View Poll Results: Which Board Member Do You Want To Hit The Most?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • TheLastGreatMan

7 14.89%
  • DeltaSigChi

11 23.40%
  • Psychic Friend (she's into that sort of thing)

3 6.38%
  • TomAz

4 8.51%
  • Bug on your lip

1 2.13%
  • Full On Idle

1 2.13%
  • Suprefan

6 12.77%
  • Ewiggy

3 6.38%
  • Yablonowitz

7 14.89%
  • SubBass

4 8.51%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Board Member's Head Would You Most Like To Go Upside Of?

Default Re: Which Board Member's Head Would You Most Like To Go Upside Of?

Oh, and don't forget he lacks a proper education.

Tom, go back to page 2 and I lay out pretty clear and detailed ideas for specific changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    in the end, without cutting my hair, I could go to school, go to the “teen club”, and that was it … I couldn’t go to the bowling alley, shopping or any of the normal things on base at all … I did it for my two years I was there and just gave them the finger every chance I could … …
    Cooliosaur was the OG Badass
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Fuck it, here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    The entire educational system needs a massive overhaul. All that it is right now is a facade to keep kids off the streets and teach them socialization, the supposed "education" is largely irrelevant after 6th grade or so. All high school is classes to prepare you for the classes you'll have to take in college that will all end up being completely worthless when they graduate.

What we should be doing with the public schools is (a) completely changing the reading curriculum to focus on books that might actually engage children's desire to read instead of stuffing Shakespeare and Dickens and other "classics" that only make sense to 90 percent of them because the entire English class is spent by the teacher explaining whatever chapters they read last night back to them.

(b) Shift the focus of the entire history department off of early American History (I dunno about y'alls, but my school required two years American History that ended around Vietnam and only one year World History that ended sometime in the 16th century) and start designing the curriculum to trace the broader trends throughout history and their specific relevance to current events. Learn the past through the present, so to speak, so that maybe a single 18 year old in this country would understand anything about how the situation in the middle east came to be, or know what happened during the entire decade of the 1980s, or 90s for that matter.

(c) Make all maths above algebra 2 (if that far) completely optional. Instead, make at least one of each of the following courses mandatory: philosophy, sociology, psychology, government, macroeconomics, and a couple others, you get the idea. Oh and logic--classes in logic must be mandatory, because I'm fucking tired of arguing with people who don't know the basic principles of true and valid arguments.

All that the schools do know for the most part is train children to copy notes (at least 25 percent of all class time in my school). regurgitate said material in a five-paragraph essay (another 25), and memorize shit for the sake of academia that isn't even interesting academically.

I'm all for paying the teachers more under that system, but they need to be subject to reviews like any other job, and if they're bad they get fucking fired. They all have jobs during the summer, they're making out just fine as it is and with job security found in no other industry on this planet. The reason no one ever votes to put more money into the school budgets is because we all remember how fucking useless it was.

LGM, you're being redundant. If you can't sway some one with your initial argument, simply repeating it is going to get you no where.

I don't think Tom saw it, Algunz, otherwise his question wouldn't have made much sense. But I may be wrong.

Fuck it, here you go.
    got it. I think that's a great approach. If you want an educational system that produces an even greater proportion of selfish, indulgent, lazy little shits than it does now, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    LGM, you're being redundant. If you can't sway some one with your initial argument, simply repeating it is going to get you no where.
    no this was me. this time.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    got it. I think that's a great approach. If you want an educational system that produces an even greater proportion of selfish, indulgent, lazy little shits than it does now, that is.
    I fail to follow how curriculum choices are going to effect their social development. Fill me in? Actually nevermind, I think this discussion has run its course.

i love how caitlin voted for greg...thats cute
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

Of course, I hope you wouldn't be swayed that easily TomAz.

LGM -
    A) How do you know what books are being read in school today? Also, no matter what books a teacher chooses there will always be those that will not connect to their content. It's not what they read, it's how the material is presented.

B) You can't learn history through present trends if you don't have a prior base understanding of past history.

C) I'm all for your math suggestion though. Right now at my school, they have all 7th graders in Algebra. It's so sad to see so many just drowning.

I actually chose my college because there was no math requirement. But, they have since changed that rule.

I somewhat agree with "b" and "c," but not "a." I love my classic literature.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

C) I'm all for your math suggestion though. Right now at my school, they have all 7th graders in Algebra. It's so sad to see so many just drowning.

I actually chose my college because there was no math requirement. But, they have since changed that rule.
    why is it OK to be bad at math and not bad at reading? Illiteracy is a societal shame, but innumeracy is like a badge of honor with a lot of people.

I only had one math requirement at college.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Of course, I hope you wouldn't be swayed that easily TomAz.

LGM -
    A) How do you know what books are being read in school today? Also, no matter what books a teacher chooses there will always be those that will not connect to their content. It's not what they read, it's how the material is presented.

B) You can't learn history through present trends if you don't have a prior base understanding of past history.

A) I know what books were being read as of about three years ago. Maybe it's changed significantly since then, but I doubt it. I remember in junior high they made us read THREE fucking books about boys and their dogs. That was great. I fucking loved that. Cocksuckers.

And it is absolutely about what they read. How the fuck can you even say that? The books you force children to read in English classes are irrelevant now? Sure, there will always be some children that will not connect to a book, that's a given, not an argument. But one can rather easily determine that Shakespeare is going to strike less of a chord with most short-attention spanned students who can't understand the very language of the play anyway than, say, Catcher In The Rye which still hooks a decent number of kids despite being utter tripe.

B) We're talking about history classes, of course the goal is to understand the past. But the fact is that moving chronologically throughout all time isn't necessarily the most relevant or effective approach. History is only relevant in demonstrating repeating trends that we can use to predict the future, and America's short lifespan makes it a lesser resource for these trends. What I'd propose would be explaining American history by going through each phase of our country's development and then demonstrating how the trends and results could have been predicted (or, more rarely, how they defied) through examples in world history. I do not think you need to go from the beginning of civilization up to present day in a straight line, and we'd be better suited organizing the curriculum by levels of relevance to current day. There's no reason you can't cover the same amount of material using this different structure, and in my version kids would understand what's happened in our country since 1970.

A) what do you want them to read? Bukowski? James? get specific. rather than bitch about having to read Ol Yeller, give specific concrete examples of books you think schoolchildren should be reading.

B) or hell, we could just teach them Engel's dialectics.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

i don't know what shitass schools you all went to, but i had a) wonderful teachers and b) relevant coursework.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Anything written after the year 1900--my actual choices would probably never be allowed. Although I don't see why we can't get away with Catch-22, and my school was known to assign Cuckoo's Nest and Slaughterhouse Five, so why not branch out a little bit more in those authors, throw Cat's Cradle on top at least. How about Bonfire of the Vanities, or anything else by Wolfe for that matter? Might not be targeted at teenagers but at least it's fucking good, and somewhat relevant. Maybe even a little John O'Hara just for the fuck of it--give 'em Appointment in Samara to deal with, it's a little slow but it can't possibly bore as much as Dickens. Anything by Richard Russo--either Empire Falls or Risk Pool are probably your best bets for getting at teens. Also there are actually a couple of sci-fi books I'd like to see thrown on there--Starship Troopers for one (if you haven't read it please don't bother responding based on the movie, they are two completely different entities I swear) as it would produce some very stimulating debate about military duty and government theory and democracy. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Stranger In A Strange Land would be both be really interesting choices too, even though Heinlein has a lot of story flaws in his work his concepts are extremely intellectually engaging. Melville's short stories were much better than his novels, throw them into an entire year of short story work, that way you get a wide variety of subject matters and if the students aren't responding to a piece it won't be wasting 5 weeks of class time for them.

good, that way, any thinking done prior to 1900 is completely disregarded as irrelevant.

Corinna, remember that whole "you have the worst taste on the planet" discussion we had, which is why we don't talk anymore? That applies here--your opinion about more or less absolutely everything is incorrect, from what I can tell. Except refusing to send me those pictures, that was a good call.
    Last edited by thelastgreatman; 05-18-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    good, that way, any thinking done prior to 1900 is completely disregarded as irrelevant.
    Why must you take everything in absolutes? All I'm saying is from grade 7-12 the ration of shit written prior to 1900 against modern was ridiculous, like 15:1. Let's at least spend half our time in this century, and again I'd like to see more focus on truly recent authors that might still be writing, and thus could engage students to want to follow their career, making a literature fan out of them. The key is that we get them interested in reading again.

"What I'd propose would be explaining American history by going through each phase of our country's development and then demonstrating how the trends and results could have been predicted (or, more rarely, how they defied) through examples in world history." LGM

I guess I'm a bit confused as to how that is not how they are teaching history. I can't think of one class where, despite the route book work students are forced to do by the state because of the overwhelmingly sad emphasis on test scores, my teacher didn't in some aspect connect it to contemporary history.

"throw them into an entire year of short story work, that way you get a wide variety of subject matters and if the students aren't responding to a piece it won't be wasting 5 weeks of class time for them." LGM

I would love to teach that class, but once again because of the over emphasis on test scores more creative curriculums such as that are being pushed out of our schools.

Is it really the teachers fault? Or is that those in power, who no longer have any connection to what is going on in the classroom, are making decisions about how things should be taught.

I would love to teach that class, but once again because of the over emphasis on test scores more creative curriculums such as that are being pushed out of our schools.

Is it really the teachers fault? Or is that those in power, who no longer have any connection to what is going on in the classroom, are making decisions about how things should be taught.
    the emphasis on test scores comes from the public, not administrators. people got sick of all the 'why can't johnny read?' and 'japan will overtake america' stories in the 80s and demanded some accountability from the public education system it was funding with its tax dollars. no one has figured out how to assure the schools are performing without measuring that performance somehow. And no one has figured out a better way to measure performance than to measure what the kids are actually learning. And no one has figured out a better way to do that other than standardized testing.

I'm not saying it's solely the teachers personally, I said the school system, although a lot of the teachers are cunts, sorry. And I really don't see why short stories would be any less test preparation than novels. Clue me in as to what the fuck kinda sense you were trying to make there?

As far as the history goes, I'm saying change the priority of how the material is presented from chronology to relevancy. Half of my American history classes were completely useless knowledge, truly were, but because the system was designed to explain what happened from this year to this year we had to go through it. I want the curriculum structured by themes and let them jump in time, not by time itself. Teach that which is most important first, not which came first first.

Yes, I understand why we have standardized testing, but there's so much more that goes into a child's education and development that have little to nothing to do with what the teacher is doing. Why does it all fall on the teacher's shoulders? At least that is how it feels sometimes.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

to be fair, the non-AP classes were beyond retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

As far as the history goes, I'm saying change the priority of how the material is presented from chronology to relevancy. Half of my American history classes were completely useless knowledge, truly were, but because the system was designed to explain what happened from this year to this year we had to go through it. I want the curriculum structured by themes and let them jump in time, not by time itself. Teach that which is most important first, not which came first first.
    Chronology is objective, importance and relevancy are subjective. If it was the Christian Right determining what was 'important' and 'relevant', would you still believe this was the best way to go?

A class dealing with short stories would most certainly meet the California Standards. But a class like that would be considered an elective, and therefore would be the last to get funding and most likely would be dropped quickly.

I used to teach a class on film history and theory. It was awesome. But despite how much they learned, and several of those students have gone on to film school, it was not an "English" class. It lasted two years.

Algunz--you are still talking about standards, when what I am talking about is completely changing the standards. And it's not the individual teachers' faults that the material sucks, it's their fault that they generally suck at presenting it, and also that they're largely cunty.

Tom--Nothing in history is objective. Just because it moves chronologically doesn't mean it's covering everything fairly or accurately. I don't even think you actually believed this statement when you wrote it--you know better. History classes currently move chronologically but leave out vast sections of the world that are just now becoming extremely relevant. The illusion of objectivity is a failure.

Also, everything is subjective. Trying to teach someone without taking into account their perspective is a silly notion.