PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125

amyzzz
02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
By the way, I just watched Grave of the Fireflies...

... What the fuck...

It's not a movie. It's just stomping on your heart and losing everything. I am no longer an American. I will be close to nobody. The pain is too real. Don't show this movie to your kids. They will grow up to be empty shells.
I agree that it is a very powerful movie.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
UGH I HATE Dead Or Alive hahahaha

Check out Sydney Pollack's Yakuza
http://www.moviepostershop.com/the-yakuza-movie-poster-1020313039.jpg

schoolofruckus
02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm sort of accidentally watching the real story behind The Blind Side on TV right now and it reminded me touched I was by the movie. I'll probably get some shit for this, but whatever. I'm such a sucker for films about marginalized people overcoming adversity.

When you say "on TV", you really mean "on The View", don't you?

DANCE MAGIC
02-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Dead or Alive is ok but Deadly outlaw Rekka is way better.

I like the Black Triad trilogy quite a bit. Shinjuku Triad Society, Rainy Dog and Ley Lines. (all of these movies are directed by Takashi Miike)

bobert
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm sort of accidentally watching the real story behind The Blind Side on TV right now and it reminded me touched I was by the movie. I'll probably get some shit for this, but whatever. I'm such a sucker for films about marginalized people overcoming adversity.

I saw this interview with a very dismayed Michael Oher explaining, in as kind a way possible, that his rich, white foster-mother was not the one who taught him to play football. That scene where Sandra Bullock interrupts practice to tell Michael that he needs to protect the quarterback the way "he protects his family" and all of a sudden everything clicks for him and he's no longer a pussy and starts throwing lineman out of the back of the end zone. Great scene. "I guess they thought it would make a good story," was how the real Michael Oher described Hollywood's take on him overcoming adversity. But he's a millionaire now, so that's got to take some of the sting out of being exploited.

daxton
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I saw this interview with a very dismayed Michael Oher explaining, in as kind a way possible, that his rich, white foster-mother was not the one who taught him to play football. That scene where Sandra Bullock interrupts practice to tell Michael that he needs to protect the quarterback the way "he protects his family" and all of a sudden everything clicks for him and he's no longer a pussy and starts throwing lineman out of the back of the end zone. Great scene. "I guess they thought it would make a good story," was how the real Michael Oher described Hollywood's take on him overcoming adversity. But he's a millionaire now, so that's got to take some of the sting out of being exploited.

Yeah, there are parts of the story that definitely seem too good to be true. That doesn't surprise me at all. But, I don't think her not teaching him how to play football would really make a ton of difference in the story. It's just one scene.

wmgaretjax
02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
don't worry, you were duped along with numerous other deliriously sentimental individuals. hell... "awards" were given. in light of that, denial is as good of a strategy as any i guess...

bobert
02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah, there are parts of the story that definitely seem too good to be true. That doesn't surprise me at all. But, I don't think her not teaching him how to play football would really make a ton of difference in the story. It's just one scene.

It's not just one scene, though. It's the whole premise of the movie. It wasn't enough for the filmmakers to simply show the family giving Michael a nice loving home, they had to have a hand in every success this man ever enjoyed. The scene where Bullock is discussing Michael's abysmal test scores and notes that the one bright spot was a 98% in "protective instincts," and you can see the wheels turning in Sandra's head "left-tackle." They even had the 5 year old son teaching him plays using kitchen condiments for Christ-sake. It's a more subtle brand of racism than say, minstrel shows, but no less offensive if one is inclined to care about that sort of thing.

On a side note, back in school I always got terrible marks in Protective Instincts. That and Calculus. Hopefully my girl never finds out or she might not go out in public with me anymore.

schoolofruckus
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm sure that if I were to actually watch this movie, I would get an endless supply of comic material out of it. But even that isn't worth sitting through two hours of Magic Negro bullshit.

daxton
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
don't worry, you were duped along with numerous other deliriously sentimental individuals. hell... "awards" were given. in light of that, denial is as good of a strategy as any i guess...

LOL. Guilty as charged. I certainly don't think it deserved any awards.

It's not just one scene, though. It's the whole premise of the movie. It wasn't enough for the filmmakers to simply show the family giving Michael a nice loving home, they had to have a hand in every success this man ever enjoyed. The scene where Bullock is discussing Michael's abysmal test scores and notes that the one bright spot was a 98% in "protective instincts," and you can see the wheels turning in Sandra's head "left-tackle." They even had the 5 year old son teaching him plays using kitchen condiments for Christ-sake. It's a more subtle brand of racism than say, minstrel shows, but no less offensive if one is inclined to care about that sort of thing.

I see your point. I guess what really happened wasn't enough to sell to the sentimentalists. True story aside, the movie was touching and that was my only initial point. It's really too bad they exploited the whole reason for the story.

jackstraw94086
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
A Scanner Darkly's only significant fake-tech is the Scramble Suit. And that is primarily a bit of show; it has no real effect on the plot.

A lot of Dick's later writings are either not sci-fi at all or hardly sci-fi though they tend to get classified as such because that's where he got his start.

just a bit of show? srsly?
It's a piece of non-existant technology critical to the plot.

jackstraw94086
02-10-2011, 02:19 PM
We gave blacks rights a long time ago.

he's talking about stupids.

Down Rodeo
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Whoever said Rope was overrated a while back is terrible at judging movies. I finally watched it last night and it's damn amazing.

bobert
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was talking about when I said that Alfred Hitchcock tried it and it didn't work.

Go watch Rope from 1948.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/

He actually went much further than Gaspar Noe and tried to present the film as if it were one continuous shot.

It's arguably Hitchcock's worst film.

You mean this guy? In fairness to Dance Magic, there is hand-held camera work in Rope.

PotVsKtl
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't think Rope is particularly rated at all. It's almost exclusively known for its technical content. I don't have a strong opinion one way or another about its narrative and can't recall ever reading or hearing anything contra that.

EDIT: Other than the above easily dismissable nonsense.

Mau5 Boyz
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
wowz youz guyz arez creamz puffz sugarz bottomz whoz arez tooz sensitivez andz letz itz getz inz thez wayz ofz yourz filmz judgementz

Down Rodeo
02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Whether it's hand-held or not, Hitchcock did it fluidly and with a formalism that's inventive and downright exhilarating to watch.

mountmccabe
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
just a bit of show? srsly?
It's a piece of non-existant technology critical to the plot.

How is it critical to the plot? It is used during interactions at headquarters. It's not like a Scramble Suit is necessary for undercover cops. Those interactions still could've taken place anonymously, they just would've needed separate rooms and video with face-blurring. And, shit, Bob's boss knew who he was anyway. What about the plot needs the suits? They're an elegant shortcut.

mountmccabe
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I haven't seen and don't love that many Hitchcock films so take this as you will but Rope is my favorite.

Also I really need to see Enter the Void.

Also, obv Sokurov: Russian Ark was one continuous shot. With a huge cast. Hot damn I love that movie.

Also, obv terrible movie: wasn't Doom at least partially first-person? I mean, I guess the discussion here (a month ago) wasn't about first-person films as that isn't incredibly rare. I also need to see Doom but it does not rate a "hot damn."

DANCE MAGIC
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't think Rope is particularly rated at all. It's almost exclusively known for its technical content. I don't have a strong opinion one way or another about its narrative and can't recall ever reading or hearing anything contra that.

Not that I really want to get drawn back into this whole Rope thing, because honestly, I really don't give a shit, but...

Roger Ebert wrote in 1984, "Alfred Hitchcock called Rope an 'experiment that didn’t work out', and he was happy to see it kept out of release for most of three decades."

Also, Roger Ebert is a fucking retard, so, whatever.

PotVsKtl
02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Also, obv terrible movie: wasn't Doom at least partially first-person? I mean, I guess the discussion here (a month ago) wasn't about first-person films as that isn't incredibly rare. I also need to see Doom but it does not rate a "hot damn."

My cousin directed the first-person portion of Doom. I'll be signing autographs in the Empress lobby.

chairmenmeow47
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
god i'd almost forgotten how much a scanner darkly irritated me.

daxton
02-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Also I really need to see Enter the Void.

You, sir, are slackin'.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Anybody else here seen Breakfast On Pluto? I watched it the other night and was torn on it...During the first third or so I fell in love with Cillian Murphy's performance and the character, but wasn't particularly thrilled by the movie itself. i was offput by the overall style of it, the choppy narrative, and the weird talking birds, and the use of chapter breakups every 2 minutes. BUT by the end of the movie, i was enthralled and ultimately enjoyed, so i dunno. I guess i'd say it's just off balance but in the end well worth watching (which is kind of good way to describe most of Neil Jordan's career).

There are some great supporting roles in it, especially Liam Neeson and Stephen Rea, and I also really dug the use of Harry Nilsson music throughout the film.

chairmenmeow47
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
it was weird, but i enjoyed it because i love cillian murphy so much and it was off the wall. i dunno that i'd watch it again though.

MissingPerson
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM

It does, but it's very brief. House of the Dead has chunks of the actual arcade game for absolutely no fucking reason at all, but then again that is Uwe Boll so reason of any kind is sort of out the window.

Also, I really really liked A Scanner Darkly.

motionnn77
02-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Cillian Murphy is just too pretty. I enjoyed the film and loved seeing Liam Neesan go beyond his usual roles. A fun romp, but not a masterpiece.

zircona1
02-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Anybody else here seen Breakfast On Pluto? I watched it the other night and was torn on it...During the first third or so I fell in love with Cillian Murphy's performance and the character, but wasn't particularly thrilled by the movie itself. i was offput by the overall style of it, the choppy narrative, and the weird talking birds, and the use of chapter breakups every 2 minutes. BUT by the end of the movie, i was enthralled and ultimately enjoyed, so i dunno. I guess i'd say it's just off balance but in the end well worth watching (which is kind of good way to describe most of Neil Jordan's career).

There are some great supporting roles in it, especially Liam Neeson and Stephen Rea, and I also really dug the use of Harry Nilsson music throughout the film.

I liked Cillian Murphy's performance and the music in it, but I ultimately didn't love it.

SoulDischarge
02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I enjoy Rope immensely. Jimmy Stewart is usually a compelling presence on screen no matter what the circumstances, and that's no exception.

schoolofruckus
02-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Solyaris is coming to Criterion Blu-Ray in May!!!!!!

jackstraw94086
02-11-2011, 05:03 PM
How is it critical to the plot? It is used during interactions at headquarters. It's not like a Scramble Suit is necessary for undercover cops. Those interactions still could've taken place anonymously, they just would've needed separate rooms and video with face-blurring. HIDDEN. What about the plot needs the suits? They're an elegant shortcut.

That they were used hide their identities from each other was what made them important to the plot. That one of them actually knew who the other was when the other didn't know it was important to the story. It would have been a massive hassle to accomplish this another way, and it would have made for a shitty(ier) movie.

Down Rodeo
02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Solyaris is coming to Criterion Blu-Ray in May!!!!!!

Hell yes! But dammit, now I wasted money on my DVD version.

wmgaretjax
02-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Harmony Korine called this the greatest dance film of all time:

EbJPTkOTXuM

not only are sonic youth on board... melvins and keiji haino have each done soundtracks for him (melvins have done 3!).

3Y__YfJW40I

daxton
02-12-2011, 12:56 AM
What in the hell is going on up there???

GeezrRckr
02-12-2011, 01:29 AM
they opened with the first two minutes or so of that when they played the GAMH in January. i was wondering what it was.

boxofbox
02-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Harmony Korine called this the greatest dance film of all time

"seriously. it's better than the red shoes."

boxofbox
02-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Paul Thomas Anderson’s Scientology Movie and Inherent Vice Adaptation Close to Finding Financing (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/paul_thomas_anderson.html)

I had no idea PTA was doing Pynchon!!

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
yeah. i really hope in pans out. i'm sure it will. both his current projects sound great.

schoolofruckus
02-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I gotta meet this Megan Ellison person.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
So I'd like to watch something (preferably of substance) tonight while having a few drinks, that's available on Netflix Instant. I usually don't drink at all during movies, a lot of times it fogs the memory the next day when I try to remember what happened. So I guess what I'm looking for is something meaningful that's not too complex.

Any recommendations, folks?

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Have you seen Being John Malkovich? That'd be a good drinking movie.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I've seen that. I wish one of Korine's flicks was on Instant, I've never seen any of them (eh, Kids, but he only wrote that one, right?). Seems like his stuff would be perfect with a few Jack and Cokes.

buddy
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
how about some rock documentaries? (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45095)

or, not sure if you're a woody allen fan, but some of his best work is on instant hannah and her sisters (http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Hannah-and-Her-Sisters/60010420?trkid=1660#height1645) and crime and misdemeanors (http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Crimes-and-Misdemeanors/406734?trkid=1660#height2298). not sure if they make great drinking movies, but they have some depth and laughs, as well.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I am a Woody Allen fan, went through a little phase where I watched a bunch of his stuff like 8 years ago. Haven't seen either one of those, thanks.

But after the An Education derailing in the Arcade Fire thread, I think we have a winner.

MissingPerson
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Snicker.

DANCE MAGIC
02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I've seen that. I wish one of Korine's flicks was on Instant, I've never seen any of them (eh, Kids, but he only wrote that one, right?).

Mister Lonely is worth watching.

I am a Woody Allen fan

high five.

schoolofruckus
02-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Whoa - I never thought about it but An Education would make a good drinking movie, although it would be infinitely better with a group of hyennas like me. I wonder if that's how the press screenings were conducted.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
You and your hyenas are welcome to come over, as long as you clean up after them.

Alchemy
02-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I hadn't seen The Birds since I was small. I just watched it for what felt like the first time. Brilliant!

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 10:34 PM
So yeah, An Education. I didn't loathe it as much as some. Yeah, the ending was like the director was only given an 100-minute maximum length for the movie and shamelessly pushed fast-forward and then the credits rolled. Even the credits rolling seemed more rushed than usual, like when Road Trip ends at 2 in the morning on TBS and they fast-forward the credits while showing you a preview of what's coming up next.

But overall, it wasn't that bad. Sure, the message it sends isn't the greatest. But I don't think that was the point of it all.

Now, more drinks and on to Trash Humpers.

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
hahahaha. awesome. Trash Humpers is wonderful. what a brilliant double feature.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Fuck yeah. Trash Humpers has to be the most polarizing film I've heard of in recent memory, and I couldn't be more intrigued.

GeezrRckr
02-12-2011, 11:42 PM
i liked Trash Humpers slightly less than Dogtooth. there is zero redeeming in that piece of shit. absolutely nothing.

now, get off my fucking lawn, once and for all.

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 11:45 PM
well... there was at least something redeeming about it... it kept you from bitching about dogtooth for 80 minutes. haha.

GeezrRckr
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
haha.

oh no...just saw that they remade one of my most favorite comedies of all time, Arthur. they had to pour salt in the wound by casting that unfunny dipshit that's fucking Katy Perry's big boobies. this will most surely be horrible.

please be sure to see the original first. please.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Speaking of Trash Humpers... I was pretty shocked by the (almost across the 4th wall) monologue towards the end.... It was at severe odds with the rest of the film. While most of the film felt like exactly what I expected (pseudo-art house korine version of Jackass)... there were a few moments that genuinely surprised me. culminating in this bit:

"I guess you could call it one long, long game. And I expect we'll win it. I expect that all these people will be dead and buried long, long before I even catch my second wind. I feel like a young boy. I feel like a new man."

While it was undoubtedly inferior to his first two films... I can't help but be happier with this than Mister Lonely... That film felt so limp. I'd love to see Korine take on something really narrative and traditional... but he failed pretty miserably on that one. Maybe it came from the recent detox or the studio conflicts or whatever, but at least this one felt genuine in at least a few places. Sure, the counter-culture thing is a bit absurd in this day and age, but at least Korine seems aware of this and its place in his work... compared to... I dunno... Banksy. (ok, that's unfair. banksy does seem to realize this, he just is completely unable to integrate it into his work without recalling the tired art-cum-capitalism schtick... not that korine is without schtick...)

/ramble

TallGuyCM
02-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, the art house/Jackass mesh was the vibe I got the whole time. I was almost expecting to see Johnny Knoxville in the credits at the end, what with it all taking place in Nashville and what not.

I didn't really care for the film, but damn was it massively entertaining in my drunken state. I'll give it that.

paulb
02-13-2011, 02:19 AM
About to start Carne.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
haha.

oh no...just saw that they remade one of my most favorite comedies of all time, Arthur. they had to pour salt in the wound by casting that unfunny dipshit that's fucking Katy Perry's big boobies. this will most surely be horrible.

please be sure to see the original first. please.

Not first - only. Arthur is an awesome movie, and the remake looks abhorrent. I'm pretty sure I'd skip PTA's next film if Russell Brand were in it.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
no you wouldn't, shut up.

GeezrRckr
02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Not first - only. Arthur is an awesome movie, and the remake looks abhorrent. I'm pretty sure I'd skip PTA's next film if Russell Brand were in it.
it appears we have a first here. stop the presses.

(haha)

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 01:38 PM
no you wouldn't, shut up.

Suppose he casts Jamie Foxx someday...are we still having this discussion?

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Attention Los Angeles (namely TallChris):

Cassavetes program at the Cinefamily (Silent Theatre) throughout March (http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/friday_early.html#shadows)

SoulDischarge
02-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Suppose he casts Adam Sandler one day?

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Suppose he casts Jamie Foxx someday...are we still having this discussion?

until there is some concrete evidence that PTA is in decline (at least two really shitty films), neither you or I are going to refrain from watching one of his films.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah...it would probably take more than that, even.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 02:17 PM
yeah, haha... probably.

TallGuyCM
02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Attention Los Angeles (namely TallChris):

Cassavetes program at the Cinefamily (Silent Theatre) throughout March (http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/friday_early.html#shadows)

Oh my goodness...there's a ton of stuff on there! I'm gonna need some help navigating the whole thing, picking and choosing which nights I should go.

If I'm gonna go all the way up there, I'm inclined to want to go to the nights that feature two films. So the 11th, 18th, and 19th look like winners at first glance.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm going on the 11th for sure, having not seen Too Late Blues before. I probably will also hit Chinese Bookie, especially if Gazzara is actually in attendance. You absolutely need to go for A Woman Under the Influence and Love Streams.

TallGuyCM
02-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, AWUTI is the one I'd pick if I could only do one. Thanks! March just went from looking kind of bleak to not at all.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes, AWUTI is the one I'd pick if I could only do one.

Definitely!

KungFuJoe
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/02/efm-2011-first-promo-for-von-triers-melancholia-is-gorgeous.php

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Just saw The Crying Game for the first time...thought it was pretty brilliant.

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 12:36 AM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/02/efm-2011-first-promo-for-von-triers-melancholia-is-gorgeous.php

I'm thrilled that it was picked up for US release already. Seemed like it would certainly get released after Antichrist was probably seen by more people here than all of his previous work combined, but you never know.

daxton
02-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Could you guys give me some Woody Allen suggestions? I've never really seen a lot of his films and have been meaning to catch up for a while now. I saw there are a few on instant, but what are your favorites?

clumsy342
02-14-2011, 01:05 AM
thats funny, i just watched Hannah and Her Sisters tonight.. but I've got to say it was definitely not my favorite of his.

But my favorites are of course Annie Hall, What's Up Tiger Lily?, Bananas, Sleeper, Stardust Memories, Everything You Wanted to Know..

guedita
02-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Husbands and Wives and Mighty Aphrodite are two of my favorite Woody Allen movies. I don't know why.

daxton
02-14-2011, 01:14 AM
I have seen exactly none of those, so, thanks.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Deconstructing Harry is one of my favorites.

GeezrRckr
02-14-2011, 09:07 AM
^yes!

bobert
02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Sweet and Lowdown!! One of Sean Penn's greatest roles, easily one of my favorite Allen films.

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
WOW

http://criterion-production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/3259/164_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Adding to the growing list of Woody Allen movies already posted here, I adore Bullets Over Broadway.

I counted this morning and I've seen 25 Allen films...and still have quite a ways to go. The man is prolific.

Still-ill
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
WOW

http://criterion-production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/3259/164_BD_box_348x490.jpg

BOOM.

higgybaby23
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Adding to the growing list of Woody Allen movies already posted here, I adore Bullets Over Broadway.

Don't speak!

I recommend Radio Days, avoid Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Unrelated movie topic: I saw The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest last night. It was my least favorite of the trilogy, but still entertaining. Too much exposition, not enough clever plot twists. The other two movies kept me guessing, while this one didn't surprise me at all.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Aw yeah, Radio Days is so great!

daxton
02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I knew there were a lot, but WOW. Thanks again guys. I think that'll hold me for the next year.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
No one has mentioned Crimes and Misdemeanors!??! fuck! add that one to the list for sure!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2011, 11:59 AM
No one has mentioned Crimes and Misdemeanors!??! fuck! add that one to the list for sure!

Oh, I thought that had been added. I would say that Crimes and Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters could arguably be his best films, almost equals

Down Rodeo
02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
With Woody Allen, it's all about Manhattan. Crimes & Misdemeanors is an excellent choice too.

DANCE MAGIC
02-14-2011, 12:47 PM
You guys are crazy. Manhattan and Crimes and Misdemeanors are both excellent films... but it's all about Annie Hall. Sorry if that's the cliche choice, but that's pretty much just how it is.

DANCE MAGIC
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Bananas is also great, and so is Small Time Crooks. No one has mentioned that one, but it's great.

jackstraw94086
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Sleeper ftw.

GeezrRckr
02-14-2011, 01:28 PM
right! orgasmatron ftw.

http://davidszondy.com/future/Dystopias/orgasmatron.jpg

BlackSwan
02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I watched Social Network this weekend... It would pretty good, but I'm surprised it is a contender for best picture of the year. I thought I would like it more since David Fincher is one of my favorite directors, but it was pretty much what I expected it was going to be. Awesome soundtrack.

I also watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and holy shit, THAT was an awesome movie. Seriously one of the better movies I have seen in while... Highly recommended.

roberto73
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
With Woody Allen, it's all about Manhattan. Crimes & Misdemeanors is an excellent choice too.

Manhattan is my favorite movie, not just of Woody Allen, but of ever. The photography, the score, the moral ambiguity of it all. Terrific stuff. I think it has the most emotional truth of any of his movies, with maybe the exception of Husbands & Wives.

Yesterday I watched Cemetery Junction. It's a pleasant little coming of age flick written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. I'm not aware that it ever got a theatrical release in this country, but it's worth a look, especially if you're a Gervais/Merchant fan. Set in 1973, it doesn't break the ground that The Office and Extras did – in fact, as movie plots go, it's pretty clichéd, mining the old "local boy wants to break free of the hometown chains that bind him" furrow – but it's got the sly, subversive wit that you expect from Gervais and Merchant, a vibrant soundtrack, and three pretty good young nobodies in the main roles. And Ralph Fiennes, who has never been bad in anything, ever.

daxton
02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh, guys, I am so excited to watch Vertigo tonight. It's been on my list for such a long time.

amyzzz
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm excited for you. Love that movie.

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 05:36 PM
M'eh. It's good and definitely worth watching....but I think it's a mistake to expect your world to be ripped open.

yeahfontaine
02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
M'eh. It's good and definitely worth watching....but I think it's a mistake to expect your world to be ripped open.

You think? The use of color alone is so intriguing. And the twisted psychological shit is fascinating.

I'm teaching it next week after a quick foray down Sunset Blvd. I love to watch kids react when Max turns out to be Norma's ex-husband. So great to watch them get all wrapped up in the film and freak out at that moment. They always yell so I have to warn the math teacher next door ahead of time. Ha. It's fun.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
oh, that reminds me! my wife has never seen Sunset Blvd. Gonna watch it tonight.

Ardentbiscuit
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Has anyone seen or heard any positive or negative buzz about the movie "Young Adult"?

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
You think? The use of color alone is so intriguing. And the twisted psychological shit is fascinating.

There's a great deal of intriguing material in Vertigo, but some of the writing is beyond awful. That first scene with Scottie and Midge is painful with on-the-nose exposition. But it definitely improves as it proceeds, and the ending is terrific.

daxton
02-14-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm not expecting that. I'm just excited. And I have ice cream. Don't tell the people in the Fitchella thread.

buddy
02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh, I thought that had been added. I would say that Crimes and Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters could arguably be his best films, almost equals

these are the two i recommended to tallchris a page or two back. they're both on netflix instant.

edit: hannah is probably my favorite, but i do love sweet & lowdown, for sean penn's performance.

ivankay
02-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Darren Aronofsky's Wild Ride (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb/tb110214darren_aronofskys_wi). Talking about the struggles financing his films, The Fountain (for you Gabe) and the upcoming X-Men movie.

daxton
02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
....OK. I don't like Vertigo very much. But the ice cream was delicious. I wish the lead actors were different. That would have made a big difference for me.

bmack86
02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Just watched Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec, Luc Besson's adventure film from last year. I'm not sure if it was intended for a young audience (especially with the death and nudity and pretty adult themes at times) but it was made like a very entertaining children's film. There was some decent base humor, as well as a more emotional undercurrent that builds throughout. It wasn't great, but it was quite a bit of fun, and I wasn't bored at all.

clumsy342
02-14-2011, 09:20 PM
....OK. I don't like Vertigo very much. But the ice cream was delicious. I wish the lead actors were different. That would have made a big difference for me.

???

You do mean Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, right?

paulb
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
So, just watched Carne and I Stand Alone....both really excellent! Loved the editing and character of The Butcher so much, any other similar film recommendation?

daxton
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
???

You do mean Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, right?

Yes. I expected to really like it, but it kinda bored me. It's not that I don't like older movies. I just thought it would be as good as Notorious. I don't like Jimmy Stewart. Carey Grant or Bogart would have been nice. And Kim Novak is no Ingrid.

TallGuyCM
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
So, just watched Carne and I Stand Alone....both really excellent! Loved the editing and character of The Butcher so much, any other similar film recommendation?

Hahaha, good luck with that one. I'd crack up if someone chimed in with a "if you liked I Stand Alone, then you'll love _______"

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
If you liked I Stand Alone, then you'll love Man Bites Dog and Angst.

TallGuyCM
02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
LOL. Right on cue.

SoulDischarge
02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Small Time Crooks is not a very good movie at all. Although I do love the joke about the wife trying to be more sophisticated so she starts learning the dictionary starting with A.

SoulDischarge
02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
If you liked I Stand Alone, then you'll love Man Bites Dog and Angst.

I love Man Bites Dog but haven't heard of the other too. I assume this works the other way around.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
definitely works the other way around. Noe has cited Angst as a huge influence on his work... particularly I Stand Alone.

paulb
02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Im downloading Angst now....

buddy
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Small Time Crooks is not a very good movie at all. Although I do love the joke about the wife trying to be more sophisticated so she starts learning the dictionary starting with A.

i actually like this movie. i think it has its moments (the relationship between woody allen and tracey ullman's character, the may character, some funny one-liners) but you're right it's far from great.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Just watched Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec, Luc Besson's adventure film from last year. I'm not sure if it was intended for a young audience (especially with the death and nudity and pretty adult themes at times) but it was made like a very entertaining children's film. There was some decent base humor, as well as a more emotional undercurrent that builds throughout. It wasn't great, but it was quite a bit of fun, and I wasn't bored at all.

OH I was watching The Transporter on Sunday afternoon and was thinking to myself, "Oh, I wonder when Luc besson's movie base don that French comic book is going to come out?"

How did you watch it?

EDIT: Also, i was thinking amazing it is that when Besson directs, he creates such distinct wolrds and situations very much unlike other action films, but he seems to love writing and producing extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies. The amount of movies that guys has been involved with outside of his own directing is staggering.

wmgaretjax
02-15-2011, 09:36 AM
hulu plus just added 150 criterion films... they are expecting to have 800 of their "library" added to hulu "soon."

zircona1
02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Speaking of Criterion, SO psyched that Diabolique is coming out in a new edition in May. I love that film and have held off on buying it until it gets restored with some supplements like they did with The Wages of Fear.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I want a Spider Man movie based on the Torment arc. Thank you.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I want a Spider Man movie based on the Torment arc. Thank you.

If they could do do the lizard right, this would be awesome. i've also always t6hought a Batman movie similarly featuring him hunting down Killer Croc through the sewers would make an awesome movie as well

PotVsKtl
02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Bipedal anthropomorphized reptiles are not menacing.

mountmccabe
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
EDIT: Also, i was thinking amazing it is that when Besson directs, he creates such distinct wolrds and situations very much unlike other action films, but he seems to love writing and producing extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies.

I agree completely. I am not sure if it is that only he knows how to direct his scripts right or if he directs his best scripts and passes off the more trashy ones.

I still need to watch The Big Blue, available on Netflix Instant. That is the only of his 7 films (that he directed) that I haven't seen. I haven seen any of the four since then, though I want to see Angel-A and the one Bryan just saw.

paulb
02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Watched Angst last night, VERY clear that Noe was inspired by it, the narration of the character and not much dialogue....did not like it as much as I Stand Alone.

Are any other of Noe's shorts great like Carne?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 12:55 AM
I agree completely. I am not sure if it is that only he knows how to direct his scripts right or if he directs his best scripts and passes off the more trashy ones.

I still need to watch The Big Blue, available on Netflix Instant. That is the only of his 7 films (that he directed) that I haven't seen. I haven seen any of the four since then, though I want to see Angel-A and the one Bryan just saw.

I absolutely fucking LOVE The Big Blue. It's one of the most beatifully shot moves I've ever seen, and it's incredibly bizarre in its character motivations. it's probably got my favorite Eric Serra score as well (with Leon being a close second). It also contains the most enduring and watchable role by Rosanna Arquette ever, I think.

I haven't seen or had a desire to see any of the Arthur movies, but I would highly recommend Angel-A.

I just rewatched Beat Takeshi's Brother for the first time since its theatrical release in 2000 and enjoyed it very, very much. I think Zack brought up Yakuza movies a little while ago, and I would definitely recommend this as an unconventional one
http://www.aullidos.com/imagenes/caratulas/brother-.jpg

I really need to check out some of his other movies now (I just put The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi at the top of my queue). Unfortunately, at least half of his movies aren't on Netflix

KungFuJoe
02-16-2011, 01:33 AM
I second the Le Grand Bleu love. One of my all time favorite films. I'd encourage finding the directors cut as well. Simply a beautiful, fun & touching film.

I'm a huge Besson fan, even the "extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies" he writes/produces. You have to hand it to the man. He knows how to make a buck and produce an entertaining flick. The first Transporter, Taken, Wasabi, & District B13 all good times in my book. I even enjoyed Taxi 1 & 2, but still need to see 3 & 4. I liked Angel-A a great deal and even found the first Arthur movie to be fun for a kids flick. I just downloaded The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, so I look forward to watching that one soon.

Takeshi's Brother is great. I too had suggested that when Yakuza movies was brought up. Which reminds me I need to get his new film Outrage on dvd. Anyone see that yet?

Also, more people need to see this ...
http://www.moviegoods.com//Assets/product_images/1020/449098.1020.A.jpg

Grandma
02-16-2011, 07:14 AM
I only got to watch the first hour and a half of Vengeance Is Mine before huluplus decided to cock block me with a registration fee...

bmack86
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
How was it? I haven't watched that yet, and I own it.

Andrew, my roommate got a digital copy of it that we watched. If I can find where he stored it, I can get it to you. It's damn good quality and, despite some typos, the subtitles seemed to be very accurate translations.

daxton
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Hannah and Her Sisters was completely fantastic. Can't wait to get my hands on some more Woody Allen films.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm a huge Besson fan, even the "extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies" he writes/produces. You have to hand it to the man. He knows how to make a buck and produce an entertaining flick. The first Transporter, Taken, Wasabi, & District B13 all good times in my book. I even enjoyed Taxi 1 & 2, but still need to see 3 & 4. I liked Angel-A a great deal and even found the first Arthur movie to be fun for a kids flick. I just downloaded The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, so I look forward to watching that one soon.

Yeah, I really do enjoy a lot of his written flicks too, because they're a lot of fun. I still need to check out the Taxi movies. Wasabi was great, and District B-13 was mind-numbingly fun ( i have heard the sequel was terrible though). Although ridiculous, i do also enjoy the Crimson Rivers movies, especially the first, and LOVE Danny The Dog. I need to see Taken still, and have heard that Banididas is fun.

I have the two Transporter sequels coming from Netflix today, and i look forward to shutting the brain off and going on that ride tonight.

Andrew, my roommate got a digital copy of it that we watched. If I can find where he stored it, I can get it to you. It's damn good quality and, despite some typos, the subtitles seemed to be very accurate translations.

Right on! i suppose i can try to download it too...I hope there's a decent US DVD/blu ray release eventually.

This Besson discussion reminds me I need to see Subway finally as well, which available on Instant now.

Alchemy
02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I just watched Psycho for the first time...

And it scared the shit out of me.

PotVsKtl
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I still need to watch The Big Blue, available on Netflix Instant.

It's a trodge. Really disappointing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm...not really sure what to say about this. it seriously looks like one of those parody trailers. I'm seriously fucking confused about the fact that this is actually coming out as a real movie.
6W07bFa4TzM

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Looks real to me. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to make a movie based on that book. God I'm so disgusted.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Looks real to me. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to make a movie based on that book. God I'm so disgusted.

Well, I mean, it's obviously real. I mean that it looks ridiculous enough that it could be one of those parody trailers.

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Ok. Well, it doesn't look ridiculous to me. It just looks like garbage.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Setting it in the present, those crazy cuts, huge action movie music, making it seem like some thriller ABOUT the railroad industry, and of course, "THEY ARE NOT GETTING MY METAL!"

...a bit ridiculous hahaha

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
OK OK. A bit ridiculous. It looks like they've just made a base, superficial hollywood version of a very deep and philosophical book. And, there's the action...

Who is John Galt?

wmgaretjax
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
one of the worst written, idiotically overrated books of all time... trumped by an even shittier movie.

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Overrated it may be, but it's a good book.

wmgaretjax
02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
no it's not. it's poorly written, bloated, logically inconsistent and philosophically superficial.

wmgaretjax
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
that trailer actually does a good job of capturing how juvenile and absurd the book is.

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Do you not like her as a writer at all or is it just this book?

wmgaretjax
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
well. i don't like her as a writer generally... but i think atlas shrugged is much worse than the fountainhead.

Alchemy
02-16-2011, 09:36 PM
I've never read her stuff, but I'm in a writing program and I hear a lot of people say what Jared is saying. And these are people that like a wide variety of things, including genre and popular books. I'm always hearing that Ayn Rand sucks, so I've stayed away from her because of it. Also, because the books look really big.

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:38 PM
well. i don't like her as a writer generally... but i think atlas shrugged is much worse than the fountainhead.

I thought the opposite. I certainly don't subscribe to her philosophy, although I find it an interesting thing to think about. I just like her writing style. Either way, the movie looks god awful and I definitely don't think it will portray the book well.

wmgaretjax
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
i'm typically not a fan of art (music, books, films, installations, whatever you think fits in that category) that are used as a platform for philosophical monologue... there are exceptions if they are done really, really fucking well. the problem with Rand is... it's not done well... and to boot, the philosophy is really fucking bad.

edit: and i think the reason why the fountainhead is more tolerable in my mind is that it's a less self-important work in general... a lot changed in regards to her ego in that decade and a half or whatever.

tricorne
02-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Hearing often that Ayn Rand sucks doesn't put me off her nearly as much as a sour history of interactions with people who vehemently maintain the opposite.

tricorne
02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Ayn Rand is awesome lol we're machines lolollllololololllloltrolllolololorble hrldrltrlhrhrhlrhl.

blackchango
02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Heard this for the first time today and now want to watch the whole flick. It's from The Night Hunter with Robert Mitchum.

3odbz1fvxp8

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
i'm typically not a fan of art (music, books, films, installations, whatever you think fits in that category) that are used as a platform for philosophical monologue... there are exceptions if they are done really, really fucking well. the problem with Rand is... it's not done well... and to boot, the philosophy is really fucking bad.

edit: and i think the reason why the fountainhead is more tolerable in my mind is that it's a less self-important work in general... a lot changed in regards to her ego in that decade and a half or whatever.

I would say I'm not typically either. I read the book as a suggestion from a boyfriend a long time ago who claimed to be an egoist. I promptly broke up with him after finishing the book.

And, I can definitely see your point with The Fountainhead. Clearly less self-important. It just didn't draw me in as much.

PotVsKtl
02-16-2011, 09:47 PM
#1: The entire Objectivist debate has become pointless and cartoonish. Ayn Rand was not a monster, but she was seriously confused about life. A lot of great authors were. If anybody wants to pretend The Fountainhead isn't a remarkable bit of storytelling, wallow in offal.
#2: That trailer looks like a solid basis for justifiable homicide.

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh right. I meant Objectivist. Same thing really.

Alchemy
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I think I heard once that Ayn Rand is a writer for Republicans. Why would somebody say this?

PotVsKtl
02-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Is that a joke? Are you joshing?

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
You didn't hear that.

Alchemy
02-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Hmm... Maybe I heard she's not a writer for Republicans. I don't know. Never mind. Back onto movies. Shit. Psycho was really great.

daxton
02-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Hmm... Maybe I heard she's not a writer for Republicans. I don't know. Never mind. Back onto movies. Shit. Psycho was really great.

Uhhhhh Wikipedia says you're correct.

During the 1940s, Rand became involved in political activism. Both she and her husband worked full time in volunteer positions for the 1940 Presidential campaign of Republican Wendell Willkie.

I guess it's not that far of a stretch. She is a super capitalist. Ok. Enough about Ayn Rand. Sorry!

rage patton
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Haha. Wow. That Atlas Shrugged trailer is horrible. Part 1? Jesus Christ. My fiancee is going to shit a chicken when I show this to her. I have never read Ayn Rand, but she loves to tell me about Ayn Rad. She thinks Rand's philosophy is batshit crazy and that objectivism is bullshit, but she loves her storytelling and, at the very least, objectivism is an interesting concept.

daxton
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Your fiancee is right.

bmack86
02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
#1: The entire Objectivist debate has become pointless and cartoonish. Ayn Rand was not a monster, but she was seriously confused about life. A lot of great authors were. If anybody wants to pretend The Fountainhead isn't a remarkable bit of storytelling, wallow in offal.
#2: That trailer looks like a solid basis for justifiable homicide.

I'll admit I read them in high school when I was much more impressionable, but I thought the total arc of Atlas Shrugged worked better than The Fountainhead, although I much preferred the emotionless appeal at the end of The Fountainhead. Whatever that says for me. Anthem was still the Ayn Rand I enjoyed the most

daxton
02-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I have Anthem and haven't read it yet. I think I read a page or two and got bored. Why did you like it so much?

bmack86
02-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Again, that's just of the three Ayn Rand I've read. I like dystopian future novels, and that one has at least a few ideas that were somewhat novel (although We by Yevgeny Zamyatin hits most of the bigger points Ayn Rand brings up, only earlier and more artistically) and I liked the way the novella held to a weird, different linguistic style. I also haven't read it in 10 years.

PotVsKtl
02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll admit I read them in high school when I was much more impressionable, but I thought the total arc of Atlas Shrugged worked better than The Fountainhead, although I much preferred the emotionless appeal at the end of The Fountainhead. Whatever that says for me. Anthem was still the Ayn Rand I enjoyed the most

The problem with Atlas Shrugged is that Rand's egotism didn't only inform the plot, it overwhelmed the writing. The Galt speech isn't just arrogant for a fiction author, it's a fucking narrative crime. You can't make that film without taking a live, breathing shit on the lens.

PotVsKtl
02-16-2011, 11:23 PM
I can't wait to see the finale of Pt. II. LOL we've got an island.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I watched Transporter's 2 & 3 tonight. Goddamn what a fucking ride! I never expected these movies to be so entertaining! The third is surprisingly my favorite out of the whole bunch. That and Danny The Dog feel the most Besson-like to me of the movies he's written but not directed.

And fuck, Jason Statham is such a great action star.

And I fell in love with Natalya Rudakova just a little bit
http://memetrics.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/transporter3_natalya_rudakova2.jpg

schoolofruckus
02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
I can't wait to see the finale of Pt. II. LOL we've got an island.

Pretty sure the Atlas Shrugged film is designed as a 4-parter.

I agree with everything you said about The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand is NOT a hero to me by any stretch of the imagination, and even when I was most fond of the book I wouldn't have desribed myself as an Objectivist. But it's still one of my favorite works of fiction ever crafted. I have big plans for a film version, only I would want to focus on the things that I got out of it as opposed to what it seems many other people (including Rand) did. In other words, it might get me killed.

GnarVee
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Jason Statham stood next to me during Air in 2007.

rage patton
02-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Pretty sure the Atlas Shrugged film is designed as a 4-parter.

You have got to be kidding me. What if the first part bombs?

KungFuJoe
02-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Do I really want to sit through this 3 hour movie or is this enough?

yysbbPStfWw

daxton
02-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I have big plans for a film version, only I would want to focus on the things that I got out of it as opposed to what it seems many other people (including Rand) did. In other words, it might get me killed.

This sounds pretty cool.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Do I really want to sit through this 3 hour movie or is this enough?

yysbbPStfWw

I was thinking the same thing the first time I saw that and did some research...I think i'll still try to watch it, because that 10 minutes is the coolest fucking 10 minutes ever. There will be a lot of singing and dancing in that 3 hours though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-17-2011, 06:02 PM
12 hours of audio of Francois Truffaut interviewing Alfred Hitchcock have surfaced...should be pretty damn interesting should one have the time
http://www.slashfilm.com/listen-12-hours-franois-truffaut-interviewing-alfred-hitchcock

KungFuJoe
02-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Finally watched A Serbian Film...

Holy. freaking. hell. Good film, but I have no desire to ever watch that again. It's right up there with Martyrs.

roberto73
02-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Cracked.com ran a contest for readers to summarize movie plots using Venn diagrams. Some of the results are pretty funny.

The full list is here (runners-up on the first page; winners on the second):

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_169_movie-plots-summed-up-in-venn-diagrams/

I kinda liked these:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/rmonty73/Screenshot2011-02-18at75438AM.png

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/rmonty73/Screenshot2011-02-18at75547AM.png

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/rmonty73/Screenshot2011-02-18at75816AM.png

MissingPerson
02-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Holy shit, the Seven one cracked me up.

daxton
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Roger Ebert's list of "the best art films of 2010" here (http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/02/the_best_art_films_of_2010.html). I've been wanting to see a lot of these for a while. Whether you care for the guy or not, still a nice way to learn about some recent little known films.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Roger Ebert not only can't precisely define art films, but apparently has no idea whatsoever about what they are.

Regardless, there are a lot of films on that list that I still want to see.

daxton
02-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Roger Ebert not only can't precisely define art films, but apparently has no idea whatsoever about what they are.

Regardless, there are a lot of films on that list that I still want to see.

Exactly.

schoolofruckus
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Speaking of best of 2010 lists - I just realized I never posted one. In fact, I don't think any of us did. I like that the year-end list thing wasn't a big focus for us, but at this point...posting lists can only help nudge people to go see the films that were great last year, and avoid the crap that they may otherwise have gone for. And I'm all for both.

1. Blue Valentine
2. Enter the Void
3. Valhalla Rising
4. Lovers of Hate
5. The Illusionist
6. Somewhere
7. The Temptation of St. Tony
8. Dogtooth
9. The Killer Inside Me
10. Greenberg

Also, looking at the films I saw last year....I'm going to have to stick to my post-screening declaration that Black Swan was the worst film I saw in 2010.

schoolofruckus
02-18-2011, 02:20 PM
There's also a ton of leftover 2010 stuff I haven't seen yet: Cyrus, Four Lions, Mother, Monsters, Carlos, Howl, Jackass 3D, White Material, The Way Back, Another Year, Never Let Me Go, Exit Through the Gift Shop and Micmacs, to name a few.

zircona1
02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
The local theater in town got Four Lions, so I might go see that this weekend.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I keep forgetting that i wanted to see Greenberg. I'm surprised [I]Winter's Bone[/I} didn't make it to your list as I recall you speaking very fondly of it. I think that's still my #1.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh shit, Dogtooth is available on Netflix Instant, i did not know that

schoolofruckus
02-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I keep forgetting that i wanted to see Greenberg. I'm surprised [I]Winter's Bone[/I} didn't make it to your list as I recall you speaking very fondly of it. I think that's still my #1.

I strongly liked a few films that didn't make it onto the list - Winter's Bone, Daddy Longlegs, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Life During Wartime and Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World were all excellent in my book. It's kind of surprising to say that now, since I generally felt like last year was one of the crappiest movie years in recent memory. I guess it was more a year full of disappointments than one where everything sucked.

roberto73
02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Also, looking at the films I saw last year....I'm going to have to stick to my post-screening declaration that Black Swan was the worst film I saw in 2010.

I sort of feel like you should provide a complete list of the movies you saw in 2010 order to determine the degree of ridiculousness we should attach to that statement. In a year that gave us The Tooth Fairy, Valentine's Day, and Marmaduke, this degree of hatred for Black Swan seems, well, disproportionate.

If, for instance, you only saw the 17 movies you mention in your last few posts, I can buy into your assessment. But if we learn you also saw Jonah Hex, I don't think I can take you seriously.

humanoid
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Any "best-of" list that doesn't begin with Marmaduke is irrelevant

jackstraw94086
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
5. The Illusionist

for a brief moment I thought you were referring to the Ed Norton/Jessica Biel abortion and was wishing you a hulk smash in your hairy gash.

daxton
02-18-2011, 03:59 PM
There's also a ton of leftover 2010 stuff I haven't seen yet: Cyrus, Four Lions, Mother, Monsters, Carlos, Howl, Jackass 3D, White Material, The Way Back, Another Year, Never Let Me Go, Exit Through the Gift Shop and Micmacs, to name a few.

I thought Micmacs was pretty great. I haven't seen most of these either, though.

schoolofruckus
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I sort of feel like you should provide a complete list of the movies you saw in 2010 order to determine the degree of ridiculousness we should attach to that statement. In a year that gave us The Tooth Fairy, Valentine's Day, and Marmaduke, this degree of hatred for Black Swan seems, well, disproportionate.

If, for instance, you only saw the 17 movies you mention in your last few posts, I can buy into your assessment. But if we learn you also saw Jonah Hex, I don't think I can take you seriously.

I went surprisingly light on dogshit this year. Actually - I just saw fewer new movies period.

Shutter Island
Hubble 3D
Lovers of Hate
Greenberg
The Exploding Girl
The Good, The Bad, The Weird
Everyone Else
Daddy Longlegs
Dogtooth
Toy Story 3
Winter's Bone
The Killer Inside Me
Inception
Valhalla Rising
Life During Wartime
The Other Guys
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
The American
Catfish
Enter the Void
The Social Network
The Temptation of St. Tony
Paranormal Activity 2 (yes - MILES better than Black Swan)
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Rabbit Hole
Somewhere
True Grit
The Illusionist
Biutiful
Blue Valentine
Cave of Forgotten Dreams

daxton
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Those of you who have seen both Amores Perros and Biutiful, how do they compare? I'm almost finished with Amores Perros and have yet to see the latter. I really really like it. I should really be watching more Spanish language films to brush up on my skills.

schoolofruckus
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Amores Perros is great, Biutiful sucks.

bmack86
02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I just watched Valhalla Rising after this thread reminded me about it. Holy wow. I'm a fan of the Kenneth Anger Rising films, so it was really fun to see the references to those films scattered throughout. It's extraordinarily beautiful and brutal in equal parts, and I loved how well it moved along. Thanks guys.

wmgaretjax
02-18-2011, 05:01 PM
my list would be similar to gabe's... except I haven't seen blue valentine or somewhere, jackass 3D (near the top) and black swan (near the bottom) would be on my list, and dogtooth would probably be in the no 1 slot.

roberto73
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
I went surprisingly light on dogshit this year. Actually - I just saw fewer new movies period.

List

That actually helps quite a bit. The only one of those that I have a hard time figuring out (re: being better than Black Swan) is The Other Guys. But everything else actually seems pretty reasonable.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
The Other Guys was way better than Black Swan, come on now. That movie was fucking hilarious.

KungFuJoe
02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Are you guys fucking serious? The Other Guys was terrible!!! It tried SO hard to be funny and failed 95% of the time. In no way, shape or form is it better than Black Swan.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Eh, I loved it.

Anyway, i think I'm gonna watch Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman tonight, that looks pretty damn entertaining

PotVsKtl
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
The CGI blood is fairly distracting but it's not a bad remake.

PotVsKtl
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
So make sure not to watch for the CGI blood.

KungFuJoe
02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Eh, I loved it.

Anyway, i think I'm gonna watch Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman tonight, that looks pretty damn entertaining

Were you high when you watched it? Just curious ... it's fine that you liked it, trust me I like my fair share of bad flicks, but I really found The Other Guys to be more of a bore than a comedy.

Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi I love, but yes, please mind the CGI blood.

Speaking of Kitano, have you seen Takeshis' or Achilles & the Tortoise. I'm a big fan of those as well. I'm assuming you've already gotten through Hana-Bi, Sonatine & Violent Cop?

TallGuyCM
02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Are you guys fucking serious? The Other Guys was terrible!!! It tried SO hard to be funny and failed 95% of the time. In no way, shape or form is it better than Black Swan.

This.

The tuna scene at the beginning, the pimp scene, and the gator scene were all decently funny. The rest was rubbish.

PotVsKtl
02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I've seen about 25 minutes of 127 Hours now and I'm willing to wager this is the worst film made in 2010.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi I love, but yes, please mind the CGI blood.

Speaking of Kitano, have you seen Takeshis' or Achilles & the Tortoise. I'm a big fan of those as well. I'm assuming you've already gotten through Hana-Bi, Sonatine & Violent Cop?

No, I'm extremely new to him...I saw Brother 10 years ago and then never pursued more Kitano for some reason. Rewatched that a couple nights ago, decided to go for Zatoichi because I really wanted to see it when it came out. Put a bunch of his stuff in my queue, but at least half of his catalog is unavailable on Netflix right now.

Anyway, Zatoichi was great. The animated effects were bad, but everything else was done so well that I ddin't mind. i want to check out some of the other Zatoichi films that have been made now, it's an awesome character.

paulb
02-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Finally watched A Serbian Film...

Holy. freaking. hell. Good film, but I have no desire to ever watch that again. It's right up there with Martyrs.

Seriously....how does a film like this get funding? This was FUCKED UP! To the extreme....

daxton
02-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Seriously....how does a film like this get funding? This was FUCKED UP! To the extreme....

Credit cards, savings accounts, kickstarter, moms & dads...I wonder what their budget was. Probably not a ton.

PotVsKtl
02-19-2011, 09:30 AM
i want to check out some of the other Zatoichi films that have been made now.

http://shittymovienight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/BlindFury.jpg

paulb
02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Credit cards, savings accounts, kickstarter, moms & dads...I wonder what their budget was. Probably not a ton.

I dont even know where you could find a cast to get the shit they did... I guess its just a movie, but comon....

Grandma
02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
WYn3TUmpKO8

daxton
02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
I finished Amores Perros last night. It was just about perfect. Completely wonderful. I only have 2 complaints. The dog fighting and dead dogs was a lot for me to handle. It was pretty gut wrenching. And, the English title of the film is not translated correctly. A small and inconsequential detail, I know. But I notice things like that.

And I finally watched True Grit tonight. It was so good! I thought, even though it received so much praise here and critically, I would find it too slow and boring. Not at all. There was plenty enough dialogue, amazing scenery, and Jeff Bridges to keep me interested. I enjoyed Matt Damon too. He can be hit or miss for me. And I found myself admiring Maddy. The cinematography was great. Just all around good job by everyone. I thought it would be more similar to No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood (not Coen bros, I know). I'm so glad it was much lighter and not as slow, in my opinion.

paulb
02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Amores Perros...one of my top 10 fav films ever.....just flawless indeed.

TallGuyCM
02-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Decided to summon my violent inner-Asian tonight and do a double feature of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and Audition.

Lady was ok, mostly bland and lifeless compared to the first two (especially Oldboy), but entertaining enough.

I've never seen any of Miike's films, and have heard that Audition is one of his only adequate ones, so onto that next.

daxton
02-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Audition is so fucked up. Enjoy!

wmgaretjax
02-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Miike's best next to Audition is his Three Extremes segment.

KungFuJoe
02-20-2011, 12:40 AM
I hear Miike's latest 13 Assassins is arguably his best yet. I've been anxiously awaiting to find that somewhere. Missed the only screening they had for it in L.A. at AFI fest. Any of you catch it? His films are definitely hit and miss, but that's to be expected with the amount of films he churns out. Perhaps more misses than hits, though I quite enjoy IZO, The Great Yokai War and Ichi The Killer. Visitor Q is pretty great as well. Crows Zero wasn't too bad. I wasn't a big fan of Sukiyaki Western Django. I remember kind of liking Rainy Dog (should probably watch that again) & only really enjoying the last few minutes of Dead or Alive. Either way, his films are usually worth watching at least once.

Still a great amount I need to catch up on. I hear Yatterman is a blast and Like a Dragon is supposed to be good.

BKsaysAction!
02-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Ichi the Killer is one of my favs of his but definitely not for the average viewer.

TallGuyCM
02-20-2011, 03:51 AM
NMH saw 13 Assassins at AFI Fest and really liked it.

Audition was a trip, although if that's his supposed masterpiece then that doesn't get me too awful excited to check out the rest of his work.

wmgaretjax
02-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Serious? I had the opposite response. Audition blew me out of the water and remains one of my favorite films of all time. The vast majority of his filmography is extraordinarily disappointing in light of that film.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Gah, i still need to see Audition. I have seen a good handful of Miike's films and found them to be mostly underwhelming so i keep finding it difficult to get pumped up enough to watch it

daxton
02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Drinkey, I think you will really like it.

tricorne
02-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Rewatching it for the first time in a very very long time, I'm reminded how good an adaptation the 1996 James and the Giant Peach movie is. I wish someone with the same attention to detail would take on Matilda and The Witches. I realize both movies have already been made - and I have a soft spot in my heart for the DeVito/Perlman Matilda - but they both have the potential to be lasting works of art in the right hands. Right now, they're more like nostalgia pieces that occasionally play on cable.

tricorne
02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
All the Dahls, really. Let's do all of them.

tricorne
02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
By attention to detail, I guess I mostly mean someone who doesn't use CGI for everything and call it a day. If they try to fucking Toy Story my beloved childhood memories I'll do a thing to a person.

daxton
02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure if I knew that Matilda was Dahl too. But, of course that makes sense. I remember somewhat enjoying the 1996 Matilda as a young adult. I don't think I ever saw the remake of James and the Giant Peach. Would you recommend me watching that now, or is it something I should have watched years ago to enjoy?

Also, Hannah, I haven't been able to get your signature out of my head for days. I'll be in the kitchen making food and it just pops in my head and repeats. Thing of mig jigs. Thing of mig jigs. Thing of mig jigs.

tricorne
02-20-2011, 02:16 PM
It's enjoyable now if it's to your taste, which I think is sort of my point. Dahl books deserve movies that you don't have to remember seeing when you were younger to value. I don't know your taste very well, so it may or may not click for you, but it's on Netflix Instant and is only an hour and twenty minutes long, so it's not a huge commitment.

paulb
02-20-2011, 02:20 PM
James and the Giant Peach was a hit for me as a 8 year old....

Wathed Paths of Glory last night for the 1st time....Excellent film, really interested in seeing more of Kubricks 50's films...

wmgaretjax
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Next to Paths of Glory, I think The Killing is his best 50s film.

Agreed on James and the Giant Peach, I haven't seen it in forever... but I remember it being a pretty excellent kids film.

skyismad
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I always felt like James and the Giant Peach was just not quite there, compared to Henry Selick's other animated films (Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline). I could never put my finger on what about it though made it feel this way, and still can't.

It still is certainly one of the better Dahl adaptions though, and pretty great as far as children's films go. Possibly second to the original Wonka.

Also, did you know the music was to originally be done by XTC's Andy Partridge? Some conflict with Disney occurred over song rights, and he was replaced with Randy Newman.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I liked Shanghai Triad.

zircona1
02-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Also, did you know the music was to originally be done by XTC's Andy Partridge? Some conflict with Disney occurred over song rights, and he was replaced with Randy Newman.

I heard about that, apparently some of the songs from that period are on one of the Fuzzy Warbles discs.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I am extremely fond of the Henson version of Witches, but it was quite different from the book.

SoulDischarge
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Do you mean the Roeg version? That dude really had an interesting career path.

I don't think I've seen a bad Dahl adaptation, but not very many extraordinarily good ones either. I ought to revisit the books since he was one of my favorites as a kid.

KungFuJoe
02-20-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm a sucker for movies that make me sentimental and Summer Wars was simply gorgeous. Finally got around to watching it last night and absolutely adored it.

Also, just finished Legend of the Fist The Return of Chen Zhen. This was great fun as well. Not a perfect film by any stretch, but Donnie Yen delivers yet another bone crunching good time and he does a great job with the Bruce Lee homage at the end. Between this, Ip Man, 14 Blades, Bodyguards and Assassins, etc... Who would have thought he'd be hitting his peak this late in his career?

Don't like to take too much time going into in depth reviews, but I highly recommend both of these. Especially, Summer Wars.

tricorne
02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't think I've seen a bad Dahl adaptation

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2005_Charlie_and_the_Chocolate_Factory/big/2005_charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_teaser_post er_001.jpg

daxton
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2005_Charlie_and_the_Chocolate_Factory/big/2005_charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_teaser_post er_001.jpg

Good point. I also did not know he wrote that.

SoulDischarge
02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I've actually effectively blocked that from my memory and replaced it with a swarm of Gene Wilders.

tricorne
02-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Also, 2005? That movie came out yesterday. Where does the time go.

skyismad
02-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Tim Burton managed to make my childhood in the first half of his career, then brutally rape it in the second half.

bmack86
02-20-2011, 07:42 PM
We watched Werewolves on Wheels tonight. Despite the title, there is very little werewolf action, but there are two full satanic rituals that were pretty ridiculous and the soundtrack was a surprisingly entertaining blend of 70s outlaw country and boogie rock that was eerily well-matched to the action on the screen. As in, all the songs had to have been written for a film titled Werewolves on Wheels that my roommate and I had to hunt for.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Do you mean the Roeg version? That dude really had an interesting career path.

I don't think I've seen a bad Dahl adaptation, but not very many extraordinarily good ones either. I ought to revisit the books since he was one of my favorites as a kid.

Yes, that version. It was the last film that Jim Henson himself was personally involved in creating all the creature effects for before his death, so i guess i've always associeted more with him than anyone else.

daxton
02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I watched Barton Fink last night, another Coen brothers film. I liked it a lot. I'm a pretty big fan of John Goodman, and like John Turturro a lot too. All the characters, every single one, were great. I guess I've only got 2 more of theirs to see. Woooo.

humanoid
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I was far more entertained by Scott Pilgrim vs the World than I ever expected to be. I had serious reservations ahead of time, but it was pretty fun.

Gonna watch Marathon Man tonight....

Also saw Tron 3D the other night, and it was pretty dumb, but fun for nostalgic purposes...It wasn't terrible, but felt lifeless and flat, and it seemed that the same thing kept happening over and over again..thank nature for cannabis though

daxton
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
I was far more entertained by Scott Pilgrim vs the World than I ever expected to be. I had serious reservations ahead of time, but it was pretty fun.

That's how I felt. I'm ready to watch it again.

rage patton
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
What reservations did you guys have about the film? I thought the trailer was fantastic and it made me want to see the movie right away.

daxton
02-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought it might be dumb and juvenile. And Michael Cera has really been typecast and I've gotten a little tired of watching the same character over and over.

humanoid
02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
What reservations did you guys have about the film? I thought the trailer was fantastic and it made me want to see the movie right away.

The trailer definitely looked fun, but I sometimes have trouble getting into movies that have a silly edge to them, but in this case it worked perfectly.

Also, I'm not in graphic novels at all, so I occasionally have an issue with films adapted from such source material. I've seen too many that were simply terrible in my opinion, so it helped to create doubts...

bobert
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Really? I had the opposite reaction - thought the trailer made the movie look terrible, and fairly indistinguishable from a lot of the bad Michael Cera movies that were coming out at the time. It wasn't until I started hearing that the movie was actually really good (and directed by the Sean of the Dead guy) that I had any interest in seeing it.