Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Music at the Gates

47 58.75%
  • Tahodeo Festival

33 41.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - MUSIC AT THE GATES VS. TAHODEO FESTIVAL

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - MUSIC AT THE GATES VS. TAHODEO FESTIVAL

Round 2 - Music at the Gates vs. Tahodeo Festival

Welcome to round 2 of the create a festival contest. Here the match ups last 4 days instead of 3, in hopes of people taking their time and putting some thought into their vote, because it's pretty important by this time.

So take some time to look past headliners, listen and explore the smaller bands, and take whatever else into account and then cast your vote. Each winner of a round 2 match up will BE REQUIRED to submit set times for the next round. I'll be contacting each winner personally to give them more info on that and the time frame. Failure to submit set times results in you being forced out of the tourney.

Remember, no alias (or those I suspect are aliases) votes, and no one under 100 posts is allowed to vote either. Enjoy.

Music at the Gates:

Tahodeo Festival:

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - MUSIC AT THE GATES VS. TAHODEO FESTIVAL

i seriously need to learn how to look past tahodeo's pristine posterwork.

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - MUSIC AT THE GATES VS. TAHODEO FESTIVAL

i can't help but like the balance of punk, indie and hip hop that tahodeo has.
    i like it. i have to go with it.

OK I have issues with Tahodeo, cause NOFX AND Me First is kind of weird on the same day since members are interchangeable but still interesting cause you get to see Fat Mike doing his thing. Also Day 3 has some "problems" per say. So CSNY gets 3rd tier? Weezer doing Pinkerton is a cool idea, but I dont know. And is the reunion Jets To Brazil? CAuse if it is why are they so low? Or was it a "sneak in?" I'm thinking it over

is that nessie in the background there?

people...it's PIXIES...not THE PIXIES

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    is that nessie in the background there?
    Good eye, I think it is. And yeah its PIXIES. And I think Sufjan is our "Fiona/Muse" for this round.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    alot of bands have problems with that though like Descendents, Ramones, Beauty Pill. i think if you're willing to put them on your poster though you'd want to check for how their name is put on the poster.

Talking Heads, Arcade Fire.

CSNY that low? I don't think so. Tahodeo does have the Aquabats, but I'm gonna have to go with Music at the Gates.

this is a fairly good matchup, im gonna have to think it over

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    Talking Heads, Arcade Fire.
    Meat Puppets
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Oh and I guess its a reunion rule being broken on Tahodeo. Leftfield is the main reunion with Jets To Brazil as the "sneak in". Again another example of really looking over a line up and checking backround on artists for current status.

Tahodeo has some serious billing order issues. Pixies over Michael Jackson? only in indieland.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Oh shoot another reunion violation. Frou Frou "broke up" in 2003. And yeah I am with you on that Tom, love or hate MJ he still is headline worthy just on it being him.

Tahodeo would of been perfect for that trio from aberdeen (if they were still around)...

yeah what the hell. 3 reunions?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Oh shoot another reunion violation. Frou Frou "broke up" in 2003. And yeah I am with you on that Tom, love or hate MJ he still is headline worthy just on it being him.
    he's headline 'worthy' because he would demand it in his contract, and get it.

ugh i wish i could re-vote. i forgot gates had the dismemberment plan.

if you wanna change your vote, either post here or PM me to confirm it.

if you wanna change your vote, either post here or PM me to confirm it.
    yeah i'd definately like to change. sorry about that.

alright, i'll make a note of it

Boredoms would seal the deal for me, even if there were nothing else. I also like the poster better, and I really enjoy the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I love day 3 of Tahodeo, outside of MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by I Can't Feel My Face View Post
    i can't help but like the balance of punk, indie and hip hop that tahodeo has.
    i like it. i have to go with it.
    "Balance"? One or two hip-hop artists per day is balance? There is an interested punk/punk-pop tendency but the bands included trend too late for to grab me that deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    OK I have issues with Tahodeo, cause NOFX AND Me First is kind of weird on the same day since members are interchangeable but still interesting cause you get to see Fat Mike doing his thing.
    Such things aren't supposed to happen. Each individual is supposed to only be allowed to play once per day.

It's stuff like this and the various reunions slipping in that hopefully menik's intern can help with next year. Or maybe next time there needs to be a lineup deadline (without showing the reunions) and then menik publishes the list of all artists in alphabetical order and gives us several days to pick through it and say who doesn't work.

Also it's Boredoms. Also it's The Books.

Tahodeo is a fine looking poster.

My vote is quite undecided at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

yeah, Tahodeo looks like a real poster...doesn't have that clean photoshop look to it...me like

curious if that guitar in the lake logo was created or grabbed from somewhere

okay thanks.

i'm changing my vote for a few reasons. i'll break it down.

location wise, i'm a big fan of summerstage in central park and for me personally, lake tahoe's beauty is in the winter and not the summer, so central park would be better.

headliner , outkast, david bowie and radiohead is a very tough combination. i'd rather see outkast together than Public Enemy only because Public Enemy have been active for some time now while Outkast hasn't played a show together for awhile. bowie and radiohead outweigh beck and pixies. i think the tahodeo curator made a mistake not headlining mikey jax, but even if you did he'd be very out of place. i'm not sure if he'd be taken seriously or would be considered a joke like Hammer was at Bamboozle. i also would've headlined daft punk and brian wilson over beck and public enemy, respectively.

supporting talent. gates has one hell of a deep pool of artists. one that i overlooked when i voted the first time. i think dismemberment plan alone seals it for me because tahodeo doesn't have one supporting act that can beat it. i think the punk bands on tahodeo would've been better supported with a punk headliner or top supporter like green day or operation ivy. the punk acts on there look lost among the michael jackson and daft punk fans.

the design of tahodeo is quite striking, but music at the gates is just much better overall.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    "Balance"? One or two hip-hop artists per day is balance? There is an interested punk/punk-pop tendency but the bands included trend too late for to grab me that deeply.
    there are many posters in the competition that have ZERO hip hop artists. the fact that there are any at all can be proudly given my seal of diversity.

I think its tough to find "balance" as it is given only 20 spots a day. And yeah I think diversity gives you lots of points in the end but sometimes skewing a certain genre like punk in Tahodeos case is cool and can gain votes because its just a different play on making a line up.I am still thinking this over though. The 2 reunion sneak ins are semi bad and its just plain hiding it since you place them at the bottom of the bill so it gets overlooked.