Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Challenge to forward thinking Rage fans:

Default A Challenge to forward thinking Rage fans:

I've recently come across an opportunity to speak with Tom Morello, so far we've discussed how they handle their proceeds, why they've gone the route of a big rock star band, and their goals.

What I've asked of Tom is to step up and take it beyond awareness; to move from being messengers to being leaders.

In response, he told me that he's very interested in ideas in how to go about doing this, and I've come here for a brainstorm before I respond.

So far I've come up with the following:

-Find political allies within The House of Representatives and/or the Senate to begin the push for impeachment we've all been speaking of. There has to be some who believe in the cause, and a truly political voice is invaluable.

-Find and choose actual politicians that have the most honest and best of intentions, and show them support by using Rage's voice to bring attention to them.

I know their must be people in here with some interest in this, so by all means feel free to contribute while I continue to come up with ideas.

Default Re: A Challenge to forward thinking Rage fans:

Senator Russ Feingold.

And suddenly after a rock show, the Machine is in motion.

Try Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Dennis Kucinich.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    And suddenly after a rock show, the Machine is in motion.
    give it a few months.

Obama for '08

The murder capital where we murder for capital

HAHAHAHAHAAHA

The original post is a fucking riot ahahahahllolllerszzz

impeachment? why? bush would be out of office before anything was decided on anyways, so it would be a complete waste of money. why not just do what is free and vote to change things, it's really the only way to get the common voice heard...eventhough voting is a bit of a joke due to the electoral college, maybe 200 years ago it was needed to avoid corruption, but isn't it a little outdated now?

the best would have been for rage to play stagecoach...talk about a riot.

You should try to get SubBass49 involved in this conversation.

Personally, I think that they should do what they do best and write songs that address political corruption...but focus directly on cliche Neo Conservative public opinion tactics that fuk over any decent nominee election chances election after election in the U.S. (arguably the most powerful and influentioal nation on the planet).

They should point out all the fuking contradictions in the republican party and its tendency to care more about staying in power than doing whats right(usually by manipulating the Bible and Christians) instead of being Christ like and treating all humans (not just the rich) with dignity.

RATM should speak clearly to their largely young WHITE fanbase about how they should transgress their ignorant white republican upbringing and stand for something bigger, something evolved, something more human that thinks for itself outside the box instead of blindly being led by a corporate controlled media.

for starters...

Impeachment would be a complete and utter waste of time. If you want change it has to start from within, team up with political people who have the power to make a change, stop wasting your vote on green party members and stop pushing for a Nader presedency because at this point in time it will never happend. People need to start small instead of huge changes and be realilistic. And FUCKING VOTE!!!
    Ive got the demons in me, Ive got to brush them all away.......

Thanks to everyone that has been taking this post seriously, I've read around this forum enough to know the reputation of RATM fans around here, and for the sake of an opportunity to help form our future, let's put aside our vision of the average RATM fan.

While I agree that impeachment at face value appears to be a waste of time as mentioned above, if we let Bush go through 2 terms unscathed, what does that say about us as a population? I see it as more of a means to lead by example, to send a message to future presidents, than as means to punish Bush in a short enough time frame to make major changes before the next election.

It's one thing to attend festivals and start bands about hating Bush, but I can't help but yearn for something with a little more substance.

I agree that their songs lack focus in politics, they seem to speak more about their feelings towards it than using examples or pointing out some glaring facts. The latter would likely to be more effective.

Also thanks for recommending a few politicians already, they'll be researched and mentioned to Morello when/if I get a chance.

Once again, thanks for contributing, and keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by no quarter View Post

...While I agree that impeachment at face value appears to be a waste of time as mentioned above, if we let Bush go through 2 terms unscathed, what does that say about us as a population? I see it as more of a means to lead by example, to send a message to future presidents, than as means to punish Bush in a short enough time frame to make major changes before the next election...

I would consider myself an informed Rage fan when it comes to politics, economics, etc and I would like for someone to explain on what grounds the President could be impeached or impeachment proceedings could even be initiated. I would assume that an impeachment attempt would be based on the war in Iraq, but the war in Iraq was voted and approved by Congress. I understand that the argument is that the intelligence was manufactured or false, but that will never be proven within the next two years or maybe ever for that matter.

What then happens is a handful of people become inspired by Rage's message but take it the wrong way and start chasing their tail in circles like trying to impeach the president. Then those same people fall off and the message is lost.

So i think this thread and discussing different ideas to change the system is absolutely necessary, but if the one solution is to get people moving towards impeachment I fear it will be a waste of time and get people temporarily inspired just to be let down which would be an unfortunate waste of the positive energy Rage created.

Instead I really believe that baby steps need to be taken. The vast majority of the people that were at Coachella and Rage's primary fan demographic don't even vote. We first need to get everyone involved in the process- to take a hard look at the issues, candidates, parties, system, etc. To support someone who can change things- at least that's what I took out of the Wake Up speech- to start from the bottom and work on changing the system, not just the candidate. Lets not try to run before we can stand up.

The option to impeach this fuckhead died a long time ago, the only thing we can hope for now is that he realizes his constant vetoeing has made not only Democrats and Americans cringe, but it has even put him against the wall with his own fucking party. I doubt he will ever come to this realization with or without a "Rage Against The Machine".
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

OK...I'm here...lol

Wow...great opportunity here...allow me to think it through a bit.

1. Impeachment would send a strong message that hijacking the nation by means of FEAR will not be tolerated. If Bush is not impeached, it will send the message that his actions had no consequences, and his sucessors will feel free to attempt the same or worse.

2. The reversal of the erosion of civil liberties in America should be a priority. The PATRIOT Act should be amended IMMEDIATELY. Checks & balances are necessary to ensure that abuse does not occur, such as the abuses admitted by the FBI recently.

3. The FISA Court needs to re-establish it's place in American law. Bush has all but dismantled it. There are enough provisions in the old law in regards to national security that it would not handcuff intelligence and law enforcement actions. The warrant provisions were in place for a reason, and need to be re-established.

4. Equal rights for ALL citizens, regardless of sexual orientation, race, gender, ethnicity, creed, religion, etc. The idea that we could talk about "spreading freedom" around the world while seeking to limit it at home is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever heard of.

5. We need to fight terrorism with common sense. Antiquated ideas of military might are no longer effective in this world of technological advancement. Nuclear weapons are the cream of the crop, but so many nations have them that it's getting ridiculous. Counter terrorism needs to be conducted by smaller units. You cannot fight people with a suicidal ideaology by using a conventional military. You need strike teams and in-depth intel operations. EDIT: Also, we need common sense foriegn policies to make sure that we are not inciting terror against our own nation through our actions...the CIA calls it "blowback."

6. We need public funding of elections & candidates. AND we need to explain the idea behind this. Too many people say, "I dont want to pay for some rich guy to run!" but that's not the point. When you publicly fund election campaigns, you eliminate the favors owed to special interests and corporations. Our nation would then be able to enact laws and budgets without the pork barrel spending that takes place currently.

7. We need someone in the FCC with a backbone and an idea of what the constitution is all about. The FCC has become a tool of major corporations to push towards monopoly status for the PUBLIC airwaves. Ask anyone involved in Pirate Radio.

That's all I can think of for now, but if anything comes to mind I'll let you know.

Peace.

-- J
    Last edited by SubBass49; 05-02-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added info
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    1. Impeachment would send a strong message that hijacking the nation by means of FEAR will not be tolerated. If Bush is not impeached, it will send the message that his actions had no consequences, and his sucessors will feel free to attempt the same or worse.

-- J
    I agree with all your points except #1- it will never happen and even though the idea may be noble I believe it's a waste of time. But all the other points go back to getting people to vote. The only way any of the other ideas will happen (which they should) is for more people to stop complaining about the issues and go out and vote for change. Unfortunatley this has never occured for most average Rage fans. The biggest advantage the Republican party has is the ability to rally their core base to go out and vote. If it is true that you (original poster) has Tom's ear- I would love if you could talk to him about how to use their past and hopefully future music to inspire more people to become active in the voting process.

someone shouted "BREAK DOWN THE MACHINE" and someone else responded "THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING RIGHT NOW!" during Rage's set

I too agree with everything you stated SubBass, however impeachment is not the answer at this point, it may have been about a year or two ago, but at this point it is not imminent to impeach this idiot, we do not need to instill fear to those that believe the way he does, we need to make them realize that what they have been believing in is NOT the American or justifiable way. Everybody had a chance to clean this shit up almost 4 years ago and didn't now that we have faced the consequences we can now attempt to rely on a government, an army, and a country that is sick of this man's horse shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

if morello wanted to change this at a systemic level within the Government he made a good start with his college choice, but misstepped by opting for music over grad school; or at least his music. He already has it figured out, he plays to his audience, but for him to have a voice with leverage in a political arena is kind of a joke. Maybe in 20 years, but for now he is associated with the violent radical politics of De La Rocha and the violent ignorance of his fanbase. He should have joined U2 maybe? He and the edge have similar percussive styles of guitar.

If impeachment is not the answer, then our challenge is to look for alternatives.

Baby steps is likely to be right.

I will mention impeachment ideas, but for the sake of having a variety of ideas, lets stop arguing for/against impeachment and see what other baby steps we can come up with.

I agree completely with bringing the voting issues to light, that's a perfect example of something he and his band could have a real influence over but seems to not have been touched on well.

SubBass: Your points are all bang on, but I'm looking for things to tell Morello to do, yes these are topics he can touch on, but I'm trying to find ways to help him push for these changes instead of finding things to push for.

However these things are obviously important to spread awareness of, I think the best way to do this is to in some way sponsor or endorse some sort of political newsletter or website. Most of us should know about the website www.axisofjustice.org, the problem is many don't. I'm not exactly sure how to spread awareness of Axis of Justice, but if he wants its voice to grow, he needs to make it appear in the mainstream. It's one things to have a grassroots type organization, but I think it needs to focus less on preaching to the choir and more on making it's presence known.

Anyways, that's my .02$ please discuss and feel free to donate more.

Rage is a catalyst. People should look at their lyrics and do research. People should draw their OWN conclusions. If you feel compelled to do somthing great if not fan"fucking"tastic. People need to stop looking for leaders and start making there own decisions and follow their own minds....
    Ive got the demons in me, Ive got to brush them all away.......

Leaders are a valuable asset if you want to unite people. It goes without saying, the most powerful movements all had leaders, do I really need to point out examples?

Without uniting against the things that we want to stand up against, people will be more aware of their world, but will have no direction and little to no effect.

Conclusions do need to be drawn on our own. People do need to think for themselves. We're not looking for someone to blindly follow, we're looking for a public figure and a common cause to unite under.

Our enemies are united against us, why face them divided?

If impeachment is not the answer, then our challenge is to look for alternatives.

Baby steps is likely to be right.

I will mention impeachment ideas, but for the sake of having a variety of ideas, lets stop arguing for/against impeachment and see what other baby steps we can come up with.

I agree completely with bringing the voting issues to light, that's a perfect example of something he and his band could have a real influence over but seems to not have been touched on well.

SubBass: Your points are all bang on, but I'm looking for things to tell Morello to do, yes these are topics he can touch on, but I'm trying to find ways to help him push for these changes instead of finding things to push for.

However these things are obviously important to spread awareness of, I think the best way to do this is to in some way sponsor or endorse some sort of political newsletter or website. Most of us should know about the website www.axisofjustice.org, the problem is many don't. I'm not exactly sure how to spread awareness of Axis of Justice, but if he wants its voice to grow, he needs to make it appear in the mainstream. It's one things to have a grassroots type organization, but I think it needs to focus less on preaching to the choir and more on making it's presence known.

Anyways, that's my .02$ please discuss and feel free to donate more.
    Spreading the message to the uninformed is key. Colleges are a good starting point, but at the same time, they often are "preaching to the choir" type situations...either that or you run into the Young Republican brigades and cant get through no matter what you tell 'em. Better than hittin colleges & spreading the word would be hittin COMMUNITY colleges and high schools. Do outreach programs for high school seniors. Sponsor all-ages shows & events to help spread knowledge about the issues. If kids get the hint that Rage is involved, they're more likely to attend...especially if they're fence-sitters. Have voter registration booths/tables at the shows. Spread the word through Myspace and on the radio. Work to educate poor & minority students as to the power that they hold as voters, because their apathy about such issues is overwhelming. Stuff like that...
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

I can't believe what he said in Urb. What a douchebag.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Tell Tom Morello if he gives me personal guitar lessons, I will subscribe to all his political viewpoints and fight for his causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dangel View Post
    Personally, I think that they should do what they do best and write songs that address political corruption...but focus directly on cliche Neo Conservative public opinion tactics that fuk over any decent nominee election chances election after election in the U.S. (arguably the most powerful and influentioal nation on the planet).
    lol@arguably
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Try Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Dennis Kucinich.
    Kucinich is a fucking nutball and no one takes him seriously

I'd like to see a poll for how many voted for Bush in this last election. I hear sooooo much bitching, but he was elected twice. Why weren't people making a "comotion" when it really needed to happen? Whining about it now is useless.

Banned

If you need RATM to start your revolution you have already lost.

Does nobody realize that impeaching Bush would mean our comander and chief (although breif) would be fucking DICK Chaney?! You people are out of your minds if you think that is a better alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$ View Post
    If you need RATM to start your revolution you have already lost.
    Concur

While I agree that impeachment at face value appears to be a waste of time as mentioned above, if we let Bush go through 2 terms unscathed, what does that say about us as a population? I see it as more of a means to lead by example, to send a message to future presidents, than as means to punish Bush in a short enough time frame to make major changes before the next election.
    Exactly. It would most assuredly not be a waste of time. Let their corruption of the American way go unpunished now, and we invite even greater transgressions from future administrations.

If were all gonna get tied up in wars in Southwest Asia coz "they hate our freedomses!!!1!11!" we should also be dealing with the people that hate our freedom even more. BushCo needs to be called to the carpet. Nuff said.