PDA

View Full Version : Thenewno2

OuchHurts84
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
I can't wait to see these guys! Anyone curious about the band can check them out live in LA in the next week. They're gonna be at the Key Club on Sunset Blvd on Feb. 11. The week after that they're finally coming to the east coast, playing some cheap gigs in New York City.

They're also playing Late Night With Conan O'Brien for their first TV thing on Feb. 16, so finally everyone will be able to hear them. I've been listening to them for a while, but last year they put out "You Are Here," and things have just been looking up ever since. The music is a kind of electronic rock, but not exactly mixed together, either. Experimental at times; they call it "Post-Bristol electro-blues." And yeah, yeah, we all know who the lead singer looks like. It's hereditary!

But facial similarities aside, the band is gooooood. They're playing Coachella Saturday. I'm in a state of shock and pride at seeing how they've gone about spreading their music. And you should go see them, too.

echerrr
02-06-2009, 07:25 AM
i really wanna catch them. i got a feeling they are gonna destroy.if anyone has seen them post a review pf their set.

OuchHurts84
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Wednesday's gig at the Key Club will be streamed online on Stickam, from what I understand, so if you want to see, it's going to be there...

They did a handful of gigs there throughout September, and also streamed them on Stickam. First one was a little shakey, since they'd never performed live before, but by the end of the month the band had gotten into their element.

YouTube's got a few of their videos. They friggin' do everything themselves: direct the videos, make the album art, produce the music, distribute the music.

The album was on iTunes when it was released in August, but I don't think it's there anymore. If you find it and the EP, I recommend "Another John Doe," "Back to You," "Shelter" and "Out of Mind" for downloads. It's all good, though.

I just hope everyone else likes them.

Rockstarboy37
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
They sound way too average. Show me a song of theirs that stands out and I'll like them.

I think he gets too much credit for being George Harrison's son.

AlecEiffel
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM
OuchHurts84 I am charmed by your passion for this band and I will check them out.

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 4000
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
apparently ouchhurts forgot to mention the ONLY interesting thing about the band.. it's Dhani Harrison's band, the son of George Harrison that is. that'd be at least worth a gander.

OuchHurts84
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
apparently ouchhurts forgot to mention the ONLY interesting thing about the band.. it's Dhani Harrison's band, the son of George Harrison that is. that'd be at least worth a gander.

If that's all you're going for, then you'll be dissapointed. Go see Paul McCartney instead; he plays Beatles songs in his set. Thenewno2 does not. In my first post I said we all know who the lead singer looks like, his dad is George Harrison, yeah, yah.

But besides that, the band is great. I disagree with the boring comment, I actually think this is different than anything considered groundbreaking at the moment.

I do have a slight passion for this band...When I first heard them, all they had for the public were these little 30-second clips. I always thought it was friends jamming, and never believed it'd turn into a proper gig for these guys. Now it has, and then some. And the music got better along the way. But this is just my opinion.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of people who've actually listened to the band's music, though. Is it too weird?

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 4000
02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
i've listened to it. i enjoy the song "truly" as it seems to be the only song i can find where Dhani ISN'T singing (aside from background). i don't know, it just sounds like a young clueless experimental brit-pop band.

in other words, "experimental" and "pop" should never be uttered in the same genre.

Alchemy
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I'll have to listen to these guys. I have to listen to everybody on the line-up. I wonder if Dhani Harrison will join Paul McCartney for a few songs though.

OuchHurts84
02-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Coachella boys and girls!

Since I'm supposedly very passionate about this band and recommended them to others attending the festival this year, I thought I'd put the friendly reminder out there for those who are curious about Thenewno2 and what they sound like.

...Tonight they will be on Conan O'Brien, performing I don't know what. It will be good, though. It's their first TV anything ever, so you're witnessing freshness firsthand.

I hope you all like it. Bring on Coachella now!

casey
02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
thanks for this, this is one of the bands i want to hear more from before deciding if i should see them at coachella. i'll dvr it and check it out!

OuchHurts84
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
thanks for this, this is one of the bands i want to hear more from before deciding if i should see them at coachella. i'll dvr it and check it out!

No problem, I hope it sounds good to you :)

hancho09
02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Anybody catch them on Conan?

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 01:41 AM
I was just gonna start a thread about this, just got done watching the Conan performance...

Didn't dig the vocals at first (also wasn't aware that their lead singer is Dhani Harrison, George's kid, until I looked them up on wiki), but overall I really dug the tune they played. Had a very minor sound but was interesting.

Hopefully they're not on the same time as Blitzen Trapper on Saturday and all is well.

OuchHurts84
02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26864

OuchHurts84
02-17-2009, 06:02 AM
They played "Yomp" last night!

It was awesome. Now you can go get "You Are Here" and enjoy. You should.

See you at the desert, should be a good old party this year.

BrickTop24
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
from what ive heard they dont sound too bad.

shotglass75
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Listened to them today and was pretty impressed. Actually, I really thought it was fucking good. On my "must see" list for sure

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Have you checked out their video on the line-up page? "Choose What You're Watching" - it's good.

OuchHurts84
02-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Well damn, after the mini-hype I started, I'm glad they're getting a good response here! My friend thinks they're horrible, and I would argue with her, but she doesn't even know what Coachella is. They're gonna bring the good stuff on Saturday, then!

"Choose What You're Watching" is great. Best lyrics. Random, slightly useless trivia: The video for it was directed by the drummer, Oli. He directs all the videos.

The bit on Conan last night was probably one of their best.

shotglass75
02-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Long-shot but I wonder if Dhani Harrison will get on stage with McCartney or vice versa. Just a thought

AlecEiffel
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Long-shot but I wonder if Dhani Harrison will get on stage with McCartney or vice versa. Just a thought

He will, as will Julian Lennon and Zak Starkey (sorry Ringo, there's a theme).

shotglass75
02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
i don't believe you

AlecEiffel
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
yeah, that's because I made it up.

TallGuyCM
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Damn now with these guys, for me Saturday is looking like the best bands in the small print by a lot.

shotglass75
02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
yeah, that's because I made it up.

I'm well aware.

meemeesiko
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
They sound way too average. Show me a song of theirs that stands out and I'll like them.

I think he gets too much credit for being George Harrison's son.

What's funny about this is that I haven't heard any of the Beatles kids actually say they wanted credit for being a Beatle kid. Maybe Julian, but in all reality he's just a little bit full of himself. But so was John at one point. So it's OK. :)

Anyway, I don't listen to them because he's George's son. I listen because he's a great musician. Anyone heard "Another John Doe?" Great song.

And lastly, Dhani has never tried to advance his own career by using his father's name, wo how can you justify writing that?

And now, I sound like a total fanboy, so I'll stop here.

AlecEiffel
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Maybe Julian, but in all reality he's just a little bit full of himself. But so was John at one point.

Yeah, at one point lasting from 1960 to 1980.

OuchHurts84
02-19-2009, 07:30 AM

He already has (With Ringo too), at The Concert for George during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDBlHa4_5M

And then let's not forget at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony with Tom Petty and Prince (and that fucking solo! a classic!). Dhani's "OMG Prince is amazing" face is the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

I don't see it happening at Coachella, though. Although I heard Paul is a fan of the band, and he might give them a plug for Saturday.

PotVsKtl
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Terrible.

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 4000
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
seriously, you're all full of shit. nobody would give a FLYING FUCK about this band if Dhani Harrison wasn't in it because the music is just THAT mediocre. if it was some bizarre crazy outside-the-box kind of music than this would be another story, but it's bland drawn-out indie rubbish which is heavily DISAPPOINTING considering the heritage he fuckin' grew up with (not to mention the countless musicians he's been surrounded by).

THREAD is DEAD.

shotglass75
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I think A.W.M.E.S.O.M.-O just blew his funny fuse

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 4000
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
nah, just amazed.

and feeling assertive :)

AlecEiffel
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
ok, this guy doesn't like this band, no sense in talking about them anymore.

OuchHurts84
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
seriously, you're all full of shit. nobody would give a FLYING FUCK about this band if Dhani Harrison wasn't in it because the music is just THAT mediocre. if it was some bizarre crazy outside-the-box kind of music than this would be another story, but it's bland drawn-out indie rubbish which is heavily DISAPPOINTING considering the heritage he fuckin' grew up with (not to mention the countless musicians he's been surrounded by).

THREAD is DEAD.

No one gives a shit about what I think, but I do give a flying fuck about this band's music, and it has nothing to do with Dhani Harrison. Everyone always thinks that's why most people listen to this band, but if it was, people would listen to one song, say "mehh," and tune out. But most people don't, instead they stick around and like what they hear.

I don't listen to Sean Lennon just because it's a Lennon. If you're talking about bland and mediocre (and super pretentious) then that's the Beatle spawn you want to listen to. I think he sucks actually, and his dad doesn't make me like his music any more either.

This is my opinion. You have yours too. Sorry you don't like it, but don't put words in people's mouths. Have fun on Saturday, though. I (and many others) will be rocking out to Thenewno2

Regards.

shotglass75
02-19-2009, 07:13 PM
It's a message board guys.

hancho09
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
For the record I listened to them before any knowledge of who was in the band, and I wasn't really changed when saw you guys talking about george harrison's son, I mean it's cool that he got into music too. Maybe that led to people playing the records, but can't say that's why people like 'em. Anyways chill out, nobody gives a flying fuck about you flying off the handle about a band on the second to last line of Saturday.

OuchHurts84
03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
For those who care, a new Yahoo! blog entry featuring some footage of Thenewno2 playing one of their songs, plus an interview where they touch on their name, the band's objective (not just a band, by the way), and their influences. And for the haters, no comp-harrisons:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/whosnext/1936/thenewno2-here-comes-the-son/

You could also download a free song of theirs on AOL.

The album's out March 31. You can get it on iTunes now. Bring on Coachella Saturday. Take care.

nn2fan
03-14-2009, 07:30 PM
ta for that oh84, i think you and i are about the only ones interested in seeing this fantastic band on saturday...

Snakeface
03-15-2009, 01:18 AM
One of their tracks is downloadable for free on Rock Band 2 (Wii). I haven't seen it mentioned. Not too exciting.

OuchHurts84
03-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice article and video of "Shelter" done acoustic on rollingstone.com

Dhani Harrison’s thenewno2 Live at Rolling Stone: Up Close With the Beatle Progeny’s Band:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/03/13/dhani-harrisons-thenewno2-live-at-rolling-stone-up-close-with-the-beatle-progenys-band/

With Coachella and their album re-release on the 31st, the guys are everywhere these days...

Xenocide
03-16-2009, 02:07 PM
i don't know if anyone has brought it up before or not, but there is an entire Thenewno2 concert on youtube... i watched it a few weeks ago and it was pretty good... i have a feeling they may be Gobi closers, as their show would make more sense in the dark, and so many other saturday acts work better in the daytime...

PotVsKtl
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a feeling that if you think this band is going to close the Gobi tent you're fucking retarded.

OuchHurts84
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
You can watch their whole entire live set at Stickam.com/thenewno2.

Xenocide
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a feeling that if you think this band is going to close the Gobi tent you're fucking retarded.

if you think they're playing during the day or an outdoor stage you may be a bigger one...

djandrews25
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
You are both retarded. That is all.

psychic friend
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Is this band about a new kind of Poo?

stuporfly
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM

I've been working round the clock on this for decades, so I think I'm something of an expert on the subject: If there's a new kind of poo, it's connected to the Burgerrito, not Beatle-progeny.

At least not since Julian Lennon stopped making music.

OuchHurts84
03-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Nope, name comes from an old English television show.

Someone hasn't watched the Yahoo! video link I posted....

TheWatcher
03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
They sound interesting. They are on my list of bands to see. I didn't know that the guy was George Harrison's son.

I think this was mentioned in another thread, but they are playing at Amoeba Music on Mar 31 (http://www.amoeba.com/live-shows/performances/hollywood/2009-march-31/thenewno2/artist.html).

bohrdoms
03-23-2009, 11:41 AM
read an interview with Dhani in Blender, made him sound pretty interesting.
Listened to the album and it also sounded pretty interesting:
http://www.lala.com/#album/432627039267352923 (ooops, fixed that link)

I'm sure they'll be playing to early for me to see them. But this would be a perfect evening set when there's usually a couple minutes between any must sees and it's time to sit down somewhere and eat before cramming to the front of something.

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 4000
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
wtf, this thread is still going?

and ouchhurts, don't be so defensive over a band you don't play for. you opened up a thread for discussion, and you can't just discuss one opinion in a thread. this isn't the "say only positive things about this said band if you like said band" thread, you schmuck. so let's leave it at that.

really, i'll be there watching them for their gimmicky-ness in the same vain that thousands upon thousands will see paul mccartney for (myself included).

OuchHurts84
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM

and ouchhurts, don't be so defensive over a band you don't play for. you opened up a thread for discussion, and you can't just discuss one opinion in a thread. this isn't the "say only positive things about this said band if you like said band" thread, you schmuck. so let's leave it at that.

really, i'll be there watching them for their gimmicky-ness in the same vain that thousands upon thousands will see paul mccartney for (myself included).

I'm not being defensive, you can like or dislike whatever you want, of course. But you said people are only going to see this band because Dhani Harrison is George's son, and that's not true. Some people will see the band because of this, which is ridiculous, because so many true music enjoyers (many of whom are found at Coachella) are always saying that you should like a band because of the music, not because they're good looking, or have Beatles connections, or anything gimicky-ness and un-related to the music. But you can like or dislike whatever you want. Just don't think that everyone likes thenewno2 because of who's in the band. Like I said, if that was the only reason, people would've tuned out ages ago.

OuchHurts84
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
So who's listening to "You are Here" in its entirety on myspace.com/thenewno2 ?

"Jokes on You" needs to be on the setlist!

AlecEiffel
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM

You didn't seem interested in discussing anything, I believe you said something along the lines of "this band sucks, thread is dead", not "I don't like this band, here is the reason why, let's discuss".