Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was 2007 the....

Default was 2007 the....

worst year ever?

i say yes. what do you say?
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

Default Re: was 2007 the....

wtf? why? This year kicked ass

What didnt u like about it?

i dunno. i kinda felt like they sold out- i could be wrong. it just didn't feel right this year. i cant point out what did it. im thinking these factors.
    heat, crowdedness, acts overlapping, and the vibe- seemed diff.

i still loved the experience because overall coachella is beyond a festival- it's an experience. i will always come back though- but i look back at this year and kinda say to myself- "meh"
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

on the contrary, this was my favorite overall coachella yet (speaking from 2004-present). i never had the luxury of experiencing coachella with not a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

It was my first coachella. Do to a mix up with my ride I had to hitchhike the first night. On the 2nd night, I some how managed to lose my cell phone (but got it back the next day). Yet, it was the best coachella ever!
    ass on the grill

best thread ever

Not at all.. there was more variety this year IMO, but the heat did suck compared to last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

most fans at all festivals suck, and plenty of assholes went all 3 days only giving a shit about one band. definitely sold out.

I've been to 2006 and 2007, and 2007 wins by a long shot.

I don't get what you guys mean by "selling out." Please explain.

I loved it. I didn't want to leave...
    We serve people like you as good food! ~sign in a restaurant window, Tokyo, Japan

It was a great year for the line up. The artist mix was great not as good as say 99, 02 or 04, but worthy of some praise. Add to that certain improvements made by GV (recycling, carpooling etc...) and 07 was hardly the worst year. (05 and 01 come to mind for me)

BUT

this festival has gotten too crowded - that's not being elitiist and that's not being a snob because i was there in 99. I realize there is a business aspect to it, and thats fine - but (like I've said before) who cares who's playing if you can't see them. Losing about 10,000-15,000 people would fix this - GV would still make plenty of bank and we'd all be alot more comfortable and happy. This 8 time vet is debating ending my relationship with Coachella because of this, its about the only thing that has become no fun. But I've said this since 05 and I always show up with bells on. So, they are doin something right, just lower the attendance already and fix will call and continue to improve traffic (and book Portishead hehe) and you'll have your perfect festival back for sure.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 05-21-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

I've been every year except the very first.

This year was great. Was it the best? No Was it the worst? No

It was Coachella, and I love Coachella.

it wasnt as good as last years
    as predicted by nostradamus

It was alright. I loved the bands I got to see, but the heat was just a fucking kill. I'll definetly be there next year though.

The heat is always tough. But if you're physically and mentally prepared for it, it's worth it for the music. This year was hot, but I think it was like 2003 - whichever year it was with the Beastie Boys - that it was truly unbearable. The thing that sucked this year was that there was no breeze, not even at night. I only remember the wind during Tiesto - and that was cool.

They had lots of good bands this year, but they didn't have my FAVORITE bands this year (other than Bjork or Air), so I'm hoping next year will be better in that aspect. The art and recycling were incredible this year, and that put the festival over the top for me (along with some amazing performances by Bjork, CSS, and Infected Mushroom).
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Not at all. The heat didn't bother me and the lineup was stellar. I could have done without some of the Rage fans and the hideous traffic jams getting out of there, but all in all, I had a better time this year than in previous years.

I was surprised that the heat didn't really get to me or my wife. We live in the Arizona mountains at 7000+ feet. It was 55 degrees the day before Coachella.

On the other hand, we both grew up in the Arizona desert, where it's 120 in the summer.

99 degrees just isn't that hot. It's just mildly annoying.

The combination of filthy air and whichever worker spread cooties to thousands of people was unfortunate, I have to admit.

old school

Oh yeah definately. I much prefer the maze of vendors selling shitty asian goods for insane prices rather than the beautiful art exhibits & extra D.J. booths. I liked it alot better with all of the bottles on the ground too kinda like a moon walk almost. & yeah the lineup was crap, who likes Bjork or Rage Against the Machine, Jesus & Mary Chain, Sonic Youth & all the others anyway?

Just bullshittin. Kinda hard to compare, each one for me has been a different experience but the music has always been on point.

for me it was the best overall coachella experience i've been going to coach since 2005..

this year's lineup way better compared to 05's lineup, and last year i had car trouble that made me miss more than half of the 1st day daft punk ruled tho.

the only bad thing that happened this year was losing my friends key and having to pay a locksmith 200 bux after the fest. but losing the cash wasn't as important as losing a day or like some people were saying last year, their cars were stolen....

but i agree with what someone said earlier i go for the experience, not for just the festival. this was the only 3 day fest i've ever been to and by the end of the third day, i was totally confused and weirded out about how many bands i've seen, how many good ones were still playing, and how many of us(i.e. campers) decided to commune together in this desert/ polo field for three days, while the rest of the word is still going on.. it was overwhelming but in a good way.
    Last edited by merznerve; 05-21-2007 at 02:37 PM.

one thing i miss is all the t shirt vendors, and other artists selling their wears.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Yea, C DUB YA, I agree. I missed all the vendors. I got such better shirts and things from those guys than from the official Coachella vendors.

Wasn't my favourite year as far as who i saw, but i enjoyed myself more than any other year.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

The only acts I couldn't really get a decent spot for was Rage & Arcade Fire. I blame myself for the first one as I mistakenly thought that seeing Happy Mondays at the far end of the festival site would be a good alternative to standing in front of the main stage for an hour. How wrong I was .......
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Lurker

this was my first coachella,and it was amazing.Great weather,campsite was superb-full of friendly people who like to party,venue and stages were excellent,lineup was superb,all in all the place had a very good vibe about it.The willcall was the only bad bit about it,but hopefully it`s sorted out for next year.Definetly comin back next year,it`s well worth travelling half way round the world to go to this,not long til coachella 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuflvr@mac.com View Post
    most fans at all festivals suck, and plenty of assholes went all 3 days only giving a shit about one band. definitely sold out.
    Wait did you go to the same festival as all of us? Im just sayin... everyone i met there were some of the most down to earth people

There's never really been a perfect Coachella.

2004 was boiling hot and the second day (the one I couldn't attend) is the one that had all the good daytime bands, but had the legendary Radiohead and Pixies back to back, decent people, and was the year that made Coachella a household name.

2005 lineup was definitely weaker and pwned by both disappointing performances and the worst set times schedule in the history of festivals, but that was the year that camp became far more enjoyable and organized. It also wasn't overcrowded, and people seemed friendlier and Coldplay meant more pretty girls and less of a sausage fest. And let's not forget the welcome addition of the misting oasis. Anyone else shower in that waterfall?

2006 had a larger than usual "annoying fan of one act" presence, thanks to there being the third headliner of Madonna, and the attendance was increased from the uncomfortable 50,000 of 2004 to an unbearable 60,000. But what an amazing lineup. That was the year they finally got Daft Punk to play live, and we all know how legendary that performance was, and if it weren't for Coachella, who knows when they would have gotten around to touring again, if ever. This was the year that saw the end of the long-sleeved Coachella shirt. LAME. Dome tents were cool.

2007...nobody offered me drugs, but I was asked where to get them about 20 times, so it was the year of the mooch. No camper should have to wait an hour to get inside the festival, and let's not forget the will-call train-wreck of unprofessionalism. The second stage was running behind all weekend, and it wasn't until AIR that they got around to shortening sets. Somebody, probably in the recycling tent, spread a cold to thousands of people, which is always a prelude to sinus infections, bronchitis, and eventually pneumonia for people with allergies, which were worsened by the dead grass and the cloud of dust that surrounded the camp every night. But four reunions! And JARVIS COCKER! And other good bands, too. The new artwork this year looked really cool, but didn't offer much shade, and the new dj stage made listening to main-stage acts from the back of the massive crowd really difficult. Oh yeah, RAGE FANS.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

2007 had the greatest single day Sahara Tent lineup ever. It will forever be known as, BLACK SATURDAY. Alternatively, BLCKSTRDY.