Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clusterfuck Festival

82 88.17%
  • Gravity Festival

11 11.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - CLUSTERFUCK FESTIVAL VS. GRAVITY FESTIVAL

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - CLUSTERFUCK FESTIVAL VS. GRAVITY FESTIVAL

Round 2: Clusterfuck Festival vs. Gravity Festival

Welcome to round 2 of the create a festival contest. Here the match ups last 4 days instead of 3, in hopes of people taking their time and putting some thought into their vote, because it's pretty important by this time.

So take some time to look past headliners, listen and explore the smaller bands, and take whatever else into account and then cast your vote. Each winner of a round 2 match up will BE REQUIRED to submit set times for the next round. I'll be contacting each winner personally to give them more info on that and the time frame. Failure to submit set times results in you being forced out of the tourney.

Remember, no alias (or those I suspect are aliases) votes, and no one under 100 posts is allowed to vote either. Enjoy.

Clusterfuck Festival:

Gravity Festival:

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - CLUSTERFUCK FESTIVAL VS. GRAVITY FESTIVAL

I like the location, the poster design, and a majority of the line-up for the Gravity Festival. However, the Friday and Sunday line-up at Clusterfuck sell me on that one. Now what would the food choices be? I need my teriyaki bowl when I'm watching Section Quartet.

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - CLUSTERFUCK FESTIVAL VS. GRAVITY FESTIVAL

Clusterfuck here I come

Clusterfuck here I come
    I've uttered this exact phrase way too many times in my life...

I love clusterfuck but merely the poster for gravity is amazing, and then the line up. WOW. That is all I have to say. I will be there.

I can't find cheap flights to Italy in the summer.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

gravity doesn't seem like it has a lot of continuity.

i'm gonna clusterfuck it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

My whole life is a clusterfuck, i guess my festival should be too!
    I miss Bill Hicks.

Alright... Let's see...

Clusterfuck Positives:
    - Muse as a headliner
    - Prince and Outkast as draw-heavy headliners
    - Fantastic 2nd Row Bands on Friday... (Daft Punk, Trent Reznor, Interpol, Wu Tang Clan, The Shins)
    - and Saturday... (Thom Yorke, Gorillaz, Air, Mogwai, PJ Harvey (spell it right...))
    - and some on Sunday (Kraftwerk, the Roots, Tori Amos, the Faint)
    - Zero 7, MtB, Sage Francis, The Postal Service, EITS, Cold War Kids = goodness

Clusterfuck Negatives:
    - I don't get why Trent Reznor isn't just NIN and headlining over Muse... (as much as I love Muse)
    - He and Thom Yorke seem like ploys to sneak in NIN and Radiohead songs into the festival
    - I'm not all into Outkast really... and Prince is also not something that'd win me over by his lonesome.
    - ...And You Will, Mars Volta, TV on the Radio, Hot Hot Heat = no... just no...

-------

Gravity Positives:
    - Having the balls to not only book 311, Slipknot and She Wants Revenge, but all on the same day.
    - Tool and Smashing Pumpkins are awesome headliners
    - Incubus works as a headliner
    - The diversity of the lineup (it's more of a clusterfuck than Clusterfuck!)
    - A ton of bands I know and dig (SOAD, MMJ, Gnarls, Infected, 311, Gorillaz, Thievery Corp, R.E.M., Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips, etc.) with bands with huge hype (Ween, BT, Calexico)

Gravity Negatives:
    - Band placements on Friday (Why the hell is R.E.M. playing 7th fiddle to Incubus when it ought to be headlining? And why in God's name is Thievery Corp the LAST BAND on that day?)
    - Gimmick ska-punk acts that're 10 years past their prime (Slightly Stoopid, Third Eye Blind)
    - BAD New Age metal bands (Atreyu, Silverstein)
    - Really bad bands that get on my nerves (Coheed and Cambria, Lost Prophets)

It's a tough vote, but I'm going with Gravity.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I feel that Gravity doesn't understand the importance of many artists it has billed. I can't believe how low R.E.M., Outkast, Sonic Youth, Sigur Ros, and so many other acts are billed with the likes of Incubus and 311 hanging over them. If I could vote, I'd go with Clusterfuck all the way although I wouldn't want to see Muse headline quite yet. They are a perfect second headliner though in my opinion.

uh dude... you know you need 100 posts to vote, right?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Yeah the few who dare vote just to vote. You got lots of good points on either side Passive. I think putting Thom and Trent solo is a different way to present those artists considering their respective bands and everything. Of course it appears as a "sneak in" but its a good/different one at least. Who wouldnt wanna hear Eraser songs and then a couple of good ol RH tunes? Trent could bust out another Bridge School and do some hardly performed tracks with a string section or something of that nature. I do think that Gravity has a cool poster, the transformers logo rules. But yeah the way things are balanced with respect to each artist and their reputation compared to their line up slot was never fully thought through, and TEB should be swapped out and play in SF where they are from as more an homage personally speaking just on location. It was kind of just listed just to be listed in a sense. At least with Clusterfuck you get a sense of how they are billed and where you would possibly see them perform in a sense time wise. I like that Prince has finally been put in the mix(not to say somebody else didnt do this yet on another poster) but its yet another headliner that hasnt been shown yet to go with the lot of Radiohead/David Bowie used and whatnot. And Muse headlining is ballsy but it works and its not like they woudl really dissapoint in that because they have headlined Glastonbury 4 years ago so this is nothign new of course. Also does nobody think Sunny Day as a reunion just rocks? And to think the whole deal with SP and Sunny Day opening and then we see it on a line up poster I think is great. I guess I'm packing my bags and heading to the bay. And DP + Muse on the same day = EPIC

Edit: looking at Gravity again, yeah theres lots of bands I like but this seems to be another example of working the system with big names. How do you bust down Green Day, Sigur Ros, R.E.M. and The Fugees to 3rd tier?
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-13-2007 at 12:24 AM.

Gravity's poster makes me want to eat rat poison. Clusterfuck has Sunny Day Real Estate and The Dillinger Escape Plan. Clusterfuck wins.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    uh dude... you know you need 100 posts to vote, right?
    Don't worry I didn't, but I didn't think that meant I couldn't comment. I'll respect the rules.

Gravity has failed to pull me in.

Lost prophets, and no variety of headliners (Rock, Rock and thrice rock).
    To be quite honest, i wasn't blown away by the other one either, so it's a lesser of two evils vote). Good call with Absentee tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

edited for being too mean.

Clusterfuck has its own deep flaws (Muse headlining? Sunny Day Real Estate? someone's getting a bit silly) but it gets my reluctant vote anyway.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-13-2007 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Banned

Café Tacvba*

E

i think my big problem with this festival is the billing of these bands. when you design your poster in this fashion, you're setting yourself up to be judged likewise. Disco Biscuits should be billed well behind Gnarls Barkley, Modest Mouse and R.E.M.?! How did R.E.M. not get the headlining spot?

muse over the wu tang clan, trent reznor and interpol? that's probably the biggest glaring no nos. I have a problem with bands promoters like that are way obscure but end up getting a high billing because they want to force/expose this band to a whole new audience. my problem with that is i'm paying for a 20 minute set from Sonic Youth and Mos Def and a 45 minute/1 hour set from Pendulum? no thanks.

Clusterfuck gets my vote though because it actually thought about it's lineup beyond what sounds cool. Gravity is being held in Italy and there are no italian artists? There aren't even that many european artists! I don't see this festival really happening in italy. On the other hand, Clusterfuck has a great balance of american, international, eclectic and diverse artists which reflects the greatness of San Francisco.

Gravity Festival lost me at Slipknot, Incubus, She Wants Revenge, Silverstein, Atreyu, 311, Slightly Stoopid, Third Eye Blind, Green Day, and Slipknot.

Quote Originally Posted by I Can't Feel My Face View Post
    Gravity is being held in Italy and there are no italian artists? There aren't even that many european artists!
    This is a good point, and one I hadn't thought about initially. It seems logical that the location should tie in somehow with the selection of musicians represented.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Who is PJ "Harvery"?
    Hahah, I just noticed that, obviously PJ Harvey. At least the error is one letter and not the dates like some other posters when they were told to have i happen on those dates, maybe we are all geting uber anal? I wanna see scheduling since it looks like this one is going to win by a mile. Muse vs DP is a problem if they decided to see what fans what more of. Outkast vs Gorillaz poses conflicts. And Mogwai vs AIR would make or break a saturday schedule for me if they went on at the same time.
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-13-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Hahah, I just noticed that, obviously PJ Harvey. At least the error is one letter and not the dates like some other posters when they were told to have i happen on those dates, maybe we are all geting uber anal? I wanna see scheduling since it looks like this one is going to win by a mile. Muse vs DP is a problem if they decided to see what fans what more of. Outkast vs Gorillaz poses conflicts. And Mogwai vs AIR would make or break a saturday schedule for me if they went on at the same time.
    honestly i don't think that's fair. it's like you're saying two bands you like would cancel each other out. i definately think the staggering of sets would be important but really isn't that big of a dealbreaker to me in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    Café Tacvba*

E
    yes.

and I voted for clusterfuck because it has more of what I want to see, and much much much less of what I want to desperately avoid.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

Mercy rule should be applied on this one ... She Wants Revenge ... ugh (I never thought this is going to happen) with 311, Third Eye Blind, Green Day arrrgggggggg ... then the disrespect to R.E.M. ..., the poster (eye sore) ... on and on

this poster makes me sad.

it also makes my eyes bleed.

I actually hate the font on Clusterfuck

Too small (?) with the background too beautiful.

Why do some of the posters have sponsors' logos on them? It's distracting graphically, and doesn't tell me anything about the festival apart from the fact that they're willing to sell out to big business. Definitely doesn't make me want to go to the festival more.

Coachella Junkie

These are both fucking terrible. I refuse to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I actually hate the font on Clusterfuck
    goddamn, me too. i think it's papyrus and its an abomination. way overused.

also, friends don't let friends drop shadows.