PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125

M Sparks
07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday are two of the greatest comedies ever.

Agreed, and I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Monkey Business. I don't think it's really considered one of his better or more well known films, but damnit...it just kills me every time. So many hilarious bits in there, though most of the best stuff is in the second half...be patient.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-06-2009, 11:07 PM
this coming from the president of the Michael bay fanclub... and yes the only one that I know of that enjoyed the craptastic Terminator Salvation.

that said, I highly doubt i will seek out Jennifer's Body.

fair enough hahaha

But just because I like some shitty movies does not mean i like ALL shitty movies

....and I hated Juno, so I highly doubt I am going to want to venture further into this bitch's "mind"

TallGuyCM
07-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop tonight (yeah, yeah, laugh it up). It was an entertaining hour and a half, and light because of the PG rating.

I realize Adam Sandler grew up with all that late-70's/early 80's shit rock, but why do all the Happy Madison movies have to feature that music so prominently?

Down Rodeo
07-06-2009, 11:52 PM
It would have been Spielberg's best film ever if it would have ended at the bottom of the ocean.

This isn't far off from my thoughts on the film.

sbessiso
07-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Last time I saw AI was in the theater and I remember thinking it fucking sucked. 2 hours of Haley Joel Osment not blinking looking for a fairy or something

M Sparks
07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Last time I saw AI was in the theater and I remember thinking it fucking sucked. 2 hours of Haley Joel Osment not blinking looking for a fairy or something

Did he ever find you?

wmgaretjax
07-07-2009, 08:34 AM
clap. clap. clap.

humanoid
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Did he ever find you?

that was set up way too easily for you!!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
While I also agree about the ending, I think A.I. is a pretty amazing movie. I rewatched it about a year ago for the first time since the theater and was pretty stunned by it

humanoid
07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I haven't seen A.I. since the theater, all I remember was feeling dissatisfied...maybe I'll have to give it a chance one of these days

amyzzz
07-07-2009, 09:18 AM
^ Great movie, I'm assuming you're obv. talking about the original.

The original Thomas Crowne Affair? With all those cheesy camera/film effects? WTF.

amyzzz
07-07-2009, 09:21 AM
It would have been Spielberg's best film ever if it would have ended at the bottom of the ocean.
Agreed. I love A.I. and watch it about once a year with my kids.

bobert
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
This is dumb. Bruno, much like Borat, is about using cultural stereotypes to expose racism and homophobia respectively. There's no reason any gay person should feel offended by Bruno and I sincerely doubt you could find that many that do. Rather, they just seem to love it.

Hence the sarcastic joke, Randy. I was also joking about the minstrel shows, as they seem to be alive and well in the comedic offerings of Tyler Perry and Martin Lawrence.

PotVsKtl
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday are two of the greatest comedies ever. Usually comedies from that era don't work very well these days, but those two are just so sharply written and everyone in them are obviously having so much fun, it's hard not to get swept up in it all. The Big Sleep is fantastic as well. The plot gets increasingly more incomprehensible as the movie goes on (even the screenwriter has gone on record as not knowing what happened in one case), but that's not really important because it's all about the atmosphere and Bogart and Bacall trading pretty blunt innuendos.

Bringing Up Baby is so fucking good. Philadelphia Story may edge it out for best screwball comedy, but both Cukor and Hawks wrecked shop in the '30s/early '40s.

wmgaretjax
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Philadelphia Story > Bring Up Baby

By a hair.

sbessiso
07-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Did he ever find you?

come on!

amyzzz
07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I must have watched this one scene from Bringing Up Baby 20 times as part of a film class and it never got old. That's such a great movie.

PotVsKtl
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Shut up.

amyzzz
07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
hahaha

M Sparks
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
that was set up way too easily for you!!

OK, I admit it. Sbessiso is my alias.

SoulDischarge
07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Speaking of screwball comedies, I watched Peter Bogdanovich's What's Up Doc? last night and it just didn't work. I think the main problem was it was all surface imitation with no real chemistry or plausibility. The whole movie I just wanted to cut off Barbara Streisand's big fucking nose and replace it with C4. And Ryan O'Neal is no Cary Grant. The chase scene was pretty cool, but even then it didn't supply the laughs it should have because it's impossible to care what happens to any of the characters. It's kind of amazing that a large chunk of the same people would do comedy so well the next year in Paper Moon.

amyzzz
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
What's Up Doc was completely forgettable for me.

M Sparks
07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Ryan O'Neal is no Cary Grant.

This is the least necessary statement I've seen all week.

SoulDischarge
07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
It's necessary if you see how hard he tries to be and fails in What's Up Doc?.

M Sparks
07-07-2009, 05:05 PM
It's necessary if you see how hard he tries to be and fails in What's Up Doc?.

Yeah, but it's like saying "Dermot Mulroney is no Spencer Tracy"

Young blood
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
There is no way somebody invested money in this. It had to be a Demi solo venture. I cannot believe I made it through the trailer.

WhNTMgQxnAg

M Sparks
07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Netflix doesn't think area man is ready for 'Blue Velvet' (http://www.theonion.com/content/radio_news/netflix_doesnt_think_area?utm_source=a-section)

HowToDisappear
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I'd like to add My Favorite Wife (Cary Grant, Irene Dunne 1940) to the list of screwball comedies.

whynotsmile99
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
There is no way somebody invested money in this. It had to be a Demi solo venture. I cannot believe I made it through the trailer.

WhNTMgQxnAg
JESUS CHRIST

that really was, quite possibly, the worst movie trailer I have ever seen

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-09-2009, 09:40 AM
this looks like it will be pretty great

x-i42Mrw3no

bobert
07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/bobertrgb/ReadMyLips.jpg

Watched Read My Lips the other night - pretty great movie. It's about a deaf girl who get's involved with a petty thief (Vincent Cassel) that works in her office, and the two of them begin planning a robbery together. This is the second film I've seen by the writer/director, Jacques Audiard, the other being The Beat That My Heart Skipped, and I really like his style. I heard that his latest film, Un prophète, is his best yet - it won the Grand Jury Prize at Canne this year. Comes out next month, I believe. I can't wait.

wmgaretjax
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm very excited for Un Prophete. I loved The Beat That My Heart Skipped, I'll have to check this out.

schoolofruckus
07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think Un Prophete is coming out in August here....I think SPC will release it in late '09 / early '10 along with The White Ribbon.

iv3rdawG
07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Those wondering when they can see Antichrist, IMDb lists it as October 23 (limited).

rage patton
07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
No midnight screenings of Bruno in my area? Lame.

JewFace
07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm so glad you mentioned Read My Lips, Bobert. I'll have to check it out. I saw The Beat That My Heart Skipped fairly recently and absolutely loved it. I was so floored by Romain Duris' incendiary performance that I had to seek out some of his other fine performances in films like L'auberge espagnole and Dans Paris. I never got around to checking out any other of Jacques Audiard's films.

On the topic of modern French cinema, I saw Francois Ozon's Under the Sand earlier this week. What a lovely film! Ozon does such a fine job of conveying the emotional state of the lead as she grieves for her husband and yet seems to refuse closure. No spoiler here, but my friend found the ending frustratingly and unnecessarily ambiguous, but I quite liked that Ozon left us that way. By the way, Gold bless Francois Ozon and French cinema in general. If it were left up to American cinema, Charlotte Rampling and other fine actresses of a certain age would be relegated to solely playing Keira Knightley's mother.

Speaking of fine British actresses of a certain age playing grieving women in French films, has anyone seen I've Loved You So Long? I thought I could rent that one, then re-read The Year of Magical Thinking and then take a bubble bath with my hair dryer.

RotationSlimWang
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Watching Blindness right now. First of all, pretty fucked up flick. Not sure there's quite enough of a point to it to justify all the horrible crap happening, but did anyone else find themselves laughing hysterically at the entire room of blind people on fire?

Before you all start calling me callous, they were specifically blind rapists.

MissingPerson
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Where the one-eyed rapist is king.

RotationSlimWang
07-09-2009, 08:28 PM
No no no, the one-eyed rapist was on fire, and because he was blind he just kept grabbing mattresses and blankets that were already on fire and throwing them onto other blind people. It's really quite hysterical.

bobert
07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Watching Blindness right now. First of all, pretty fucked up flick. Not sure there's quite enough of a point to it to justify all the horrible crap happening, but did anyone else find themselves laughing hysterically at the entire room of blind people on fire?

Before you all start calling me callous, they were specifically blind rapists.

Yes, I laughed. That movie was so awful it gave rape a bad name.

humanoid
07-09-2009, 09:49 PM
No no no, the one-eyed rapist was on fire, and because he was blind he just kept grabbing mattresses and blankets that were already on fire and throwing them onto other blind people. It's really quite hysterical.

until now, I didn't really have much interest in this, but who can resist a roomful of blind rapists engulfed in flames?

TallGuyCM
07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, I laughed. That movie was so awful it gave rape a bad name.

Wow, that's pretty awful.

tessalasset
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
so i just watched donnie darko for the first time ever (directors cut). first question - why were the two "bullies" (seth rogen etc) at the death grandma's house at the end? i didn't understand that at all. did they just happen to be strolling by in robber gear and see an open cellar door or something?

M Sparks
07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
this looks like it will be pretty great

x-i42Mrw3no

I'm torn. I don't like trailers that reveal too much of the plot. But I wasn't really interested until they revealed too much of the plot.

I've always had the feeling that Patton would be a good dramatic actor. He was pretty good on Dollhouse this season.

indietron
07-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I just spent like 2 hours on the District 9 websites. Its pretty intricate and detailed. And the new trailer is awesome.

ivankay
07-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Bruno is pretty fucking funny. i was in a packed midnight screening and the laughter was good and loud.

MissingPerson
07-10-2009, 05:06 AM
until now, I didn't really have much interest in this, but who can resist a roomful of blind rapists engulfed in flames?

I have to say, yes, I am going to make an effort to see it now.

schoolofruckus
07-10-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm so glad you mentioned Read My Lips, Bobert. I'll have to check it out. I saw The Beat That My Heart Skipped fairly recently and absolutely loved it. I was so floored by Romain Duris' incendiary performance that I had to seek out some of his other fine performances in films like L'auberge espagnole and Dans Paris. I never got around to checking out any other of Jacques Audiard's films.

On the topic of modern French cinema, I saw Francois Ozon's Under the Sand earlier this week. What a lovely film! Ozon does such a fine job of conveying the emotional state of the lead as she grieves for her husband and yet seems to refuse closure. No spoiler here, but my friend found the ending frustratingly and unnecessarily ambiguous, but I quite liked that Ozon left us that way. By the way, Gold bless Francois Ozon and French cinema in general. If it were left up to American cinema, Charlotte Rampling and other fine actresses of a certain age would be relegated to solely playing Keira Knightley's mother.

Speaking of fine British actresses of a certain age playing grieving women in French films, has anyone seen I've Loved You So Long? I thought I could rent that one, then re-read The Year of Magical Thinking and then take a bubble bath with my hair dryer.

I didn't like I've Loved You So Long. The acting is brilliant, but the storytelling was pretty flat.

schoolofruckus
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I saw The Hurt Locker last night. I thought it was top-shelf in a lot of ways. These days, there's only so much affection I can feel for a film whose primary concern is the lives of US soldiers. But the apoliticism of this movie, combined with an inciteful understanding of adrenaline-driven machismo, makes the characters far more humanized than the likes of, say, Jarhead. It works primarily as a technically superior thriller, told in a series of scenarios that, for the most part, don't necessarily boil in a classic narrative sense, but instead work almost as vignettes in that each one builds to its own pulse-quickening climax. The lead actor, Jeremy Renner, is terrific. Overall, I think that many critics are overrating this movie (possibly out of reverse-sexism due to the fact that it was directed by a woman, since that's what a lot of the reviews I've read tend to focus on), but I would still highly recommend it.

woogie846
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I watched half of Godfather Part II last night.

AlecEiffel
07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
so i just watched donnie darko for the first time ever (directors cut). first question - why were the two "bullies" (seth rogen etc) at the death grandma's house at the end? i didn't understand that at all. did they just happen to be strolling by in robber gear and see an open cellar door or something?

Just don't worry about it.

tessalasset
07-10-2009, 09:38 AM
ok.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
i didn't like Godfather II nearly as much as everyone else, especially not in the context of it somehow being superior to the brilliant first film. I do LOVE LOVE LOVE all the Deniro flashback stuff and would have liked to see a movie of just that, but I have such a hard time getting into all the Cuba stuff

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-10-2009, 09:42 AM

If you've seen Southland Tales or Domino you'll know that Richard kelly really doesn't give two shits about making any sort of sense, whatsoever. I've come to realize that the fact that Donni Darko has anything redeeming about it was just a fluke

rage patton
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Bruno is pretty fucking funny. i was in a packed midnight screening and the laughter was good and loud.

Good to hear. I just read a review and it wasn't good. It basically said Borat was hilarious, but Bruno is a one-trick pony. With that being said, it had no impact on my want to see the movie. I expected reviews to trash this movie. Im seeing it after work tonight.

iv3rdawG
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
If Brüno is the same as when I saw it a couple months ago, it's worth the admission price alone for the opening credits. It includes this song set to the Universal logo, something that will never be seen again:

u9odvl3tfEU

TallGuyCM
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM
If you've seen Southland Tales or Domino you'll know that Richard kelly really doesn't give two shits about making any sort of sense, whatsoever.

Keira Knightley's never looked hotter than she did in Domino. Holy moly.

amyzzz
07-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Keira Knightley's never looked hotter than she did in Domino. Holy moly.
QFT.

schoolofruckus
07-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I thought she was significantly hotter in Atonement. Part of it was the erotic undercurrent of the role, part of it was that her performance was so much more alive and unaffected. But mostly, it was just because she was sexy as can be in it.

bobert
07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Saw Bruno tonight. It had about the same amount of laughs as one of the 10 minute Ali G Show segments, but for what it's worth they were pretty big laughs. The rest of the audience laughed hysterically the entire time, so maybe my appreciation for dildo jokes isn't as honed as the typical LA movie goer.

wmgaretjax
07-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Saw Bruno tonight. It had about the same amount of laughs as one of the 10 minute Ali G Show segments, but for what it's worth they were pretty big laughs. The rest of the audience laughed hysterically the entire time, so maybe my appreciation for dildo jokes isn't as honed as the typical LA movie goer.

This was my problem. There were some side splitting moments, but they were few and far between. I was fairly bored for the rest of it. The funny bits were fucking hysterical though.

SoulDischarge
07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Eh. In today's wide release cinematic climate, I'll take those as rave reviews.

MeowMixer
07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
lol

bmack86
07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
It was decent.

DRcube
07-10-2009, 11:44 PM
it was too much dancing penis

nbvwes
07-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Public Enemies... i wasn't impressed.

to me, it felt like Bonnie & Clyde meets Dick Tracy... but not as good as either.

finally got around to watching my dvdrip of Hurt Locker i've had since January... it's pretty damn good. possibly the best micro-war movie of all time, in dealing with a few soldiers and their day-to-day duties.. maybe the best screenplay this year, so far

Castanets
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM
My roomie convinced me to watch Unfaithful with her yesterday. Anything that screams Lifetime Movie of the Week with a bigger budget makes me want to wretch. And it was, as expected, very Lifetime-esque. I only mention this stupid film because of Diane Lane. Holy Mother Teresa, this woman was mesmerizing. Even in scenes in which Oliver ("ooh la la") Martinez barely had a stitch on, I found myself glued to Lane. She truly elevates this film from being a soft-core emotional thriller to something fare more interesting and complex every time she's on screen. That wave of lustful rememberance on her face as she takes the train ride home? That was steamier than a close up on Martinez' V line. It's not that Gere or Martinez are particularly bad; they're both perfectly adequate and up for the job, but she's just so damn good. If only she got better scripts.

Xenocide
07-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Unfaithful on mute with a fast-forward button is a very enjoyable experience...

real talk
07-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I watched Before Night Falls and despite being a little too long for me, it was ultimately an emotionally moving story. Some of the timeline was choppy for me but I was also drinking wine so that could be my bad. Javier Bardem was excellent and the Sean Penn cameo was pretty brilliant.

TallGuyCM
07-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Unfaithful on mute with a fast-forward button is a very enjoyable experience...

Yeah, Ms. Lane shows off her ta-tas in that one scene, pretty hot for an old chick.

Xenocide
07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Ms. Lane shows off her ta-tas in that one scene, pretty hot for an old chick.

i love your avatar... it reminds me of the Scott Tennerman episode of south park... in fact, i think i'm gonna start calling Supre 'scott tennerman'...

wmgaretjax
07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I watched Before Night Falls and despite being a little too long for me, it was ultimately an emotionally moving story. Some of the timeline was choppy for me but I was also drinking wine so that could be my bad. Javier Bardem was excellent and the Sean Penn cameo was pretty brilliant.

I really love this movie. It's fucking beautiful. I agree that it feels a little lengthy, but I've never been able to figure out what parts should have been trimmed...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
My roomie convinced me to watch Unfaithful with her yesterday. Anything that screams Lifetime Movie of the Week with a bigger budget makes me want to wretch. And it was, as expected, very Lifetime-esque. I only mention this stupid film because of Diane Lane. Holy Mother Teresa, this woman was mesmerizing. Even in scenes in which Oliver ("ooh la la") Martinez barely had a stitch on, I found myself glued to Lane. She truly elevates this film from being a soft-core emotional thriller to something fare more interesting and complex every time she's on screen. That wave of lustful rememberance on her face as she takes the train ride home? That was steamier than a close up on Martinez' V line. It's not that Gere or Martinez are particularly bad; they're both perfectly adequate and up for the job, but she's just so damn good. If only she got better scripts.

if you like Lane, i highly recommend these two very early films of hers. they're both fantastic

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FABULOUS STAINS
http://www.worshipworthy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/stains.jpg

and

STREETS OF FIRE
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qUKzPjLgX8Y/RxPjNiMOuSI/AAAAAAAAA2c/ODAQ-9XH1zI/s400/Soundtrack_-_Streets_Of_Fire_(Front).jpg

I took my girlfriend to see AWAY WE GO this afternoon, and I actually really enjoyed it. It's disjointed because the first half is genuinely funny, despite being very silly, and the second half is a total sobfest

very well done though

TomAz
07-11-2009, 07:58 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qUKzPjLgX8Y/RxPjNiMOuSI/AAAAAAAAA2c/ODAQ-9XH1zI/s400/Soundtrack_-_Streets_Of_Fire_(Front).jpg

I remember this movie. This movie came out in the early 80s right? it totally sucked. her tit's bare and his gun's up. it goes downhill from there.

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Nothing about the phrase "Rock Fantasy" inspires great confidence in me, to be honest.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Really? Streets of Fire is pretty great. Directed by Walter Hill and featuring crazy Willem Dafoe as the bad guy and lots of anachronistic 80s musical scenes (even though it takes place in the '50s). It even has Rick Moranis in it!

TomAz
07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
there's a chick singing with a bare tit. that seems like a pretty typical late 70s/early 80s rock fantasy.

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Damn.

Is there any blind rapists on fire at any point?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Nothing about the phrase "Rock Fantasy" inspires great confidence in me, to be honest.

you people have no fun in your lives

another 'rock fantasy' that must be seen by all

ROCK AND RULE
http://www.strand-theatre-shelbyville.org/wp-content/uploads/image/Rock%20and%20Rule.jpg

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Well now that's not true, I enjoy a blind flaming rapist as much as anybody...

TomAz
07-11-2009, 08:06 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0767809548.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

you may laugh at the morrison & skynyrd but the lead cartoon guy was pretty much a lou reed take and the punk scenes were fun.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-11-2009, 08:13 PM
American pop is indeed great. I'm a big Ralph Bakshi nerd though and love pretty much all of his flicks

nbvwes
07-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Damn.

Is there any blind rapists on fire at any point?

that should have it's own movie...
i'd watch it!

SoulDischarge
07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I haven't seen these movies, but I'm sure they're mere child's play in comparison to

http://ondeafears.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/stunt-rock-poster.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-12-2009, 12:32 AM
AWWW not on Netflix

Have you actually seen it before?

SoulDischarge
07-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah. As a double feature with The Apple. It's pretty terrible in a lot of the right ways.

paulb
07-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I saw Bruno yesterday, it had its really funny moments. Overall as a film, its pretty bad, but it was exactly what a Sasha Baron Cohen film does, shock, lots of raunch and get some really loud laughs... I enjoyed it...but I do think Borat was alot better.

hawkingvsreeve
07-12-2009, 10:01 AM
I watched Ed Wood, Field of Dreams and Tombstone yesterday. Kind of a movie day apparently.

M Sparks
07-12-2009, 10:05 AM
TCM had an astoundingly awful marathon of 60's rock movies the other day. They had both Herman's Hermets movies, and "It's A Bikini World" with Tommy Kirk, (and Sid Haig as a beatnik skateboard designer!)

But the best/worst one was "Get Yourself A College Girl." Behold the awesomely racist scene where the old man watches in horror as the kids shake and shimmy and he mentally compares them to an African tribe .

bF9euqXHzog

lmntz4
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I fully realize I'm two and a half years, and over 13,000 posts late, but what exactly is "the p word" gabe refers to in the first post in this thread?

Still-ill
07-12-2009, 11:36 AM
What the fuck, "With a Cast that is the Last!"
What does that even mean?

Ardentbiscuit
07-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I haven't seen these movies, but I'm sure they're mere child's play in comparison to

http://ondeafears.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/stunt-rock-poster.jpg

They are having a screening of Stunt Rock at the New Beverly on July 31st..

july 31

* New 35mm print!

* Stunt Rock (1978)

o Midnight (11:59 p.m.) - all seats $7

SoulDischarge
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah. That's where I saw it. <3 New Beverly.

M Sparks
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
What the fuck, "With a Cast that is the Last!"
What does that even mean?

I think they mean everyone in it was the casting director's last choice.

Boy, that Dave Clark Five sure was dynamic. No wonder they got into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame ahead of The Stooges.

schoolofruckus
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I watched a few movies this weekend:

Moon - I really enjoyed what I saw of this one. Unfortunately, I had a couple drinks before the 10 pm show on Friday night, and ended up dozing off for bits and pieces of it. I feel like I got pretty much all of the narrative, but missed a lot of the interaction between the characters. It's an excellent low-budget sci-fi film about a lonely astronaut (Sam Rockwell) harvesting alternate energy on the moon. Excellent score by Clint Mansell and a pretty impressive visual achievement seeing as how it was shot for around $4 million. I'll be seeing it again.

Mysterious Skin - I rewatched this one on Saturday. It's still one of my most favorite films of this decade. Everything about it is tremendous.

The Dark Knight - I watched this one again when I was hungover on Sunday. It's held up surprisingly well since I saw it a year ago. In fact, apart from the discrepancy between IMAX and DVD, I may have liked it more this time; strip away the exorbitant box office performance and the hyperbolic ravings of everyone who wanted to be first to call it Oscar-worthy, and you still have a deeply satisfying, pretty-close-to-great superhero action movie.

Withnail and I - This movie was delightful. I hadn't heard about it until Randy quoted it on here a few years ago, and I was quite impressed. It's a hilariously literate comedy about two hard-drinking English actors whose "recuperative" holiday to the country home of one of their uncles proves to be even more nerve-wracking than their chaotic everyday lives. Funny as hell.

wmgaretjax
07-13-2009, 08:28 AM
The score for Moon was absolutely dreadful. The only real complaint I had about the film. I actually groaned out loud during some of the final sequences of the film. I despise Clint Mansell's scores with a passion. Can you ask for any more to be shoved down your throat? Please soundtrack, tell me how to feel...

AlecEiffel
07-13-2009, 08:46 AM
When you mentioned the Mysterious Skin at first I thought you were talking about

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/5/26075-large.jpg

and I got really pumped.

AlecEiffel
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM
My roomie convinced me to watch Unfaithful with her yesterday.

That movie is awesome. Infidelity kicks into high Gere.

wmgaretjax
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Reflecting Skin is a fantastic film. Unfortunately, I rarely encounter people that have had the pleasure of seeing it.

AlecEiffel
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I would probably have never even heard of it but I used to work at a video store that had a very good 'cult' section. I don't think there has ever been a DVD release of it.

M Sparks
07-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Reflecting Skin is a fantastic film. Unfortunately, I rarely encounter people that have had the pleasure of seeing it.

And many of those that have (including me) tend to only remember it for the frog bit at the beginning. (To be fair, it's been almost 20 years since I saw it.)

wmgaretjax
07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I would probably have never even heard of it but I used to work at a video store that had a very good 'cult' section. I don't think there has ever been a DVD release of it.

I'm fairly certain this is true. I found out about it at my local video store, but I don't have a VHS player so I found a copy online...

real talk
07-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Waltz With Bashir was traumatic.

I want to see Moon.

real talk
07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I fully realize I'm two and a half years, and over 13,000 posts late, but what exactly is "the p word" gabe refers to in the first post in this thread?

I just reread it and I don't know. Maybe I understood then and forgot.

PotVsKtl
07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I really enjoyed what I saw of this one.

About what percentage of movies woud you say you fall asleep in? As far as I can tell it's around 75%.

hawkingvsreeve
07-13-2009, 11:15 AM
****?

Edit:

Yep.

P i n g

real talk
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
I thought maybe, but does it make sense within the context????????????????

menikmati
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM

hawkingvsreeve
07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Not really, no. That is the only word I can think of that is censored here though, unless there is some other P word I forgot about.

real talk
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
With the reference to Howard Stern, I thought maybe it was a dirty word.

menikmati
07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
No, it's P I N G. He said "we can say fuck on this board, but can't say the P word (****), so it's sorta like weed is illegal but cigs are cool" type thing. It makes perfect sense, even 13,000 posts later.

bobert
07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/bobertrgb/9780448421650.jpg

humanoid
07-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Waltz With Bashir was traumatic.

I want to see Moon.

I saw Moon about a week and a half ago...very cool. Sure, it is reminiscent of certain iconic sci-fi space movies, but it's still very interesting, kinda trippy and Sam Rockwell is relentlessly watchable.

schoolofruckus
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
About what percentage of movies woud you say you fall asleep in? As far as I can tell it's around 75%.

It's closer to 33%. Which is still terrible. I always state that if I'm reviewing something I passed out in.

Not really, no. That is the only word I can think of that is censored here though, unless there is some other P word I forgot about.

No, it's P I N G. He said "we can say fuck on this board, but can't say the P word (****), so it's sorta like weed is illegal but cigs are cool" type thing. It makes perfect sense, even 13,000 posts later.

In early 2007, it was a very topical joke.

nbvwes
07-13-2009, 02:24 PM

The Reflecting Skin had a DVD release in Japan a couple years ago..

tessalasset
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
lamedar!

tessalasset
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/bobertrgb/9780448421650.jpg
if i remember correctly wasn't this a somewhat racist book?

tessalasset
07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
i need to see harry potter RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

dorkfish
07-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Watched the Hangover tonight. Not that funny. Pretty much the same summer comedy of the last few years.

Watched the documentary "The Staircase" over the weekend. Fabulous. Check it out if you get a chance. It's like a real life Law and Order episode. Trashy and biased for a documentary, but I don't think that I've sat through a 6 1/2 hour long documentary more willingly and constantly entertained before.

C DUB YA
07-14-2009, 05:20 AM
The Hangover is funny... quite funny. What are the "same" summer comedies that you are referring to?

mountmccabe
07-14-2009, 07:28 AM
With the reference to Howard Stern, I thought maybe it was a dirty word.

Y'all couldn't type "fuck" on the old board without it being censored, so that part was new, that is why Gabe was Howard Sterning.

You can type every other word what starts with P and it'll show up fine, just not that one.

higgybaby23
07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
I finally took in Synecdoche, NY. I was prepared for the worst, and was pleasantly surprised. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great, as was the rest of the cast. I can see how the film wasn't for everyone, but it was the best thing I've seen since Let The Right One In.(which is my favorite movie of recent memory)

TommyboyUNM
07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Watched the Hangover tonight. Not that funny. Pretty much the same summer comedy of the last few years.

The Hangover is funny... quite funny. What are the "same" summer comedies that you are referring to?

I'd have to agree more with Brad. There were some funny parts, but I didn't think it was witty enough. The premise was decent, but the writing failed. It was more in-your-face, slapstick comedy. I actually think movies like Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Tropic Thunder were a lot more clever than The Hangover.

faxman75
07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I loved The Hangover and I don't like many comedies. Tropic Thunder did nothing for me. I enjoyed Forgetting Sarah Marshall as well.

The premise is far from original. A bunch of guys head off to Sin City for a wild weekend. I'm a sucker for this premise though and this movie had a lot of original comedy and funny ass scenes. Galifianakis character was so wrong and odd. The movie takes you on a crazy ride as it tries to put together the events of the previous evening. One of my favorite scenes was when they get to the casino and Galifianakis' character inquires about pager receptions and if they have a pay phones.

The best comedy I have seen in a long while with a pretty fresh cast.

TommyboyUNM
07-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Galifianakis character was so wrong and odd. .

In such a forced way. An example of this is...

One of my favorite scenes was when they get to the casino and Galifianakis' character inquires about pager receptions and if they have a pay phones

I'm gonna go watch it again with a co-worker at some point soon. I'm gonna try to notice any little pieces of witty gold that I may have missed the first time.

chairmenmeow47
07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
just change your title to wet blanket :p

faxman75
07-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Interesting, I thought he was one of the highlights of the film with his timing and how natural he played off the most absurd character traits. It's not often a movie will get me to laugh out loud but this one got me and I found myself laughing a whole lot more than in any other comedy in recent memory. It was great to see some new faces when you have guys like Ben Stiller playing the same character in every movie or watching yet another Jack Black or Will Ferrell formulaic stint. As much as I love watching Seth Rogan and the Apatow family make films, they seemed to be coming out with a new one every frew months and that shit was even getting watered down and old. I found The Hangover to be rather refreshing.

BlackSwan
07-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Tropic Thunder was much better than Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I have not seen The Hangover yet.

miscorrections
07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I heartily enjoyed The Hangover but I was also heartily drunk.

M Sparks
07-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Regarding The Hangover...it wasn't as good as most people seem to think it is, but it's the only movie that year that has introduced a new speech pattern to my wife and I. We can't stop calling each other "a ri'tard"

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-14-2009, 09:52 AM
I got the sense from The Hangover that a lot of Galifinakis' lines were improved and they basically let the other guys naturally react to him. His delivery and the lines themselves are pretty much exactly what his stand up act is, kind of like how Rodney Dangerfield was just let loose to be "Rodney Dangerfield" in CaddyShack, just doing his stage schtick in the middle of a movie

bobert
07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Zach Galifianakis was the best part of the The Hangover. His 'lone-wolf' speech on the rooftop was some of the funniest shit I've ever heard.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Zach Galifianakis was the best part of the The Hangover. His 'lone-wolf' speech on the rooftop was some of the funniest shit I've ever heard.

That is the one part i consistently find myself quoting

Alligator Bogaloo
07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
speaking of comedies, one of the funniest movies this year is the new Woody Allen movie "Whatever Works". Larry David kills and Evan Rachel Wood is perfect.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1038

JewFace
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I can't wait to see Whatever Works. Going to try and squeeze that one in with Bruno this weekend. Should probably do Whatever Works first. Mr. Allen's films rarely stick around for long.

whynotsmile99
07-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Bruno was fucking hilarious. Borat was a better movie, but for 85 minutes I sat in a theater by myself and laughed my ass off non stop. All the segments worked for me, though i wish more of the Prop 8 stuff he shot was in there. The wedding thing was probably the weakest in the film

i'm watching Forest Gump right now. Jenny just died, Forest is waiting for the bus with Forest Jr.

tear
tear
tear

sbessiso
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Is anyone else mildly interested in "GI JOE" cuz it has Joseph Gordon-Levitt as "Cobra Commander"?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Is anyone else mildly interested in "GI JOE" cuz it has Joseph Gordon-Levitt as "Cobra Commander"?

i want to feel like I have to watch everything that levitt is in, but no, I am not even mildly interested in that movie

I'll rewatch "the lookout" instead

schoolofruckus
07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
i want to feel like I have to watch everything that levitt is in, but no, I am not even mildly interested in that movie

I'll rewatch "the lookout" instead

Same thing except I didn't like The Lookout much, and would instead sub in Mysterious Skin, Brick, or Angels in the Outfield instead.

Also, I'm going to see (500) Days of Summer on Thursday.

rage patton
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I just came here to read what everyone though about Bruno. I felt basically the same way. There were far too many points between laughs, but when I was laughing it almost hurt.

Also, Im seeing Harry Potter tonight. I haven't seen the 5th movie though. Im not a huge fan, but I enjoyed the first 4 and I am going with people who enjoy Harry Potter, so I figured why not. Can someone fill me in really quickly on what happens in the 5th movie?

PotVsKtl
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Dumbledore dies.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
woo, a lot happens in the 5th movie...4-5 were basically one huge movie and directly tie into 6....i have a feeling you might be lost. You'd be better off just looking the plot up on wikipedia

schoolofruckus
As follows:

They win the big game.
They get married.
We find out he was really a ghost the whole time.
It's the sled!
Everybody dies.

SoulDischarge
07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I thought the sled was Keyser Soze. These movies are unnecessarily complicated.

rage patton
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
woo, a lot happens in the 5th movie...4-5 were basically one huge movie and directly tie into 6....i have a feeling you might be lost. You'd be better off just looking the plot up on wikipedia

I took your advice. I heard the 5th movie was basically a set up for the 6th. I will probably be lost at the beginning, but im sure I'll be able to piece it together.

PotVsKtl
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't know, it is a children's movie after all.

sbessiso
07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
The 4th and 5th movies were fucking terrible, the 3rd is easily the best one. They hired directors with no vision that made a bland generic movie. They completely fucked through the books and cut out whatever they felt like on top of it all. See, the 3rd movie had a fucked story too but it was so beautifully made and done I didnt care so much

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
The 4th and 5th movies were fucking terrible, the 3rd is easily the best one. They hired directors with no vision that made a bland generic movie. They completely fucked through the books and cut out whatever they felt like on top of it all. See, the 3rd movie had a fucked story too but it was so beautifully made and done I didnt care so much

the third movie was great, but the 4th was actually my favorite

i didn't read the books though, i'm just a fan of the movies

menikmati
07-14-2009, 09:24 PM

No.

Boourns
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Brick was awesome.

M Sparks
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
woo, a lot happens in the 5th movie...4-5 were basically one huge movie

Ahhh, that explains it. 5 is the only one I saw (I think) and it didn't make a lick of sense to me. I expected to be missing some subtext, but not be totally lost.

sonofhal
07-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Yesterday I watched a film about the biggest car crash in history. It was called Southland Tales.

real talk
07-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Anybody that says they understand that fucking movie is lying to sound artistically sophisticated.

SoulDischarge
07-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Brick was boring. At least if you've seen more than two actual film noirs.

PotVsKtl
07-15-2009, 12:28 AM
I've seen dozens of actual film noirs and I love Brick.

sonofhal
07-15-2009, 12:40 AM
I've seen dozens of actual bricks, and i love film noir.

PotVsKtl
07-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Terminator Salvation is such a piece of shit. I haven't wanted to turn a movie off so fast since Resident Evil 2.

schoolofruckus
07-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Anybody that says they understand that fucking movie is lying to sound artistically sophisticated.

Blanket, my beautiful Blanket!

higgybaby23
07-15-2009, 07:06 AM
I watched Street Kings last night on Skinemax. WOW! One of the best/worst B-movies I've seen. I can't remember a movie so horribly acted ever. It was so bad that it put me into some sort of Keanu Reeves trance. That man has the uncanny ability to bring every other actor into his strange non-acting world. Even Forrest Whitaker took a dump on this one. I'm now inspired to seek out every Keanu movie and force myself to sit through them.

RotationSlimWang
07-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Brick was a gimmicky piece of infantile shit that made no sense.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Brick was boring. At least if you've seen more than two actual film noirs.
Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me about this movie.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 10:05 AM

While I agree that they aren't the best movies and if you havn't read the books I don't know how you'd really understand what is going on, I don't think the directors just cut out 'whatever they felt like'. Try cramming 1000 pages into two and a half hours. You're not going to get it all in there.

miscorrections
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
No, but you could cut some of the extraneous shit they added to make it a little more cohesive.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Terminator Salvation is such a piece of shit. I haven't wanted to turn a movie off so fast since Resident Evil 2.

RE2 was so bad. So, so bad.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm assuming you didn't see RE3.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I am hearing great things about the new Harry Potter. Please please put reviews in here if you've seen it. SO EXCITED. I had high hopes for the last one, and it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
So the Cloverfield guy is doing the Let the Right One In remake... Called Let Me In.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 11:12 AM
So the Cloverfield guy is doing the Let the Right One In remake... Called Let Me In.

TECHNICALLY it's based on the same book (i think the direct English translation of the book's title was "let me in") and will most likely include a lot more of the grotesque vampiric elements and deeply involved backstory that was left out of the Swedish movie in favor of subtlety

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Oh hell. I'll probably go see it. I like my vampire movies. :)

edit: speaking of which that last Underworld movie was not too shabby. A lot better than Underworld 2 and filled in more backstory/prologue related to the first one.

schoolofruckus
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
TECHNICALLY it's based on the same book (i think the direct English translation of the book's title was "let me in") and will most likely include a lot more of the grotesque vampiric elements and deeply involved backstory that was left out of the Swedish movie in favor of subtlety

Plus Eli's victims will make all sorts of funny wisecracks while she's ripping their throats out.

sonofhal
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
The new Harry Potter was a comafest. Worst one so far.

sbessiso
07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
While I agree that they aren't the best movies and if you havn't read the books I don't know how you'd really understand what is going on, I don't think the directors just cut out 'whatever they felt like'. Try cramming 1000 pages into two and a half hours. You're not going to get it all in there.

Oh I understand that believe me, but what they decide to cut out sometimes just baffles me. 4 and 5 in particular felt just so rushed and I have yet to see Half-Blood Prince but I read a review that gives another good example. Apparently the final climatic showdown is nothing but a few minutes even though its one of the most important events in all the books. Yet they decided to add scenes of events that werent even in the book to begin with. That right there just frustrates me to no end.

And dont sugar coat it Amy, Order of the Phoenix was terrible :(

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I liked Helena Bonham Carter in it though. And the swirly smoke fight at the end was cool even if it didn't match up to the scene in the book. Oh and whoever played Umbridge was perfect.

higgybaby23
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM

This is why I stopped watching American made films for a year. Maybe I should go back to that practice.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, they always get the casting right. That's the strongest point of the films.

I think the main problem with OotP was that Sirius's death is one of the emotional focal points of the entire series. It's supposed to be a really, really big deal and when it happens in the movie it just kind of left me with an "huh, ok whatever" feeling. I'm afraid that I'm going to get that same feeling again when I see the end of HBP, which would really be a shame. I know they cut the major battle at the end of this one and I understand it's because they want extra emphasis on the battle at the end of the series. That shit seriously better get an hour of screen time, especially since they are cutting that book into two movies and most of it is about characters hanging out in a tent not knowing what's going on with the rest of the story.

miscorrections
07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
OotP was so bad I blocked most of it out of my memory. I seriously can't remember much about the movie, and I hope this one isn't SO terrible. I don't expect it to be good, but would a watchable adaptation be too much to ask for?

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm assuming you didn't see RE3.

It was better than the second one, but not by much.

The first one is great though. I can watch that movie almost anytime and enjoy it.

I got Speed Racer in the mail yesterday from Netflix. I am not expecting much, I just want it to look good.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 12:20 PM
It was better than the second one, but not by much.

I very much disagree. I thought RE3 was incredibly boring.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
We are disagreeing so hard right now.

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Maybe I'll rewatch it, though I'm really not looking forward to it.

sbessiso
07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I just wish so hard that they had brought back Alfonso Cuaron to direct

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I think #5 was better than #4 though, but I think I also blocked out much of #5. If one of the upcoming movies could match or surpass #3, I could get excited about the series all over again. I think I even stopped re-reading the books after that last movie because it let me down so much.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
YES. Or bring Peter Jackson into the fold.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Maybe I'll rewatch it, though I'm really not looking forward to it.

No, no. Neither are worth a second viewing and I would hate for you to waste those hours of your life on such terrible cinema. I dont need to convince anyone here. As long as we can agree that the first was a fun movie, we are good.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Brandon. Speed Racer is incredible eye candy, but that's it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM

i think you're confusing screenwriters with directors

the complaints you have made have little to do with the directing and much more with the screenplay

AlecEiffel
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
it also has John Goodman fighting a ninja, which is incredible soul candy.

sbessiso
07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
i think you're confusing screenwriters with directors

the complaints you have made have little to do with the directing and much more with the screenplay

Well I had already stated that--they hired directors with no vision or flair that turned in a generic turd. OotP was made by a TV director ugh

it also has John Goodman fighting a ninja, which is incredible soul candy.

"Oh my god, was that a ninja??"

humanoid
07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Brandon. Speed Racer is incredible eye candy, but that's it.

I'm also curious to check it out solely for this purpose.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, it will be on Blu Ray so I am excited about that, but I know most people thought it sucked.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Christina Ricci looked cute in Speedracer.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Speed racer is great!

HowToDisappear
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, it will be on Blu Ray so I am excited about that, but I know most people thought it sucked.

We watched it on BluRay. Looks great. Sucks harder than you can imagine.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure what the people who think Speed Racer sucked were expecting? It's a kids movie, and it's exactly like the source material.

stuporfly
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I took my daughter to see Speed Racer, and we had a fantastic time. Madeline - who was six at the time it was in theaters - adored it, and I liked it rather well, too. Like wmgaretjax mentioned, it's great to look at, and as I didn't expect to get too much else out of it, I didn't have any other expectations to dash. On those terms, I was able to thoroughly enjoy myself.

humanoid
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure what the people who think Speed Racer sucked were expecting? It's a kids movie, and it's exactly like the source material.

I just want to smoke a little weed, relax and watch the pretty lights, not expecting much more out of it.

JewFace
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I saw Bruno last night. Add my voice to the general chorus of "meh" on this one. Not half as entertaining or as effective as Borat.

I really can't stand G.L.A.A.D. and the way they try to censor every "***" joke out there. That being said, their criticism of Bruno is fairly valid. Besides it only having a handful of truly funny moments (loved the infant parent interviews), it also failed miserably at any attempt to "expose" or lampoon homophobia. Were the reactions of some of the unwitting co-stars based at least partly in homophobia? Sure. But they were also largely reactions to an outlandish, ridiculous, over-the-top character. Anyone would be annoyed, grossed out or shocked by some of Bruno's behavior. I think the audience will be, for the most part, laughing at Bruno and not with him.

chairmenmeow47
07-15-2009, 03:17 PM
but can't you say the same for borat? i mean, borat was a caricature as well, just a more socially-acceptable one.

Blinken
07-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I just want to smoke a little weed, relax and watch the pretty lights, not expecting much more out of it.

Yeah that is exactly what it is good for. I saw it again a couple months ago on some shrooms, flat out amazing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
the "Let me In" concept posters

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lmi1.jpg

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lmi2.jpg

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lmi3.jpg

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Nice, have to say.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 03:37 PM
definitely sticking cloe to the design aesthetics of the posters for the original film

http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/1139797/Lat-den-ratte-komma-in.html

sonofhal
07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Let Me (ru)in the original.

whynotsmile99
07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I saw Bruno last night. Add my voice to the general chorus of "meh" on this one. Not half as entertaining or as effective as Borat.

I really can't stand G.L.A.A.D. and the way they try to censor every "***" joke out there. That being said, their criticism of Bruno is fairly valid. Besides it only having a handful of truly funny moments (loved the infant parent interviews), it also failed miserably at any attempt to "expose" or lampoon homophobia. Were the reactions of some of the unwitting co-stars based at least partly in homophobia? Sure. But they were also largely reactions to an outlandish, ridiculous, over-the-top character. Anyone would be annoyed, grossed out or shocked by some of Bruno's behavior. I think the audience will be, for the most part, laughing at Bruno and not with him.

I have to get agree with you, though I found the movie hilarious throughout. I agree with GLADD too. The wrestling scene in particular, though I laughed hard, made me wince. Scary to think of all those rednecks now with a deeper passion of hatred to gays after seeing that. That stunt could have been pulled in San Francisco and while the reaction wouldn't have been as volatile, people would have still thrown a shit fit.

What scenes didn't work for you guys in particular? I feel like I'm one of the few who thought the movie was laugh out loud funny throughout. One of my favorites was the audience test screening. THe look on that guys' face when Bruno busted through the doors was priceless.

rage patton
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Im going to go on record saying I loved Cloverfield. Most people I know hated it, but it was exactly what I wanted it to be. I also really enjoyed Let The Right One In. Therefore, I am excited for Let Me In.

Also, I saw Harry Potter at midnight. It was good. I laughed a lot more than I thought I would. I have never read the books, but I coudn't help but feel this movie was rushed. It moved at a lightning pace, but much of it I found uninteresting. The guy who played Professor Slughorn (sp?) was great though. Also, I want to kill Draco Malfoy. He is an annoying, pussy little bitch. Everytime he was on screen he had me pissed off.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I loved Cloverfield. I'm interested.

Also, this is a very real cinema information line in the little town of Navan, re: Bruno.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/62693484f2197756/

This is the most interesting thing Navan's ever done by the way, it's an apocalyptically boring arsehole of a town. Now at least they can phone up the cinema for entertainment, and I tried the number earlier, the message was still up.

JewFace
07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
but can't you say the same for borat? i mean, borat was a caricature as well, just a more socially-acceptable one.

To an extent, yes. I would argue that a lot more of the laughs in Borat were generated by the reactions of the real people in the film to Borat and the racist, anti-semitic, sexist or xenophobic statements they made or behavior they exhibited, rather than coming just from Borat making a total ass of himself.

Obviously, a wider range of taboo topics were satirized in Borat, but I just don't think Bruno was half as successful at satirizing homophobia.

Borat was a racist, anti-semitic, sexist, xenophobic character who was able to satirize those beliefs by exposing them in ordinary every day Americans. Bruno is a flamboyant, fey, sexually aggressive homosexual who attempts to expose people's homophobia but instead largely plays into misconceptions or gross stereotypes of homosexuals. His behavior as "the homosexual" is outrageous and distasteful and freakish and so the reactions of the real people in Bruno don't seem half as outrageous as they did in Borat.

schoolofruckus
07-15-2009, 04:06 PM
The problem with Bruno - or any other movie - trying to "expose homophobia" is that there's too fucking much homophobia out in the open (http://www.protectmarriage.com/) for it to be of any significance.

suprefan
07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Brandon. Speed Racer is incredible eye candy cause of Christina Ricci, but that's it.

fixed...

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 04:12 PM
She looks hot when she's anorexic and when she's voluptuous, that bitch.

chairmenmeow47
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
To an extent, yes. I would argue that a lot more of the laughs in Borat were generated by the reactions of the real people in the film to Borat and the racist, anti-semitic, sexist or xenophobic statements they made or behavior they exhibited, rather than coming just from Borat making a total ass of himself.

Obviously, a wider range of taboo topics were satirized in Borat, but I just don't think Bruno was half as successful at satirizing homophobia.

Borat was a racist, anti-semitic, sexist, xenophobic character who was able to satirize those beliefs by exposing them in ordinary every day Americans. Bruno is a flamboyant, fey, sexually aggressive homosexual who attempts to expose people's homophobia but instead largely plays into misconceptions or gross stereotypes of homosexuals. His behavior as "the homosexual" is outrageous and distasteful and freakish and so the reactions of the real people in Bruno don't seem half as outrageous as they did in Borat.

The problem with Bruno - or any other movie - trying to "expose homophobia" is that there's too fucking much homophobia out in the open (http://www.protectmarriage.com/) for it to be of any significance.

both excellent points. i haven't seen bruno, but i want to. i think borat was better at getting people to agree WITH him, whereas it sounds like bruno is better at getting people to just flat out be AGAINST him. at least, that's how i remember it from the ali g show.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
So Borat leads people to see how far they'll follow, and Bruno is hate-bait.

Must say, Sacha Baron Cohen is kinda fit.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Hated Borat, don't want to see Bruno.

GrossMagic
07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
SO EPIC!

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oCAJVuSUCEw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oCAJVuSUCEw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

SoulDischarge
07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Bruno is more of an outrageous gross out type comedy than a biting piece of satire, and it was pretty funny as that, although I doubt it'll have much replay value. Still, I think it's pretty obvious that Cohen wasn't trying to make some kind of point like "Look how intolerant these people are for not accepting this crass stereotype." Rather, the point seemed to be to show how willingly people buy into such an obvious caricature of what *** bashers think a homosexual acts like. Anyone who knows any actual gay people would spot Bruno as a phony in seconds. Anyone with a shred of common sense or a sense of humor would spot him as a phony as well. It's pretty much just Tom Green with a lisp. I can't imagine anyone getting truly offended other than thinking he's an insufferable jackass.

Courtney
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Saw new Harry Potter matinee today. Probably the politest audience I've sat with in a long time. No talking; no cell phones. Impressive.

The movie itself was somewhat disappointing. Despite clocking in at two and half hours, it somehow managed to feel more like a preface than a satisfying, self-encapsulated story. That being said, the set design was glorious, as is the norm for the series. And the newest installment does deliver on the sort of earnestly charming film making that I have come to expect from Harry Potter, thankfully mostly stopping short of the saccharine.

JustSteve
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
i teared up a bit during the preview for "where the wild things are". i had seen the preview on my comp, but seeing it on the huge screen with that song was amazing. so many great memories from my childhood with that book...and now it is my daughter's favorite book!

of course, the first time i read it to her as an adult i had to just laugh at how ridiculous the writing is.

that preview for (i think it was called) "2012" looked fuckin' crazy...

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to Where The Wild Things are. The trailer is wonderful, and even the script had me a little bit shiny-eyed. But I think I'd kind of like to see it in a cinema full of folks who'd read the book when they were kids. :(

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Gonna watch Nausicaa for the first time in about 5 years tonight
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/dfuneral/Movies/nausicaa.gif

It's an early Hayao Miyazaki film from the early '80s and it is really, really great. It's very much a pre-cursor to the much bigger, richer Princess Mononoke, except as a science fiction piece. Highly recommended!

Courtney
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah, that Where The Wild Things Are trailer is spot on. I wonder how kids respond to it; it feels like it's definitely more targeted to our demographic.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Makes me feel really nostalgic, for all those fond memories I've got of reading it as a kid. Memories I don't actually have, since I never read it as a kid. An impressive achievement, really, to actually warp my grounding in reality.

Courtney
07-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Ahaha. Yes. Or maybe it's just the Arcade Fire.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Or the gin.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Probably both though, honestly.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-15-2009, 07:39 PM
from what I've read about and seen from WTWTA, the film is going to be less an adaptation of the (VERY SHORT) book and moreso Jonz' personal interpretation of the meaning of the book, kind of like making an entire movie out of a one-page poem

i am very excited

On another note, I saw the opera version of it, which Maurice Sendak himself designed (he did a lot of opera in the '70s, including an incredible version of The Nutcracker, which still tours today) when it came to L.A. in the late '80s. It featured monstrous costumes and an incredible set

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0605/20080605__20080608_E05_AE08STATEDANCE.B-9W9~p2_500.JPG

Courtney
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Anthony Lane's review of Half-Blood Prince just got put up on the New Yorker website. I don't fully understand why critics are harping on the various sexual undercurrents as being unfulfilled; it's a PG-rated movie for children.

I do like his comparison of Hogwarts to Gotham City, with the question of whether a film of this sort needs to be taken into "dark and edgy" territory to be successful.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I still can't stop laughing at that poor kid with Swine Flu.

MissingPerson
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Uh, that probably sums me up as a human being though.

tricorne
07-15-2009, 09:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/United-Artists-30-Film-Deluxe-Giftset/dp/B000WC39ZO

This just went up on Woot for $50. Thought maybe someone might want it.

Blinken
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks Hannah, I just ordered it.

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Speed Racer. Pretty terrible. Campy as fuck. Terrible script. Mediocre to poor acting. Montage mayhem.

But sweet Jesus is that a workout for your TV. It was like watching CSI Miami for two hours. Colors were EXTREMELY saturated and rich. It was like a candy store for the eyes, but got exhausting after a while. It does suffer from the Transformers syndrome, where everything is moving so fast it's hard to tell just what the hell is happening, but when it was visible, it was pretty to look at.

M Sparks
07-15-2009, 11:37 PM

The Birdcage?

THE BIRDCAGE!?!

hawkingvsreeve
07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
My roommate thought it was great. He must have watched a different film. He has been known to be a huge bad movie apologist.

Courtney
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM

That would be a good gift for someone who you think you're supposed to get a big gift for, but don't really care/want to spend the money. Good find.

roberto73
07-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Speed Racer. Pretty terrible. Campy as fuck. Terrible script. Mediocre to poor acting. Montage mayhem.

But sweet Jesus is that a workout for your TV. It was like watching CSI Miami for two hours. Colors were EXTREMELY saturated and rich. It was like a candy store for the eyes, but got exhausting after a while. It does suffer from the Transformers syndrome, where everything is moving so fast it's hard to tell just what the hell is happening, but when it was visible, it was pretty to look at.

I still think Stef's review of it is the most accurate one I've read: "Like being stabbed in the eyes with rainbows."

tessalasset
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
loved harry potter.

indietron
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
harry potter was brilliant

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Anthony Lane's review of Half-Blood Prince just got put up on the New Yorker website. I don't fully understand why critics are harping on the various sexual undercurrents as being unfulfilled; it's a PG-rated movie for children.

I do like his comparison of Hogwarts to Gotham City, with the question of whether a film of this sort needs to be taken into "dark and edgy" territory to be successful.

If a director wants to semi-accuratley translate the HP stories to film, then there is no choice but to take it in "dark and edgy" places. The 4th book(Goblet of Fire) starts off with a murder and also ends with one. I'm not sure how you can sugar coat that. The Half-Blood Prince was a pretty brutal book, definitely not for younger children. I felt the brillance of the books was Rowling's abililty to take a twee children's story and evolve it into a very adult one.

amyzzz
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Filmmakers clearly can't or WON'T match Rowling's ability to do that. They want it to be a series of kids movies.

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Filmmakers clearly can't or WON'T match Rowling's ability to do that. They want it to be a series of kids movies.

Sadly Amy, I think your right. They can't see the forest for the dollar signs. I'm still anxious as hell to see the new flick though. Once your an HP addict, there is no cure.

amyzzz
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
The sad thing is, I KNOW there is a group of adult fans who only watch the movies and haven't read the books -- if the directors had more vision and tried to incorporate the more adult side of HP, that group would only grow larger.

higgybaby23
07-16-2009, 12:18 PM
The sad thing is, I KNOW there is a group of adult fans who only watch the movies and haven't read the books -- if the directors had more vision and tried to incorporate the more adult side of HP, that group would only grow larger.

I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of adults have only seen the movies. Oh well, their loss.

schoolofruckus
07-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Being a fan of Jess Weixler's performance in Alexander The Last, I contacted Rod Lurie and urged him to consider casting her in the Susan George role in his Straw Dogs remake. He took my advice and met with her, but finally decided to go with Kate Bosworth.

Lurie has written the Straw Dogs script and will begin directing it in rural Mississippi in August. He told me a while ago that he did a lot of research on the original Sam Peckinpah version, including reading old yellowed drafts of the script and asking Dustin Hoffman for advice about casting the David Sumner role.

One interesting sidenote is that back in 1971 "no name actress would come within a mile of [the Susan George] role," he mentioned. Bosworth was no doubt influenced by the first-rate performance that Kate Beckinsale delivered in Lurie's Nothing But The Truth, but the Straw Dogs character isn't going to be substantially different than the one George played so that in itself makes Bosworth look pretty fearless.

An insider-the-looper claimed earlier today in an e-mail that she's going to give "a ballsy ballsy performance."

Alexander (son of Stellan) Skarsgard is going to play her ex-boyfriend and plunderer. James Marsden will play the Dustin Hoffman role, although it's a different character -- i.e., a lot less dweeby and cowardly and socially awkward. He'll be playing a moderately smooth, go-with-the-flow L.A. screenwriter who relocates with his actress wife (Bosworth) to her Mississippi hometown in order to finish a script.

Will Lurie be shooting in Tupelo? Philadelphia? If it's Oxford he'd better watch the wifi.

Skarsgard (who's 6' 4") will play Bosworth's her ex-high school boyfriend who was a top jock in his heyday. Ancient Chinese curse: "May you peak in high school."

This is going to be fucking TERRIBLE.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I saw Straw Dogs for the first time about 3 months ago. That is one fucking uncomfortable movie, and really, really good.

i can't see any point in making a remake AT ALL...how is that story palatable to today's mass audiences? (ANSWER: it will be nothing like the original whatsoever)

I don't like Bosworth though, so the idea of seeing her play a conniving, screeching unsympathetic whore sounds good to me

EDIT: i just read that entire blurb, hahahaha way to perpetuate Southern stereotypes, Hollywood

JustSteve
07-16-2009, 12:34 PM

quite a few years ago i was in the hospital and my mom bought me a box set of the first 4 books. i read all 4 of them within about 6 days, reading all day and continuing 'til almost 4 am each night, i could not put them down. it was before the movies came out and i'm glad i did it that way.

stuporfly
07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books until recently, primarily because I wanted to enjoy them with my daughter when she was old enough to trade chapters with me. We're on Goblet of Fire at the moment.

I've liked the films, as has my daughter. I think maybe because we approached the whole Harry Potter thing in this way, we've been able to enjoy both the books and films in their own right.

We actually went to see the new one this afternoon after I picked her up from day camp, but a transformer blew up at the theater and they closed. Perhaps another day.

CuervoPH
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
but a transformer blew up at the theater and they closed. Perhaps another day.

Damn that Michael Bay!

sbessiso
07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Wes Anderson's The Fantastic Mr. Fox

http://img.filmsactu.com/datas/films/f/a/fantastic-mister-fox/xl/4a5f40f65e2d1.jpg
http://img.filmsactu.com/datas/films/f/a/fantastic-mister-fox/xl/4a5f40fbb1849.jpg

amyzzz
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
My friend and my sister-in-law both encouraged me to read all the books that were out before the first movie came out, and I've picked up each new book as it came out. I think I like books 3 and 5 the best (although book 6 is pretty twisted).

AlecEiffel
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't understand how people that have not read the books would understand what's going on in the Order of the Phoenix or Half Blood Prince movies. They are decent as companion pieces to the novels but terrible films. Sure, things look nice and there are good performances and funny parts, but anything that's intended to cause an emotional reaction falls completely flat. This director has an incredible ability to make a major characters death seem like no big deal at all.