Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonnaroo

Lurker

Default Bonnaroo

So I know how awesome Coachella is and am going to Bonnaroo but don't know much about it aside from the bands playing, 80K peeps in attendance & pretty much mandatory camping. anyone who has been have any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Default Re: Bonnaroo

thanks for another bonnaroo post

THANK GOD FOR BONNAROO! jjbaldwi Line Up/Artists 20 04-01-2007 11:29 PM
    Bonnaroo Anyone? I'm Rosetta Stoned Line Up/Artists 15 02-28-2007 03:20 PM
    Coachella vs Bonnaroo? Melissa Camping/Lodging 2 02-25-2007 09:05 PM
    Who will be going to Bonnaroo? xXThirdManXx Coachella Lounge 37 02-15-2007 09:57 AM
    Bonnaroo lineup ED GEIN Coachella Lounge 45 02-09-2007 12:17 PM
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

yeah 60,000 not enough poeple for ya - jeez - the extra 20,000 are going to be really smelly hippie type anyways.

ugh - f bonnaroo
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

awww... psychic friend must be upset b/c bonnaroo is soooo much better than coachella.

let me count the ways:
    *bands always stay on schedule, so you can plan your day by the minute
    *much better vibe -- no L.A. asswipes or celebs. people are so friendly and considerate to one another, it's jarring to re-enter "the real world" afterward.
    *you can bring food and drinks (even beer) into the venue
    *shows go until 3 a.m. or later
    *free water!!!
    *very clean bathrooms
    *free phone calls and internet (some years, in sponsor tents)

best weekends of my life!

too bad the line-ups or the venue aren't comparable though.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

psychic friend must be upset b/c bonnaroo is soooo much better than coachella.
    im not upset at all. i was just showing other bonnaroo threads. apparently searching is hard for you. I was just trying to help.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Bonnaroo will definitely be off the hook, I just need more camping gear for this.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    too bad the line-ups or the venue aren't comparable though.
    You're right; Tool / The Police / Wilco / The White Stripes / Franz Ferdinand all suck and the lush grass of the farm in TN has *nothing* on the lush grass of the Polo Field.

In other words, STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    You're right; Tool / The Police / Wilco / The White Stripes / Franz Ferdinand all suck and the lush grass of the farm in TN has *nothing* on the lush grass of the Polo Field.

In other words, STFU.

Am i supposed to be impressed with that line-up? Tool was at Coachella last year.. The Police are over rated.. Wilco is not really that big of a deal.. They played in 05.. The White Stripes are dope, you get one point. FF is just fucking gay, are you serious? They also played Coachella last year too.

Oh yea.. Coachella has better weather as well..

Sorry, but you just can't beat that desert sunset, with the beautiful mountains and palm trees surrounding it. Add some Justice, Daft Punk, Massive Attack and you they might have something.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    Am i supposed to be impressed with that line-up?
    I don't care what impresses you or not. Bonnaroo headliners play longer than Coachella headliners by all accounts and there is no city mandated curfew either.

The weather in SoCal is seen as a negative by most of the people attending who would prefer not to fry while attending the show.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

i wish that bonnaroo had the coachella line up this year because i would have rather gone there than to the ultra tight coachella!. bonnaroo is more like the uk festivals that i'm use to, might have to check it out next year, 3 reasons not to go to coachella next year
    1. will call , what a FUCK up, 5 hours to get some tickets, monkeys could do a better job with 5 min's training and the promise of a banana break.!!
    2. not aloud to take drink in the camp site, " there will be a bar in the campsite " aye right, only seen it open one night and it was full up!
    3. no pass outs, just because there to fucking lazy to give you wristbands to say youv'e been in already.
    and a 4th to fuckin hot!!!!!
    Last edited by fatboy192; 05-14-2007 at 11:44 AM.

1. Both line-ups are good - Boonaroo is NOT better because most of the bands do, or have already done Coachella.

2. The Police - I'll pass

3. The Coachella temp is a drag, but somehow its uncommonly hot every year, weird. I'll take it over rain anyday though.

4. Fuck camping.

5. Fuck hippie jam bands.

6. I don't do will call - so thats never going to be a problem.

7. I will say Coachella needs an in and out policy - that doesn't make sense to me that they don't.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Coachella Junkie

I think the point instinct was trying to make was that the coachella line up has more diversity than Bonnaroo. Which I agree with strongly.

I'm a huge coachella fan, i've been 5 times now. I am going to Bonnaroo for the first time this year so I will post how it compares when it's over.

My main issue with most line ups is there isn't enough electronica!!!! Only Coachella fills my need of American fests without going to a Techno only festival..

I've been to both, they are both completely different. Each fest has their own things that make them great. One goes to midnight the other goes to 5 am. one is clean and one is not, one has more electronica the other has more jam bands. To each his own. Just be thankful we have some great fests to go to. We didn't have this shit a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    I think the point instinct was trying to make was that the coachella line up has more diversity than Bonnaroo. Which I agree with strongly.
    Actually though I think if you take the lineups and catorgorize the bands by genres there is an equal amount of diversity. Maybe one has more electronica and the other has more jam bands, but as far as being diverse I think Bonnaroo has come a long way. Hip Hop, rock, physchedelic, electronica, jam bands, blues, are all well represented this year

old school

Coachella definatley impressed me this year with the upgrades they made. Replacing shitty vendors with more stages & art exhibits was one. Recycling bottles was another. This past Coachella was the best one I've been to yet & I honestly don't think Bonnaroo will 1up it this year. We'll have to see. I was one of the people ranting about how much better Bonnaroo was over Coachella for all of the reasons already stated in this thread. However thinking about it a little more I've come to some common sense reasons for why Coachella does things the way they do. For example not allowing re-entry. For legal & insurance reasons Goldenvoice does not allow re-entry into the show. I'm sure the city doens't wan't drunks & fucked up people driving around their city endangering anyone. Goldenvoice acknowledge some of the problems that the festival have but don't expect re-entry to happen ever problably. My big problem was how they directed foot traffic outisde the venue this year & traffic flow control. Both were very poor. All I gotta say to people that want to bitch about Coachella (other than will call particiapants) is now that you know what its like be prepared next time or don't come back. Its as simple as that. The real question is will Lollapalooza 1Up Coachella this year? We shall see.

I too am going to Lolla as well and it'll be interesting to see what they do. The line up is great, the location is great. The distance between stages I think is a problem. It takes about 20 minutes to get from one stage to the other. that's almost half a set so they need to work on that or at least the scheduling. I thought the water bottle recycling was a great idea and it wouldn't surprise me if all of the fest do something like that. Bonnaroo certainly needs all the help they can with cleaning up the palce. I think people don't bitch about the parking at Roo is because no one really leaves all 3 days. So no one really expects anything but mass chaos at the end of it. The re-entry thing is a good idea for those who don't camp. i can understand not wanting people leaving and walking around but I would think those who do camp should be allowed to go back to their tents whever they want. they paid to sdtay there, at least let them get a PBnJ if they want to. As far as music goes, not everyone is going to like the same thing. That's what's great about having a choice, don't go if you are not a fan of the music. If "Bonnaroo sucks" because you are not a fan of the line up, your opinion really isn't that valid. it's all a matter of taste. if you have solid reasons why you think something suck i.e... parking, no in and out, it's dirty, etc that is a valid reason.

I want to go to the roo one of these days, but i have no interest in lolla I do not like the way they spread out the bands (they put everybody worth seeing in the last three closing spots it seems), I do not like the huge gaps between sets, I do not like that there is no camping.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I am

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    ...... one is clean and one is not ......
    How dirty is 'Roo ?

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post

My main issue with most line ups is there isn't enough electronica!!!! Only Coachella fills my need of American fests without going to a Techno only festival..
    agreed to the max

Please stop comparing Coachella and Bonnaroo to Lollapalooza. Lollapalooza has a few years before it it can be compared to major festivals. It is pretty much all local mid western people who attend.

Coachella is a music festival for people who have a genuine education of music. Bonnaroo is safe environment for people to do drugs all weekend with music in the background.

Yes, I have been to all 3 festivals.

old school

Please stop telling people what to compare festivals to. I was comparing them based on the lineups. I could give a shit less anymore how international a festival is. I don't go to other countries to go to festivals because they don't respect Americans. Then they come over here expecting the rd carpet be rolled out for them. As long as the lineup is killer & in the U.S. then who gives a fuck. Lolla was around long before either Coachella or Bonnaroo anyway so I don't see your point.

I still don't get why anyone would want to be out at a festival until 5 AM. I don't see that as a plus at all. I'm already tired at 12.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I still don't get why anyone would want to be out at a festival until 5 AM. I don't see that as a plus at all. I'm already tired at 12.
    You're not a drug user.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

old school

Sasha & Digweed are a pretty big electronic act for Bonnaroo this year. I would much rather see them than Paul Van Dyk or Richie Hawtin.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I don't want to be out till 5am much anymore either but I'd prefer that to artists mics being turned off mid song and the roadie for the next group up shouting at the stage staff to get the current band off the stage so the next group can get in under the curfew. This happened to Gotan Project this year when they were on before TGTBATQ.

.... and as for the drug use at 'Roo, there was constant and obvious drug use at Coachella this year so let no one here point fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    ......... I don't go to other countries to go to festivals because they don't respect Americans. Then they come over here expecting the rd carpet be rolled out for them. .......
    Maybe it's your attitude that gets you in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    .... and as for the drug use at 'Roo, there was constant and obvious drug use at Coachella this year so let no one here point fingers.

There is no way anyone can compare the drug use at Bonnarroo to any other festival. It is unreal how many shady hippies come out of the woodwork to rip off rich suburban kids that weekend.....