Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sign of the apocalypses...

Default A sign of the apocalypses...

George W. Bush admitted his mistakes on national television.

Default Re: A sign of the apocalypses...

shit i missed it!

can you really pluralize "apocalypse" like that?
    Last edited by boyalien0; 01-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.

apocalypsi

Our troops in Iraq have fought bravely. They have done everything we have asked them to do. Where mistakes have been made, the responsibility rests with me.
    (crowd makes a sad "aww")

It is clear that we need to change our strategy in Iraq. So my national security team, military commanders, and diplomats are all getting the new Apple iPhone. We plan on sending the next 1 million toops equipped with the new iPhone, which will in turn, equip Iraq with... iLiberty.
    (applause)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

he is such a douche
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Ooops...That was a typo. Seriously, that speech went nowhere. It went in one big circle of sheer stupidity. Example:

I admit that it is my fault. We need to change the situation in Iraq. We're gonna change it with a plan. A plan that will work. When we execute this plan, the situation in Iraq will change, and peace will belong to the people of the Middle East.

oh man. I forgot about the speech. But we can't watch tv anyway. I'll just listen to the spin on NPR tomorrow I guess.

9/11, nukylar, troops, turrist, radical Islamist, blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    9/11, nukylar, troops, turrist, radical Islamist, blah blah
    All I'm hearing is "more troops" blah blah blah. I'm not sure how "more troops" are gonna get us out of Iraq, but then I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Maybe he's got the inside info.

I thought George looked worn down last night. The spin I'm hearing today is that Iraq is personal and that's why he won't admit to any mistakes. To me the problems in Iraq are political, not lack of military presence. Like Amy said, more troops isn't going to solve the civil unrest. I'm hoping this is where the democrats step in and have something to say and possibly block the deployment.

Iraq isn't personal, it's basically just greed interest. It is pretty much set that as years go by, Europe and Far East Asia are going to dominate the world market. They are just that much smarter than us, and their labor is that much cheaper than us. America is even lacking behind in new military technology seeing that all the new big artillery is coming out of Germany. America got rich for "finding" a big piece of land that was full of resources, but now we are getting a beat down. And the administration, and the administrations before this one, knew that oil is the only thing that can keep our head above the water. If we control the world's oil, than Europe and Asia will still answer to us... Well it buys us time, at least. We first tried getting the oil in a peaceful manner by making friends with the countries in the Middle East. We tried to politically put puppets as their leaders (look at the history of Iran post-WWII), but they sort of caught on to that. Then they overthrew our leaders, revolted against European colonialism, and set up a few Islamic fundamentalist governments. So, as a result, the only way we can get control of the oil is... Well... Messing everything up? It's a decent effort if you want America to still be #1... But it isn't very nice to other people.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

When I hear "more troops," I hear "possible draft" in my head. I don't want the government to steal my husband away from me to fight in a war neither he nor I believe in. That's my main personal concern.

Nah, they won't institute a draft. In the next election you probably will be hearing both sides talking about how they are going to reduce troops in Iraq, and I am pretty sure that in the time from now to then, they are not going to run out of troops. Both parties know that a draft is going to make us hate them, and the next election is too important to make that mistake.

Did Bush explain where he's going to get "more troops" from?

Amy, one thing you must understand is that there are still plenty of troops here at home. While most folks in the military these days have been overseas at least once since 2001, the standard fact is there are resources within our military that can be tapped. Some of the methods are common, but there are others that are unpopular and in some cases could be taken as manipulative, but that's part of joining the military -- you sell several years of your life to someone else and they decide what to do with it.

In the reserve forces, there are rules about how long people can be deployed. In the USAR, specifically, the rule is approx. 2 out of 5 years maximum. This doesn't reflect actual time spent overseas, but the orders a soldier receives. So, for example, when Steve went overseas, his orders stated he'd be gone for about 18 months, but he only spent a year away. If they wanted to deploy him again, they'd have to write out his orders for exactly the number of days left over out of his 2-year allotment, so about 6 months, but because of the laws regarding reservists' employment he'd probably only spend 3-4 months in country. This is a lot of paperwork for the Army, and the Army hates paperwork so they don't do this often. My guess is they might start doing that in special cases, but I don't believe it'll be a sudden rash of shortened orders.

What they do instead of shortened orders is offer the chance for soldiers who have maxed out (or almost maxed out) their quota to volunteer extra time overseas (and maybe a pay bonus for going over?). They also offer all service members who are almost done with their contracts a bonus for re-enlisting, and therefore beefing up the headcount. The re-enlisting recruiters are said to be twice as aggressive as regular recruiters, though. They even pitch it to people who have only served half their term. The military can also call up the inactive reservists, which are those soldiers who are still in the reserves but have reached the part of their contract where they no longer have to go to the monthly drills. This group has first priority to remain at home if there are a sufficient number of regular reservists who are fit to go overseas. And the least popular, most manipulative measure (I think it's more common in active duty) is basically keeping people in beyond their contractual terms. It's part of the contract that if the military has sufficient need, they can retain your service after your contract is expired. I've heard stories of people who get orders just before their contract is up and are deployed for 12 months after the original contract date. Whether or not they start doing this more, I have no idea, but as I said... it's unpopular and entirely legal.

I personally suspect the military will become more aggressive in their efforts to recruit re-enlisted soldiers and possibly expand the bonus for doing so, as well as offer volunteer deployments more often. Only time will tell.

Nice military lesson! Thanks, Alma. (not being sarcastic)

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    he is such a douche
    you took the words right out of my mouth

Trust me, Amy, I've been just as scared, and more so, when it comes to current events and their effect on me. I know what it's like and I've had to learn a lot. I don't mind sharing.

Hey guys, I said Apocalypsi. APOCALYPSI

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    he is such a douche
    The Grand Master Douche, actually. As douchey as Ragingdave can be, he'll never approach such grand levels of douche as that dude who's currently masquerading as our president.
    -----------------------

It's funny how times have changed. There really aren't that many troops in Iraq as there were compared to Vietnam and particularly WWII. In Vietnam, you had a draft military so it was easier for them to keep up the needed forces during an unpopular war. In WWII, you didn't even need a draft, really, people were knocking down the doors to enlist. My grandpa joined the merchant marines after being told he was too old to enlist, he was so eager to serve.

Now, you got a fraction of the troops from back then and those who are there don't want to be there and they have find all these sneaky ways to even get a relatively small number of troops, and this at a time when the US population is considerably greater than it was then. The moral of the story - no one thinks this thing is worth it and people are dying every day for a bunch of freaks in power.

And I'm just talking out my ass.

Hey alma - where did Steve serve? What did he do? Any experiences you can share? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

WOW Yablo, you just spelled it out, i've never heard it summed up that simply and precisely.

From CNN - Bush: "If you don't like my Iraq plan, tell me yours."

#1 - What are we doing here, comparing dicks in the schoolyard?

#2 - Umm...okay...a different plan...how about the exact opposite of your plan? As in, instead of escalating the war, scaling it down. As in the exact thing your generals on the ground have been advocating for awhile now.

Fucking douchebag.

i just dont understand it period. i remember when i was in junior high and all of this was unfolding i didnt understand it either. it didnt make sense that a terrorist organization not based out of iraq attacked us, and so in return we invade that country. i mean, sure we got rid of saddam. but if post 9/11 we had immidatly focused on bringing to justice those involved surrounding the attacks, instead of invading a country that had nothing to do with it, i have a feeling our world image would be a whole lot more legit and i think we would have had much more backing for such an incursion. as apposed to you know declaring war on terror, and invading a non-incident related country we already have a history with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    In WWII, you didn't even need a draft, really, people were knocking down the doors to enlist. My grandpa joined the merchant marines after being told he was too old to enlist, he was so eager to serve.
    My husband's grandfather was TOO YOUNG to enlist for WWII, so he lied about his age to get in. It seems like our values have changed.

Either our values have changed, or we're not fighting Nazis anymore.

People were lining up to enlist to fight in Afghanistan. the whole Iraq thing just fucked everything up. it's difficult to fully grasp the depths of the calamity brought on by the one dumb, dumb decision to invade Iraq.

speaking of dumb:

It is pretty much set that as years go by, Europe and Far East Asia are going to dominate the world market. They are just that much smarter than us

Does Bush think that terrorism will all stop if we continue to send troops? He won't call a draft, he's already in enough doo doo as of now.

If we are going to fix anything over in the Middle East, it's education. Kids are raised there thinking that strapping a bomb to your chest and taking out as many people as possible is heroic. If this is gonna be a long term thing, fix the new generation so it might eventually stop.

I disagree however. Biggest Dousche goes to Dick Cheney.

Our Government: The first time Bush and Dick don't go together.

I promise I'll get around to answering the rest later, but Steve served in Kuwait (the furthest away from danger while still getting hazard pay); his base was shut down 6 months in because it was deemed unfit for human life. The doctors asked how many people had been there more than 10 days, and they winced when most people raised their hands.

They told us not to try to have kids for about 2 years after his return.

In a recent interview, Bush admitted he should have toned down some of his language, like saying "bring it on" and proclaiming "mission accomplished." TOO LATE BUSH, you are an ABJECT FAILURE.