PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125

BlackSwan
03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
haven't seen it, but is it basically "if your grandmother couldn't make it/didn't have it back in the day, don't eat it"?

No, not at all. I feel like trying to summarize all the points wouldn't do it justice. It's definitely worth watching.

Edit: This guy tries to do it, and I was right, it doesn't do it justice:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/04/28/some-highlights-from-the-food-inc-documentary/#more-335

GeezrRckr
03-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I would also like to throw in my support for watching Food Inc. It spends a lot of time providing insights into the business side of the food industry. It also sheds light on the environmental consequences that arise from how food is produced in the USA. Nearly all of these revelations are unsavory (pun intended), but awareness is key. Change must displace complacency...we really don't have much choice.

TallGuyCM
03-15-2011, 09:26 PM
hahahahahahaha

fMW3W-G43gI

rage patton
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Dreamworks discovered long ago that it's possible aim a movie at both adults and kids at the same time. Not every joke has to be in the middle.

Both Dreamworks and Pixar have done this in the past. I was just saying that Rango did it exceptionally well. I would say almost on the level of Wall-E. I would even argue that Wall-E isn't really a kid movie, the same way I would argue Rango isn't really a kids movie.

wmgaretjax
03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
while I thought Food, Inc. was quite good... the treatment of GMOs was pretty superficial...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-16-2011, 07:32 AM
So Never Let Me Go was just one of the most heartwrenching, soul-crushing things I've ever seen. My girlfriend and I were both in tears throughout it. That said, i thought it was incredible. I've been waiting for Mark Romanek to really blow me away with a film.

daxton
03-16-2011, 07:34 AM
I finished Annie Hall yesterday. It's my favorite Woody Allen so far. Hannah and Her Sisters is a close 2nd.

wmgaretjax
03-16-2011, 10:43 AM
new korine short: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/umshini-wam--2/umshini-wam

chairmenmeow47
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
So Never Let Me Go was just one of the most heartwrenching, soul-crushing things I've ever seen. My girlfriend and I were both in tears throughout it. That said, i thought it was incredible. I've been waiting for Mark Romanek to really blow me away with a film.

i really want to see this.

I finished Annie Hall yesterday. It's my favorite Woody Allen so far. Hannah and Her Sisters is a close 2nd.

it's the only one i really like. gets me every time.

watched deathproof last night. it was a lot of fun, but not sure if i'd watch again.

GeezrRckr
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
while I thought Food, Inc. was quite good... the treatment of GMOs was pretty superficial...
Yeah, that topic did get glossed over. But, in their defense, an entire movie could be made around GMOs and their role in economics (more like in how they perpetuate poverty), human health, biodiversity, etc.

wmgaretjax
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
i guess wim wenders is making a film "for" pina bausch: http://www.pina-film.de/en/

cutterbutter
03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Seeing Grindhouse (Planet Terror and Death Proof) and Machete last night at the New Beverly was so much fun. Tarantino and Rodriguez both were there to introduce the triple feature, and sat down a couple of rows behind us to watch it all with the audience. They were laughing louder then anyone else too. So awesome.

Quentin also brought along some crazy vintage trailers and old concession stand ads to show inbetween the 3 films, along with the Grindhouse fake trailers in-toe.

After it let out 5 1/2 hours later at 1:30am, the two of them stood outside and shook hands talking with everyone. Great night all and all.

Lots of other great Quentin hosted shows around in March there left, and they added shows for Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair on the 3-7 of April which all had sold out before. Check it http://www.newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

Down Rodeo
03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
i guess wim wenders is making a film "for" pina bausch: http://www.pina-film.de/en/

Can't say I've seen any of Wenders' films from the last 20 years or so but this looks promising.

motionnn77
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
The Town was fucking awesome. It's too bad it came and went for most people. I saw there was a directors cut out for it. Might check that out as I havnt seen it since the theater.

It was also one of the best love stories I've seen in a long time. Somehow it seemed so real under the circumstances.

guedita
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I really recommend Dog Sweat, everyone. It is not related to Dogtooth in any way, for those wondering. It was directed by Hossein Keshavarz and shot illegally in Tehran, which makes for a few interesting camera shots. It's a narrative following a few young people living in Tehran whose lives are all interrelated, and the subtlety of what is being conveyed worked really effectively for me. Also, the dichotomy between the overwhelming modernity of the city and the issues these characters are struggling with plays out very nicely.

It's also short! Only 91 minutes.

motionnn77
03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Just got back from SXSW last night. Unlike Sundance, I got to see more stuff this time around. I also met Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan in a trailer park. We talked about Cold Souls. There were also meet ups w/ Simon Pegg and Kristen Wigg.

Here are the films I saw including the ones on Virgin Air America (We flew Select. Pretty cool).

Love and other Drugs: Better than most rom-coms but Anne Hathaway stole the film. It was ok.

Midnite showing of LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD: It's beautiful, but it's also TWILIGHT without vamps or sparkles. Meh. I did sit in on an hour long panel with Katherine Hardwicke, though. That was pretty interesting.

SOURCE CODE: Gosh, I'm not even a Jake Gylenhaal fan yet managed to see two of his films in the course of 24 hours. This will make $$. It's INCEPTION meets GROUNDHOG DAY. Not horrible.

SOUND OF MY VOICE: Interesting plot. The same people who repped us are repping them but they haven't been sold yet. It's about a couple of journalists who join a cult to write about it. They get caught up with issues of their own. Actress Brit Mailing is good and quite alluring. It's worth a look. A provoking drama and for a nearly no budget, it looks good.

WUSS: A friend of ours was a producer on this. The first half is pretty funny. It's about a teacher (high school) who gets harassed by his students. He is a pretty small guy (met the actor who was good, but can't remember his name). The second half, just gets a but busy. Too many sub plots and it becomes..crowded. However, the after party was at a bar that became my fave, THE RIO RITA, on the 'ghetto' part of 6th street.

BELLFLOWER: Of course. Osiliscope bought it and cleaned it up a bit. Still great fun. Love, violence and the flame throwing car, MEDUSA. The crew brought MEDUSA down to Austin. It was a bigger hit than the film, lol! But the critics liked it. The after party was awesome. It was in an outside trailer park bar called THE DRAFT HOUSE. Free kegs, free bacon, cheese and maple syrup doughnuts. In the film, the lead characters meet competing in a cricket eating contest. The girl wins and the guy falls for her. They brought their crickets with them all the way from Cali. They had a contest at the party and the prize was a ride w/ the actor/director/writer Evan Glodell in the famous MEDUSA. (Later than night, around 3AM, Evan had to go to the ER. It turns out he had kidney stones. The guys is like 28 at most. They made an appt. for surgery the next day. But they gave him viccodin and let him out that morning. He was seen driving MEDUSA all over downtown Austin).

96 MINTUES: It's CRASH but with a younger set of actors. Brittany Snow is the most recognizable name. She has grown up and is a solid actress. This film got me a bit emotionally. A very tragic death seen happens and the ending is powerful. It's worth a look.

PAUL: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are back together again. With an alien. HOT FUZZ was funny. But this rivals SEAN OF THE DEAD. This is funny, FUNNY. Some cool cameos. Mostly shot in the desert around the north of Barstow. If you love to laugh, please see this!

Other than that, I hung at a trade show, saw some bands, saw a Pitch Fork thing, went to meetings, went to the opening night and closing night (for film) parties. Went to a really bad kareoke party, which was great fun because it was all film agents singing badly.

BELLFLOWER will be on it's way to Nashville in a couple of weeks, then Salem, Boston and will screen a couple of nights @ Columbia in NY. Then in May, it looks like Cannes. And oh yeah, I will be going to that one.

We are scheduled to screen in Los Angeles and NY in July. I will post as I find out more.

Oh yeah, on the way back to LA, I saw YOU WILL MEET A DARK STRANGER on the plane. Typical Woody Allen rom-com/drama. Shot in England. Decent cast: Antonio Bandaras, Gemma Jones, Naomi Watts, Frieda Pinto, Josh Brolin and Anthony Hopkins. Not bad.

And here's one I started a week ago and finished today: THE KILLER INSIDE ME. There was a lot that was wrong with it, mainly bad Texan accents. Especially, Casey Affleck, Kate Hudson and Simon Baker. But Damn! I can't remember when I last saw such a brutal murder scene. This got me. I can watch chainsaw scenes and zombies eating people, but what happens to one of the characters is just heart breaking, ugly and puke worthy.

That's it for now.

TallGuyCM
03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
hahahaha, this was at Cinefamily last night:

http://www.cinefamily.org/images/home_11_leprethon_1130.jpg

TallGuyCM
03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Ooh, and a Herzog week the beginning of April:

http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/herzog.html

wmgaretjax
03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Lessons of Darkness and Fata Morgana are must sees on the big screen.

TallGuyCM
03-20-2011, 01:31 AM
The screening of A Woman Under the Influence tonight was fantastic, over an hour-long Q&A with Gena Rowlands ahead of time.

It's always great seeing people reach that age where they just don't give a fuck anymore, and a few of Gena's answers (to questions I'm sure the moderator labored for hours over) proved this, they were just very direct and often hilarious. She gave some great insight into her career and her beginnings, and for a Cassavetes novice like myself I found it to be a helpful precursor for the film.

As for the film itself, yes. Although I'm still getting used to Cassavetes' style and sense of pacing, enough can't be said about Rowlands' performance. And Peter Falk would have been equally as impressive under normal circumstances as the counter to most any other actress, but alas.

Oh, and Ariel Pink was in the house, haha.

daxton
03-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Speaking of Herzog, has anyone seen the short Plastic Bag? Probably my favorite non-comedic short. It was voiced by him.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, everyone! I saw Kick-Ass and really enjoyed it. That is all.

GeezrRckr
03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Werzog's Encounters at the End of the World is pretty awesome. Not only the cinematography, but the interviews he does with the people at the station. He really has a knack for exposing the weird and sublime in people.

TallGuyCM
03-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi, everyone! I saw Kick-Ass and really enjoyed it. That is all.

Haha, I just got done watching that. Entertaining enough, glad I didn't pay $12 to see it though.

Sublime
03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyssVLUxWDJoK-pfH6l-2TOTcuXHGxrTJlZctjV0K7TZdn74FBNw

If you've never seen it, you really must. "tnt" Can you dig it?

SoulDischarge
03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
The soudntrack is better than the actual film.

TallGuyCM
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
The soudntrack is better than the actual film.

I haven't seen the film, but I've always assumed this. Curtis Mayfield was the fucking man.

knytt
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Fuck. How does Miyazaki do it. I've only seen 3 of his movies and he's already one of my favorite directors. I wish I had seen his other movies as a kid.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Fuck. How does Miyazaki do it. I've only seen 3 of his movies and he's already one of my favorite directors. I wish I had seen his other movies as a kid.

They're almost all equally amazing. Which ones did you see?

cutterbutter
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
http://fandomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/totoro2-600x375.jpg

knytt
03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Totoro as a kid and then rewatched it about a month ago, it's still just as magical as it was as a kid. And since then Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, of which the latter is in my Top 10. Suggestions for the next one? I was thinking Kiki's Delivery Service.

Speaking of Miyazaki, I almost screamed when I saw Totoro in Toy Story 3.

TallGuyCM
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
For anyone that's in my boat and has been catching up on Terrence Malick for the upcoming Tree of Life release, I can't recommend the Criterion Blu Rays of The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven highly enough. I've watched both over the past few days, and they are simply the most astounding looking works I've seen in a home setting.

cutterbutter
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Totoro as a kid and then rewatched it about a month ago, it's still just as magical as it was as a kid. And since then Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, of which the latter is in my Top 10. Suggestions for the next one? I was thinking Kiki's Delivery Service.

Speaking of Miyazaki, I almost screamed when I saw Totoro in Toy Story 3.

Princess Mononoke is his epic, but my favorite has always been Porco Rosso. I liked Kiki's, but its alot more childish then the the others I feel.

When I saw Toy Story 3 in the theaters, 4 or so other people all shouted out "TOTORO!!" when he came on. So great.

bmack86
03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I just recently saw Spirited Away and Mononoke and absolutely adored both of them. They're amazing pieces of film making and storytelling, and Spirited Away creates a great world of its own.

I just watched Dogtooth and was surprised by how good it was. I almost expected it to be too self-consciously bizarre, but I thought they did a great job with the ambiguity of the whole situation and the really eerie feel about the compound. Good call, guys.

KungFuJoe
03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Mononoke is probably my favorite from Miyazaki, but I love Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki & Totoro all as well.

If you like those films I highly recommend you check out Summer Wars. This was my favorite film of last year.

IsLwVoZqEjk

knytt
03-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Wow, that looks great. Thanks for the suggestion.

zircona1
03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
For anyone that's in my boat and has been catching up on Terrence Malick for the upcoming Tree of Life release, I can't recommend the Criterion Blu Rays of The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven highly enough. I've watched both over the past few days, and they are simply the most astounding looking works I've seen in a home setting.

Criterion or someone needs to do a special ed of Badlands.

yeahfontaine
03-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Lessons of Darkness and Fata Morgana are must sees on the big screen.

Hadn't seen Jag Mandir, so I watched the preview and then looked it up. What I found made me laugh so hard.

It's about (as the subtitle says) an elaborate theater event put on by the Maharana in Rajasthan but this is the part that got me.

Herzog's narration explains that the event filmed was requested of the Maharana by a local wise man who saw the sinking of the city's palaces into the river as a sign that the local culture was deteriorating, and that the Maharana needed to stage the performance to reinvigorate interest in the various cultures represented. This story was invented by Herzog for the film, to "put it all into some context." The city's palaces are not actually sinking into the river.

God, I love Herzog. His documentaries are so fascinating because he doesn't have a problem creating a subreality or extrareality, as I guess he would call it, when making a documentary. He really has distain for cinema verite and it shows and makes his "non-fiction" work that much more magnetic.

Also, I assume everyone has seen this clip, but it's so damn entertaining...

ylXqc8TQ15w

HowToDisappear
03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
In her second year, one of my daughters was a painter/compositor on an animated short -- part of a collaborative project between students, alumni and the head of the animation dept at her school. It's been making the film and animation festival rounds for about two years (and won awards), and now that that's over, it's been posted online (HD version (http://www.bitfilms.com/tower37.html) on vimeo):

The Incident at Tower 37 (2009) is a ten-minute HD animated film, written and directed by Chris Perry and produced within the collaborative animation curriculum at Hampshire College.

oykNIuQLcoc
My husband and I got to see it on a big screen before it made the festival circuit. It was exciting to see her name in the credits. I told her it was the first time, but it wouldn't be the last. :)

TallGuyCM
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Wow, that's really cool. Congrats!

Sublime
03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
crazy lil lizards

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Mononoke is probably my favorite from Miyazaki, but I love Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki & Totoro all as well.

If you like those films I highly recommend you check out Summer Wars. This was my favorite film of last year.

IsLwVoZqEjk

WOW, this looks great! Just bumped it up my queue. I recently watched the director's last movie, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, and i really, really liked it.

sonofhal
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Went to a preview screening of Insidious earlier. If you like films that make you jump out of your seat a lot then you'll enjoy it, whereas if you want a coherent narrative and decent acting then don't bother.

The audience were filmed, so I might end up in some dodgy TV ad looking scared. I had to sign a disclaimer saying they could use the footage anywhere in "the universe". I wonder what the opening weekend will be like on Saturn.

TallGuyCM
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Tonight at 9pm on ABC there's a 2-hour (likely to be laughable) show on TV tonight called "Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time", hosted by the Dancing With the Stars guy, of all people.

SoulDischarge
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
So that Dogtooth was something.

TallGuyCM
03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Definitely the best sci-fi film of 2010, without a doubt.

daxton
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I get to see it again in a week! Wooooo.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Highlander 2 is a pretty remarkable achievement in terrible movies. It's pretty stunning, actually. That that much money and effort was poured into something so fabulously incoherent and mind-numbingly stupid (and completely ret-conning a pretty good franchise) makes me really happy.

schoolofruckus
03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks like Fight For Your Right Revisited is getting a release at the Laemmle Sunset 5 on April 29th.

HandBanana
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Holy crap!
I hope this is real

http://i.imgur.com/mNKkW.jpg

KungFuJoe
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Miike's 13 Assassins hits VOD in HD today! It plays at the Nuart at the end of April, but fuck I can't wait that long.

bobert
03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/bobertrgb/Hicks.jpg
The much anticipated documentary about the greatest comedian to ever live is finally getting a release on DVD - June 6th. Cannot fucking wait.

P4GEiPUy2nw

schoolofruckus
03-25-2011, 05:56 PM
It's also playing the Sunset 5 on April 15th. I know, I know....not exactly the type of film that needs to be seen on a big screen. But seeing it that way is the best way to vocalize your support that the film is even being made.

bobert
03-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for Coachella I'd definitely be there for that.

buddy
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
i might try to see this. there's a mini-documentary on the dvd Bill Hicks Live: Satirist Social Critic Stand-up Comedian called "Just A Ride," which is worth a watch, although it's a bit short. it might be streaming on netflix.

here's part 1 on youtube:
Gd5nXdO4-ig&feature=fvst

TallGuyCM
03-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Amy Adams is the new Lois Lane...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.thehollywoodreporter.com/amy-adams-cast-lois-lane-zack-snyders-superman

bobert
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Any word on who will be directing the third reboot of the series after Zach Snyder fucks this round up?

Sublime
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Holy crap!
I hope this is real

http://i.imgur.com/mNKkW.jpg

Where did you find this?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Where did you find this?

It's a mock-up that Heath Killen did http://madebyhk.com/

The film is something that Cheadle has being trying to get made, but it's not officially happening yet, and does not have a title.

TallGuyCM
03-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Damn. He'd be perfect as Miles. Here's to hoping it eventually gets made.

hendrixfan143
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Is anybody going to see Red State at the wiltern? Just got my tix

tricorne
03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
What? (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Almost_Famous_2/70058494?trkid=2361637#height1013)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Amazing.

Also, I just watched eXitenZ for the first time. Whoa.

SoulDischarge
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
a.k.a. Videodrome-lite. Still, if there's any movie I could watch rip-offs of for hours . . .

Port Of Call New Orleans was a bunch of bullshit. Why did that movie need a plot? Also a bunch of bullshit: Netflix's Silverlight automatic update that makes my browser crash every time I get distracted from whatever boring shit I'm watching and start loading other pages.

wmgaretjax
03-27-2011, 09:50 PM
eh... i don't think videodrome shares much in common with existenz at all... beyond the whole media<->violence themes.

SoulDischarge
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I've only seen eXistenZ once and it just seemed very familiar. It's Cronenberg coasting but I remember enjoying it fairly well even if I wasn't overly impressed. I liked it better than fucking Eastern Promises at least. All I can even remember from that was a nude knife fight and some awful scene with Naomi Watts fake crying at a river.

Exoskeletal
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
ya, Eastern Promises was borderline unwatchable.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I've only seen eXistenZ once and it just seemed very familiar. It's Cronenberg coasting but I remember enjoying it fairly well even if I wasn't overly impressed. I liked it better than fucking Eastern Promises at least. All I can even remember from that was a nude knife fight and some awful scene with Naomi Watts fake crying at a river.

It definitely shares a lot with both Videodrome and Naked Lunch in the use of disgusting flesh-like puppets, and a bit thematically as well. Which doesn't bother me, at all. I really like Eastern Promises though.

TallGuyCM
03-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Tonight I decided to undertake what I assumed would be a facefuck double feature of Michael Haneke's The Piano Teacher and Code Unknown, but it ended up being not quite at that level, especially in regards to the latter.

Up to this point, in my book Monica Vitti had the "damaged female who won't let herself feel any emotion" role nailed better than anyone else, but Isabelle Huppert really took the crown and ran with this one. She was absolutely remarkable.

Code Unknown caught me off guard in that it was more of an art film, and didn't contain that one scene of unnerving brutality that Haneke seems to include in most of his films. I think what he was getting at in this one went over my head a bit. But either way, quite a night.

mountmccabe
03-28-2011, 04:45 AM
I have, apparently, been on a bit of a theme recently.

I watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller to see who this John McCabe (no relation) is. It is a very 70s Altman film about a dude and his brothel. And him falling for the lady what shows up and takes it over. It feels very real, very much like we are seeing selections from real life. To the point where sometimes it feels like it would be nice to've seen more (though what I would want to've seen developed further may've been different from what you would want, etc.) It is really quite impressive, especially filming it sequentially (including building (with workers wearing period garb and using period implements) and burning down a church) and all they had to put up with to make that work.

Then I watched The Killing of a Chinese Bookie as it looks like Netflix Instant has added a handful of Cassavettes films. It is also very 70s, follows a strip-club owner and leans heavily towards the realistic side of things. It is also far less cinematic, to a fault, even. I liked it but it was less engaging than Husbands, which may be the only other Cassavettes I've seen.

The Girl Who Played With Fire was easier to watch (mostly) but had less to it. It involves folks investigating a sex trafficking ring. Independently, generally. And the non-cop characters are very good at it. And there are more weird revelations that don't matter. Or may matter in the third movie. Which I'm sure I'll watch.

Last night I watched Accattone, a very Italian movie from the 60s. It is about a low-level pimp and his low level friends in post-war Italy. Sadly the subtitles on Netflix were white over the black and white film so you miss more than you'd wish. But the filmmaking is strong enough that the story is clear, regardless. I think I would like to see more of Pasolini's films.

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Code Unknown is not a one-watch film. By any stretch. It works really well as a companion to 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance though... as I think both films are trying to get at really similar things.

Oh and Accattone is pretty fantastic. I watched it along with a bunch of Bertolucci's early films (including The Conformist), and it was pretty obvious how important Pasolini was to that era of Italian filmmakers.

SoulDischarge
03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Code Unknown caught me off guard in that it was more of an art film, and didn't contain that one scene of unnerving brutality that Haneke seems to include in most of his films. I think what he was getting at in this one went over my head a bit. But either way, quite a night.

I'm probably due for a rewatch myself, but the title is kind of the key to what the film is getting at. The way we communicate to one another is through a series of highly personalized code systems, most of which overlap in many ways, but not all. Most of our interactions, and many of the problems with them, are results of misunderstanding the various code systems people use to communicate with one another, causing constant chaos, even when we come at situations with the best intentions. The film is mostly a series of "real life: demonstrations of the various forms of communication breakdown in modern society.

chairmenmeow47
03-28-2011, 09:06 AM
battle LA was a ton of fun for a last-minute, boring wednesday night outing. explosions galore.

Down Rodeo
03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I also found Code Unknown a bit too dry on first viewing. I don't think whatever Haneke was going for fully clicked for me, and I've yet to muster up the patience to watch it again. I loved The Piano Teacher though - really disturbing movie.

I did, however, re-watch Blow-Up and The Thin Red Line recently and boy, did they click wonderfully on second viewing.

I also have yet to see any Pasolini films, which really needs to change soon.

bmack86
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Don't bother with Salo.

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Code Unknown begins with sign language charades right? and ends with sign language as well? i always kinda wondered if those scenes might have worked better reversed. at least... it would have been more transparent to first time viewers.

(and I couldn't disagree more with Bryan, do bother with Salo)

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 11:54 AM
it's interesting to have Salo come up right in the middle of us talking about Haneke as well... as his work shares a lot in common with that film (and others by pasolini). What Haneke has managed to do to some degree is create more timeless films than Salo. Salo requires a pretty rich understanding of it's particular place in history, film history, and Pasolini's oeuvre to really get a complete sense of it. I think a lot of people would argue this is a crucial flaw of the film (even if many of its themes are imparted regardless of this understanding). Some of Haneke's films really are able to transcend this kind of a requirement (some don't, White Ribbon for example, although to a lesser degree).

schoolofruckus
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
That is an interesting connection to make between those two filmmakers, and it probably reveals why neither has connected with me. I'm firmly on Bryan's side with Salo; not being familiar with any of Pasolini's other work, it feels completely artless to me. Reading up on Fascism a little afterward definitely helped contextualize a lot of what was happening in the film, but it could scarcely have been less compelling on any level. As for Haneke's work...I'm still pretty far behind.

This past weekend, I watched Mirror and Nostalghia for the third and second times, respectively. I win.

TallGuyCM
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Then I watched The Killing of a Chinese Bookie as it looks like Netflix Instant has added a handful of Cassavettes films. It is also very 70s, follows a strip-club owner and leans heavily towards the realistic side of things. It is also far less cinematic, to a fault, even. I liked it but it was less engaging than Husbands, which may be the only other Cassavettes I've seen.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Cassavetes' Minnie and Moskowitz will cease to be on Netflix Instant tomorrow. I plan on watching it tonight.

AlecEiffel
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen it, Cassavetes' Minnie and Moskowitz will cease to be on Netflix Instant tomorrow. I plan on watching it tonight.

Maybe not his best, but my personal favorite.

schoolofruckus
03-28-2011, 04:25 PM
It's a delightful movie, and definitely a must-see (but then, I say that about all his films).

bobert
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Watched Fish Tank last night on Netflix Instant. It's a story about a troubled, fifteen year old british girl named Mia, living in a lower-class housing project in Essex, who falls hard for her mother's new boyfriend, played by Michael Fassbender. Reminded me of a modern-day version of An Education, minus that film's pretentious moralizing and abysmal final act.

This is the second film by writer/director, Andrea Arnold, her first being Red Road from 2006, and I'd have to say she is one of the most exciting filmmakers I've come across in some time. The young girl who plays Mia (Katie Jarvis) it's absolutely phenomenal in her first performance. Supposedly Arnold heard her arguing with her boyfriend at a train station and approached her about acting in the film. It's a near perfect movie that reminded me a lot of the work of the Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, lots gritty, handheld camera work with superb attention to detail. Arnold has some serious chops, and I eagerly await her next project. Netflix Instant - check it out.

bmack86
03-28-2011, 11:09 PM
That is an interesting connection to make between those two filmmakers, and it probably reveals why neither has connected with me. I'm firmly on Bryan's side with Salo; not being familiar with any of Pasolini's other work, it feels completely artless to me. Reading up on Fascism a little afterward definitely helped contextualize a lot of what was happening in the film, but it could scarcely have been less compelling on any level. As for Haneke's work...I'm still pretty far behind.

This past weekend, I watched Mirror and Nostalghia for the third and second times, respectively. I win.

Agreed. I was aware of the Fascist themes going into it, and I've read a considerable amount of the 120 Days of Sodom, but I'd also never seen a Pasolini before. I'm used to disturbing and graphic films, but there didn't seem to be any real reason to the film as a whole. I won't say I'm glad I've seen it, but at least i can?

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
ultimately i think the film is only peripherally about fascism. in the same way that Haneke's Cache is only peripherally about arab relations in France. I think the current events of the time were only a vessel for what Pasolini saw as a more timeless narrative, and i think that was the cultural link he was interested in when he chose to inevitably adapt the book (I think it's important that historically it is impossible to create a direct analogy between the french and italian aristocracy, they were entirely different beats... the common variable is the complacency and desensitization of the lower class). the problem with the film is that it becomes a bit too entrenched in the moment, and the overarching importance of the reason he originally chose the book to adapt was lost in some respects. compared to L'Age d'Or it's a totally failure in this regard... but that is also what makes the film a pretty key contrast to the neo-realist cinema of the day.

At the same time, I think the film is a turning point in italian cinema because it chose to face many of these political motivations head on... assigning blame inevitably to the Italian people. This is distinct from something like say, The Conformist (a great film in it's own right), which only does so two or three times removed through philosophical smoke and mirrors. A lot of the time primarily political art is the most frustrating to try and appreciate in hindsight. Will the next generation struggle with Steve McQueen's Hunger in a similar way? maybe more so, as the visceral appeal isn't as quite as extreme in the context of most other media of our time...

schoolofruckus
03-29-2011, 08:33 AM
All good observations. Hunger is another fantastic parallel here for this purpose, but if anything, I think it makes Salo look even less effective. The political value in Hunger (the portrayal of the lengths to which the human body can be used as a vehicle of protest) is strong, but it's also so compelling in terms of form and performance that it's difficult for me to imagine it won't attract viewers in the future.

I agree with what you said about Pasolini perhaps having become too committed to capturing the specifics of Salo itself, no doubt because of his outrage at having witnessed much of it first hand. The film plays that way - angrily obsessed with the atrocities it shines a light on, to the point that the focus is on showing them at the expense of making focused commentary on them. But I like your point about this film flipping the perspective of neo-realist cinema - that's something I hadn't thought of.

The Conformist is a masterpiece with no qualifications.

wmgaretjax
03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, there is definitely an anger in both his and Haneke's films... and I think that might weaken some of their works from a traditional filmic perspective, but there is something to be said for angry art... making a film is such a long and exhausting process, it's pretty impressive that a filmmaker can channel that anger (in an effective way imo) for such a sustained period of time. If anything, it makes for an interesting viewing experience from that perspective.

TallGuyCM
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
The Rum Diary gets an October release:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/03/the-rum-diary-finally-has-a-release-date

KungFuJoe
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
YES! Can't wait to see this in the theatre.
lycAYessDNo

Aphxtwinin
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Anyone see The Terrys short film by Tim and Eric. If not, watch it...it will change your life

wmgaretjax
03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
friend of a friend's movie hits NYC theaters this week. looks brilliant.

and an interview (http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2011/03/alistair-banks-griffin-two-gates-of-sleep/) to show he's not fucking around.

schoolofruckus
03-30-2011, 04:07 PM

and an interview (http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2011/03/alistair-banks-griffin-two-gates-of-sleep/) to show he's not fucking around.

I've been desperate to see this film ever since missing it at AFI. Does he know if it's playing anywhere else?

wmgaretjax
03-30-2011, 04:25 PM
it's getting a DVD release pretty shortly. i'll see if I can find out anything else.

schoolofruckus
03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Not good enough. Tell your friend to tell his friend to call the Cinefamily or some shit.

bobert
03-30-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm intrigued. The cinematography looks incredible.

juloxx
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Any Akira fans here? Well prepare to smash your computer screen

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/

bobert
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Any Akira fans here? Well prepare to smash your computer screen

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/

Well, at least they're only going to change everything that made the movie a classic. Great job, Hollywood.

TallGuyCM
03-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't think I mentioned it after I watched it last week, but the locust scene and the 20 or so minutes that followed it in Malick's Days of Heaven was one of the most marvelous scenes I've seen in anything ever.

wmgaretjax
03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
yes sir. no doubt about it. up there with the riot scene in werckmeister harmonies... both scenes left me completely overwhelmed.

Down Rodeo
03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
The victory sequence in The Thin Red Line had a similar effect on me recently.

Also, Two Gates of Sleep does look awesome indeed. The trailer almost makes it look like a modern twist on As I Lay Dying.

SoulDischarge
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Watched My Winnipeg, which was absolutely delightful. I haven't laughed so hard at something in ages. I pretty much love everything about what Guy Maddin's does, and this was one of his best that I've seen, even if it was kind of rambling and self indulgent (but in all the best ways).

aY9BtROpNQ4

Maddin can be a little alienating, but everyone who hasn't already should check this one out. Seriously people, do it. (I think Hannah in particular would enjoy it).

Alchemy
03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
I just finished Summer Wars after KungFuJoe's recommendation. I thought it had some fantastic characters in it, but the sci-fi storyline wasn't so great. It had a great romantic premise that I wish they ran with.

I also just finished the Three Colors trilogy, which I loved. In my opinion: Blue > Red > White. Blue was magnificent.

I alllso recently watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - a prrrretty great western.

KungFuJoe
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/totorothumb.jpg
http://japancinema.net/2011/04/01/exclusive-first-look-pixar-studios-totoro-coming-2011/

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
That is a really heartbreaking April Fool's joke, because I would love to see that happen. Setting the release date for this year kind of kills the joke though

cutterbutter
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I HATE the way Totoro looks in that picture. That should never even be joked about.

Down Rodeo
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I also just finished the Three Colors trilogy, which I loved. In my opinion: Blue > Red > White. Blue was magnificent.

Spot on.

I alllso recently watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - a prrrretty great western.

I recently watched this too and it was an excellent film.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Ha! I recently watched that as well. Love it.

Also. Red and Blue are neck and neck for me... they flip back and forth from time to time.

schoolofruckus
04-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Jen and I watched Due Date last night. It was pretty great, thanks to a mean-spirited current that most movies of this ilk tend to ultimately shy away from. There are definitely some large-scale hijinks and sight gags (almost all of which you would have seen in the trailers), but the bulk of the humor derives from Downey's misanthropy, which is allowed to play almost completely unhinged. He seriously gives a top-notch performance playing the "straight" man here. Galifianakis is excellent as well - the best narrative performance I've seen from him. The tone is a little weird - which, I would imagine, is the reason so many people were cool on it - but I think this one will find a bit more appreciation down the road.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
i think Another Year is finally available on DVD... probably the best film I've seen in a long time. probably leigh's most subtly crafted character piece... and that's really saying something.

i might add that it is probably one of the most vicious movies this side of Haneke... really jarring to go from Happy Go-Lucky to this.

mountmccabe
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Jen and I watched Due Date last night. It was pretty great, thanks to a mean-spirited current that most movies of this ilk tend to ultimately shy away from. There are definitely some large-scale hijinks and sight gags (almost all of which you would have seen in the trailers), but the bulk of the humor derives from Downey's misanthropy, which is allowed to play almost completely unhinged. He seriously gives a top-notch performance playing the "straight" man here. Galifianakis is excellent as well - the best narrative performance I've seen from him. The tone is a little weird - which, I would imagine, is the reason so many people were cool on it - but I think this one will find a bit more appreciation down the road.

This is the review I wrote about that fine film (though I don't think I posted it here,) after I saw it because I lost a bet

There is a point in Due Date, maybe 3/4 of the way through that it threatens to go completely off the rail. The biggest set piece of the film is developing and it is way crazier than anything we've seen before and there is no logical way out. It is at this point in some films that we'll get a twist that'll blow our minds and make us reinterpret everything that has happened thus far or maybe it will go into entirely into a fantasy land. Or, as in many of these poorly plotted collections of almost unrelated set pieces, it'll magically be morning and everything will be back to normal, spitting in the face of what made the bit we just saw work. Oh, sorry, viewer's sense of wonder at what is going on and how it is going to be resolved, you're no longer necessary because we got our laugh.

That brief moment of wonder – which was quickly spat upon – is what I got out of Due Date. Well, that and a few laughs, mostly at things I saw in the hundreds of ads I saw for this fine film. I mean, sure, it is great that they held on to it for so long so as to avoid the summer blockbusters and get in before Thanksgiving and Christmas but if they knew it was a film to dump why advertise for it so much? Fuck off, Fox!

This is a film about two people – one pathetic and despicable, the other psychopathic and despicable – travelling from one clumsily telegraphed comedy sketch to another. Sure, these are movie-level comedy sketches so they can have weed and a masturbating dog and Robert Downey Jr being shot, twice. And they can show the straight man getting a contact high – his first – which causes him to hallucinate and form a deep bond with a man he hates.

This fresh trope does not actually change anything though. The only thing resolved in the film is geographic location. There’s quite a bit of mileage around Zach’s dad and Robert’s rage but Zach continues to be ridiculous and Robert continues to be an asshole. And, sure, Robert is able to tolerate the adoring Zach some of the time but he still can’t even be nice.

The dog, when not masturbating was sadly underused. He made few noises and except in a few spots where he was eating off of Zach’s fork or trying to look stoned the same effect could’ve be brought about by having Zach carry around a purse.

Being in Arizona I must also knock them for making a big deal about the Grand Canyon and then green screening it and then having the least Grand Canyon-esque setting and experience.

Zach Galifianakis occasionally had some funny lines in the “oh, really, they’re going that far to paint him as stupid?” style of funny and Robert Downey Jr was generally believable and sympathetic as someone who mostly wanted to tear Zach apart... but completely unsympathetic in every other way. The other characters hardly exist, which is probably what is best for them.

schoolofruckus
04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
So, Monsters was weak shit. The line producer gets an A+, but I'd have to give basically everyone else a C or worse. I loved the ending until Jen brought to my attention that it directly connects with the cold opening, which I think is pretty cheap - without that, it's a fantastic climax. As it stands, it's an immaculately resourceful but thoroughly shallow film, both in its view of the characters and its storytelling abilities.

I'm in the middle of a fucking miserable allergy attack that kept me from being at Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair this afternoon. I had tickets and everything, but dragging my wheezing, snot-pouring head into a five hour screening would have gone against every principle I hold towards theatergoing etiquette.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah. i really wish the good ending wasn't tarnished by the beginning.

Down Rodeo
04-02-2011, 09:12 PM
i think Another Year is finally available on DVD... probably the best film I've seen in a long time. probably leigh's most subtly crafted character piece... and that's really saying something.

i might add that it is probably one of the most vicious movies this side of Haneke... really jarring to go from Happy Go-Lucky to this.

How I've waited so damn long to see this film...and missed out on several chances too. This is great to hear though, Jared. I'm going to track this down right away.

Speaking of missed chances...Uncle Boonmee was playing right down the street from me during spring break and I missed it. Probably not a huge loss but I'll likely have very few chances to see a Weerasethakul film on the big screen again.

TallGuyCM
04-03-2011, 01:57 AM
I watched Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels tonight. Given the description of the film, I was mostly expecting a high-paced assassin romp of sorts, but instead it turned out being this odd, strangely interesting little introspective piece that examined relationships and perspective (I think).

schoolofruckus
04-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Speaking of missed chances...Uncle Boonmee was playing right down the street from me during spring break and I missed it. Probably not a huge loss but I'll likely have very few chances to see a Weerasethakul film on the big screen again.

That's unfortunate, but I'm guessing you'll get plenty of chances to see his future work in cinemas. Uncle Boonmee is doing okay...hopefully distributors like Strand continue to pick up his films.

I watched Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels tonight. Given the description of the film, I was mostly expecting a high-paced assassin romp of sorts, but instead it turned out being this odd, strangely interesting little introspective piece that examined relationships and perspective (I think).

I fucking LOVE Fallen Angels. I'm assuming this was your first Wong Kar-Wai film (it was mine too).

TallGuyCM
04-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I fucking LOVE Fallen Angels. I'm assuming this was your first Wong Kar-Wai film (it was mine too).

It was my first indeed. I decided to watch it randomly, Haneke's Funny Games was having problems playing on Netflix Instant, so after giving up on that for some reason Fallen Angels caught my eye.

I look forward to checking out Wong's other films, Fallen Angels had a very unique style to it that I quite liked.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Watched Mesrine Part 2: Public Enemy #1 last night...it was somehow more violent, with more bank heists, gun battles, and prison break than the first one. I highly suggest this duology to anyone that likes gritty crime stuff. It's super entertaining and Vincent Cassell does a terrific job in it.

Neutral Milk Hotel
04-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Haha, Wong Kar-Wai is about as far from high-paced romps as you can get. My first WKW was 2046, which has to be his most fractured, inaccessible films, but I loved it, and I love him.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I have seen Chungking Express, which I LOVED (and coincidentally stayed in the Chngking Mansion when i visited Hong Kong before I ever saw the film, so that gave me an added layer to it) and My Blueberry Nights, which I was so/so about. I need to check out his other stuff

schoolofruckus
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Happy Woulda-Been-79th Birthday, Andrei Tarkovsky. How the fuck were you able to shoot Polaroids that look like stills from your films (http://www.toxicocultura.com/blog/?p=5360)? Was it a magic camera as a result of having been transferred from Antonioni to you?

SoulDischarge
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Those are stunning.

PotVsKtl
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, gorgeous shots and proof that Tarkovsky was the mind behind the mise-en-scene.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Just watched Summer Wars...thanks for the rec, KungFuJoe! It was beautiful.

Alchemy
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
So I've had absolutely no interest in seeing Scott Pilgrim vs. The World except for the fact that everybody kept telling me that it was great. I just remember the trailers seeming really lame.

That being said, I just watched it and gave it 5 stars on Netflix.

TallGuyCM
04-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Happy Woulda-Been-79th Birthday, Andrei Tarkovsky.

I celebrated his birthday by watching The Sacrifice for the first time tonight. Like most of his films, there's a good amount of visual and thematic content that I wasn't able to fully grasp with one viewing. What an amazing work, though. It seems like on here it's considered one of his lesser films, which is just hilarious, because for 99% of the filmmakers that have ever existed it would have been their mangum opus.

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
After Ivan's Childhood, I wouldn't consider anything Tarkovsky did to be minor. His last six films each deserve to be called the best I've ever seen. Jared said once that his favorite Tarkovsky is whichever one he watched last, which is the best way to put it.

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Did anyone see Tiny Furniture? I heard it was a Juno-esque quirkfest (and it certainly looked the part), but apparently it's getting a Criterion release.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. is allegedly getting one as well...

wmgaretjax
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Jared said once that his favorite Tarkovsky is whichever one he watched last, which is the best way to put it.

I feel the same way about Bresson to be honest... Although if you really, really press me I'd say Mirror and Mouchette. Wait... Solaris and Pickpocket... fuck.

tricorne
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Have any of you ever subscribed to/checked out Wholphin (http://www.wholphindvd.com/issues/) from McSweeney's? Someone I know's looking for a gift recommend for someone else I know who I think would like it in theory, but I've never checked it out myself and I trust you guys a little more than randomly googled internet reviews. Good gift? Bad gift?

wmgaretjax
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
eh... the wholphin stuff can be a lot of fun to watch if you are a film nerd... but they are really, really, really, really hit and miss. i'd say good gift for a major film nerd that likes short films. but bad gift for anyone else.

BlackSwan
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
So I've had absolutely no interest in seeing Scott Pilgrim vs. The World except for the fact that everybody kept telling me that it was great. I just remember the trailers seeming really lame.

That being said, I just watched it and gave it 5 stars on Netflix.

Right? The same thing happened to me. Vegan powers.

juloxx
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
not as many people are angered at the potential butchering of Akira as I thought there would be. Perhaps a visual aid might help.

This guy....
http://www.toplessrobot.com/tetsuo.jpg

Is potentially gonna be played by this guy....
http://newsinabox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Robert-Pattinson-twilight.jpg

TallGuyCM
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
:confused:

Sean Hayes (of Will and Grace fame) to play Larry in The Three Stooges:

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1062-sean-hayes-is-your-latest-and-hopefully-last-stooge

tricorne
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
eh... the wholphin stuff can be a lot of fun to watch if you are a film nerd... but they are really, really, really, really hit and miss. i'd say good gift for a major film nerd that likes short films. but bad gift for anyone else.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks. I'm not surprised, given that McSweeney's as a whole could probably adopt "We're Hit Or Miss" as a tagline without ruffling even the most devoted feathers.

AlecEiffel
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
not as many people are angered at the potential butchering of Akira as I thought there would be.

Yeah, it's going to be bad. It's not a huge surprise. No one is going to take the original away from you.

BeaverCat
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
not as many people are angered at the potential butchering of Akira as I thought there would be. Perhaps a visual aid might help.

This guy....
http://www.toplessrobot.com/tetsuo.jpg

Is potentially gonna be played by this guy....
http://newsinabox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Robert-Pattinson-twilight.jpg

Robert Pattinson getting his arm blown off and transforming into a giant grotesque blob of flesh?... I'm warming up to it..

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
It's really difficult to reconcile the guy who gave this interview (http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2001/sep/25/artsfeatures1) with the guy who directed Your Highness.

SoulDischarge
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Speaking of great directors and photography: http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2011/03/stanley-kubricks-chicago-1949/

juloxx
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
FRxt1GiiZiA

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
That doesn't qualify as a movie.

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Speaking of great directors and photography: http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2011/03/stanley-kubricks-chicago-1949/

That's a fucking SPECTACULAR collection of shots.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-05-2011, 05:13 PM

I guess i'll have to just not watch it? Akira is already one of my favorite movies, what the fuck do i care if they make a shitty remake of it. What they need to do is re-release the original '80s dub of it. the new one sucks balls.

buddy
04-05-2011, 05:18 PM

yes, those are amazing. i'd read that he'd been a photographer before, but it's obvious from those photos why his movies are shot so beautifully.

mountmccabe
04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah, it's going to be bad. It's not a huge surprise. No one is going to take the original away from you.

I was planning on rounding up all copies of the original and destroying them upon release of the new film.

stepup2stepout
04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I just got done watching Source Code. I seriously have no idea how this film received positive reviews. That was one of the worst films I have ever seen.

juloxx
04-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I was planning on rounding up all copies of the original and destroying them upon release of the new film.

What makes me feel mildly hopeful about the up-coming film is the fact that the rights were bought by Leonardo Dicaprio's studio. That man usually knows how to pick good rolls and take care of his movies. That being said, all I have to know is whether or not the movie will be rated PG-13 or R. According to that cracked article it is going to be PG-13, in which case all hope is lost. But then again, that was an article by fucking cracked.com

schoolofruckus
04-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Rubber was even a little nuttier than I expected it to be. The critique of American filmgoing culture was a little too broad for my liking (though that's not to say I don't agree with the point), and even at 85 minutes the film was starting to quickly run out of steam by the end. But I have to offer the contradictory verdict that it simultaneously feels both like nothing I've ever seen, and like it could have easily been a Godard film of the mid-60's. I didn't quite love it, but I'm really glad it exists.

Alchemist559
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Hobo with a Shotgun is out now, pretty fucked up movie. Daft Punk from hell make an awesome appearance.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
What makes me feel mildly hopeful about the up-coming film is the fact that the rights were bought by Leonardo Dicaprio's studio. That man usually knows how to pick good rolls and take care of his movies. That being said, all I have to know is whether or not the movie will be rated PG-13 or R. According to that cracked article it is going to be PG-13, in which case all hope is lost. But then again, that was an article by fucking cracked.com

there's honestly not a lot that would be lost by making it pg-13, it's not like Akira has a ton of blood and guts and F-bombs every other word

HandBanana
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I really liked a good 70 possibly even 80% of Source Code.
I kind of wish it was a lower budget and smaller scale flick that was a bit more about the head than the asplosion, but blowin up pretend trains cant be cheap. The trailer should never have included so much info but thats what trailers do nowadays so whatever.

PotVsKtl
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I seem to recall an Olympic Stadium full of guts in Akira.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
well, it's a big mushy monster that i guess looks like guts, yeah

obzen
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Tetsuo was not a monster, he just had Akira.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow,Timecrimes is really awesome. Based on the title, it was not what i was expecting, at all.

TallGuyCM
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Better than Timecop?

guedita
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I saw Rubber last night and thought it was great. I usually get super irritated by films dragging on unnecessarily but I did not feel that way at all. Oh, but the best part about the movie was that I saw it in a small theater that had 8 viewers total including me. And the couple two rows behind be wouldn't stop whispering and talking to each other.

I also watched Piranhas 3D last night. And I really hope there is a sequel.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I also watched Piranhas 3D last night. And I really hope there is a sequel.

i was reading the other day that the concept for the sequel is that they get into the plumbing of a town, and the main set piece is going to be a water park. Should be amazing.

zircona1
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Piranha 3D was disappointing.

HandBanana
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Piranha 3D was a blast.
It was streamlined into exactly what it should have been and then it excelled at being it.

We even saw it while drunk at a drive in, which is really the optimal way to view such things.

zircona1
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Yea I guess if you were drinking with friends while watching it would be more enjoyable. I just thought it could've been so much better, most of the cast was wasted. I did enjoy the beach massacre though.

HandBanana
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Teh chomped peniz

zircona1
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Poor Kelly Brook...

daxton
04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Did anyone see Tiny Furniture? I heard it was a Juno-esque quirkfest (and it certainly looked the part), but apparently it's getting a Criterion release.

No, but can't wait to.

Is this in here yet?

rBa5qp9sUOY

TallGuyCM
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
The closest Blockbuster to me is going out of business, and they're selling off all the inventory super cheap. I picked up previously viewed DVDs of The White Ribbon and Synecdoche, New York, neither of which I've seen yet, but have heard enough good things about both that for $9 total for both I couldn't pass it up.

zircona1
04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
The closest Blockbuster to me is going out of business, and they're selling off all the inventory super cheap. I picked up previously viewed DVDs of The White Ribbon and Synecdoche, New York, neither of which I've seen yet, but have heard enough good things about both that for $9 total for both I couldn't pass it up.

The White Ribbon is pretty good, Synecdoche you'll either love or hate. Still, $9 for both is a good deal.

guedita
04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
The White Ribbon is FANTASTIC. I saw it a few months ago and sometimes I still think about it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
i still need to see The White Ribbon. I am in the camp of LOVE for Synedoche. It's so good.

bobert
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
The White Ribbon is pretty good, Synecdoche you'll either love or hate. Still, $9 for both is a good deal.

Both of those movies are pretty great. I'm not a huge Haneke fan, but I loved The White Ribbon. His best film IMO.

TallGuyCM
04-07-2011, 10:31 PM
See, I am actually a big Haneke fan, and I've heard the word "austere" used to describe The White Ribbon, so I'm expecting more than a little bit of a detour from what he's known for, but have high expectations nonetheless.

paulb
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM
LOVED The White Ribbon indeed!!! Synedoche, NY....not so much....may have to try again

PotVsKtl
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
http://www.chud.com/46741/melancholia-is-no-antichrist-2-quite-grim-regardless/

Melancholia trailer.

schoolofruckus
04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I was just coming in to post this. NSFW, but goddamn it looks awesome.

TallGuyCM
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes yes yes yes yes.

whynotsmile99
04-10-2011, 03:30 PM
more fun times at the downtown independent

Pink Flamingos + Cry-Baby Double Feature Drink-Along & Beer Pong

http://www.downtownindependent.com/events/pink-flamingos-crybaby-double

bleep
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Alex Skarsgard is in Melancholia?! i'll be there on opening day with fucking bells on.

fiyahhh!
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Did anyone go to Monsterpalooza this weekend? Has anyone ever gone to this? I might check it out next year.
http://www.rubberroom101.com/monsterpalooza2011/events/index.html

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2011, 08:55 AM
saw "of gods and men" and "hannah" saturday. liked them both. glad i saw "of gods and men" as a matinee though.

zircona1
04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I watched Martyrs on Friday night. Honestly, it was probably one of the hardest films I've ever had to watch (up there with Salo). It won't be easy to forget either.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I liked this enough from that other hanna thread to move it over here.
http://www.boingboing.net/xed-out-grub-tb.jpg

Also, I watched Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome yesterday and WOW that is such a WTF mess of a movie. There's unfortunately enough to like in it that it's disappointing what it is in the end.

SoulDischarge
04-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah. That movie is a total let down. You pretty much have to make your own remix of it to make it watchable, which basically involves cutting out all the parts without Tina Turner.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-13-2011, 02:42 PM

I really enjoyed The White Ribbon but thought Synecdoche, New York was a profound masterpiece! I'm still thinking about it today and I saw it last month, it is just brilliant. Then again I have never been disappointed with anything Charlie Kaufman has written/directed. And this being the first time he directed a film, I thought it was an onslaught of humor and drama. But to sum it up I would say: It's meta bro, MEEEETTTTTAAAAA!

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Going back to The White Ribbon, it set itself up to be a murder mystery type movie, but what it ended up being was something much different. And because of that skew of genre, the movie really stuck with me.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-13-2011, 02:53 PM
And for my last act!!!!

So I realize Coachella is soon and no one cares about movies until the weekend is over, but I'm trying to find some movies to check out at the SFIFF which starts the weekend after Coachella and although I've bought tickets to three movies, I know some of the films have circulated and if you have seen them, please recommend!

So far I have tickets for:
The Whistleblower
Ha Ha Ha
Meek's Cutoff
and I may get a ticket for the zombie flick Stake Land.

Any thoughts?

schoolofruckus
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
The films playing that are already on my radar are:

Another Earth (sounds great from Sundance / SXSW coverage)
Aurora (because The Death of Mr. Lazarescu ruled)
The Battle of Genesis and Lady Jaye (because Throbbing Gristle owned my soul at Coachella 2009)
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (I've seen it - I like it more than most people, it seems)
The Future (Miranda July - been waiting a while for this one)
Nostalgia For the Light (trailer looked good before Rubber last week)
Tabloid (even though I disliked The Fog of War)
The Trip (even though I was cool on Tristram Shandy)

Plus the aforementioned Meek's Cutoff, which I'm seeing next Friday afternoon at the Arclight.

CuervoPH
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I watched Martyrs on Friday night. Honestly, it was probably one of the hardest films I've ever had to watch (up there with Salo). It won't be easy to forget either.

I never fast forward through scenes in movies regardless of how disturbing they might be. With that being said, I had my hand on the fast forward button on the remote several times during Martyrs. I was tempted to hit it but didn't. That said, I was uncomfortable watching it and agree that it's a movie that will stay with the viewer.

schoolofruckus
04-13-2011, 04:42 PM
The thing that bothered me most about Martyrs is that it was a shitty movie. I mean, I was plenty disturbed by the relentless acts of cruelty (including a person being flayed) and the sense of misery that pervaded in almost every frame. But when all of that is at the service of a film that's less artful than your average episode of "CSI", it's all the more difficult to endure.

PotVsKtl
04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
The thing that bothered me most about Martyrs is that it was a shitty movie. I mean, I was plenty disturbed by the relentless acts of cruelty (including a person being flayed) and the sense of misery that pervaded in almost every frame. But when all of that is at the service of a film that's less artful than your average episode of "CSI", it's all the more difficult to endure.

I honestly feel like the purposeful evolution of style from faux doc to slasher to psych thriller to torture porn to near-future sci-fi was enough to hold up the spit in the face it essentially is. That's coming from a big horror fan though, and a lot of the appeal is the micro-genre-bending. The individual pieces were all shitty, it can't be denied.

kroqken
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Is anyone planning to see the documentary on comedian Bill Hicks?

PotVsKtl
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey Ken, I'm trying to real talk with my homies right now.

kroqken
04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey Ken, I'm trying to real talk with my homies right now.

Oops, sorry. I did not mean to "movie block" you.

TallGuyCM
04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
LOL!

PotVsKtl
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Dissed by kroqken.

KungFuJoe
04-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Just watched Summer Wars...thanks for the rec, KungFuJoe! It was beautiful.

Glad you liked it! and you're welcome.

I would like to recommend for anyone in L.A. to go check out Sion Sono's Love Exposure during it's one week run at the Cinefamily Silent Movie Theater. I'm not sure your butt's will be too happy sitting in those seats for 4 hours though.

http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/loveexposure.html#loveexposure

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I honestly feel like the purposeful evolution of style from faux doc to slasher to psych thriller to torture porn to near-future sci-fi was enough to hold up the spit in the face it essentially is. That's coming from a big horror fan though, and a lot of the appeal is the micro-genre-bending. The individual pieces were all shitty, it can't be denied.

Wanna see Stake Land at the SFIFF with me?

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
JLiZSQ3kUnM

The trailer kind of does it for me.

tricorne
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
What an unnecessary end tagline, though. "A road movie with teeth" sits about as effectively at the end of that trailer as "it's what's for dinner" or "the other white meat."

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-14-2011, 09:39 AM
LOL!

!!!

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-14-2011, 09:42 AM
What an unnecessary end tagline, though. "A road movie with teeth" sits about as effectively at the end of that trailer as "it's what's for dinner" or "the other white meat."

Call me old fashioned, or a 13-year-old girl who reads romantic fiction, but I like Vampire movies. Hell I like any movie that entertains me with blood and seduction. But I ABSOLUTELY agree about that tagline. It oughta be a fun flick.

schoolofruckus
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Cannes lineup is fucking SICK:

In Competition:
“The Skin That I Live In” - Pedro Almodovar
“L’Apollonide”” - Betrand Bonello
“Footnote” - Joseph Cedar
“Paterre” - Alain Cavalier
“Once Upon A Time In Anatolia” - Nuri Bilge Ceylan
“The Kid With The Bike” - The Dardenne Brothers
“Le Havre” - Aki Kaurismaki
“Hanezu no Tsuki” - Naomi Kawase
“Sleeping Beauty” - Julia Leigh
“Tree of LIfe” - Terrence Malick
“La Source de Femmes” - Radu Mihaileanu
“Polisse” - Maïwenn Le Besco
“Harakiri” - Takashi Miike
“We Have A Pope” - Nanni Moretti
“Melancholia” - Lars Von Trier
“This Must Be The Place” - Paolo Sorrentino
“Drive” - Nicholas Winding Refn
“We Need To Talk About Kevin” - Lynne Ramsay

Un Certain Regard:
“Restless” - Gus Van Sant
“Martha Marcy May Marlene” - Sean Durkin
“The Hunter” - Bazur Bakuradze”
“Halt auf freier Strecke” - Andreas Dresen
“Skoonheid” - Oliver Hermanus
“Hors Satan” - Bruno Dumont
Les Neiges du Kilimandjaro” - Robert Guédiguian
“The Days He Arrives” - Hong Sang-Soo
“Bonsai” - Christian Jimenez
“Tatsumi” - Erik Khoo
“En maintenant, on va ou?” - Nadine Labaki
“Ariang” - Kim Ki Duk
“Loverboy”- Cătălin Mitulescu,
“Toomelah” - Ivan Sen
“Yellow Sea” - Na Hong-Jin,
“Miss Bala” - Gerardo Naranjo,
“L’exercice de l’Etat” - Pierre Schoeller,
“Oslo, August 31st” Joachim Trier
“Travailler fatigue” - Juliana Rojas, Marco Dutra

Out of Competition:
“The Beaver” - Jodie Foster
“The Artist” - Michel Hazanavicius
“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” - Rob Marshall
“La Conquete” - Xavier Durringer
“Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom Of Doom” - Jennifer Yuh

Special Screenings:
“Labrador” - Frederikke Aspock
“Le maître des forges de l’enfer” - Rithy Panh
“Un documentaire sur Michel Petrucciani” - Michael Radford
“Tous au Larzac” - Christian Rouaud

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Cannes lineup is fucking SICK:

“Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom Of Doom” - Jennifer Yuh

Fucking sick.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
The Beaver too.

wmgaretjax
04-15-2011, 08:36 PM
like Godard? 32 films. (http://avaxhome.ws/video/quality/dvd/Jean_Luc_Godard_DVD_Collection.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20avaxhome%2FwkEo%20%28AvaxHo me%20New%29)

TallGuyCM
04-16-2011, 02:15 AM
OH MY GOODNESS. That's intimidating just to scroll through, much less watch them all.

schoolofruckus
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Fucking sick.

The Cannes premiere of big Hollywood films has seemed to get a little out of hand over the past decade, and not for the betterment of the festival. Personally, the inclusion of one of these Pirates of the Caribbean monstrosities is what I find most disheartening.

I watched Spanglish last night. There was an almost staggering level of amateurishness in the way it was made, but I have to say, I liked what it was after.

GnarVee
04-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Hanna was prettty badass

KungFuJoe
04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Hobo with a Shotgun is fucking fantastic!

schoolofruckus
04-19-2011, 09:46 AM
The Sacrifice is coming to BluRay in June!!!! (http://www.amazon.com/Sacrifice-2-Disc-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B004VH657U/?tag=blurayforum-20)

boxofbox
04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
The Sacrifice is coming to BluRay in June!!!! (http://www.amazon.com/Sacrifice-2-Disc-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B004VH657U/?tag=blurayforum-20)

I prefer my VHS copy thank you very much.

wmgaretjax
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
hahahaha

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Somewhat recently I think it was handbanana that was talking about and posted a trailer for Magic...I just watched it and holy shit! Not what I was expecting at all. Great, great movie.

Grandma
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
fuck...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21photographers.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

PotVsKtl
04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Wanna see Stake Land at the SFIFF with me?

Did not see this. Definitely down for some SFIFF.

schoolofruckus
04-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Four Lions fucking rocked. It took me a while to catch up with it, but by the time it was over, I was in love with it.

MissingPerson
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm a huge, huge Chris Morris fan, but something about the premise never really seized my attention.

Have you seen much of his TV stuff? How would it compare?

roberto73
04-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Four Lions fucking rocked. It took me a while to catch up with it, but by the time it was over, I was in love with it.

Absolutely one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Have you seen The IT Crowd? Four Lions was directed by the guy who plays Denholm, which, if you know that show, is unexpected.

EDIT: And of course I realize Morris is known for more than that in the UK, but over here he's an unknown quantity.

schoolofruckus
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm a huge, huge Chris Morris fan, but something about the premise never really seized my attention.

Have you seen any of his stuff before?

No, I missed a big retrospective of his stuff (Four Lions shown three times, each with other shorts or TV specials or whatever) back in March at Cinefamily.

The premise wasn't really grabbing my attention either - I'm not generally a fan of political satire. It's also pretty unsettling in the early-going, which is part of why I wasn't digging it. But it ended up being great because it was about the things that people believe rather than the workings of the government. It's also expertly made; if it weren't so fucking absurd, it would almost work as a thriller. Its position is hardly one that most non-fundamentalists would find controversial (namely, that terrorism is a fucking ridiculous practice, and its ramifications seldom grasped in full by the people who carry it out), but it's executed unbelievably well - and once you're in tune with its sense of humor, it's fucking hysterical.

MissingPerson
04-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Seriously, if you've not, go see Chris Morris other TV stuff, Brass Eye and The Day Today. He's kind of a Bill Hicks figure in British comedy, except posher and smarter and angrier. He's a bit mysterious and terrifying and newspapers are afraid of him. It's great.

Also, his Day Today persona would eat Jon Stewart's for breakfast.

SLbSZatEoYE

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I think An Education was somehow worse than everybody here made it out to be. I am doubly mad about the disc for Cube from netflix not working properly now.

schoolofruckus
04-20-2011, 07:48 PM
It makes me happy when people hate that movie.

AlecEiffel
04-20-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. Fight For Your Right Revisited is going to be on MTV2, Vh1 Classic and Palladia at midnight tonight, then uncensored on Comedy Central at 3am.

Edit: Also on regular VH1

schoolofruckus
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah my bad. We covered it in the Beastie Boys corner in Music. I saw it on Sunday - it's pretty amusing. Suprefan was correct that my name is in the credits. You can also see the orange Conan blimp in the sky overhead in several shots.

suprefan
04-20-2011, 09:18 PM
To everyone with satellite, for the Comedy Central airing, its kind of ''hidden''. Search it by just putting in ''Beastie'' and youll find it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
What?

EDIT: oh, looks like you tried to post an image but the url was bad.

EDIT 2: Google-fu works again. Yes, that. I had never seen it before. Got through the first 8 minutes, and instantly was intrigued...and then the disc totally fucked up. Looked at it, and it has a weird discoloration all around the center...looked like something got spilled on it.

Alchemy
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I just watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for the first time tonight. I loved it. I almost teared up at some parts.

Grandma
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
derp
wUb2mAUggW4&feature=player_embedded#at=11

AlecEiffel
04-20-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm amazed that's gone two days without being taken down.

schoolofruckus
04-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Trailer for Another Earth looks fantastic. I'm really digging this year's trend of great and interesting movies being released prior to Oscar season. Between this, Tree of Life, Meek's Cutoff (which I'm seeing tomorrow morning), Bellflower, and some of the films I've seen so far this year (Redland, Uncle Boonmee and You Won't Miss Me, for starters), 2011 is shaping up to be one of the best recent years in film.

-npOAbsJSTU

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-21-2011, 02:19 PM

This is the review i felt compelled to leave on netflix when i went and saw that it was all almost universally being left 4 and 5-star reviews, and almost all of the negative reviews were left by people who thought it was "creepy" or objected to it simply based on moral reasons.

‎So the moral of this insipid story is that you can do whatever you want with no consequences, tell everybody to screw off, and then get everything you want. The plot is bland, the supporting cast of great actors are used as wallpaper reci...ting ridiculous plot-service dialogue (poor Alfred Molina!), and the bizarre feminist ideologies are so backwards and twisted that it's confounding.

The lead character is extremely unsympathetic, which in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that the entire point of the movie is that we're supposed to like her. Why only one item in an entire chain of unfortunate circumstances should finally change her mind at the end of the day is baffling after watching her stumble around this pathetic story drowning in her own self-righteousness.

What bothers me about most of the other bad reviews on here is they all stem from thinking it's creepy. There's nothing creepy about it considering that despite somehow being seductive to Jenny and her apparently very stupid parents, Sarsgaard's characters is so downtrodden and emasculated that he never comes off as threatening, and this film somehow has no sensuality to it whatsoever.

If you want creepy, watch Kubrick's version of "Lolita" and check out Peter Sellers' character. Even in 1962, they were able to merge a true feeling of unsettling horror and sex appeal with 10 times more power than this cardboard schlock wanna be melodrama after school special.

The real slap in the face comes at the end when the even the filmmakers decide that their plot resolution is such an unbelievable cop-out and simply bypass any explanation of how it could be achieved by rushing to the credits as soon as possible.

Ugh.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Did not see this. Definitely down for some SFIFF.

Ryan, I'm going to the Monday screening of that at the Kabuki.

Is anyone going to see the double-whammy tonight:

Hahaha @ 6:15 - Kabuki
Meek's Cutoff @ 9 - Kabuki ?

If so, I'll be there with a beer and a gray and black striped sweater.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
That sucks. At least you got to see the first guy get cubed, haha. I recommend it though - great sort of cult movie. The dialogue gets to be unintentionally hilarious at times, and the ending struck me as bit too ambiguous (won't spoil it for you), but not bad at all. The sequel is atrocious though.

yes, the first guy's death ahahaha.

I should be getting my replacement disc today, no biggie.

RageAgainstTheAoki
04-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Sad news about Tim Hetherington, photojournalist and co-director of Restrepo, being killed in Libya earlier this week. This is a strangely hypnotic short film he made last year...

"'Diary' is a highly personal and experimental film that expresses the subjective experience of my work, and was made as an attempt to locate myself after ten years of reporting. It's a kaleidoscope of images that link our western reality to the seemingly distant worlds we see in the media."

R1afC5-m4r8

bmack86
04-22-2011, 12:20 PM
That sucks. At least you got to see the first guy get cubed, haha. I recommend it though - great sort of cult movie. The dialogue gets to be unintentionally hilarious at times, and the ending struck me as bit too ambiguous (won't spoil it for you), but not bad at all. The sequel is atrocious though.

Cube 2 is so bad it's rarely funny. However, sometimes I laughed at the outdated graphics and unnecessary anger.

bobert
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I think An Education was somehow worse than everybody here made it out to be. I am doubly mad about the disc for Cube from netflix not working properly now.

It really wasn't bad until the final act, I thought. It's hard to remember any film in recent memory that squandered so much of its accomplishments in the name of a tidy, morally-sound finale.

schoolofruckus
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
This is the review i felt compelled to leave on netflix when i went and saw that it was all almost universally being left 4 and 5-star reviews, and almost all of the negative reviews were left by people who thought it was "creepy" or objected to it simply based on moral reasons.

You fucking nailed it.

schoolofruckus
04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
It really wasn't bad until the final act, I thought. It's hard to remember any film in recent memory that squandered so much of its accomplishments in the name of a tidy, morally-sound finale.

I didn't think it was AWFUL until the end, but it was nothing more than a milquetoast Oscar-beggar. Carrie Mulligan's performance was entirely overrated. She's charming, but offers little else.

schoolofruckus
04-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Meek's Cutoff was kind of disappointing. It was an interesting approach to the Western - a definitive rejection of the romanticism that is usually a staple of the genre - and Michelle Williams continues to cement her place as the greatest actress working right now. But something about it felt slight; I realize that sounds ridiculous as a criticism of a Kelly Reichardt film, but her last two were far more resonant with me for reasons that I'm having trouble defining. One tangible complaint - if you're going to go to such great lengths to create an impeccably realistic depiction of 200 years ago, it's a bad, bad move to cast Zoe Kazan in your film. Good god - as poor an actor as she is in contemporary-set films, she's a thousand times worse here, legitimately standing out like a pink feather boa among Williams, Paul Dano, and the rest of the otherwise fine cast.

obzen
04-22-2011, 04:09 PM
What's with all these remakes (Godzilla/Blade Runner/Total Recall)?

wmgaretjax
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
The Thing

schoolofruckus
04-22-2011, 04:16 PM
What's with all these remakes (Godzilla/Blade Runner/Total Recall)?

People pay to see them. All these horror franchises that keep getting rebooted (Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, Dawn of the Dead) get swallowed up by mobs of kids who just want to watch something jumpy on a Friday night, and every time one of them has a $30-$40 million opening weekend, ten more remakes are ordered.

The Godzilla remake doesn't bum me out too badly; people have been offering different takes on that one for fifty years. But I will fucking stab someone if a remake of Blade Runner ever hits screens.

amyzzz
04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
The Thing
I heard about a prequel. There's an actual remake in the works? (why??)

obzen
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
People pay to see them. All these horror franchises that keep getting rebooted (Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, Dawn of the Dead) get swallowed up by mobs of kids who just want to watch something jumpy on a Friday night, and every time one of them has a $30-$40 million opening weekend, ten more remakes are ordered.

The Godzilla remake doesn't bum me out too badly; people have been offering different takes on that one for fifty years. But I will fucking stab someone if a remake of Blade Runner ever hits screens.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the aforementioned remakes, as long as these projects don't get too fucked off.

Seriously though, motherfuckers are running out of ideas or what?

I think up epic shit all the time.

HandBanana
04-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Girl got sick so I'm stuck home tonight watching a longtime fave and sorta guilty pleasure: Miracle Mile.

It starts on a goofy foot but once it kicks into gear after 20 minutes it becomes a surprisingy potent real-time thriller.

Though to be honest I'm not sure how affecting this would be to someone that grew up post-cold war.

1N5FBXs1ZWw

AlecEiffel
04-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Miracle Mile is great!

schoolofruckus
04-23-2011, 09:46 AM
That movie sounds awesome. Apparently it's the film most notably identified with filming at Johnie's Coffee Shop, which is no small feat considering that The Big Lebowski, Short Cuts, and countless other movies have used it. I thought Pulp Fiction was on that list as well, but research says it was actually the Hawthorne Grill (which is no longer standing) that was stuck up by Pumpkin and Honey Bunny.

HandBanana
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
You should def check it out.
It's available on disc from Netflix and letmewatchthis (which is how I saw it last night)

PotVsKtl
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I heard about a prequel. There's an actual remake in the works? (why??)

Don't worry, they get to fight the aliens this time on their ship with flamethrowers and whatnot.

http://www.reviewstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/the-thing-remake-3.jpg

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
I saw Hahaha at the Kabuki last night and was not that thrilled. For one thing it dragged on, and the plot wasn't all that fascinating. Reading the summary of it on the SFIFF mag, it made it seem like it had a twist.

...[A] filmmaker meets up with a close friend for farewell drinks before departing from Korea. Upon discovering they both recently returned from the same spiritual seaside town, the two men agree to swap fond memories for each sip. As the simple stories unfold in flashback, only the audience can realize that their accounts take place at the same time, and with the same people.

But there wasn't much to the ending. However I did really enjoy the acting by the filmmaker character, the viewer could tell how "sincere" he was being when he was trying to woo the Wang girl, her:

http://fest11.sffs.org/i/stills/main/hahaha.jpg

Also, doesn't that shot make the film seem kind of dark and dreary minus, of course, the beautiful seaside town backdrop? Just thinking about stuff. All-in-all great recommendation, Chris.

schoolofruckus
04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Did you see Meek's Cutoff as well?

schoolofruckus
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Also, here's a nice little teaser for Bellflower that just dropped today. Apparently it's coming out on August 5th.

IbCMk9nPRHg

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I wanted to but when I realized they were showing it at the Opera Plaza in a few weeks, and I could save $7 if I wait, I decided to (drum roll) ... wait. Plus with your disappointment with it the minute I was about to leave to the theater, I wasn't too thrilled to be hanging out in a theater for 5 hours to catch both flicks. Long story short, I preferred to go to Zeitgeist and get trashed instead.

TallGuyCM
04-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Long story short, I preferred to go to Zeitgeist and get trashed instead.

This is never a bad choice. That place is great.