Thread: Some more questions from a first timer

Default Some more questions from a first timer

Alright, after reading the posts on this board, I've gotten a pretty good idea of how this festival works. There's just a few questions I have still.

I've noticed people talking about the weather, obviously its going to be hot, but what type of temperatures can we expect? I'll be coming down from Winnipeg, so whatever it is, it'll be a shock to my system and I would like to be prepared for it.

Secondly, whats the deal with moshing? I enjoy a good mosh pit and all, but really only in small bar shows with like 30 people. Big mosh pits and heat exhaustion spell the end of a good night for me, so I'm just wondering, what have past festivals been like?

I hope to talk to a lot of you before making the trip and meeting even more of you down south

Default Re: Some more questions from a first timer

It's usually like 90 degrees mid-day.

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USCA0512_f.html

If you account for Global Warming, it will be 110 Al Gores during the festival.

Lurker

its hot and dry during the day. Being out in the sun all day, dancing around and alcohol consumption all contribute to making it worse.
    At night, it can be cold and windy. It can range from freezing my butt off to not so bad if you're moving around. Best to stay hydrated and bring a light sweater for the evening.

Cool Re: Some more questions from a first timer

I went to Coachella two years agon when NIN headlined. I'm from Oregon.

It's extremely hot and dry during the day; I don't suggest you hang out in your tent all day; they had a few people get too dehydrated and had to go to the hospital. Bring LOTS of water or water bottles; there are drinking fountains you can refill but I wouldn't suggest buying bottled water there 'cus it gets expensive just like any other concert. If you're camping I would also suggest some sort of shading structure or a big tarp for over your tent (or even between two tents).

At night it does cool down but it's not cold like I know it in Oregon. It does, though, get so extremely windy there were a few tents each night that were blown away. I was so suprised by the wind at night.

As far as moshing goes, I didn't see a whole lot of that at all. The crowds are so big anyways that there's not a whole lot of room to be flailing your body around. Who knows with Rage though? I saw people dancing or just standing more than anything.

I hope this helps...oh, and Coachella is one music festival you will never forget!

Thanks a lot guys, that more or less answered my question. I've nearly ruined a few concert experiences for myself (and I'm sure a couple of other people ) by drinking too much too early. I think the fact that I'm not used to that type of weather and seeing as how I'm only 20 (lower your drinking age America), I'll be taking easy on the booze.

During Rage, I'd much rather get funky than get rowdy. Ok, well funky in a somewhat rowdy way.