Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonnaroo

Default Re: Bonnaroo

Fuck 'em. If these dumbass kids want to get doped up, they deserve to get ripped off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

so i went down to Coachella with a girl who had been to Bonnarro.. I asked her a bunch of questions to find out what the festival was all about.. here is what she said and some things i remember..she went last year.

1. Be prepared to walk atleast 2 miles from your campground to the venue. She was in one of the outskirt camping spots.
    2. It was very hot and humid. She liked the Coachella dry heat better.
    3. She liked how everyone could set up a booth and sell anything. Lots of cool stuff to buy. Unique shops, foods etc. She raved about this the most
    4. Shrooms being sold everywhere (go figure).
    5. I guess they shut down the other stages, and everyone comes together to see the headliner.
    6. Crowds were very polite and she didn't have to push or shove to get close to a stage.
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

Crowds were very polite and she didn't have to push or shove to get close to a stage.
    yes im sure the radiohead crowd just parted like the sea to let her up front.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Please stop telling people what to compare festivals to. I was comparing them based on the lineups. I could give a shit less anymore how international a festival is. I don't go to other countries to go to festivals because they don't respect Americans. Then they come over here expecting the rd carpet be rolled out for them. As long as the lineup is killer & in the U.S. then who gives a fuck. Lolla was around long before either Coachella or Bonnaroo anyway so I don't see your point.
    because just being american demands respect right?

Originally Posted by shoegazer76 .....
    Please stop telling people what to compare festivals to. I was comparing them based on the lineups.
    Bravo. Line up, IMHO, is the first and foremost thought that goes into potentially going to a festival. That is what initially sparks the interest of the music fan*

Other things that play a factor in my particular situation are as follows:

1. Cost.. Can I afford to go to this festival? Can I afford plane tickets/gas/travel? Lodging(hotels/camping), tickets to the festival itself, food/beverages during my trip, etc.

2. Time Off work... Do I need to take days off work? (or school if the case may be) Can I take days off work?/miss school?

3. If yes to numbers 1 and 2, then I look at overall festival vibe/expectations. Would I really travel to a festival to see 2 bands? (maybe if they were not playing anywhere else or if the festival was going to be awesome)... Are there other bands I dont know about but can learn about ahead of time? what other things are there to do at this festival?

4. misc.
    I dont know if I could hang in snow. I may not be able to deal with my tent being submerged in mud. thats just me and may be a factor.

Overall we all have different reasons for going to certain festivals over others. I see no reason to compare apples to oranges when it really comes down to your particular tastes/expectations/desires.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    actually she did say the radiohead crowd was the only time people were jerks and pushy.
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

I actually thought the Radiohead crowd was cool. It was crowded yeah, but it wasn't that tough to get up front once they started. Everyone is pretty chill there. As far as dirty, when comparing to Coahcella it's a dirt bomb. Dusty roads, brown grass, nothing really maintained. But that might change now that they own the property. I don't know if they would invest in landscaping but it would help a bunch. Music is the main thing obviously but since I like all types of music and like to try new things I think the line up is great. Lolla does have a few years but I think they will be there within 3 years. One thing that Coachella will always have on their side will be the time they throw the thing. People will always say, "Well, Coachella had such and such here first" Not that big of a deal when you look over seas and see that pretty much the same headliners headline every major festival going on over there.

even though PF is semi obligated to defend coachella, she was pretty fair minded .... yes they are two different festivals and each has its better things then the other, and some things not as good ... my only gripe with coachella is they really really need to work on the in and out (burger thing ... thats just not right being imprisoned in there all day if you want to leave just for a while ... sure people will go to their cars and get trashed, but so what ... they do it inside the venue anyway .... cr****

Lurker

Did Roo for the first time last year (3.5 days + camping) and managed .5 day at Coachella this year (sat) so its not really a fair comparison but i'll make it anyway.

1. I'll take rain over heat anyday - though bugs and humidity suck. Roo was dusty last year up until Sunday night when the heaven's opened and we had the best non-music related exp of the weekend. We had tarps & tables set up and many others didn't so we met more people dropping by to get out of the rain that night than I ever expected. Drugs freely offered and for some reason a dude with a guitar and a towel (and nothing else) was hangin out. good times.

2. Coachella is soooooooooo much cleaner. At Roo there was a lot of wettness despite the previously mentioned lack of rain.

3. I like that Roo's stages were further apart. The sound bleed-over pissed me off a bit about Coachella.

4. Artists: Coachella fits my tastes better but Roo had Radiohead + late night hip-hop and djs.

Which brings me to 5 & 6. Seriously whats the deal with ending so early? Is Coachella more of a commuter fest than a campers one? And the way Roo is set up it lends itself better to the longer days. Open till 730 you have 6-7 venues then everything stopd for an hr for food, drink, more drugs whatever then the headliner comes on...and there is only one headliner a night as it should be. They end round 11-11:30 the you have another lengthy break before the late night shows starts whether it be a 3 hr super jam (not my thing), 3 1 hr hip-hop shows, or a 2 hr rave at 4AM with Sasha. I think you get more for your cash with this set up. Plus there are the Thursday night bands, the comedy tent, the live World Cup games at the cinema tent ect.

As i said I didn't get a full Coachella exp but it seemed like Roo had more to offer.

Stilled loved Coachella and I'm hitting up the 2-day Virgin Festival in Baltimore this year for further comparison (what idiot scheduled this on the same weekend as Lolla?)

you think Coachella ends early, wait to you go to Lolla. Done by 10:30 -11 at the latest. Still a good time though for the fact that alot of the bands playing lolla have their own private shows afterwards at a city venue or bar. I saw the Secret Machines last year at a bar that held like 200 people. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by krkst28 View Post
    1. I'll take rain over heat anyday
    You are crazy. Nothing quite liked having everything you own, mud caked and smelly. Ooooh where do I sign up.

Drugs freely offered and for some reason a dude with a guitar and a towel (and nothing else) was hangin out. good times.
    Not everyone equates getting stoned on mushrooms and drugs a good time. try listening to the music once in a while, jeez.

3. I like that Roo's stages were further apart. The sound bleed-over pissed me off a bit about Coachella.
    Haha, have fun at Virgin then, I notice sound bleeding at EVERY festival I go to.

4. Artists: Coachella fits my tastes better but Roo had Radiohead + late night hip-hop and djs.
    So it comes down to one artist and DJ's? Again, you are crazy. I'd much rather have a full bill of stuff I liked than one big headliner and shitty dj's all night long.

Which brings me to 5 & 6. Seriously whats the deal with ending so early? Is Coachella more of a commuter fest than a campers one? And the way Roo is set up it lends itself better to the longer days. Open till 730 you have 6-7 venues then everything stopd for an hr for food, drink, more drugs whatever then the headliner comes on...and there is only one headliner a night as it should be. They end round 11-11:30 the you have another lengthy break before the late night shows starts whether it be a 3 hr super jam (not my thing), 3 1 hr hip-hop shows, or a 2 hr rave at 4AM with Sasha. I think you get more for your cash with this set up. Plus there are the Thursday night bands, the comedy tent, the live World Cup games at the cinema tent ect.
    Um, its becasue of each festival's location. GV abides by the curfew because it puts them on that Polo Field, which beats the shit out of the Roo farm anyday. So I guess it doesn't matter what happens as long as it happens late for you then? Since when should it be only one headliner? Isnt a festival also about choice? For example, I'm glad I wasn't required to watch the RHCP. I took in partial sets of 3 artists during that time. That's a dumb statement. Isn't the World Cup every 4 years, and if Coachella isn't during the World Cup - how would they even consider broadcasting it? Your late night shows are more of the super jams, just like some of the Roo's line-ups are shitty jam bands as well, this year is better, but nothing compared to Coachella.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

hahaha

only Thom Yorke can part a sea

C-DUB, It's all about preference and some people think because you can do drugs more in the open it makes for a better festival. I for one was pretty freaked out that so many people were on so many different drugs but then again I was on drugs so it was probably the drugs talking. Coachella it seems a majority of the people taking drugs are on pills or smoking pot. Bonnaroo is every fucking drug under the sun. I saw people snorting coke right out in the open, taking acid, snorting brown stuff which I could only think of as Heroin. Someone asked me for baking powder. Baking Powder you ask, well they were either going to sell t to some schmuck or make crack. Special K, Schrooms, hash, anything and everything.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, there are many great things about Coachella and there are many great things about Roo. It all depends on what type of weekend you are looking for. At Coachella I don't want to camp, I don't want to be a dirty mess. i like going back to our rental home and chilling in a pool and jacuzzi and having a air conditioned bedroom to sleep in. At Bonnaroo I like camping and roughing it and being dirty for a few days. At Coachella I like the dance tent and the heavier bands and all of that. At Roo I like the laid back hippie vibe. It's all about preference. Like I said, it's all about the music. I like alot of fucking music so to me, both lineups are great this year. People really can't compare the two unless they have gone to the two.

right, having done both myself (I am swearing off the roo from here on out) I also like the "clean" nature of Coachella.

I do not like hippies. I don't like drugs

I like to hang with nerdy anglofiles.

I like air conditioned bedrooms and no mud

I like the Coachella line up, its always better for me - I want to see 90% of the acts year in year out, not so much at roo.

I like smaller crowds, after 50,000 though....

I hate hippie jam bands and their shitty music - I'd rather go to a week long, freakin Whitney Houston festival, than a Greatful Dead/DMB/Rusted Root/Phish/moe/Blues Traveler/The Allman Brothers/Jack Johnson/Big Head Todd/OAR/Rat Dog/Phil Lesh/Govt Mule/String Cheese/Widespread Panic/Hot Tuna/Umphrey's McGee/Yonder Mountain/Rhythm Devils/etc..

I guess I'm a snob.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 05-16-2007 at 07:53 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

TO GLASTONBURY!!!!!!!! SEE YA NEXT YEAR!!!!!

I will say this - the Comedy Tent at Roo this year kicks major ass.
    The Glitter Freeze

I also think its funny how Roo has mooched off of Coachella's line-up in recent years.

If you look at the first Roo line up, it was no where near what it is now. They have trimmed the hippie jam factor quite a bit.
    The Glitter Freeze

I wouldn't say they mooched off of anything I think they are making their festival more well rounded with adding bands like Radiohead, Tool, Wolfmother, Franz. Why limit themselves to just one type of genre. I think they want to get as many genres of music into their fest. Since there are only a certain number of bands out there that can draw a crowd, sure there is going to be an overlap. They started as a Jam Band type fest but realized that they could expand that. Unfortunately they will always have that stigma as a Jam Band fest no matter what.

esp with a name like Bonnaroo, sounds like a lost Greatful Dead song.

Yeah they have made it more attractive - and more rounded, funny how it doesn't go both ways - I don't ever see Coachella having Dave Matthews added - there would be riots.
    The Glitter Freeze

1 month to go and I'm going but I wish am going to London that week!
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

when does set times come out?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Fuck 'em. If these dumbass kids want to get doped up, they deserve to get ripped off.
    you sound like my fucking grandma you ugly cunt

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post

I like the Coachella line up, its always better for me - I want to see 90% of the acts year in year out, not so much at roo.

I hate hippie jam bands and their shitty music - I'd rather go to a week long, freakin Whitney Houston festival, than a Greatful Dead/DMB/Rusted Root/Phish/moe/Blues Traveler/The Allman Brothers/Jack Johnson/Big Head Todd/OAR/Rat Dog/Phil Lesh/Govt Mule/String Cheese/Widespread Panic/Hot Tuna/Umphrey's McGee/Yonder Mountain/Rhythm Devils/etc..

I guess I'm a snob.
    Actually I totally agree with you. Like I said last year was my first Roo and it was also the year that it came of age as a fest that reached beyond the crunchy crowd. I'm much more into indie, electronic and nerdy anglophile acts than the jam set. Love Root, I'll listen to DMB but the rest of your jam band hit-list bite it hard. And it's not just about 1 act (though if RH weren't there I wouldn't have been either). I've been drooling over Coachella line-ups since the first one was posted on the Dirty List (old Underworld mailing list) in '99. But at Roo it was much easier to choose who to see at which time and I was able to stay fo their entire set. But I also have no problem checking out stuff I've never heard of before.

Now that the Roo people own the farm I think they'll put a lot of $ into permanent upgrades. The VIP area at Coachella was pretty sweet though.

I didn't even watch 2 of the 3 headliners last year (Petty & Phil Lesh) instead hung at the camp or slept before late night action. And Sasha, Common, Blackalicious & Lyrics Born are definitely not jam. At Roo the acts start earlier, end later (11:30ish to 5AM or so) and the bands get to play longer sets so you get more bang for your buck (including thurday night acts). But Theres a stronger moment of, I don't know, hippyish communal unity when 75,000 are all at the same place at the same time listening to the same group for 3hrs.

Gotta say though though there is something exhilarating about flailing around in a downpour with 20-80k other nutters. And if your camping properly your shite stays dry which is why everyone was over at our place during monsoon season. And I'll smoke but I turn down all other drugs - that was just to evoke atmosphere.

If I ever get a chance to do a full weekend at Coachella i'm definitely staying somewhere with AC and a pool. Check here for a full review from Roo last year .

late-

The biggest problem with Bonnaroo is that it is in a Red State and I try to avoid Red States as much as possible.

Tool and The Police are going to kick ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    Am i supposed to be impressed with that line-up? Tool was at Coachella last year.. The Police are over rated.. Wilco is not really that big of a deal.. They played in 05.. The White Stripes are dope, you get one point. FF is just fucking gay, are you serious? They also played Coachella last year too.
    i'm not defending or dissing bonaroo, but what the hell is your point instinct? If I recall correctly, every headliner at coachella this year was a repeat of previous years. so again, what is your point?

1. Both line-ups are good - Boonaroo is NOT better because most of the bands do, or have already done Coachella.
    i don't get this argument. every single major festival has pretty much the same bands. have you looked at the lineups of all the festivals this year? Pretty much none of them have "unique" lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I still don't get why anyone would want to be out at a festival until 5 AM. I don't see that as a plus at all. I'm already tired at 12.
    you must be old or boring

right, having done both myself (I am swearing off the roo from here on out) I also like the "clean" nature of Coachella.

I guess I'm a snob.
    no, you're a wasp

Coachella Junkie

I also think its funny how Roo has mooched off of Coachella's line-up in recent years.

If you look at the first Roo line up, it was no where near what it is now. They have trimmed the hippie jam factor quite a bit.
    when you say "mooched off of the line up", do you mean they add similar artists that coachella has before it that year? If so, then its probably because those same artists are currently touring. It makes sense to go for someone you have a chance of getting to play, rather than a group that isnt touring (and wont play).

however, if you meant that Roo has changed their line up to match coachella's diversity or something like that, then dont read whatever I just posted above.

I think I'm selling my Roo ticket and turning my plane ticket in for credit so I can do summer classes.