Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella sucks - Apart from the line-up

Lurker

Default Coachella sucks - Apart from the line-up

Sorry, but it's true.

The festival itself is horrifically organised. I felt like a sheep, not a customer.

There were only 2 good things i can think of about the festival: The Line-up and the quality of the toilets.

The campsite was bollocks:
    Absolutely horse shit how they make you camp in designated areas.
    No room for a communal area with friends if you have seperate tents.
    No alcahol? Do they even know what a festival is?
    A noise curfew? WHY?

The festival site was OK:
    Not allowed back to the campsite was shit, but i see the reason behind it.

Ticket lines for WillCall etc:
    Absolutely horse! 2 boxes for WillCall, when there were thousands of international visitors who HAD TO CHOOSE WILLCALL!
    3 seperate tickets for each day? Ridiculous. The amount of trees cut down for 3 tickets is phenominal!

Default Re: Coachella sucks - Apart from the line-up

There is a reasonable explanation for each of your concerns, but I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay too lazy to type it all out.

Thus, HAHA!
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by MaliciousMike View Post
    No alcahol?
    Some of the people are disruptive enough. I dont think alcohol would help that out. And you can get beer inside of the festival.

A noise curfew? WHY?
    People need sleep. I see no problem with a noise curfew. You have all day to party anyway, so show some manners to the majority of people who are tired at the end of the day.

as for the will call line, I agree, from the complaints I have heard, that could have been organized much better.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

::lays the violin:::
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    What the fuck do you know about Madison Square Garden you Orange County twat?
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    And I'm just gonna tell you all this right now, and you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to, but Daft Punk isn't playing next year, so just shut up about it now and save yourself from wasting anymore time on the thought of it.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

Mike don't be so malicious. The only complaint I can empathize with would be that will call line. I felt for you kids who had to wait in that vacuum.

Coachella is an extremely well organized and well put together festival.

Crowd control, crowd safety and sanitation are 99.99% of the festivals focus once you've purchased your ticket. The line-up is why you purchase the ticket.

Goldenvoice isn't concerned with the things you personally think will enhance your good time. They're concerned with keeping over 100,000 people safe so they don't get sued.

They did an incredible job all around.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

about the alcohol: it wasn't hard to get that in at all. if you'd used your eyes, and maybe your brain, you would've seen that 9 out of 10 campsites had an overabundance of liquor.

i think goldenvoice did an incredible job organizing a festival this big. i have absolutely no complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

No complaints here. We had plenty and plenty of alcohol and all our campers were underage.

and i would have to say how thoroughly impressed i was with the organization of it. i would say well done to gv.
    carpe diem.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

If you think Coachella is unorganized then you must not have ever attended a festival before. It's very organized and it works beautifully which is why I would attend even if the line up wasn't spectacular.

I was going to argue each of your points but i'll pass. Alcohol and drugs were plentiful both inside and out of the festival. Camping had showers, not sure how many times you have been camping but most camping i've done has been without those luxaries. For fuck sake they even had a general store and hot fresh food.

Camping??? How the fuck was it difficult to camp with all of your friends? I didn't arrive until Saturday afternoon and I was able to camp right next to where the dozen or so folks I met with camped. The camp councelors even asked if I needed help finding those I was meeting.

You obviously just don't like festivals. Honestly. If you are simply calling the festival site OK. Then I think you lost every single one of us with that one. Perfectly laid out seperation of stages. Lush green grass throughout, no dirt or rocks or pavement ANYWHERE in site. How do they keep those grounds so green? A backdrop of mountians and palm trees?

I'm sorry but you are out of your mind. Please stay home next time lol omg wtf lollelrssze

Lurker

I have to agree with some of the points. The festival was excellent, but I thought the organisation was a bit haphazard. For example - the will call line - 4 hour wait to pick up tickets is ridiculous. Terribly organised. But then compare that to the campsite with designated areas? What is that about?!! maybe just a little OVER-organised. I couldn't believe my ears when I was being SHOWN where to put my tent up!
    And police enforcing a noise curfew in the campsite! I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not.. It was like martial law. "Return to your tents and sleep or you will be arrested." I was pissing myself.

I see that you are from the UK too. I think maybe we're used to the festivals over here mate... I thought it was an amazing festival though, the little differences from the UK festivals wasn't enough to put me off. I'll be back next year. With alcohol for the campsite this time...

OMG.. I can't believe people are calling Coachella unorganized.. Shit, it's the most organized festival i've been too.. Also, this is NOT EUROPE, I'm sure it's more liberal over there, but Goldenvoice does have to deal with State Laws. I'm pretty sure as hell, they don't want to be sued.

I didn't have to wait in line for Will Call, but if the line was really that bad, it was a mistake on GV's part... but It seems that Coachella is improved every year and they learn from their mistakes.. I do not see this happening again next year.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I had a cooler FULL of beer and like 2 ounces of weed so that was cool. As long as you were not like screaming and acting like a jackass you could stay up all night. The only complaint I have is the water situation. I wish that people would sell water by the stages that would be awsome.....
    Ive got the demons in me, Ive got to brush them all away.......

My only complaint is that the venue doesn't honor Medicinal Marijuanna Rights!!! I have the legal right to smoke pot outside...

GV please encourage your security to embrace my legal right!!!

There was alcohol all over the place, you could have put it in water bottles and they wouldnt say anything. Showers? wow i was not expecting that but it was great especially in the morning when it was so damn hot. Best camping experience of my life. Showers at National Parks aren't even half as good as this! See you guys Coachella 08!!!

Goldenvoice admitted that they screwed up on Will Call this year, and they said that it's amongst their top priorities to fix it next year. They have people on this board who were responding to complaints, because they really care about this festival and the people who attend it.
    And, if you showed up at camping with your friends, then it was not a big deal. They give out allotments of space to groups, so you can tent with your friends. As someone who camped before they gave out spaces, I can guarantee you that it's much nicer to have the assigned area; my first year, the line to get into camping took 5 hours, and last year when I camped it took 1, because of the organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Security was so lax this year you could've brought a suitcase full of MD 20/20 and meth and they wouldn't have noticed.

The festival itself is horrifically organised. I felt like a sheep, not a customer.

There were only 2 good things i can think of about the festival: The Line-up and the quality of the toilets.

A noise curfew? WHY?
    So you complain about the organization skills of GV, and then you complain about the things they have implemented to keep things organized. Make up your mind. Or just go to Bonnaroo.

poor baby, festivals are impossible to make EVERYONE happy, youre always going to have whiners regardless, deal with it

I think the fest is generally well organised; the toilets seem to be constantly being cleaned, there were enough food vendors so as to be few lines (Sasquatch could learn from this). It didn't take long for me to get in to the fest and the cops did a good job managing the traffic on the roads. I saw CHP manually working the traffic lights on Jefferson each night so as to keep the flow moving as best they could.

I didn't and won't camp onsite as I'm too fucking old to deal with the bs of smuggling a few beers in and I want to sleep at night too but I understand the allure of all night partying for some. Not allowing showers to people on Sunday night / Monday is disgraceful though.

I think the parking situation needs to be addressed in some areas and it seems the will call ticketing. Also, the technical difficulties, particularly on the Outdoor Theater this year were disappointing. Gotan Project were literally cut off mid tune. That's unfair to the artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Sorry, but it's true.

A noise curfew? WHY?

The festival site was OK:
    Not allowed back to the campsite was shit, but i see the reason behind it.

Ticket lines for WillCall etc:
    Absolutely horse! 2 boxes for WillCall, when there were thousands of international visitors who HAD TO CHOOSE WILLCALL!
    3 seperate tickets for each day? Ridiculous. The amount of trees cut down for 3 tickets is phenominal!
    I knew before looking at your username that you were British. You damn alcoholics.
    Didn't you see how well the noise curfew worked? It didn't. I got maybe 2 hours' sleep every night. The curfew wasn't enforced where I was camping.

I'll give you Will Call, and raise you an EARLIER noise curfew. I want to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

In speaking with many others who have attened festivals in the UK/Europe, it is true that there are a lot of differences in the way the festivals are run here in the states. I hear that the water is free at some of the UK festivals (Redding?), but it's from the tap. We here in american can't do w/o our bottled filtered drinking water...being the king of capitalism, someone knows this and is going to make a ton of $ off of it.
    Sounds like the festivals you are more accustomed to are somewhere between our Coachella Festival and the Burning Man Festival. At burning man, you have to bring in everything with you (and bring everything out! including trash). You also didn't see anyone burning their tents and turning their BBQ propane tanks into firebombs after the festival was over did ya? Something i hear is common at the end of some UK festivals.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

I have an idea... Don't come next year and watch the whole thing from your computer. How's that sound? I mean seriously, there was so much alcohol and weed on the camp ground it couldn't have gotten any more festival like. Hell the fucking camping staff was walking around getting high. Stop whining, because seriously, it's getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

gv could easily solve the "partying/loudness" issue by designating one area of camping as "quiet/no partying" and implement a curfew for that area. all the partiers could party all they want. anyone who wants a quiet night of sleep could get their rest.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I totally love this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Banned

You're an idiot.

Kill yourself.

E

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    You're an idiot.

Kill yourself.

E
    you are a worthless piece of shit.

Banned

You had a chance to tell me that to my face.

Wonder why you didn't.

E