stinkbutt?
Cookieman908?
gweilo?
Instinct?
Beef Jerky?

anyone else?

Sushov23
10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I would love to be included in this, but i think it's Roo, and Lolla for me next summer.

Backwater
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Lolla over Sasquatch, really? Have you already been to the Gorge?

idrive1life
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I'll be @ Fuji Rock 20?? fo sho!

suprefan
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM

He has never been, he doesnt know what a beautiful place the Gorge is.. He would rather take the dust and yucky of Roo over it.

Backwater
10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Didn't he see all of ragepatton's pictures?

Sushov23
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Oh shit I forgot to mention, I'm doing Either Sasquatch or Langerado as a spring time fest(well sasquatch wouldn't really count right) I still have one graduation gift unsued(a 350 credit limit on any flight I want). what sucks is that it expires June 10th I think.

Sushov23
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
He has never been, he doesnt know what a beautiful place the Gorge is.. He would rather take the dust and yucky of Roo over it.

Don't be scared of the Roo man.

Backwater
10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
suprefan is absolutely petrified of hippies. He would be terrified all three days.

Sushov23
10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
is'nt it 4 days? He is a pussy, it's been proven. The Muslism are fucking great, people need to check them out.

Backwater
10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Well, three and a half, some people make a whole week out of it and arrive a few days early and leave a couple days after. The party gets started the preceding Monday.

Sasquatch or Langerado? That's a no brainer. I don't think you realize how much of a massive, epic FAIL it is to move Langerado from the swamp to the middle of one of the worst fucking cities on the planet. Fuck Langerado, I'm almost as pissed as salah about that and I live on the opposite side of the country.

shakermaker113
10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I'll go. I'm going to all festivals next summer.

oh wait, that's what I said this year. hmm...

Sushov23
10-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, three and a half, some people make a whole week out of it and arrive a few days early and leave a couple days after. The party gets started the preceding Monday.

Sasquatch or Langerado? That's a no brainer. I don't think you realize how much of a massive, epic FAIL it is to move Langerado from the swamp to the middle of one of the worst fucking cities on the planet. Fuck Langerado, I'm almost as pissed as salah about that and I live on the opposite side of the country.

well for me the thing is that langerado REALLY impressed me with their line up last year, as did sasquatch(actually the last 3 years have been great lineups). We will see when the lineups come out, I do like that sasquatch has camping, so it automatically will be A LOT cheaper than Langerado.

rage patton
10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Fuji Rock 09! I seriously hope I can go. This festival looks too amazing. This year, Gogol Bordello got two sets, both an hour long. One was at 4 in the afternoon on the mainstage, the other was a few hours later at 2am in a small tent called "The Funkin' Gypsies Tent." No joke. Rodrigo y Gabriela played right after them too I think. RyG played 3 sets over the weekend as well.

Sasquatch was awesome this year. I really enjoyed it. The gorge is a great venue and the stages are very well laid out. 2 complains though. The food is shitty beyond all reason. Do whatever you can to bring/make your own food. Outside food is allowed inside the venue. Also, when there are no bands on you want to see, there is NOTHING to do. A couple booths to check out... but thats it. Actually, just taking in the suroundings takes up a bunch of time. But other than THAT, there is basically nothing to do.
But the venue, camping, acts, set up... its pretty damn nice. But since I am either going to Bonnaroo or Fuji Rock next year, I don't think I will hit up Sasquatch this time.

Backwater
10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Find some pictures of the Gorge and you'll make up your mind really fast, it's amazing!!! Rivaled only by Red Rocks as the best venue in the country.

Backwater
10-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Also, when there are no bands on you want to see, there is NOTHING to do.

Drugzzz!!!!

Sushov23
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
when was the sasquatch lineup announced last year? I was actually gonna go, I think I told rage about it. What wound up happening was that my graduation party was that saturday. So I had to bail on sasquatch this year.

rage patton
10-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Sasquatch always anouces their line up late in relativity to everyone else. This year, it was a week or two even later than normal. Typically, it is anouced mid-Febuary... usually a week or two after Bonnaroo. This year, it wasn't anounced until Febuary 25.

PassiveTheory
10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Can't afford this. Have fun!

shakermaker113
10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
um. so since we are talking about fuji, when does its lineup get announced?

rage patton
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Usually the partial line up is anounced late Febuay/early March... I think.

Boourns
10-22-2008, 01:28 AM
I really, really hope Portishead, Massive Attack, Jarvis Cocker play. The latter two have albums next year, have played the fest before, and as for Portishead, well, their agency lists them as available for headlining in 2009. I guess a dance act like The Chemical Bros or The Prodigy would be a headliner, too.

paulb
10-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Chem Bros headlined in 2007 with the Beastie Boys and The Cure...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-22-2008, 05:10 AM
I really really want to say yes to this.

rskapcat
10-22-2008, 05:26 AM
The only way I could do this is if my company paid for it. The husband has always wanted to go to Japan, and I love music festivals, so win-win. If for some reason they decide to offer me an international trip of my choice, Fuji Rock 09 wins. :)

Boourns
10-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Chem Bros headlined in 2007 with the Beastie Boys and The Cure...

Yeah, that year had a sweet lineup.

rage patton
10-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Fuji Rock 09.

Portishead, The Prodigy, David Bowie

SHA-WING!

paulb
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Josh, did u see the idea i posed for you in the Bonnaroo thread?

CalmerThanYou
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I just looked at the Fuji Rock '08 line up, FUCK do they have a lot of people there....sheesh.

eudaemonia
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
How are you (tentative attendees) planning on going to this?

I speak no Japanese so I'm afraid to make my way around and saw there was a tour package (http://www.insidejapantours.com/index.php?content=Fuji%20Rock&include=no) that catered to interested parties, but if there are better alternatives...? (Speak up plz.)

It's hella pricey. I wonder what the exchange rate will be next year.

Cdubby
10-22-2008, 09:27 AM
how much are plane tickets? this must cost like 2000 bucks all together........

paulb
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
at least...

rage patton
10-22-2008, 11:08 AM

I speak no Japanese so I'm afraid to make my way around and saw there was a tour package (http://www.insidejapantours.com/index.php?content=Fuji%20Rock&include=no) that catered to interested parties, but if there are better alternatives...? (Speak up plz.)

So, in Canadian dollars, for two people it would cost $1,377.16 which actually isn't too bad.

A quick search on Expedia shows round trip flights from Vancouver from $1,227 and up.

Boourns
10-22-2008, 01:50 PM
so I am guessing I need 5 grand if I want to go to japan for a couple weeks, yes? I will have $1600 saved by end of October.

sbessiso
10-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Man, you're gunna go buck wild over there. Make sure you pace yourself and try to wear protection some of the time, yes?

rage patton
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
so I am guessing I need 5 grand if I want to go to japan for a couple weeks, yes? I will have $1600 saved by end of October.

My fiancee and I were thinking of spending 2 weeks in Japan. Travelling from top to bottom, and making Fuji Rock just part of the trip. We wanna see the ancient temples and shit. But I don't think that would cost $5 grand. I think it could be done for more like $2,500. If you do it properly.

iv3rdawG
10-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Hmm...maybe? I'd really love to do this.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-22-2008, 04:07 PM

I say that is about right...remember Tokyo is Takai dese ne! (Expensive) so don't be too shocked.

Boourns
10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
$1250 flight
$100 passport
$400 Fuji Rock ticket
$30 camping pass (comparatively cheap)
plus ~10 days of accommodations, food, transportation (bullet train from Tokyo to Fuji Rock is apparently $65 each way, btw), activities, new toys, booze, attractions, etc

And I must get a new camera and some nice clothes for going to fancy restaurants and clubs and such, but that is stuff I needed, anyway.

rage patton
10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Fuji Rock tickets come out to $400? Ouch...

sbessiso
10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
*coughbonnaroocough*

Boourns
10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
If Bonnaroo moves to a ski resort in Japan, I'll go instead.

sbessiso
10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I've given up on you Boourns (no offense). I dont really think Bonnaroo might be your cup of tea, all jokes aside, people have complained a lot about the dust (never a problem for me). I wouldnt want you to travel all the way there just so you can get sick, that wouldnt be very fun. Plus, my SpideySense tells me you have a thing for the japanese girls and whatnot, dont ask me how I know this. But you in Japan seems like it would be a dream cum true.

There is still hope for Ragey, although it seems he's officially thrown his hat into the FujiRock ring.

rage patton
10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Sorry guys. Unless either a)Kathleen Hannah (in some form) is at Bonnaroo or b)I run into an extra 2 grand or more... It looks like I will be hitting up Fuji Rock.

With that being said, you can still try to convince me. Also, we should let the line ups do some of the talking.

fumfum
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
My fiancee and I were thinking of spending 2 weeks in Japan. Travelling from top to bottom, and making Fuji Rock just part of the trip. We wanna see the ancient temples and shit. But I don't think that would cost $5 grand. I think it could be done for more like $2,500. If you do it properly.

You should definately visit Kyoto. Kyoto is very beautiful city. There are nice and beautoful temples, and you can see geisha. The bullet train is very expensive in here, but for foreigners, there is called Japan Rail Pass, you can buy outside of Japan. I guess you can buy travel agency in aboroad. When you arrive in Japan, you can exchange in airport. It is very good deal. For ' days, it costs about 300 bucks, for 14 days, it is about 450 bucks. You can travel all over Japan with it.

Boourns
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
You should definately visit Kyoto. Kyoto is very beautiful city. There are nice and beautoful temples, and you can see geisha. The bullet train is very expensive in here, but for foreigners, there is called Japan Rail Pass, you can buy outside of Japan. I guess you can buy travel agency in aboroad. When you arrive in Japan, you can exchange in airport. It is very good deal. For ' days, it costs about 300 bucks, for 14 days, it is about 450 bucks. You can travel all over Japan with it.

Thanks for the tip.

So will fumfum be gracing us with an appearance at Fuji Rock next year?

Josh, I saw Le Tigre open for Beck back in 2005. Now that they are on hiatus, is Kathleen doing anything lately?

Deviate_420
10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
This is gonna be epic. Where is the line up if posted anywhere yet.

Boourns
10-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I think the first batch of band announcements comes in March.

Boourns
10-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I've given up on you Boourns (no offense). I dont really think Bonnaroo might be your cup of tea, all jokes aside, people have complained a lot about the dust (never a problem for me). I wouldnt want you to travel all the way there just so you can get sick, that wouldnt be very fun. Plus, my SpideySense tells me you have a thing for the japanese girls and whatnot, dont ask me how I know this. But you in Japan seems like it would be a dream cum true.

There is still hope for Ragey, although it seems he's officially thrown his hat into the FujiRock ring.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/jl_japanesegirlfriend.jpg

Boourns
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM

I was wondering about this package as well. Wonder if it's a good deal. It doesn't sound like a tour with a guide and all that, though, just a package deal. I don't want to spend every day in Tokyo, either.

Psicosis
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd be tempted to do this given it's only $1200 return for flights ex-Melbourne...

eudaemonia
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I was wondering about this package as well. Wonder if it's a good deal. It doesn't sound like a tour with a guide and all that, though, just a package deal. I don't want to spend every day in Tokyo, either.

No I don't think it's a guided tour (possibly what they would call a self-guided adventure (http://www.insidejapantours.com/index.php?content=SGAIJ%20FAQ&include=no)), nor do I want it to be. However it supposedly has transfers from one place to another with lodging taken care of, and that's my main concern.... On the other hand, there may be a more cost-effective DIY way of handling this festival-trip, which is why I threw out that general inquiry.

I wanna cover all bases before making any final decisions... needless to say, I'm tempted to go to this... :D

paulb
10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Now that they are on hiatus, is Kathleen doing anything lately?

ya...she is fuckin Adam Horovitz...

rage patton
10-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Fum Fum, if I go to Fuji Rock, can you be my guide? I don't know ANY Japanese. But thank you the suggestion. Kyoto sounds like it would be a cool place to visit. I havent looked that far into where to travel, but I will definately add tha to the list. And the bullet train is THAT expensive? Ouch... but if it can take you all over Japan, then I guess it is worth it.

Josh, I saw Le Tigre open for Beck back in 2005. Now that they are on hiatus, is Kathleen doing anything lately?

I know the other two chicks (or is it the other chick and that dude/chick?) are performing DJ sets under the name MAN right now. But musically, I don't think Kathleen Hannah is doing anything. My fiancee hopes she will one day tour her solo album, where it is just her and keyboard and whatever she found in her room that she locked herself in. Its recorded under the name "Julie Ruin." But she has yet to perform any solo shows, or any songs off of it.
Bikini Kill reunion for Fuji Rock?

Boourns
10-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Oooh, good point. I don't know any Japanese except "asobi seksu", so now I have this fear of wandering around lost and lonely.

paulb
10-23-2008, 12:01 AM
sorta like your stories from Coachella....

Boourns
10-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah, but with a language barrier. But hopefully minus the stolen phone/camera/money.

orbit
10-23-2008, 12:16 AM
i can read and write japanese (all of katakana and hiragana, not as much kanjis) but i forgot most of the grammar.

i hope to visit japan again soon. can't afford it right now.

rage patton
10-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Omar, come with us too. Its not now... its not until late July.

fumfum
10-25-2008, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=rage patton;785000]Fum Fum, if I go to Fuji Rock, can you be my guide? I don't know ANY Japanese. But thank you the suggestion. Kyoto sounds like it would be a cool place to visit. I havent looked that far into where to travel, but I will definately add tha to the list. And the bullet train is THAT expensive? Ouch... but if it can take you all over Japan, then I guess it is worth it.

If you have any concern, let me know. A lot of foreigners come to Japan with no Japanese. Japanese people are usually nice, so don`t worry.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 12:49 AM
If you have any concern, let me know. A lot of foreigners come to Japan with no Japanese. Japanese people are usually nice, so don`t worry.

FUMFUM! Will you come party with us at Fuji Rock next year?

I plan on spending at least 6 days in Fuji Rock, plus Fuji Rock, a few days in Kyoto, and a couple days checking out smaller towns (tips for ones to check out would be greatly appreciated). Do you have any suggestions on where to stay in Tokyo and Kyoto?

Boourns
10-25-2008, 12:54 AM
bYE-LnPNto0

U9Car2EmMQo

Boourns
10-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Oh man, rain:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/rain.jpg

WOW:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/stream.jpg

How many other festivals have a stream?

paulb
10-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Shambala

Backwater
10-25-2008, 02:32 AM

Nelson Ledges fests: http://www.nlqp.com/

10,000 Lakes:http://www.10klf.com/

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment but yeah, that was a HUGE plus at both of those places.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 02:37 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/78827445yTnP8Wx4.jpg

Backwater
10-25-2008, 02:38 AM
The Japanese really are crazy about their big monsters, aren't they?

Boourns
10-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Seriul.

Mr. Dylanja
10-25-2008, 02:41 AM

Any of the several festivals in Telluride, agreed, major awesomeness!

paulb
10-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Sasquatch has a big stream behind the stage..................

Boourns
10-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Do they let you get into the stream?

paulb
10-25-2008, 02:49 AM
um....if u can make it....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1126/528755193_060f343e9f.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Fuck...maybe I'll do Sasquatch next year...The wife and I really want to check out Seattle.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 12:44 PM
That Battles video is one of the main reasons I want to check out Fuji Rock. Not for Battles, but for the crowd. The crowd looks so bad ass! (With that being said, I am all for Battles ar Fuji Rock 09 if the crowd is anything like that)
Also, the rain at Fuji Rock doesn't look too bad. People are still wearing shorts and sandals. And that stream is not only what is so cool... but the fact its inside of a forest too! All the pictures I have seen of the stages inside the forest look incredible.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 01:01 PM
That Battles video is one of the main reasons I want to check out Fuji Rock. Not for Battles, but for the crowd. The crowd looks so bad ass! (With that being said, I am all for Battles ar Fuji Rock 09 if the crowd is anything like that)
Also, the rain at Fuji Rock doesn't look too bad. People are still wearing shorts and sandals. And that stream is not only what is so cool... but the fact its inside of a forest too! All the pictures I have seen of the stages inside the forest look incredible.

Seriously. What draws me to this festival so much is the setting. A forest would be incredible. I hear it can be a pain to walk from stage to stage because of traffic, but with a view like that...

And you can take a lift to the top of it all, too.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Are there stages at the top of the mountain too? Jeeze... I think there are like 9 or 10 stages at Fuji Rock. It is a huge festival.

apostle2
10-25-2008, 01:24 PM
The setting/stream look amazing. Fuji Rock is another one of the festivals I am taking down (Fuji, Roskilde, Glasto) but I think it will be farther down the road. I don't want to go to Japan until I can afford to really do it all

rage patton
10-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I've been looking into prices of stuff. Fucking Japan isn't cheap.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah, but I am sure it will be worth it.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh I know it would be worth it... its just shocking how much this whole trip is going to cost. My lady doesnt know if she would be able to do both Coachella and Fuji Rock...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't see how anyone here unless they are bff with Paris Hilton would be able to feasible afford both festivals. your looking at, at least 5k for everything for Fuji Rock. Its cheaper for Japanese to come to the US and Canada then vis versa.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
5 grand? You think so? Really? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I was thinking more like 3. Hopefully lower.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 02:26 PM
expect to pay 2k just for flights. Then 500 just getting around. camping will save you money but you'll be spending some time in Tokyo as well no?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 02:27 PM
The prices are the only reason I haven't done this festival again. I suppose I could give it a shot but then I would have to cancel Coachella.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm saving $5000 because I plan on being there for a couple weeks. Flights from LAX are currently $1250 at the lowest.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I imagine flights are a little more pricey for Josh if he is flying out of Canada. Have you checked prices yet Josh?

Boourns
10-25-2008, 02:47 PM
It seems that flights vary anywhere from $50-500 depending on what days you choose for July. TYO seems to be cheaper than HND. I guess Fuji Rock should be at the end of the trip and not the beginning, in case I get sick. But then again, flying with sinuses and ears that are already fucked up is apparently excruciating.

So, okay. If I depart on the 13th, arrive on the 14th after losing a day, and fly out on the 28th or 29th, I can still get the "low" $1254 rate. Nonstop, too.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Haneda is not a international airport. It is Japan's largest "internal" airport . Prices will always be cheaper at Narita but again don't fool yourself. Narita is NOT Tokyo. It will take you an hour on the train to get from Narita to Tokyo. That is the only savings you get to fly into Haneda. But again because it is the "Japanese Airport" you'll find less stuff in English to get around. Almost everything in Narita is in both English and Japanese.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Haneda is IN Tokyo.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Good to know. Thanks. This is the kind of thing that is useful. Okay, cool, the $1254 flight is with Korean Air and arrives at Narita. I guess I'd rather deal with the train ride and be at an airport with English than spend more to go to a closer one without it.

I should probably get a guidebook, anyone have any recommendations? I know all that info tends to be on the internets, but it's nice to have such info in one place.

Oh, and I found a site about getting from the airports to Tokyo:
http://www.tokyoessentials.com/arriving.html

rage patton
10-25-2008, 03:07 PM
The flight I pulled was also $1254. For some reason, its cheaper from Vancouver than from Seattle.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Lonely Planet is your goddamn friend...Buy and use the fuck out of it.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.monocle.com/sections/culture/Web-Articles/Fuji-Rock-Festival/

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
http://www.monocle.com/sections/culture/Web-Articles/Fuji-Rock-Festival/

I love reading Monocle sometimes..too bad the magazine itself cost $10 a issue.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
GAH! That video made Fuji Rock look even MORE amazing. Holy fuck I wanna go so bad.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
If Portishead plays, I'll probably explode.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
FUJI ROCK 09!

FLAMING LIPS (UFO Show), PORTISHEAD, DAVID BOWIE
+ many more including Pulp, Faith No More and Jesus Christ

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I wish I was there for this.

ALHbqLqAL4M

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
FUJI ROCK 09!

FLAMING LIPS (UFO Show), PORTISHEAD, DAVID BOWIE
+ many more including Pulp, Faith No More and Jesus Christ

no dice. Jesus is performing his Radiohead set at Red Rocks that weekend.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 03:27 PM
He must have cancelled. This is conformed info. For cereal.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Hopefully next year's lineup is better than this year's. Primal Scream two days in a row? But My Bloody Valentine would have been epic.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 03:49 PM
see, here is the problem. Headliners canceling is actually normal at Fuji. And even the smaller bands at well. when I went in 2003 The Music played 2 days in a row because one of the major bands canceled that year. God, MBV with that soundsystem in the mountains must've sounded godlike.

rage patton
10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
I read a report that MBV actually caused an avalanche and everyone who attened Fuji Rock 08 died. Except MBV of course.

Oh, that reminds me. If Fuji Rock has The Avalanches there next year, but Coachella doesn't... Fuji Rock will have the advantage.

Backwater
10-25-2008, 04:15 PM
If I was rich I'd be totally down for Fuji Rock. That place looks a lot like Buckeye Lake in OH where they have Hookahville (George Clinton, Robert Randolph and stuff)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh, that reminds me. If Fuji Rock has The Avalanches there next year, but Coachella doesn't... Fuji Rock will have the advantage.

won't happen kind sir. Fuji doesn't book "rare" acts so to speak. If the Avalanches tour, Coachella will indeed be a stop.

Backwater
10-25-2008, 04:24 PM
MBV isn't rare?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
For Japan they were but remember MBV had a US tour planned.

Backwater
10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
It wasn't a full tour though, how many dates did they play here? I feel very fortunate to live right next to Santa Monica.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Fuji Rock was their only Japan date. When the Cure played there in 2007 it had been 20 years since they had played Japan.

Backwater
10-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Fuji Rock was their only US date.

????????????

You mean non-US date?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I have to lay off the crack. fixed.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 05:48 PM
So I guess Fuji Rock gets rare acts if they are touring at the time, but they don't get rare acts to come out of hiding just to play Fuji, yes?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
HAI

rage patton
10-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I just wanna see The Avalanches. :(

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
At Coachella Josh, at Coachella.

fumfum
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
FUMFUM! Will you come party with us at Fuji Rock next year?

I plan on spending at least 6 days in Fuji Rock, plus Fuji Rock, a few days in Kyoto, and a couple days checking out smaller towns (tips for ones to check out would be greatly appreciated). Do you have any suggestions on where to stay in Tokyo and Kyoto?

Cheapest accomodations are youth hostels and place for backpackers. It is around 30 bucks.

Hokkaido ( northern island) is also very nice.

Summer sonic is 2nd weekends of August, so if you have chance to stay Japan longer, check it out. This is in outside of Tokyo (Chiba prefecture), close to Narita airport).

When I go to coachella, my flights are around 500 dollars.

rage patton
10-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Flights from Japan to the US are only $500? Lucky.

At Coachella Josh, at Coachella.

I really hope so.

Boourns
10-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey fumfum, thanks for the info.

$500? Wow, that's crazy. I wish it was that cheap to fly there.

Summersonic would be fun, too, but I don't think I can afford to stay that long, sadly. But I heard it will be three days next year?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey fumfum, thanks for the info.

$500? Wow, that's crazy. I wish it was that cheap to fly there.

Summersonic would be fun, too, but I don't think I can afford to stay that long, sadly. But I heard it will be three days next year?

this is very Supre of me but...

Its cheaper for Japanese to come to the US and Canada then vis versa.

told you.

fumfum
10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
That`s true. It depends on the season. End of April and begining of May are big holiday season called Golden Week in Japan. That time is expensive, but before that is cheap.

rage patton
10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Its still expensive. Argh. I might have to put off Fuji Rock for a year. Repeat... MIGHT.

Boourns
10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Its still expensive. Argh. I might have to put off Fuji Rock for a year. Repeat... MIGHT.

Sell that fedora.

Boourns
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
So is Fuji Rock Mountainchella:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/photo01.jpg

Or Streamchella:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/atmosphere_1998543.jpg

Boourns
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
How's this for headliners...
Friday:
Prodigy
Muse

Saturday:
Franz Ferdinand
The Chemical Bros

Sunday:
Massive Attack
Portishead

humanoid
10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I really want to find a way to make this happen...those pics are amazing, coincidentally I just casually started studying Japanese, maybe I'll start taking it more seriously..I'm thinking about taking a class in January

rage patton
10-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Boourns... those headliners would be amazing. They are also incredibly realistic.

Also, I think I may know someone who would be interested in buying a fedora...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
How's this for headliners...
Friday:
Prodigy
Muse

Saturday:
Franz Ferdinand
The Chemical Bros

Sunday:
Massive Attack
Portishead

actually those sound very plausible.....

garrett222
10-30-2008, 08:52 AM
prodigy played last year?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
no.

rage patton
10-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Reading comprehension garrett. Try again.

Boourns
11-02-2008, 04:15 AM
F23QXQO1f9Q

emtgreg
11-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Frank, go to bed...

:)

also, those headliners sound amazing, and except for portishead, very likely...

although, i seem to understand that they would be touring again next year...

coachella seems to have broken down some walls for Beth...

Boourns
11-02-2008, 07:14 AM
I was in bed all day yesterday, getting up a few times briefly. Been up since midnight. My internal clock is all fucked now.

And I can has Portishead? (http://www.highroadtouring.com/artists/portishead/)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-02-2008, 09:55 AM
F23QXQO1f9Q

FUCK YEAH!! BEST MASSIVE ATTACK STAGE SET UP EVER!!! and no one here has seen it....goddamnit...so fucking good...godlike performance absolutely godlike...I wish some of you bastards were there so you would know what the hell I was talking about...would give Radiohead and Dafty a run for their money...

Boourns
11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I hope my headliner predictions are accurate, especially Portishead, but that's the least likely.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Portishead is probably accurate considering that Japan was negelected on their tour.

Boourns
11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Let's hope.

Any artists up in here? Up in here? If so, how about an Obama-esque HOPE poster, but with Beth Gibbons.

rage patton
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
So Frank, are you 100% going now?

Boourns
11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Fuck yes, unless there's an act of God/Satan/etc.

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Lucky man. The chances are less then slim for me going this year. I am bummed. Oh well. Theres always next year. (Or the year after...)

P.S. Don't let the people in Bonnaroo thread know this. They will harrass me.

sbessiso
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
well well well, what do we have here?

I always stated I dont know your financial status/situation Ragey, but my gut feeling always told me that next summer is just too soon for a Japan vacation. Come to Bonnaroo and wear wings with me!

paulb
11-05-2008, 03:12 PM
fuckin Bonnaroo FTW Josh! Fuji Rock will be around.... 2010....do it, wedding honeymoon.

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Dammit. They found me.

Boourns
11-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Bummer. I am 100% certain that the Prodigy will headline. Fuji recycles headliners pretty quickly (Primal Scream almost every year and twice this year) and they have not played since 2002.

nationocean
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
are you guys taking the bullet train from tokyo over to the ski resort?

Boourns
11-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Unless I do Tokyo-Kyoto-Fuji-Tokyo-home, then yes.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Bummer. I am 100% certain that the Prodigy will headline. Fuji recycles headliners pretty quickly (Primal Scream almost every year and twice this year) and they have not played since 2003.

Fixed. Just cuz I was there...

Boourns
11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
In any case, we all totally have to party in Tokyo before or after the fest.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Be careful when you party in Tokyo..last time I did that, it was an all your can drink bar (Mostly Vodka) for 2 hours for 2000 yen...crazy

Boourns
11-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Holy shit, that would be the greatest thing ever.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-11-2008, 05:47 PM
No it was a disaster...I decided to walk home because I was so hammered...the bar was 2 miles from my aparto at the time and when I got back home I realized I LOST MY DAMN WALLET WITH 2K WORTH OF YEN IN IT!!! I freaked out and went to the police station in tears because it was all the money I had with me. I was so mad, I thought for sure someone had jacked it when I wasn't looking. I told my Canadian friend about it and he told me the money was a good as gone...2 days later however the police station called me to tell me my wallet was found WITH ALL THE MONEY AND CREDIT CARDS STILL IN THERE!!! I was so shocked and I asked the police who turned it in but they wouldn't tell me other then it was a old man who found it and turned it in. I thank to god I got my wallet back and I love Japan even more for it but it was fucking hell to go through for a night of partying...

Boourns
11-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Damn, that must have been the worst feeling ever. Followed by the greatest relief ever, naturally. Thank Jarvis that someone returned it.

So today i picked up the Rough Guide to Japan. Is nice.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Lonely Planet Frank! it will save your life!

Boourns
11-13-2008, 09:38 AM
The rough guide is newer and has more info. I'm getting a lonely planet book for Tokyo, though.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
looking at my old pictures of Japan..I decided that if things work out next year...I am going to take my wife to Japan...perhaps Fuji Rock will be included...

Boourns
11-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Epic.

Post some of those pics!

faxman75
11-13-2008, 09:58 AM
How much do you figure for this trip bourns? Looks like a 3 day pass and camping is $500. What is airfare gonna be? $1400 or so?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Epic.

Post some of those pics!

I need to scan them in 1st...

Boourns
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Flights are $1294+ on expedia (more if I return home in August instead of immediately after Fuji Rock), so I estimate $5000. Trying to come up with six grand so I don't have to stay in hostels and can have a few nice meals. Right now I have $1600 and I can probably get a couple grand off my folks because they promised me a trip to Europe for graduation, and that was 3 years ago, and I never ended up taking one.

faxman75
11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow 5 grand. It looks sweet and all but I can't do it. I think with 5 grand I could do 2 more european trips at 22 days each. I'm a budget traveller. Take lots of pictures and tell us lots of stories next year.

Boourns
11-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Really? For that cheap? It's just as much to fly to Europe from LAX, but I guess everything else would be cheaper there.

faxman75
11-13-2008, 11:06 AM
About a grand for the flight from Phoenix to Dublin and back. I spent around $2700 total I think. Saved tons of money with hostels as they were only 12-30 bucks a night. One outside meal a day. We went to grocery stores and such as it was nice to take in the culture that way as well. The other big saver was avoiding the eurorail and just buying one way tickets on the budget airlines. We flew for $30 on one flight. All taxes and fees, the flight was 1 euro. The eurorail would have cost us $800 pp, All of our contry to country flights were about $400-450 total.

Boourns
11-13-2008, 11:18 AM
$30 for a flight? Holy monk, that's epic. I'm waiting for Radiohead or Pulp to play Glastonbury before going to Europe.

faxman75
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Yep, the budge airlines there are great. I think the most expensive flight was $120 one way from Rome to Dublin.

Boourns
11-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Lemon Jelly played in 2003, maybe they will play in 2009!
kp8iFn8yLLU

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
hehehehehehe I was there for Lemon Jelly! These brits that I was with flew to Fuji Rock just for them...that is ALL they would take about all weekend...

Boourns
11-25-2008, 01:20 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2719685644_9587bc69f1_b.jpg

A cleaner Glastonbury?

And this cannot be real:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/2738330452_549de255b3_b.jpg

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 01:22 AM
You're gunna have so much sex. All those Japanese girls. Damn...

rage patton
11-25-2008, 01:23 AM
I love how pretty much everyone in that photo is still wearing shorts.

Boourns
11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
You're gunna have so much sex. All those Japanese girls. Damn...

Haha, that would make any great vacation EPIC. *crosses fingers*

Would the language barrier conceal or enhance my lack of social skills, I wonder.

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 01:30 AM
I think it would help. Japanese girls like Americans too. FACT

Boourns
11-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Uh oh, LET THERE BE MUD:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/254192999_b1e1951bc8_b.jpg

Boourns
11-25-2008, 02:04 AM
UNAGI FTW

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/30275735_82e9ffe428.jpg

mvanwinkle
11-25-2008, 02:05 AM
holy shit is that meat with chocolate, grosss.

Boourns
11-25-2008, 02:10 AM
I think it would help. Japanese girls like Americans too. FACT

NORTH AMERICAN SCUM!

Oh, and...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/64/203371001_95279ccb41_b.jpg

Sweat, now available in bottles:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/2765564162_40a47b0fbf_b.jpg

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 02:35 AM
great picture!

I havent forgotten about our deal, Boournsy. I just havent been able to go to my shops yet. I'm hoping to find the album for cheap. If not, ill ask someone to send it to me. I cant really d/l music with this computer

rskapcat
11-25-2008, 06:17 AM
C'mon, Xmas bonus...be extra-good this year so I can go to the Japans...

Boourns
11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
C'mon, Xmas bonus...be extra-good this year so I can go to the Japans...

Thinking about going to Fuji Rock?

rskapcat
11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
It's a possibility that depends solely on money. More of a pipe dream, really.

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
we should all go....in like 2011+. Glasto 2010 must be first. Those accents will keep my shorts wet the entire trip

Boourns
11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Fuji Rock 2009 and then Glastonbury 2010, which is when Radiohead and Pulp will headline and redeem the festival from its recent headliner shark-jumping.

idrive1life
11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
We will all go to 40th anniversary of Glasto in 2010, okay? Start eating only noodles now (everyday!). I don't want to hear lame excuses.

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
So JSam and I will see you and Boourns there, right idrive?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't Glastonbury be loads more expensive? I mean given if the UK economy recovers and the Pound goes back to being worth almost 2 bucks?

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Who cares?

BRITISH BOYZZZZZZZ

and we're giving ourselves more than a year to save up

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I vote Roskilde before Glastonbury...

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Marco, I cannot emphasize enough how melty british (euro in general) accents make me. Glasto is tailor made for me, from what I've read and seen about set-up as well as the music itself.

I don't know much about this "Roskilde", but Glasto gets my top dollar first. I really wanna check out Fuji Rock too, For sure in the near future

Boourns
11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Glastonbury has way more bands, though. How is Roskilde as a festival?

But Fuji Rock is at the top of my list of festivals to catch, and Japan is on top of my list of foreign countries.

Boourns
11-29-2008, 11:22 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1384/939662222_53dc29d9ce.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Glastonbury has way more bands, though. How is Roskilde as a festival?

But Fuji Rock is at the top of my list of festivals to catch, and Japan is on top of my list of foreign countries.

Well...just off of this year...Roskilde had Radiohead, Neil Young, Jay Z, MBV and The Chemicals as headliners....Glastonbury has Jay Z, KOL and The Verve...and Roger Waters performed at Roskilde with his DSOTM show back in 2006...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
just look at the line up history for the past years....fucking mental...

http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/2009/frontpage/

sbessiso
11-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Wow, I wanna go so badly now

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 01:30 PM
to roskilde?

sbessiso
11-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Mhm. Any one of these Euro fests look so damn neat

stinkbutt
11-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I really wish I would have made it to Roskilde last year that lineup was beyond phenomenal

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Jared went last year...he said it was very muddy...

sbessiso
11-29-2008, 01:38 PM
It seems mud is gunna be a problem anywhere. Marco, am I sensing some hatred towards Glasto from you?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Not at all! It is just Glastonbury is not at the top of my list of festivals to go...that and I have been wanting to go to Denmark for ever...the Nordic Countries are high on my places to want to visit/possibly move...

stinkbutt
11-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Roskilde Fuji and Oya are on the top of my list

Boourns
11-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, Roskilde gets some nice lineups. But what about the festival itself? Setting, people, non-musical things.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Ask Jared...

Boourns
11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
How about Rock Werchter? Look at the 1996 lineup

Performers included: Skunk Anansie- Dog Eat Dog- Me'shell N'Degeocello- Grant Lee Buffalo- Fun Lovin Criminals- Foo Fighters- Moby- Therapy?- Underworld- David Bowie- Chemical Brothers- The Prodigy- Metal Molly- Presidents of the USA- House of Pain- Moloko- Afghan Wigs- Moondog Jr.- Alanis Morissette- Pulp- Sepultura- Massive Attack- Rage Against the Machine- Radiohead- Red Hot Chili Peppers- Björk- Neil Young & Crazy Horse

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-29-2008, 05:44 PM
there should never be a line up like that...ever...

apostle2
11-29-2008, 07:01 PM
in my opinion Roskilde gets consistently the best festival line up of any in the world, but glasto is THE quintessential music festival. when it comes down to it though, I would be thrilled to attend either

Boourns
11-29-2008, 07:46 PM
there should never be a line up like that...ever...

Seriously. That's three festivals worth of headliners. And David Bowie, Pulp, and Radiohead at the same festival?

faxman75
11-29-2008, 07:57 PM
+Rage, Bjork, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Underworld, Massive Attack hell that's a lineup of 75% headliners. I see nothing wrong with it. I mean, how can you cry about the few bands like maybe Alanis, Peppers or whatever when you have a stacked lineup like that?

There's just no pleasing some people.

Boourns
11-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Um, nobody said there's anything wrong with it, lawl.

apostle2
11-29-2008, 09:18 PM
also, keep in mind that's 96, Radiohead, Bjork, and Foo Fighters aren't headliner status...

leo01g
11-30-2008, 12:37 AM
what the hell this is only like 1200 dollars for a week? including camping and tickets?!!! Oh man if Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Portishead headline im totally going to this. Put me on that list.

EDIT- flights not included but i think i have 2 free plane tickets from my visa. hmn i dont know if international flights count

Boourns
11-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I think Massive Attack and the Prodigy are sure bets. Both have new albums and tours next year and have not headlined Fuji in years. Portishead...I doubt it but they really owe Japan. If not Portishead, it could be Muse or a Japanese band or Franz Ferdinand or No Doubt (more likely for Summersonic) or the Killers (please, no) or an act we don't know will be touring yet (White Stripes? Bowie? Outkast?).

shakermaker113
11-30-2008, 06:11 AM
How about Rock Werchter? Look at the 1996 lineup

Skunk Anansie
Dog Eat Dog
Fun Lovin Criminals
Therapy?

wow talk about amnesia. and who the hell was Me'shell N'Degeocello?

also, I'd like to point out that seeing most of those bands in 1995 would have been very different to seeing them today. I'm not sure I would bother with a radiohead concert from 1995.

Boourns
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
This pic freaks me out:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2829597701_74579d1f33_b.jpg

Where is everyone going? What are they waiting for?

sbessiso
12-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Wow, beautiful view though! Breathtaking even. Forests are awesome

rage patton
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
DO WANT!

faxman75
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Don't do it Boorns, when those Ninjas jump out of the fuckin' trees you are FUCKED! Not even Asobi Seksu is worth having your head chopped off for some upcoming kung fu thriller because the director wants some genuine footage.

Boourns
12-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I've been assured that ninjas no longer exist. Or was that samurai.

faxman75
12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
pffft you're the expert on korean grocers, how the hell should I know?

Boourns
12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't do it Boorns, when those Ninjas jump out of the fuckin' trees you are FUCKED! Not even Asobi Seksu is worth having your head chopped off for some upcoming kung fu thriller because the director wants some genuine footage.

And it's funny you mention them because there's a pretty good chance that they'll actually play.

But if someone like Blur or Gorillaz or The Smiths played Coachella, then there's surely a chance they would play Fuji or Summersonic too, yes?

Boourns
12-21-2008, 04:51 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/2831969013_73bd24cc83_b.jpg

Now that's recycling.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
alot of people use their plastic bottles as a place to dump cigs..and the recycling people get SOOOO mad when that happens...

suprefan
12-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Where is everyone going? What are they waiting for?

The meaning of life is at the end of the hike.

Boourns
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
The only way I'm missing Fuji Rock and Japan next year is if Pulp reunites and I have to go stalk them in Europe instead.

rskapcat
12-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Trust me, Frank...if my company decides they want to send the husband and me on an international trip, Fuji Rock will be at the top of my list!

gweilo
12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi guys, new poster here. I did Fuji for the first time last year and cannot recommend it highly enough. The lineup wasn't even that great compared to previous years and I still had a blast.

It's beautiful, it's safe, the people are great and so is the food. Yes, it can be expensive, but you can't take your money to the grave anyway.

I look forward to hearing any rumors/ updates as people hear them.....

Boourns
12-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi, welcome to the board. So tell me more about Fuji! Any photos?

gweilo
12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
I have quite a few, but I've been too lazy to download/ upload any. I'll see if I can get some crappy images from my phone and my wife's camera, which I accidentally soaked before it later miraculously came to life.

What do you want to know?

Boourns
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Just any tips for foreigners would be appreciated. The ticketing system has me a bit confused, for starters.

gweilo
01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Last year I just went onto the Ganban.net site (linked from the official Fuji website at smash-uk.com under "Tickets") and it told me everything I needed to do. Essentially, it comes down to making a wire transfer. Then you print out all the necessary documents (they're pretty clear about what these are) and bring them with you to the ski resort. There's an area for ticket pick-up where you show the documents, and then the people give you a bracelet -- don't lose it or take it off! -- a map and schedule, etc. Then you're off to the races.

One very useful tip my friends showed me was purchasing all your return train tickets right away. As you probably know, you have to take the train from the airport into Tokyo. Get your return ticket to the airport before you leave for Tokyo. Once you arrive in Tokyo, you have to take another train to Naeba before hopping on a bus for the last 30-40 minutes to the ski resort. Get your return ticket to Tokyo at Naeba station BEFORE getting on the bus (which is free, you just have to wait in line) to go to the ski resort. This will save you massive queues for return tickets after the last day, when everyone's tired, hung over and miserable.

If you're camping, take your time looking around the campground and find some place that is flat (this seems obvious, but some people get there too late and wind up sleeping on 30-degree inclines because all the spots are taken) and behind a tree that shades you from the morning sun. Once the sun hits your tent, you can't stay in there. The key here is to arrive at Fuji Rock before the first day, i.e. as early as possible on Thursday. If you arrive on Friday, you will have a tough time finding a good spot.
Be prepared to walk and hike. A lot. I work out and run regularly, but my ass was still sore one or two days later from all the walking.

It WILL rain. Bring a poncho. And make sure your tent is waterproof/ seam-sealed.

Security is generally not an issue. You can leave a camera, phone, some extra money, whatever in your tent. Nobody is going to take it.

Beers are basically US$5. So is a plate of whatever food you get. So multiply five bucks by however many beers and meals you think you'll eat in a day, times three days. Then I would double that if I were you -- just a generally good rule to apply to anything! I took US$400 and spent a lot of it, though I also bought some T-shirts for the family and a few sakes here and there.

All in all, totaling F&B, train tickets and festival tickets, you're probably looking at US$1,000.

Let me know if there's anything I missed....

Boourns
01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for this. Should I get a rail pass or not? If I have one, do I still have to wait in all those mentioned lines?

Yeah, I definitely want to be there on Thursday for the fireworks and all that other cool stuff.

I plan on being in Japan for two weeks, and want to spend a few days in Kyoto, in addition to Tokyo and Fuji Rock and the odd day trip.

I am still a bit concerned about the language barrier, especially for finding my way around and ordering food and such.

shakermaker113
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
not that I mean to discredit them, but I'd feel a little uncomfortable about wiring money to a website named Ganban.net.

gweilo
01-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Boourns: I think that by getting our return tickets to Tokyo before leaving Naeba station for the festival, we were able to avoid the one line they were worried about, the one after the festival was over. We didn't experience any other big lines.

That was my first time in Japan, and I was only there for Fuji, so I know nothing about the rail passes. But if you're going to be there for two weeks, and you can get a rail pass that will work from Narita-Tokyo and Tokyo-Naeba (i.e. for different lines), then it sounds like it could be the way to go.

There definitely isn't a lot of English in Japan. But we managed to communicate our dates and destinations OK to the people behind the counters. It's all part of the adventure!

Oh, and watch out for the stalls at Fuji selling what appears to be some kind of fried pork. It smells delicious, especially when you're hungry after a few beers. But it's really pig stomach.

shakermaker: It might sound dodgy, but it's legit. At least, they didn't take my money. And my friends have had no problems over the past five years.

shakermaker113
01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
lol. thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to accuse you or them of conning anybody. I just think it's a funny name for a legitimate buisness.

mmm. fried pork stomach.

Boourns
01-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Ewww...pig stomach. Yeah, thanks for that. I think I'll play it safe and load up on unagi and beer.

Boourns
01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
So wtf is up with flights? I thought these things were supposed to go down in price now that gas is less than half what it cost six months ago. The cheapest flight on the dates I need is still $1337.

rage patton
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Who is the Fuji headliner?

Boourns
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Ask again in two months. Really, really hoping for Portishead.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Who is the Fuji headliner?

the headliners bugetchella should have had....

gweilo
01-09-2009, 01:23 AM
There should be three headliners, one for each night, and one of them is usually some sort of electronica act. I'm guessing we'll see Prodigy or Chemical Brothers at some point.

Yeah, they should start announcing some names in March.

And I don't envy you guys with the plane tickets from the US....

Cookieman908
01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know how quickly the tix sell for this?

I'm asking because there's good deals on airfare right now (found $1300 taxes incl.).

Does this festival usually sell out? If it does, is it Glastonbury-type crazy where everything sells out in a couple minutes?

I really wanna book this flight now but if I don't score festival tickets the trip wil be a bust for me.

I'm guessing the headliners will be:

Friday: Franz Ferdinand or Killers
Saturday: Depeche Mode
Sunday: Portishead

Boourns
01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know how quickly the tix sell for this?

I'm asking because there's good deals on airfare right now (found $1300 taxes incl.).

Does this festival usually sell out? If it does, is it Glastonbury-type crazy where everything sells out in a couple minutes?

I really wanna book this flight now but if I don't score festival tickets the trip wil be a bust for me.

I'm guessing the headliners will be:

Friday: Franz Ferdinand or Killers
Saturday: Depeche Mode
Sunday: Portishead

I am not really sure, but I think it has sold out in the past. And it seems to take a while.

http://www.melodytrip.com/MTNews/Default.aspx?NewsID=1960

I am really hoping for...
Friday: (ask me when the Coachella headliners are revealed)
Saturday: Blur
Sunday: Portishead & Massive Attack

I think The Prodigy and Franz Ferdinand are very likely headliners but I really want some that aren't going to be at Coachella.

Cookieman908
01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info, really helpful. So it looks like it sometimes sells out, but not instantly like Glastonbury.

Looks like nothing's gonna stop me from going on this trip now...

In my two weeks there, I also plan on taking a few side trips from Tokyo, namely Nikko for a couple of days and climbing Mount Fuji.

Kyoto is high on my list as well but I'm thinking it'll be hard to squeeze in on a 2-week trip that includes 4 days at a festival. We'll see...Besides I hear Tokyo takes several days to appreciate so I'll spend a lot of time in that city.

So, so excited...

Ardentbiscuit
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes! Go Fuji!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/ardentbiscuit/happy_new_year.jpg

JClemy
01-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Oh, and watch out for the stalls at Fuji selling what appears to be some kind of fried pork. It smells delicious, especially when you're hungry after a few beers. But it's really pig stomach.years.

The intestines are called motsu and are kind of chewy. They make a soup called motsu Nabe(my spelling could be totally wrong) and it's delicious but I've heard the fried motsu isn't very good. If they offer you horomon it's also intestines. I don't think it's very good but some people love it. You might have a little bit of trouble with not knowing Japanese but for the most part you should be ok.

We're definitely planning on hitting Fuji Rock this year. We're up in Hokkaido for the year so Fuji Rock seems pretty necessary. Tokyo has a lot of English so it's not too bad for getting around. If you are staying in Tokyo you want to try to stay on the Yamanote line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line)which runs around Tokyo area. You can get a day pass on the Yamanote line and a little beyond for only about 730 yen. Tokyo is great. I really enjoyed it when we went for Christmas. I think a rail pass would be a smart idea. You can't get one unless you have a tourist visa or I would totally get one.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

You could probably check out Kyoto and Tokyo and Fuji rock in two weeks but I would pick one or the other. You don't need a rail pass but I think with the passes you can take the Shinkansen(bullet trains) which are usually expensive.
This site is awesome for planning trips on the train: http://www.hyperdia.com/

You can take the SHINKANSEN TOKI 323 from Tokyo to Niigata and it would cost ¥10270 so that is pretty expensive.

JClemy
01-27-2009, 07:57 PM
If you have any questions I can try to help. Let me know. I don't speak good Japanese but I sort of speak it a little bit.

Who here is going to Fuji Rock? It's also the Summer Sonic festival two weeks later and it's the 10th anniversary. It's in Osaka and Tokyo so you could see both that way.

stinkbutt
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Damn this looks fun i need to figure out if I'm going or not.

If I do what are some must see thing in Japan around the area?

JClemy
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I finished reading the whole thread finally. I recommend the rough guides to Tokyo for the Tokyo area. I have found that the rough guides are a lot better in my looking through books. You should definitely see Kamakura and Yokohama while you are in Japan and the Tokyo area. They have a giant Buddha in Kamakura. It was super cool.
I'm slowly getting a bunch of photos up from my time here in Japan: http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/jclemy/

Boourns
01-28-2009, 06:23 AM
UNAGI FTW

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/30275735_82e9ffe428.jpg

Bumpissey.

So who has the best unagi in LA?

JClemy
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
So does the lineup make a difference to anyone about Fuji Rock?

http://www.janomesushi.co.jp/img/sushi_tako_360_300.jpg

Cookieman908
01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
So does the lineup make a difference to anyone about Fuji Rock?

http://www.janomesushi.co.jp/img/sushi_tako_360_300.jpg

Killers, Morrissey and Depeche Mode are highly likely as potential headliners. Just check the 2009 tour dates on their websites and you'll see what I mean.

I also think Prodigy is highy likely as the Sunday electronic headliner (again based on their tour dates) but I really hope they're not. Much rather have Portishead or Chemical Brothers than washed-up Prodigy.

Boourns
01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Gross. Really hoping for acts that I can't see here like Blur and Orbital. Portishead would be worth the trip alone.

JClemy
01-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Blur or Portishead would be awesome! The venue is epic!