Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell Courtney What Laptop To Buy

Default Tell Courtney What Laptop To Buy

I need to buy a new laptop, and I get the sense that some of you know a lot about computers. (Or, at least you know more than I do, which isn't hard.) I don't even know whether to get a Mac or PC, so I'm starting from square one.

It needs to be lightweight for carrying around when I'm traveling, and it needs to be able to work quickly with big, high-resolution pdfs and powerpoints for conference presentations. And a long battery life would be good for use during archival research. I have no idea what else would be relevant for making this choice. Help? Suggestions? Do you own a laptop you love that you'd recommend?

Default Re: Tell Courtney What Laptop To Buy

I'd always recommend Mac for sure...they're pricey but I believe you get what you pay for

I was a PC/Network Tech for about five years. Honest advice? Get a Dell, get the best warranty they have, and have a geeky friend of yours erase all the shit Dell does to the machines they send out.

Biggest problem with laptops is that they're very vulnerable, and it doesn't take long before something's fucked with the motherboard, and if you don't have a warranty then it means you might as well buy a whole new laptop. Dell has the best warranty repair service, but the way they load their machines down with software sucks horribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by RockStr4Life View Post
    I'd always recommend Mac for sure...they're pricey but I believe you get what you pay for
    /end thread
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

Buy the most expensive Dell you can afford and get the best warranty. You will never regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

15 inch MacBook Pro. Best computer you'll ever have. You can switch from a mac format to pc format that way if you like one you use the other. Very Light and it looks cool.

Is money an isse? Macs can get pretty pricey

If you want to look cool at coffee shops, buy a Mac. On the other hand, if you want your computer to work for a long period of time, then do not buy a Mac.

Wink Re: Tell Courtney What Laptop To Buy

EDIT: GET A DELL
    Last edited by corbo; 06-02-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Macbook pro for sure, I'd say 15" screen is the perfect size. I really wanted the 17" but after getting it I realized I made the right choice as the 17 is pretty big, heavy and they dont have as many options as far as cases etc. As for running programs and such you should be covered as you can use Boot camp to run windows on a separate partition should you need to.

Mac all the way, and the macbook line of laptops are pretty cheap these days...

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    Mac all the way, and the macbook line of laptops are pretty cheap these days...
    not to mention the fact that they upgraded the macbooks recently so now the previous mid range macbook is now their low end one

I love my mac, but its not a laptop. I own a Toshiba laptop and it works great. I brang it with me to Coachella so I could upload my photos, and have not had any problems out of it. A Dell wouldn't be bad either. Notice how many people say I love my Mac, there is a reason.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

I've had the same Mac Powerbook for almost four years. It goes everywhere with me, including several trips cross country, a trip to France, three times to the U.K., and once to Australia. It's taken a beating in that time, and the only thing I've had to do is replace the CD-R drive about a year ago because I wore it out after ripping thousands of CD's. I'll be upgrading to a new Macbook later this year once the new version of OSX comes out. I've never owned anything but a Mac, but I've had to use various PC's over the years and there's really no comparison. I couldn't imagine buying anything but a Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

ive had my powerbook just over 4 years now....never a problem with it...i love it....i would go with a macbook....if you want something like get the 15 inch...its perfect....i cant wait to get mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

Im a pc girl. If you are going into graphic design though I would recommend a mac. but if you want the most bang for your buck, I say get a dell dude.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    and it needs to be able to work quickly with big, high-resolution pdfs and powerpoints for conference presentations.
    Is there a version of PowerPoint that is Mac-compatible? Is there a way to use presentation files made on a Mac on a PC?

Macs are very nice but they're still a cult. You drink that kool-aid and you're roped in and unable to trade (most) files with non-Mac people. They're probably better if you're going to do your own graphic design or video editing or whatever and not collaborate with others or want to use work computers or anything like that.

PCs are what you want for compatability. And being able to upgrade your system. And you still can still do the graphic design and video editing and whatnot.

Also it is possible these things have changed some since I last considered a Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Is there a version of PowerPoint that is Mac-compatible? Is there a way to use presentation files made on a Mac on a PC?

Weirdness.

Also what I should've said was you might could check around your industry and see what is being used.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

This is great. I knew you all wouldn't let me down. The feedback I'm hearing is Dell vs. Mac, so I guess I'll probably look at those two and do some comparisons and such. I admit that I'm totally swayed by the fact that Macs are much prettier. But it may come down to cost in the end.

Randy, thanks for your advice. I'm definitely all about getting the biggest warranty possible. Because I don't know anything about computers, it's especially important that I have a service plan that will allow me to just have it picked up/dropped off and taken care of for me without too much effort on my end.

John, I don't really do anything high-tech like video-editing or graphic design. It's mostly just word processing, with lots of high-resolution images of the art that I'm writing about. But I'll definitely check on the compatibility factor, because that's a good point and something I hadn't even considered.

Awesome. Thanks guys. More suggestions are always appreciated.

for the macbook and powerbook its only $349

The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer's 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty to up to three years of world-class support.

hey Courtney,

Apple just updated their MacBook line. They are great, affordable Mac computers. The MacBookPro is a little excessive unless you plan on doing some heavy lifting. The MacBook is probably one of the best deals out there in terms of laptops. The battery life is pretty awesome and it would totally be able to handle the things you described. KeyNote is also a great alternative to powerpoint.

I'll never buy a PC again.

PF has a point, though. If you work with heavy graphic design, video editing, etc. a Mac would be the best way to go. If all you are doing is word processing and regular stuff and money is tight, a PC laptop may be alright. But Dell is consistently ranked as the worst PC to buy in the long run according to Consumer Reports.

I can't even remember what it was like having to worry about things like viruses and retarded third-party drivers or apps. Apple is one of the few companies where you truly get what you pay for. Like Toyota and Canon.

Bring it, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by **NaNcY** View Post
    Phoenix the band?

I did lose a hard drive on my Powerbook G4 after 3 years...but that compared to all the problems I had with my Sony PC desktop is nothing. Make sure with any laptop you buy you get a warranty (I didn't and was kicking myself for it) and get an external hard drive and back up all the stuff you care about. I lose a bunch of writing and audio production/compositions so I was pretty pissed, but I still love my Mac.

yay something i can help with.

there's a reason why mac people are so obsessed.

they're more expensive, but like it's been said several times already in this thread - you get what you pay for. i've had my mac powerbook for 6 years now, and i've never had a SINGLE problem. no viruses, no software that wouldn't work, no slow running time, no anything.

i bought my Dell PC around the same time and since then i've had to reinstall windows, clear my machine of viruses and spyware countless times, and just generally constantly clean up after sloppy pc running.

You drink that kool-aid and you're roped in and unable to trade (most) files with non-Mac people. They're probably better if you're going to do your own graphic design or video editing or whatever and not collaborate with others or want to use work computers or anything like that.
    sorry john, but this is an outdated perception of Macs. i usually have no problem trading files back and forth from Mac to PC or PC to Mac.

PCs are what you want for compatability. And being able to upgrade your system. And you still can still do the graphic design and video editing and whatnot.
    the thing is - I haven't NEEDED to upgrade my mac in the 6 years that I've had it. I can't say the same for my PC.

also, C-rock, I just checked, and you are eligible for a $100 student discount from a MacBook. you can also look at their refurbished products and see if anything is there that might be good - sometimes the refurbished ones are like 30-40% off and they're warrantied.

Quote Originally Posted by denies the day View Post
    I'll never buy a PC again.

PF has a point, though. If you work with heavy graphic design, video editing, etc. a Mac would be the best way to go. If all you are doing is word processing and regular stuff and money is tight, a PC laptop may be alright. But Dell is consistently ranked as the worst PC to buy in the long run according to Consumer Reports.

I can't even remember what it was like having to worry about things like viruses and retarded third-party drivers or apps. Apple is one of the few companies where you truly get what you pay for. Like Toyota and Canon.

Bring it, people.
    Consumer Reports is retarded. They have the same people testing toaster ovens that test high-performance automobiles. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that Dell's customer support is THE best you can get for any product ever. Not only can you "just drop it off and pick it up later," but they will actually drive to your house and fix whatever is wrong with your computer for the first year or so, if they can't fix it over the phone. Apple's customer care service has always and will always consist of "Mail it to us along with a check for a hundred bucks, and we will see if it is covered. If it isn't, then send us another fifty bucks to mail it back to you with one of our pretty packages, or just let us keep it and recycle all of the parts."

agreed. I had my powerbook for 4 years and still sold it for $800. I've had my macbookpro for a year now and I've never been happier with a computer.

in terms of compatability mountmccabe, you are way wrong. Using crossover, I can run pretty much any Windows executable without installing windows in any shape or form. It creates bottled images of the programs and runs them in an emulative enviornment. I played half-life 2 the other night with all the graphical options maxed out and still barely scraped 50% of my processor capability (running NON-native).

If you don't like paying for your software.....booo hisss.....you've got more chance of sourcing not paid for software.....booo hisss.....for a PC/laptop

This post does not condone the use of pirated software or adhering to restrictive EULAs
    We're not becoming friends

Quote Originally Posted by bumper31 View Post
    If you don't like paying for your software.....booo hisss.....you've got more chance of sourcing not paid for software.....booo hisss.....for a PC/laptop

This post does not condone the use of pirated software or adhering to restrictive EULAs
    not true. man, you PC users are clueless. I have never had trouble finding any piece of pirated software for the mac. the only things I haven't been able to nail down are products that require some kind of proprietary external key (Max/MSP 4.6 etc.) to boot. Even then, I've found I-Lok workarounds before.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 05-21-2007 at 11:56 AM.