PDA

View Full Version : The official Antony Hegarty appreciation thread!

guest-1185
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
So Antony is going to be pulling a double at Coachella playing with Hercules and Love Affair on Sat. followed by Antony and The Johnsons on Sun.

The guy has skills:
Hercules and Love Affair
K1tDrHeSXbs

Antony and The Johnsons
loNU4fVpO8E

I'll check out A&TJ if there aren't any brutal conflicts but I won't be missing H&LA!

Havocquarm
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I am also really excited about the Antony and the Johnsons set. I need to check out some H&LA now though!

Gribbz
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
No thanks.

D.M.B.4Coachella
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
yeah i'll pass after watching that second music video

Stickjohn
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll check out A&TJ if there aren't any brutal conflicts but I won't be missing H&LA!

Wow doesn't sound like you appreciate Antony very much. Go turn off the lights and listen to I Am A Bird Now. Then pick up the #1 album in Europe - The Crying Light - and remember he'll be leaving the middle of his European tour to come play Coachella. Listen to some of his past work with Bjork. Check out some of the covers he's done of Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, and others.

Or you could just check him out if there aren't any brutal conflicts. Enjoy Blind!

guest-1185
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Maybe I should be more specific. I really like The Crying Light and intend to see A&TJ so long as they don't conflict with YYYs>MBV>The Cure. Not to mention I'm seeing A&TJ on Feb. 28. That said, I prefer Hercules and Love Affair, it's more my speed.

Aurgasm
02-03-2009, 12:10 AM
full disclosure: i wouldnt walk into a room alone with him. that 'guy' scares the shit out of me.

i liked his rendition of "be my husband" though...

SecretPrescription
02-03-2009, 12:20 AM
i will CERTAINLY be at both antony & HLA

SecretPrescription
02-03-2009, 12:21 AM
antonys performance may very well be the best of the festival if the sound and time slot is proper

heres hoping for outdoor theater during the cure

guest-1185
02-03-2009, 02:57 AM
While I can't approve of your Cure-bashing he would be an acceptable alternative. There is no way GV puts them on at the same time though, too many crossover fans, yes? I can see him playing w/ the Johnsons during the YYYs. That would be so fucked if they put him on the outdoor during MBV, conflict and noise bleed-wise.

JelloPuddingChat
02-03-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm digging the crying light and want to check him out. That's of course if it doesn't mix with any of my must sees.

Stickjohn
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Maybe I should be more specific. I really like The Crying Light and intend to see A&TJ so long as they don't conflict with YYYs>MBV>The Cure. Not to mention I'm seeing A&TJ on Feb. 28. That said, I prefer Hercules and Love Affair, it's more my speed.

Your speed is just faster than mine! I need to listen to more Hercules and get past the Blind hype. Although I do really like that song. I'm seeing Antony on Feb 14 (Mpls) I'm really glad too, because I share your and other's concerns about when and where he'll perform. Sound wise.

pathetic disclosure: I'm going alone. On Valentines Day. maybe I'll meet somebody ...

ThomThom
02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
pathetic disclosure: I'm going alone. On Valentines Day. maybe I'll meet somebody ...

There is nothing pathetic about that man. Good luck.

James
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I will not be missing H&LA. would also like to catch Antony & the Johnsons, but I might just see them at Noise Pop instead :)

MissingPerson
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Never quite clicked with Hercules & The Love Affair, but Antony is amazing.

guest-1185
02-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Never quite clicked with Hercules & The Love Affair, but Antony is amazing.
O noez! Try again! They're so much fun!

Your speed is just faster than mine! I need to listen to more Hercules and get past the Blind hype. Although I do really like that song. I'm seeing Antony on Feb 14 (Mpls) I'm really glad too, because I share your and other's concerns about when and where he'll perform. Sound wise.

Thatís not pathetic. Maybe youíll meet someone doing the same thing and voila! Last year on Valentines Day I drank a decent bottle of vodka by myself and watched movies... that was pathetic. But I learned a lot about my drinking ability that night, so glass half full.

Foucault
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Good interview with Antony on today's Fresh Air:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100162285

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I just listened to the A&TJ songs I fell In love with the dead boy and cripple and the starfish and I'm mesmerised.

What is a good album by them that relates to more material like the songs I mentioned?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I am stoke to see Antony but they are playing on the most stacked day of the festival for me...conflicts are already brewing...

jazzz
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
amazing talent! I love "I'm a bird now" record.

Another Marc Almond!

Also for dark souls check out his work with CURRENT 93 "Black Ships Ate The Sky" record

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I see him playing with A&TJ sometime earlier in the day in the Mojave. At least that's kind of what I'm hoping for

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
one more thing:

He is really depressing but I love his voice.

Sounds like Jack Grisham on Perfect Day by T.S.O.L.

humanoid
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I really like the songwriting, lyrical content and overall vibe, but I can't get into his voice for more than a song at a time

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
his voice is very haunting but I guess it just takes time to get used to

Mariano
02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
He has such an amazing voice! The only problem is that everything I've listened from him is sooo depressing =/
I may watch him for a while but I can't imagine myself watching the whole set

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
if he plays in the sun it seems like he'll melt

Bud Luster
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I love threads about people I have never heard of! Excellent work Antony Hegarty, you have my appreciation!

MissingPerson
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
As cracking as Boarderwoozel's youtube of this is, I do think this is the one for me.

6kMIFDm7rS8

danteb
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
As cracking as Boarderwoozel's youtube of this is, I do think this is the one for me.

6kMIFDm7rS8

truly fuckin brilliant

cansei de ser sexme
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
i saw him when he came to LA with the LA phil at the disney hall with A&TJ. I could not believe that no one on here went to that show. Nice to see some love.

This was the set list for those curious...

1. Mysteries of Love (Julee Cruise cover)
2. Christina's Farm (new song)
3. Cripple and the Starfish
4. For Today I Am a Boy
5. (I Fell In Love With A) Dead Boy
6. Kiss My name (new)
7. Everglade (new)
8. Rapture
9. Ghost (new)
10. Another World (new ep)
11. Crazy in Love (Beyonce cover)
12. Everything is New
13. Her Eyes Are Underneath the Ground (new)

Encore:
14. River of Sorrow

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
thanks for that list but I gotta say, a beyonce cover?
what is that about?

oh and why did you put certain songs in bold?

MissingPerson
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
lol @ Crazy In Love.

And not to be all casual-fangirl, but Hope There's Someone should be on there.

MissingPerson
02-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I once heard a British journalist swear that a pop song was a great pop song if you could imagine Elvis Presley singing it. I can imagine Elvis singing Crazy In Love.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow. I thought those two songs I heard from him were depressing.
I'm now listening to Black Stars and more material and now I'm just curious as to what time and what stage he will be playing at the festival.

Should be an interesting contrast

Stickjohn
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Good interview with Antony on today's Fresh Air:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100162285

Having a radio moment here. Don't click on this link unless you have 38 minutes and 54 seconds to devote to it. It's very good. Discusses H&LA too :) Thanks Foucault!

PS Yes there is music - old and new.

cansei de ser sexme
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
thanks for that list but I gotta say, a beyonce cover?
what is that about?

oh and why did you put certain songs in bold?

oh sorry I put the ones in bold that were fucking briliant. Like if it is anything like that at coachella it will win the weekend.

the beyonce cover.

zGtmwZjGjyw

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Anthony is so strange to watch live judging from that video.
He has no shame.

But his rendition of that song is pretty dark but enjoyable

cansei de ser sexme
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
David byrne does a cover too.

1HUBoOeZUVg

now back to antony...

River of sorrow, the best song played that evening.
jrXr2I62S-k

ps the song starts at 5:10

musicfan66
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Saw Antony and the Johnsons in D.C. last night, and have to say I was extremely impressed. I highly recommend checking them out. My only concern is where they get placed. Hopefully, they will play the Outdoor Stage during a set change at the main stage, and not in the Mohave when there is a loud DJ in the Sahara. They played in a synagogue here which had fantastic acoustics and was a great venue. The backing band consisted of six other people besides Antony (cello, two violins, drummer two guitars).

The setlist was heavy from the the new CD, The Crying Light as well as quite a few from I Am a Bird Now and a few from Another World EP. Can't wait to see them again!

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I can't see them playing earlier in the day but I have the feeling they'll get booked at that time. But I'm sure they'll be good no matter what

echerrr
02-06-2009, 07:41 AM
antony is a woman

hahahahahahaha oh shit thats funny

James
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
antony is a woman

hahahahahahaha oh shit thats funny

he's transgender actually.

though one day he'll grow up and be a beautiful woman.

KungFuJay
02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I actually hope he sings Leonard Cohen's "If It Be Your Will." I didn't like this version at first but now it absolutely kills me every time.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MDlMdu2gjw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MDlMdu2gjw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

summerkid
02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
While I can't approve of your Cure-bashing he would be an acceptable alternative. There is no way GV puts them on at the same time though, too many crossover fans, yes? I can see him playing w/ the Johnsons during the YYYs. That would be so fucked if they put him on the outdoor during MBV, conflict and noise bleed-wise.

I really really hope he doesn't conflict with YYYs, MBV or the Cure i really really want to see him. My honest opinion is the outdoor theatre closes down shop rather early on Sunday because anyone that plays on there during MBV would get drowned out and last year they didnt have anyone playing during the headliners.

gooftroop
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I am really pumped to see if Antony comes out for some Hercules tracks, that first video is great but will be sooo much better if he is there! I have been wearing that album out, one of my number one acts to see on Saturday!

i will surely see Antony and the Johnsons too provided they don't conflict with MBV. YEAH!

Rockstarboy37
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Antony and The Johnsons
loNU4fVpO8E

How can you stand the sound of that guys voice. It's like rusty razorblades digging into my eardrums.

Rashomon
02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
amazing talent! I love "I'm a bird now" record.

Another Marc Almond!

Also for dark souls check out his work with CURRENT 93 "Black Ships Ate The Sky" record

I second this recommendation. Both Antony and Marc Almond's performances on the record are pretty incredible.

Stickjohn
02-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Just back from seeing Antony and the Johnsons' show in Mpls. I've been a fan since I first heard him in 2005. I'm still getting into the new album but I've about wore out I Am A Bird Now. Tonight was first time seeing him, played a small theater seating about a 1000 ...not quite full but very close to it.

Amazing. Fantastic. Incredible. etc. His band is REALLY good, and I think they'll pull off an outdoor show just fine. Everything I saw and heard just makes me like him more.

I guarantee this - where ever and when ever he plays at Coachella, there will be more people watching at the end of the show than the beginning. It will be one of those shows that sucks in people walking by.

AND - I met him:) Did the old "stake out the tour bus" and it was freaking cold. I kept the interaction very short - he was with friends and didn't actually get on the bus- but he was really sweet. Actually apologized - "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were out here. It's really cold!" And for those wondering, there is absolutely nothing freakish about him in person. Blue jeans, army style coat, long hair, taller than I expected, softer voice but not the falsetto he uses sometimes - he just came across as a very gentle person that was genuinely flattered someone would wait for a chance to meet him. I'm sure I could have talked to him longer or asked for a picture or just walked down the street with him but I really was trying to be respectful. I did tell him I would see him at Coachella, of course.

rage patton
02-15-2009, 02:23 AM
Where is it confirmed he will be singing with Hercules and Love Affair?

Stickjohn
02-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm not aware of any actual confirmation and didn't ask him - I think people are just assuming it will happen. My knowledge of Hercules is not deep and I know there's more than "Blind" but that really has been a huge hit for them. What are their choices - not do it? Do it with a prerecorded vocal track when Antony is already in town and performing the next day? I don't know but I'm starting to worry about Saturday - there's a LOT I want to see below the headliners.

deeznutz
02-15-2009, 09:02 AM
He actually sings on a few tracks on the H&LA album. I'm crossing my fingers that he'll play with them, I mean seriously they're at the same festival together. I'm sure they'll make it something special.

shotglass75
02-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I actually hope he sings Leonard Cohen's "If It Be Your Will." I didn't like this version at first but now it absolutely kills me every time.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MDlMdu2gjw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MDlMdu2gjw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was just going to post this vid. It's pretty amazing. Has a Spiritualized feel to it towards the end

rage patton
02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not aware of any actual confirmation and didn't ask him - I think people are just assuming it will happen. My knowledge of Hercules is not deep and I know there's more than "Blind" but that really has been a huge hit for them. What are their choices - not do it? Do it with a prerecorded vocal track when Antony is already in town and performing the next day? I don't know but I'm starting to worry about Saturday - there's a LOT I want to see below the headliners.

Some other dude sings in his place. I have never heard him, but apparently he almost sounds exactly like Antony.

Genedefekt
02-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah it's a hot tranny. He/She is really good!

Boourns
02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
I really like the songwriting, lyrical content and overall vibe, but I can't get into his voice for more than a song at a time

Seconded.

shotglass75
02-15-2009, 10:25 AM
I could see how after a few songs the voice could get to you. Who knows? I'll try and check him out if there are no other conflicts. Not a must see but a we'll see

MissingPerson
02-15-2009, 11:41 AM
That sounds like a rather sweet encounter, Stickjohn.

Stickjohn
02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah it's a hot tranny. He/She is really good!

Nomi ! I was about to say I don't think she could fill in on Blind and started looking for a pic, but just read in different thread that in fact she does. More info on Hercules and Nomi here (and kudos to Foucault in August!) http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21732

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Antony will be on David Letterman 2/18 - read this in another thread (and verified at Letterman's website.)

That could be an interesting interview.

cansei de ser sexme
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
K1tDrHeSXbs

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Listened to 'The Crying Light' a couple of days ago. What am I missing here? Worst album I've heard in '09 so far, by a long shot.

cansei de ser sexme
02-17-2009, 06:35 PM
so then what is the best album of 2009 so far?

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
so then what is the best album of 2009 so far?

Merriweather Post Pavilion.

cansei de ser sexme
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Figures....

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Figures....

How does that figure? Because that's what everyone's saying at this point in the year?

I'm not saying the Antony album is terrible...from what people are saying it sounds like it's a grower after multiple listens...at this point I just prefer his role in Hercules.

cansei de ser sexme
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Listened to 'The Crying Light' a couple of days ago. What am I missing here? Worst album I've heard in '09 so far, by a long shot.

I'm not saying the Antony album is terrible...from what people are saying it sounds like it's a grower after multiple listens...at this point I just prefer his role in Hercules.

you pretty much were.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Go to Sasquatch :)

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Go to Sasquatch :)

Huh? Why?

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Animal Collective? Isn't that the band you liked this year?

cansei de ser sexme
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
animal collective is there and antony is not.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm not familiar with them - had to search to get your Merritweather reference. Saw Sasquatch on their MySpace - after a show here in Mpls at 1st Ave. Looks like it's sold out already I just tried to get a ticket.

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah I would rather see like 30 bands at Coachella this year than Animal Collective. Already seeing them on the 26th in Hollywood.

And I live in LA, Coachella's a 3 hour trip vs. a super expensive trip to Washington for Sasquatch.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
cansei - what's your take on Antony performing with Hercules? I've heard he doesn't perform live with them and Noni does Blind - like in the video you posted. Have to say I like it better with Antony.

cansei de ser sexme
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
i don't know, YOU PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE ASKED HIM!

haha just messing with you, but i really do not know. I am sure he will be at coachella on friday to see leonard cohen so he might be in the area on saturday so why not?

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Makes sense Tall GuyCM. Hey I just tried and failed to get a ticket to Animal Collective. But yeah Coachella by all means. And Antony - just go see someone else. I'm a big fan but I'm still surprised at how popular his new album is in Europe. Chart topping. I like Antony, but I don't really expect other people to, or at least I understand when they don't.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah ...kinda kicking myself on that one. I kinda like the suspense though.

Jman4321
02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I Am a Bird Now won the Mercury Prize so I'm sure that's given him some sort of a boost in Europe. I'm seeing them at Noise Pop so most likely I'm going to skip Coachella's set if something interesting conflicts.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Damn. I had to go look up what Noise Pop was. That sounds cool. Antony should do rather well there. Get there early!

Jman4321
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
It's seated. And i have like side stage... I waited a bit too long for tickets.

HunterGather
02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
BWV4N-ZcDJg

WilliamTaft
02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
i was really really let down by The Crying Light. boooooring.
i love I am a Bird Now though.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 07:20 PM
That video is totally tripping me out. that's great thanks

WilliamTaft
02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
the song he does with bjork was the first time i ever heard him. i love that song.

you know it's a recitation of a poem from an old USSR movie called "Stalker"? i've been looking all over for that movie. from Tarkovsky, who directed the original Solaris, which was amazing. so i have high expectations.

MissingPerson
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
You should check out the game.

Stickjohn
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm watching the dots of light form faces and going whoaaa and this guy's talking about old USSR movies. I feel so inadequate now.

vinylmartyr
02-17-2009, 08:34 PM
He sound a lot like Andy Bey.

TallGuyCM
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Watched Antony play on Letterman last night with an open mind. But seriously, what the fuck??? Is he trying to look like Boy George or something? I really don't understand all the hype surrounding this guy...

miSTEVEious
02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
i aint gay or nothin but that there is one sexy lead singer

James
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Watched Antony play on Letterman last night with an open mind. But seriously, what the fuck??? Is he trying to look like Boy George or something? I really don't understand all the hype surrounding this guy...

Just a hunch, but I think his popularity might have something to do with his music, not the way he looks.

TallGuyCM
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Just a hunch, but I think his popularity might have something to do with his music, not the way he looks.

My comment on his looks was separate from my comment on his music. Ass.

So just for James, let me rephrase this: I don't understand all the hype surrounding this guy's music.

Happy, fuck fuck?

higgybaby23
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I had a lukewarm response to my first listen to Hercules and Love Affair. Then I decided to give it another try after a week or so. With each subsequent listen, I found myself getting hooked. I finally decided to find out more about Antony, as his tracks were my favorites from H+LA. Now I've purchased The Crying Light and will hunt down all of Antony's other work. I just realized Pitchfork had named "Blind" song of the year for 2008 as I was preparing to champion the song to my friends that had not been turned onto Antony. Irony?

guest-1185
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Antony is a solid writer, is a very good singer with an unique voice and his music translates very well live. But it's like any other music. Either you like it or you don't. There isn't much else to say about it.

As for his looks, he's a quirky individual for sure and I seriously doubt he's trying to be anyone other than himself.

lickety_spit
02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
this is the guy that sings the chorus on cocorosie's "beautiful boyz," no?

lickety_spit
02-22-2009, 01:12 AM
...so... "The official Antony Hegarty depreciation thread" then?

Stickjohn
02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
this is the guy that sings the chorus on cocorosie's "beautiful boyz," no?

Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Hegarty

sonnyboy11
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
What an incredible voice he has. Both bands are high on my list of 'must sees'.

Jman4321
02-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I just got back from his performance in SF. It relied heavily on songs from The Crying Light with a few older tunes and covers thrown in (including "Crazy In Love" by Beyonce). The songs from The Crying Light got beefed up a lot by his backing band, so much so that songs like "Kiss My Name" gained a propulsive charge surprisingly. Overall it was really good and am looking forward to seeing him again at the polo fields more than ever. Also, "Shake That Devil" is incredible live".

Thanks for the correction

send me ctrpllrs
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Shake That Devil is an amazing song. I really hope to see it at Coachella, probably more than any others. Seems like it would be even better live.

zajaa
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
The guy has skills:
Hercules and Love Affair
K1tDrHeSXbs

am i missing something here? a.) why is antony not singing this track? that woman is very good but it's just not the same. b.) did anyone notice this crowd is definitely not boogeying? if this does not make you dance then seriously what does

Stickjohn
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
a) From what I've read on here, Antony does not tour or perform live with Hercules & Love Affair very often. Noni sings his parts.

b) think that has more to do with camera shots than the music? there'll definitely be dancing at Coachella.

The question is whether Antony will perform with Hercules on Saturday, before his own set on Sunday. Let's hope so.

zajaa
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
a) From what I've read on here, Antony does not tour or perform live with Hercules & Love Affair very often. Noni sings his parts.

b) think that has more to do with camera shots than the music? there'll definitely be dancing at Coachella.

The question is whether Antony will perform with Hercules on Saturday, before his own set on Sunday. Let's hope so.

YAHH i bet it will happen. tell that trick to take a seat and let AH do his thing

mschirmersf
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Last night was the A&TJ's show in Nob Hill in San Francisco.
It was amazing as expected. It was my first time seeing him and he was mesmerizing. The great thing about the show is that he totally connected with the audience by telling little stories in between songs. There were some hilarious ones. I also liked that he wasn't afraid to start over if he fucked up. His voice is so brilliant the man can do no wrong. I can't wait to see what he does at Coachella. Hopefully, he will play with HLA too. I would love to see "Blind" live. It's alright with the Latina chick, but it's Antony's voice that makes that song.

James
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Shake That Devil is an amazing song. I really hope to see it at Coachella, probably more than any others. Seems like it would be even better live.

I would die happy if he played that song.

Rockstarboy37
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
You're all on drugs

TallGuyCM
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
You're all on drugs

I'm with you on that one.

beltanegoddess
02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I was at the show in SF on Tuesday night as well. Who knew that the great Nina Simone would be reincarnated as a pasty-white, pudgy, oddly dramatic transgendered Brit? He was absolutely amazing and I fell head over heels in love.

guest-1185
02-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Dammit! My roommates have volunteered our house to host a friend's birthday dinner and party on Sat. but Sat. is the Antony show! I either look like an asshole and bail on my friend's birthday/party at my own house or sell my ticket. My conscious says sell the ticket. This sucks...

Stickjohn
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
You're not bailing if you had prior plans. Maybe you can do the dinner and then go to the show? Skip the opener? It really is very good as I'm sure you've read in this the thread YOU STARTED :)

TallGuyCM
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/boy_george.jpg

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1535663module9801318photo_1212434804anto ny.jpg

Stickjohn
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Just listened to the new Dark Is The Night album(AIDS fundraiser - go here for details if not familiar - http://www.myspace.com/DarkWasTheNight Quite the collection of artists.

Surprised to hear Antony doing an old Dylan song "I was Young When I Left Home." Bryce Dessner of The National accompanies him on acoustic guitar and it's amazingly good.

Antony has been busy lately.

guest-1185
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
You're not bailing if you had prior plans. Maybe you can do the dinner and then go to the show? Skip the opener? It really is very good as I'm sure you've read in this the thread YOU STARTED :)

I ended up begrudgingly selling my ticket. Oh well, the party was a great success.

vinylmartyr
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
GIwEiarttXc

MissingPerson
03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Just listened to the new Dark Was The Night album(AIDS fundraiser - go here for details if not familiar - http://www.myspace.com/DarkWasTheNight Quite the collection of artists.

Seriously, I can't recommend it enough.

I thought Antony's song dragged a bit though. I've been routinely shouted down on this point in conversations with my friends however, so I am open to the possibility of ear failure on my part.

Genedefekt
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know if this was posted before but I'm so blown away by this right now that I must post it.

http://pitchfork.tv/pitchfork-live/antony-the-johnsons

Will he play Coachella with this whole band?!

They might have just jumped into my #1 spot for Sunday.

Edit: Watch the whole thing by the way, the last song KILLS.

LooseAtTheZoo
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know if this was posted before but I'm so blown away by this right now that I must post it.

http://pitchfork.tv/pitchfork-live/antony-the-johnsons

Will he play Coachella with this whole band?!

They might have just jumped into my #1 spot for Sunday.

Edit: Watch the whole thing by the way, the last song KILLS.

He already was one of my tops for Sunday. They also have a podcast now on NPRs all songs considered. Is it the same show?

Stickjohn
03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Yes - the Washington D.C. synagogue show. It was actually a joint "venture" by Pitchfork and NPR from what I just read. There's a great interview of Antony by Terry Gross archived too - some music in it too (audio only.) Seeing Antony live and with his BAND is very, very cool.

TallGuyCM
03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Genedefekt;1062630]Will he play Coachella with this whole band?!QUOTE]

When he played on Letterman a few weeks ago it wasn't with all of the violinists and everything. So I wouldn't count on it.

cansei de ser sexme
03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
So now that devendra Banhart is on sunday who thinks he might stop in for a guest appearance?

Rasputin1981
03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm still crossing my fingers for Antony with the love affair on Saturday... But who knows. I thought Ghostface would show up for Amy Winehouse a few years back. That would've made it all better

LooseAtTheZoo
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
So now that devendra Banhart is on sunday who thinks he might stop in for a guest appearance?

Have they colloborated together before? I wasn't aware of this

cansei de ser sexme
03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
He sings on "Spiraling" w/ antony on I Am a Bird Now. They sound surprisingly similar in that song.

LooseAtTheZoo
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
He sings on "Spiraling" w/ antony on I Am a Bird Now. They sound surprisingly similar in that song.

No wonder I missed that one.

I remember when you posted the video of him singing Hope There's Someone a while back, and me telling myself how awesome it would be to see him but it wouldn't happen...now I'm afraid I won't be able to tear myself away from the Sahara.

Stickjohn
03-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Time to bump Antony. Tomorrow (3/15) Antony opens his European tour with a sold out show in in Bergen, Norway. In fact, 12 of the 15 European shows before Coachella are sold out (not counting a recent invite to perform at the Teenage Cancer Trust benefit in London.)

Go here to listen to Mark Wheat of The Current, MN Public Radio's amazing indie/alt/rock station, interviewing Antony on 2/14 before his Minneapolis show.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/02/14/antony_and_the_johnsons/

And here's his 2/18 appearance on David Letterman:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4TeUQVMXSQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4TeUQVMXSQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LooseAtTheZoo
03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Can someone post the setlists from his European shows here?

tamara
03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I just listened to the A&TJ songs I fell In love with the dead boy and cripple and the starfish and I'm mesmerised.

These are my favorite songs as well. Along with Twilight. Do you think he will perform these with such a broad audience? I hope so.
I have listened to his new album and as much as it is beautiful it lacks the dark edginess that made me appreciate him as an artist. Regardless,
Coachella will be my first time seeing him live and I am sooooo excited.

aguila26
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I cannot change you but Time Will ...

Alchemy
03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Something tells me that while Antony is making the Outdoor Theatre crowd sob with heartache, The Kills will probably be killing the Mojave Tent, or The Brian Jonestown Massacre will make a massacre in the Mojave Tent, or Throbbing Gristle will be gristling the Mojave Tent... There can be only one--Highlander!

LooseAtTheZoo
03-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I heard an Antony song in the background of the movie trailer for FUEL today, but I can't recall exactly which song it was.

tricorne
03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
You're going to make me cry, Tim. Is that what you want? Is that what you're trying to do here?

tricorne
03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm sobbing and wringing a lacy handkerchief right now. You're a jerk. A JERK.

Alchemy
03-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Hannah, where in the hell have you been? You think you can disappear for weeks and make it up by making a Happy Birthday thread and then disappear again? While you're out there hannahing around, I've been sitting here alone at a table for two, staring at a candle flame that burns between me and a door that will not open, because no, Hannah will not be coming home tonight, and then the baby starts crying again in its crib, every single night, and although it isn't old enough to speak, I know its cries are saying, "Where is Hannah? Is Hannah coming home today? I want Hannah," but how was I to know that Hannah would be hiding in the shadows of an Antony Hegarty thread? How was I supposed to know!?

tricorne
03-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Look, Tim. You and that baby are important to me. You know this. But I have other families, too. I have to make the rounds. I would be remiss as a breadwinner if I did not spend equal time with each one of my stay-at-homes. Maybe if, every once in a while, you had dinner on the table when I came home from the office instead of lounging around poolside painting your fingernails and chatting with Cyndi from the salon, I'd be a little more excited to spend time with you.

tricorne
03-22-2009, 07:56 PM
And, for the love of God, take those damn curlers out of your hair. You look ridiculous.

Alchemy
03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I paint my fingernails and talk to Cyndi from the salon so that I could be beautiful for you. I've seen your other families, Hannah. I know you're a shark for the young fish, and I certainly am not growing any younger. I can only imagine what the others say:

"Seeing your grand-dad today are you, Hannah? Gonna' tango with time himself? Has he been rusting well? When you touch him does he dissolve off into the wind, or does he crumple like a burlap sack? Is that really hair on his head, or has he grown mold with age?"

Well I don't care what they say. So I lived through the Clinton administration, saw the planes hit the Twin Towers on non-high-definition television, recorded music off the radio with rectangles called "cassette tapes," surfed the "world wide web" through a telephone line, and wore a fanny pack. I bet those other families don't love you like I do, and I mean real love, like I would declare war against the country that exiled you, a love that could only be eaten with a bottle of $500 wine. Just remember, Hannah: I was there before Hannah Inc. I was there when you were sweeping the floors, learning the tips of the trade from discarded business magazines, listening to the conversations of passerby capitalists, with nothing in your purse but ambitions--and you couldn't buy anything with ambition in those days. You remember, Hannah.

tricorne
03-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Wait. Time out from playing broken home for a minute and tell me about this New York business.

Alchemy
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
It appears that this Fall, I shall be moving out of El Paso and into Manhattan (William Street in the Financial District, to be exact). I'll working toward an MFA in Creative Writing at the New School.

tricorne
03-22-2009, 08:24 PM
That's very exciting. I'm a combination of proud of you and worried that you won't have time to be friends with me on the internet anymore.

Stickjohn
03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
This is really rude in a thread people are actually interested in following. Both of you GO AWAY NOW.

Alchemy
03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
No need to worry, Hannah. I have the T-Mobile G1 Google phone. I am the internet. I am with you all the time, every where, like an invisible force.

Stickjohn
I heard an Antony song in the background of the movie trailer for FUEL today, but I can't recall exactly which song it was.

The documentary about energy? I watched the trailer and didn't hear him - do you have a link or something?

tricorne
This is really rude in a thread people are actually interested in following. Both of you GO AWAY NOW.

Those were all veiled A&TJ references. A true fan would have gotten them.

Alchemy
03-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I was practically writing out the exact lyrics of "Kiss My Name."

LooseAtTheZoo
03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
The documentary about energy? I watched the trailer and didn't hear him - do you have a link or something?

Every video of it seems to have been taken down, but when I find on I'll post it

kreutz2112
03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
You know what albums suck? Kid A and OK Computer by Radiohead. How can anyone listen to that garbage.

mfnalaska
03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Is Antony a regular fixture in HATL, or just on "Blind"? I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I am hooked on that song.

guest-1185
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
The whole album is really good. Antony sings on a few songs but is normally replaced by Nomi Ruiz live. Hopefully he sings for Coachella.

Stickjohn
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Antony is everywhere ...http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28795

Optimistic
03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I think Antony might've surpassed MBV as my #1 must-see on Sunday. Crazy I know, but I've been in love with him for so long and when I got the s/t album yesterday, it might've put him over the top.