• Stillwater Festival

34 36.56%
  • Alba Festival

59 63.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - STILLWATER FESTIVAL VS. ALBA FESTIVAL

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - STILLWATER FESTIVAL VS. ALBA FESTIVAL

Round 2: Stillwater Festival vs. Alba Festival

Welcome to round 2 of the create a festival contest. Here the match ups last 4 days instead of 3, in hopes of people taking their time and putting some thought into their vote, because it's pretty important by this time.

So take some time to look past headliners, listen and explore the smaller bands, and take whatever else into account and then cast your vote. Each winner of a round 2 match up will BE REQUIRED to submit set times for the next round. I'll be contacting each winner personally to give them more info on that and the time frame. Failure to submit set times results in you being forced out of the tourney.

Remember, no alias (or those I suspect are aliases) votes, and no one under 100 posts is allowed to vote either. Enjoy.

Stillwater Festival:

Alba Festival:

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 2 - STILLWATER FESTIVAL VS. ALBA FESTIVAL

pet sounds? sold.

I would get married just to be able to sell my wife* to go to Alba.

*Wife meaning husband.

Crap. I guess this didn't post the first time. Anyway, it would take one hell of a line-up to get me to vote against Stillwater Festival, but if these were my choices, I'd be booking a trip to Scotland.

Tom Waits, The National, Tori Amos, Basement Jaxx, and Margot among others, plus Brian Wilson performing "Pet Sounds" in its entirety. The only problem with this line-up is that the set times would break my heart if this were a real festival.

Stillwater has Nas, Daft Punk, Muse and the dance area for saturday and sunday. Looks like a really nice show.. Amon Tobin, Mayer, Ellen Allien, the Ed Banger crew, Evil Nine.. Totally awesome.

But it's not enough to beat Talking Heads, Tom Waits and Brian's Pet Sounds.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

oh my god alba was made for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

FINALLY... A match where I have to put a lot of sincere thought as to who to vote for...

Positives for Stillwater:
    - Tool and Daft Punk as 2/3 Headliners kicks ass
    - I'm sold on Nas, Interpol, QOTSA, Weezer, Muse as Major acts to watch
    - Friday has a few good acts (Amy Winehouse, Jenny Lewis, MF Doom)
    - Sunday is passable (Sonic Youth, Dresden Dolls, Infected Mushroom)

Negatives for Stillwater:
    - As much as the headlining EDM dance acts are beloved on this board, putting PVD and Justice over Paul Oakenfold and Faithless saddens me.
    - I can't stand the White Stripes as a headliner... ESPECIALLY if Interpol has to open for them... x.x
    - Weezer conflicting with QOTSA and Interpol with Nas is... well I'd not like it.
    - The lineup is dance heavy and I dabble in EDM... I think the smaller non-dance acts could have done with one or two more ads, especially in face of:
    - Jem and Wolfmother on Saturday and Editors and Nightwatchmen on Sunday are just... No...

-------

Positives for Alba:
    - Arcade Fire and Talking Heads as 2/3 of the headliners kicks ass
    - Brian Wilson is a massive draw
    - Muse, Moby, Spoon, Massive Attack and Tom Waits is pretty boss
    - Location is better
    - Sunday has one of the best balanced (Mellow-theme with Rap and Dance acts) days I've seen

Negatives for Alba:
    - Whats with Tori Amos getting low billing?... (that's over-lookable)
    - I think it's kind of odd that Brian Wilson is (in a non-direct way) being topped by the Arcade Fire... It ought to be AF -> BW -> Talking Heads
    - Who do you have play before Brian Wilson?... I'd suppose Spoon, but you have to pic carefully... Also, matching BW up with Muse would sadden a lot of people on the board...
    - Saturday feels like a mess... Especially with TV on the Radio, Brand New and Wyclef Jean all on the same day (that and nothing really interests me beyond Justice, Goldfrapp and Arcade Fire). That and I hate TVOTR...
    - Massive Attack v.s. anyone on the second line for Sunday besides Basement Jaxx = LAME

In terms of overall report:

- I'd go in really really REALLY late for Saturday of Stillwater, pretty late on Friday, and sorta late for Stillwater on Sunday. =/

whereas...
    - I'd go Friday and Sunday all day for Alba.

Alba gets my vote, just by a hair.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I would definitely go to both festivals and they both accomplish the diverse factor quite well, but as much as I love The White Stripes, Tool, and Daft Punk, The Arcade Fire, Brian Wilson, AND THE TALKING HEADS is pretty crazy.

Alba is pretty much the best festival I've seen ever. I might vote for it over the one I created.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

i like both of these festivals alot...im gonna have to come back to this one and vote
    ass on the grill

I am leaning one way but I shoudl think this one through a little more.

alba is the best one i've seen so far.

Hello Talking Heads.

Alba - would be perfect if only it didn't have Muse (who seem to be the 2nd rounds Fiona Apple), but it's still the best festival i've seen so far. Only 2 acts i don't like during the whole 3 days. Talking heads alone would have got me there, even if the festival was set in the centre of Bahgdad.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

both of these are better than Clusterfuck v. Gravity by far, I don't know how erik did the pairings but it's a shame one of those two hack jobs will advance instead of both of these.

Alba's lineup is almost perfect, let it be a lesson. It's got breadth, depth and perspective, clearly put together by someone whose iPod has more than just the latest Muse jerkoff stuck on 'repeat'.

I think if the maker of 'Gravity' had put the Alba lineup together, he'd have The Faint headlining on Sunday with Talking Heads stuck somewhere down in the small print.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-13-2007 at 06:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

pairing was done randomly

why is everyone putting kylie on their posters? ewww

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Why is it that, so far, more posters break the rules of the contest than not? Massive Attack, Tom Waits, and David Byrne (by way of Talking Heads) are all on the "three total, one per day" headliner list. The contest is too much fun to crack the whip, I realize that, but come on guys. It's not that hard to color within the lines.

Alba has my vote by a mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    why is everyone putting kylie on their posters? ewww
    i have to agree. the other kylie billing though was in the us and would've failed. this is in Scotland and at least is a little more appropriate. but there are many other pop stars that are worth festival billing over kylie despite the fact that she would be a big draw due to the infrequency of her performances now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Why is it that, so far, more posters break the rules of the contest than not? Massive Attack, Tom Waits, and David Byrne (by way of Talking Heads) are all on the "three total, one per day" headliner list. The contest is too much fun to crack the whip, I realize that, but come on guys. It's not that hard to color within the lines.

it's kind of disheartening when that happens because if this poster wins, it would be a fraud.

although i understand why the arcade fire is a headliner (because every festival would have them there) but i don't like it because this happens. the arcade fire isn't big enough to headline a festival of that magnitude.

alba wins for me. would you rather go to beautiful scotland or a small town in washington?

and big props for the matt and kim insertion. that would be an awesome set to see.

Well it was adressed last round and Muertos did win against the stacked line up. I was looking at it and I'm voting Alba even with that ''error''. What happens next round though?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Well it was adressed last round and Muertos did win against the stacked line up. I was looking at it and I'm voting Alba even with that ''error''. What happens next round though?
    Last round didn't have any festivals that broke the headliner rules. The spirit of the rules, maybe, but not the actual rules.

Alba does break the actual rules but I think not the spirit of the rules. I'm not sure what the ruling on Talking Heads would be. They're big enough to headline but they're not active so they weren't on the Headliners list. But I'd say that if you're allowed to use Thom Yorke and not count him as a Headliner even though Radiohead is a listed Headliner I think it works the other way around too.

But that doesn't matter, we still have Massive Attack and Tom Waits so that's invalid.

But the only other Headliner the festival has is the Arcade Fire. If Erik wants to be a stickler Alba gets disqualified now and Stillwater moves on. If some leeway is granted then Massive Attack or Tom Waits could be traded to Friday and it would be a valid festival.

I just remembered that Music at the Gates had two headliners on Saturday and moved and it was a "whoops" thing rather than a you're DQ'd thing.

ok, didn't catch this first time around either...the only rule being broken here is that both Massive Attack and Tom Waits are on the same day (Sunday). The Talking Heads is the 'reunion' band, and with the reunion band (whoever they may be), they don't count against the headliners list, nor the electronic headliners list...so you can place em anywhere you want, have em headline or put em on the last tier of bands, it doesnt matter. Plus, since the Talking heads fall under the reunion band thing, David Byrne's appearance with them doesn't count against the headliners list. Does that make sense?

But the Massive Attack/Tom Waits thing DOES break the rules. Unfortunantely I didn't catch it, and since Music at the Gates (which had the same problem) was able to move on, Alba can't be DQ'd either. Though it does seem to be a little unfair to all the other posters.

Anyway, next time this contest happens, I'm for sure hiring an assistant. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by I Can't Feel My Face View Post
    it's kind of disheartening when that happens because if this poster wins, it would be a fraud.
    talking heads is a reunion band. i'm pretty sure it doesn't count as a band from the headliners list because of this.

also, i misunderstood the rules - i thought it was just 3 bands total from that list. i didn't realize they couldn't be on the same day.

please have mercy on my soul.

also - stillwater, is vhs or beta the reunion band? they're broken up.

- As much as the headlining EDM dance acts are beloved on this board, putting PVD and Justice over Paul Oakenfold and Faithless saddens me.
    Huh?

- Weezer conflicting with QOTSA and Interpol with Nas is... well I'd not like it.
    Who says Weezer would conflict with QOTSA, and Nas with Interpol? The way I see it, they would all be performing after each other on the main stage...

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone disqualified over it. It's just slightly chafing because I worked fucking hard to follow the rules, and it took me a shitload of time just to assemble my line-up.

(Insert a "this isn't Nam" joke here)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

yeah, sorry, i spent a shit ton of time on this and thought i was paying close attention to the rules. apparently i just misunderstood.