Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man

Lurker

Default Burning Man

Anyone going to Burning man this year? ive never been, dont really get the premise but sounds interesting

Default Re: Burning Man

i actually desire to go to burning man, perhaps not enough to make the necessary expenditures though

I have no desire but the music concent and art are intruiging enough...

Burning Man is loads of fun. '07 will be my 9th year in a row.

The premise is unlike any other festival in the world (other than smaller burns that emulate the original). The attendees are the ones that create it.

The organizers set up the man, porta potties, a coffee shop and chill/performance space and other pieces of infrastructure. Everything else is up to the participants... and there are some amazingly creative people out there. And in my opinion it's the best party on the planet.

3 of us built this monstrosity in 2004

and then the wind had its way with it for a few days until it looked like this

There goes the ceiling

Also, it's pretty much completely on a barter system. Which is such a refreshing concept. But be sure to bring a lot of something to trade with - water, food, drugs, sunblock. Anything that you think people will need.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Also, it's pretty much completely on a barter system. Which is such a refreshing concept. But be sure to bring a lot of something to trade with - water, food, drugs, sunblock. Anything that you think people will need.
    don't plan on bartering as a survival plan. Bring absolutely everything you think you'll need. Bring extra if you want to give people gifts.

And supply all the drugs you plan on doing yourself. DO NOT talk to random people about drugs. There's a good chance they are undercover cops, some of which will be even more elaborately dressed or strung out looking than the legit festival patrons.

Well, that sux. Fucking Narcs!!

ohh i'd love to go to burning man. probably never will, though. :\

old school

I'm seriously considering it this year. I too have never been but I've pretty much heard whats already been posted so far. I've definatlely heard that the undercovers are fierce there & the cops are bad on the interstates leading into. Kinda sketchy but the atmosphere is worth the risk from what I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    I'm seriously considering it this year. I too have never been but I've pretty much heard whats already been posted so far. I've definatlely heard that the undercovers are fierce there & the cops are bad on the interstates leading into. Kinda sketchy but the atmosphere is worth the risk from what I'm told.
    All the talk of cops and whatnot is necessary only so that everyone is overly cautious. The truth is that if you don't behave like a complete idiot you'll be fine and you wont think twice about it. Just keep your drugs out of plain sight. You can't get busted simply for acting high. The spookiest thing I've ever seen is when I wandered off away from some party into the desert to take a piss and almost pissed right in front of two BLM rangers parked with their lights off. I'm not sure they would have busted me or not. Probably not. The cops are mainly out there to make sure any vehicle that leaves the main streets is properly certified, and to keep everyone safe. There is actually very very little visible authority presence and when you do see them they're generally good natured. They don't want to be dicks. Drawing burning man duty is considered a special treat for many of them and apparently the positions are highly coveted.

And be respectful of the locals when driving on the highways to and from. Do NOT speed. Don't dump your shit anywhere. Just follow the tips that are on their website.

oh man. this is just crazy. food water and drugs eh? sounds like im staying home. i try not to judge but this just sounds scary. no offense, just putting my perspective out there. yeah i burn it, but i dont glorify it. but hey, to each his or her own. just dont ask me for any change.

what on earth are you blathering about?

Some people have told me bands play every year. And I mean notable bands, not locals acts or anything like that. Like, Ive heard people say acts such as Phish and QOTSA have played at Burning Man.
    Other people have told me only no name bands and random acts play music the whole weekend. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Which is true. If the first is true, who has played before? And, if it applies, who is playing this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    and then the wind had its way with it for a few days until it looked like this

There goes the ceiling
    So it's a festival that looks like hell with random trash people created everywhere? I think ill stick to Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinboozer View Post
    So it's a festival that looks like hell with random trash people created everywhere? I think ill stick to Coachella
    that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Some people have told me bands play every year. And I mean notable bands, not locals acts or anything like that. Like, Ive heard people say acts such as Phish and QOTSA have played at Burning Man.
    Other people have told me only no name bands and random acts play music the whole weekend. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Which is true. If the first is true, who has played before? And, if it applies, who is playing this year?
    burning man is not a music festival. Phish and QOTSA have never played, nor has any band on that level.

There are no stages out there capable of hosting productions that big. Live music is very difficult to pull off out there because the environment is very harsh on expensive instruments. Even DJ gear gets royally fucked up there. There are some small bands that go out there, usually local or small west coast acts. We built a mobile stage to host live music last year and it's way too much trouble. The burning man organization does not help fund any music out there as a policy. That's not what it's supposed to be about. If they did it would give people the wrong idea.

Don't bother going if want to see live music.

I heard at burning man that naked people in clown makeup chase you around in packs and then pin you down and pee on you.

Oooh, I'm definitely going now!!! Finally, a dream fulfilled.

Are you any relation to amyzzz?
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

My curiosity would love to experiance it and for the most part it's because of the art like what we see at coachella but I don't think I could handle the elements...I love the luxury of a bathroom & Shower...and I'd hate to take all that silt to the laundry mat!!!

so whats the deal with burning man? where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    Are you any relation to amyzzz?
    I'm female, a mother, and my name starts with an A.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydz View Post
    so whats the deal with burning man? where is it?
    Out in the middle of the Black Rock Desert in Nevada.

I've always wanted to go to Burning Man, if not for any other reason then to say that I have done it. When is it, if anyone knows?

August - always a fun time to be in the middle of the desert.

Oh god, maybe I don't want to go then.....

It's actually mostly in september, the week leading up to labor day.

but people prone to complaining about weather are better off not going. The harsh conditions are part of the experience. I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, but nobody can ever adequately explain the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    It's actually mostly in september, the week leading up to labor day.

but people prone to complaining about weather are better off not going. The harsh conditions are part of the experience. I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, but nobody can ever adequately explain the whole thing.
    How hot does it get?
    I have always really wanted to go.

It is called Burning Man.