• Poplife Festival

15 25.86%
  • Lost in Music

43 74.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 3 - POPLIFE FESTIVAL VS. LOST IN MUSIC

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 3 - POPLIFE FESTIVAL VS. LOST IN MUSIC

Round 3 - Poplife Festival vs. Lost in Music

Well it's onto Round 3 finally. Obviously, there is a new addition to this round, that being SET TIMES! Yes, all final 8 festivals have submitted their set times, which are to be viewed, judged, and criticized by you (the fan, voter). So instead of just basing your vote on the lineup, take some time to go over set times, because maybe there will be some conflicts which limit how many of your favorite bands you'll get to see compared to another festival...you get the drift. Also take some time to explore some of the smaller bands too...they could make or break a festival.

Remember, no alias voting (I know who you are, and/or suspect certain names)...and only vote if you have 100 or more posts...if you do otherwise, you're wasting your time because your vote will not be counted. Enjoy. Winners move onto semi-finals!

Poplife Festival:

Lost In Music Festival:

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 3 - POPLIFE FESTIVAL VS. LOST IN MUSIC

IN THE HATCH!!! I love it... OK, I gotta look this over, but as of right now Poplife f**ed up. We'll see.

Edit: 20 mins of MSTRKRFT?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! Its a DJ!!
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-25-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Patti Smith is listed for Saturday but her set time is on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I don't know. I'm still thinking about it also, but I have a slight edge going to Pop Life. I like the Day/Night idea, especially on Saturday, where I could catch the Lips and Bowie and still make all the acts at the Bayview Ampitheatre stage...I'd also even consider showing up late for Of Montreal to catch "Monterey Pop" at the Carmel Theater on Friday.

That being said, Friday at Lost In Music would be sweet. I'd catch everything up through The Decembrists on Oceanic Stage, then haul ass over to the Forest stage to catch the Wrens, CWK, and BSS. Saturday would also be sweet with RZA followed by Daft Punk in the Hatch.

I need to debate with myself for a bit longer before voting.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

i don't understand the 25 minute sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Lost in Music's conflicts are beyond horrible. I could never even attempt to go to that festival without going absolutely crazy. Justice, The Wrens and Decemberists at the same time. Daft Punk, TV on the Radio and Beck. The Knife and Slint. I'm sorry, that's like choosing between losing my kidney and my liver.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    i don't understand the 25 minute sets.
    Pop Life has 20 mins for the Hold Steady. only one hour for Bowie, 45 mins for Sonic youth. that pushed my vote to Lost in Music despite the Patti Smith screwup.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

20 mins for MSTRKRFT??? uhhhh

Good point. I didn't catch that. 20 minutes for The Hold Steady? "Hi! We're the Hold Steady. This song is called 'Your Little Hoodrat Friend'. And that will about do it for our set. Thank you for coming out."

edit: Tom is reading my mind, or I'm reading his, or something.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

i agree with bmack, the conflicts are terrible (especially the tvotr/beck/daft punk) but 20 minute set times are even worse.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Sunday on the Meadow Stage is a complete disaster for time management. Why the hell is there 90 minutes of NOTHING from 1- 2:30? Thats like 2 more bands given these short ass times. Geez. Yeah 15 mins to the first bands is like shortchanging like you dont wanna know. I see the pattern schedule wise to kind of make you go back and forth from stage to stage so you can see everyone in the day time but s**t why are you gonna make people wait more than 30 mins in between bands if they are waiting for the next one? What a waste of talent. Poplife "headliners get an hour" while Lost In Music ones get 2 hours. Friday is a tough schedule on Lost with Radiohead vs Underworld, but at least you could catch an hour of Underworld after Radiohead so its not a total loss. I woudl watch RZA and then DP in The Hatch on Satuday since I don tmind missing everything else happening at the same time.
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-25-2007 at 09:22 PM.

the set times for lost in music suck, there are way too many conflicts, that alone sways me towards poplife, plus i like the line up better as it is.

Friday, Lost in Music, Oceanic Stage, all day.

Watch the festival be blown up by Jin, Sayid, and Bernard.

Not a big fan of either festival. And I certinally dont like Pop Life's 20 min. sets. Lost in Music has quite of few conflicts but "The Hatch" looks to be pretty entertaining for me each day.

+1 for Lost in Music
    ass on the grill

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

This trumps all of your points about conflicts:

Bjork. Bowie. Prince.

Set length: 1 hour

Lost In Music it is. I thought Poplife had this thing sewn up. Good luck getting artists to want to play your festival for a shorter time than it takes most of them to set up their gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    i agree with bmack, the conflicts are terrible (especially the tvotr/beck/daft punk) but 20 minute set times are even worse.
    QFT.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Christ, fuck both of these festivals...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

i'm guessing poplife wanted zero conflicts, went for 5 minute overlaps max...but if you do that, then you have the possibility of 60,000 people at every stage for every set. Poplife has a great lineup, but the set times man...shittay

wow. poplife. no.

yeah, there was very little creativity in terms of set times for both of these festivals. i'm going with the festival that doesn't have 15 minute sets. I'm sure i'll vote for whoever goes up against either of these festivals. pop life...you broke my heart.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

Yeah, i tried to edit when i realized that there were 25 minute sets. Bowie would just be warming up in an hour. That's really bad planning, on both parts, and it makes me sad.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Lost in Music's conflicts are beyond horrible. I could never even attempt to go to that festival without going absolutely crazy. Justice, The Wrens and Decemberists at the same time. Daft Punk, TV on the Radio and Beck. The Knife and Slint. I'm sorry, that's like choosing between losing my kidney and my liver.
    The latter conflict is my reason to vote against Lost in Music. The two biggest bands I want to see playing up against each other? Not having it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Yeah, same with Prince, an hour? He would barely have gone through 1 costume change at that point. And how to you tell him that he gets an hour? I still dont see how you give a DJ 15 minutes. !!! would be able to do 4 songs max if hey cut out Me and Giullianni, Mgwai would do maybe 5 songs tops if they just blazed through things. I Cant Feel My Face EXPLANTIONS PLEASE.

Gabe you do have a point, but you woul be more pissed/frustrated/tired runnin around and seeing bits and pieces of every band at Poplife, cause thats all you get.
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-26-2007 at 09:56 AM.

yeah, i'd hate to be the person telling prince he's playing for an hour.

I don't get how Amy Winehouse (poplife) has a 15 min set. It'l take a least a half hour before she passes out.

and that's the best part.

I just had a realization. Poplife did this for a reason; the original monterey pop ran the festival in almost the exact same way. I don't think it was a good idea back then (25 minutes for Otis Redding? Pathetic) but I understand the reasoning behind it now.

Yes and that was what?... 30 years ago?... Yeah... We've come to grow to expect more from festivals...

Christ, I hope a favorite emerges from the 4 remaining posters, because this grouping has been pretty rotten... All 4 have issues...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

i take back my earlier comment on lost in music having shitty set times, poplife's are terrible, i just didn't notice. well i can't change my vote, so too bad

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Christ, I hope a favorite emerges from the 4 remaining posters, because this grouping has been pretty rotten... All 4 have issues...
    well, they're ALL going to have issues - i think it's just a matter of deciding who put the most time and effort into trying to make things fair, combined with the lineup and various other factors.