Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Girl Talk

Default Girl Talk

I've listened to girl talk's album and i like the beats he makes and i know hes not a dj but his show was just awful. just a bunch of 14-16 year old kids dancing to mainstream beats mixed up. the video presentation was bad and all the kids on stage with th balloons was dumb, now i know why he got bood of a stage before.

old school

Default Re: Girl Talk

He lost me at the Smells Like Teen Spirit Mix. Horrible! Some songs are not meant to be remixed or mashed up, whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

are you guys kidding?
    (makitron from the old board)

all i know is i jumped a fence on the side. ran up on stage with girl talk. rubbed my nuts on paris hilton. and then snuck around back to the mainstage. hopped 2 more fences. and then watched RHCP back stage with courtney love and tim from rage.

Banned

i heard the Girl Talk show was really good. I didn't go, but my two friends were there.

congratulations. now your nuts will be as publicly reviled as she is. ha ha!
    (makitron from the old board)

the beginning of girl talk was close to chaos. me and two of my friends were on the railing and security was totally unprepared. Us 3 jumped the railing (along with about 20-30 others). One friend got tossed out hard, the other got to stand there for a few minutes before being asked to leave, and i got shoved back in once i touched the ground. I was disappointed in the show...it was like music was just playing while watching some douchebag dance around like he owned the fuckin place. i would've rather seen justice. Howver, if i got on stage, that would've been AWESOME.

i was thrown off stage.

so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by the_e_guy View Post
    the beginning of girl talk was close to chaos. me and two of my friends were on the railing and security was totally unprepared. Us 3 jumped the railing (along with about 20-30 others). One friend got tossed out hard, the other got to stand there for a few minutes before being asked to leave, and i got shoved back in once i touched the ground. I was disappointed in the show...it was like music was just playing while watching some douchebag dance around like he owned the fuckin place. i would've rather seen justice. Howver, if i got on stage, that would've been AWESOME.

see everyone says he doesnt do shit, that he hits play and dances around, so i had to see what he was doing. i stood by him for a minute, and he's using some mixing program with a bunch of different tracks lined up and down the screen. It looked kinda hard. i for one think he's pretty talented. i had a FUCKING BLAST!

girl talk is a fucking joke. least talented artist at coachella 2007, by far.

you guys are haters. Girl Talk destroyed, and you all know it. Coming up on them after Arcade Fire and seeing a million people on stage dancing in what seemed like slow motion was one of my favorite Coachella moments.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daftmonkey64 View Post
    see everyone says he doesnt do shit, that he hits play and dances around, so i had to see what he was doing. i stood by him for a minute, and he's using some mixing program with a bunch of different tracks lined up and down the screen. It looked kinda hard. i for one think he's pretty talented. i had a FUCKING BLAST!
    you have no idea what you were looking at. What you saw was undoubtedly some sequencer software. Those tracks lined up and down the screen don't mean he's necessarily doing jack shit. Those are different clips stored in different tracks, but that doesn't man he's firing them manually. It's possible that they were all sequenced beforehand and he could still press play and walk away. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Each row across the tracks is called a scene and he can manipulate several clips all at once with a simple pre-programmed click.

I'm not saying girl talk is or isn't doing shit, just that a bunch of crap on his screen isn't any sort of indicator to what he's doing live.

I've seen plenty artists get away with doing less than girl talk probably does, and perhaps even put less effort into preparing the set beforehand. However I generally forgive them because their music's better than Girl Talk's.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 04-30-2007 at 11:31 PM.

i was near the front- ive never felt soooooooo annoyed by people whos traight up shoved people to get to the front. i was also sweating buckets.

as for those teeny loooking kids on stage- i walked out with a kirsten dunst looking girl- they all looked like her by the way. she was walking out with a yellow big ballon.

i go and ask "are you guys froma high school or something?"
    she said "nope. some people just came up to me and asked me if i wanted to dance on stage"

she never even heard of girl talk.

most moronic moment was when some gusy were like BRING IN DJ GIRL TALK when the screens clearly said IM NOT A DJ. what abunch of idiots!

his "set" however was the biggest fun i had. chaos!
    best thread ever.
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

It's not clips you fuckwad. Tempo-meshing is no joke when you plot, play, and fade 20-30 completely different songs on the spot.

(ie: he doesn't pre-mix, and you're a no-talent reactionary cunt and a hater)

not to mention a pompous know it all who didn't even go to coachella.

man, if you weren't feeling that girl talk set, then you are just a straight-up hater. it was completely nuts. that whole tent was moving. plus, he played so much exclusive remix material

he seriousy went above and beyond with the stage show. he had cameras set up all over the gobi tent and had them projecting the audience behind him. everyone jumped on stage. people were going nuts. paris hilton was dancing with him, right next to perry ferrell. all of the balloons, strobes, confetti, t-shirts, and so on didn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuflvr@mac.com View Post
    It's not clips you fuckwad. Tempo-meshing is no joke when you plot, play, and fade 20-30 completely different songs on the spot.

i like girl talk and enjoyed his set musically, but i read an interview with him a few weeks back and he said his set IS pre-sequenced. so he does basically hit play and then dance around. that's why he does things like wear multiple layers of clothes and strip them off, so there is some kind of performance aspect to it.

i thought having all the people dance on stage was cool -- for about the first five minutes. had that feeling of chaos and excitement. but then as the set went on, it became clear the kids on stage mostly were just random kids out of the crowd who didn't know what to do up there, weren't stage performers, weren't very good dancers, etc.

Cant believe you guys saw girl talk over justice

my girlfriend and i were up on stage for his set and it was a lot of fun. we started out on sidestage by the mixing board where i was videoing a little, but then i looked at my girlfriend and gave her the little head jerk towards the stage and we walked out and danced around for a bit. did anyone see the napolean dynamite wannabe? best moves ever! decided to leave after about 20 minutes so we could get over to the chili peppers, watched a couple of their songs and were over it, so we just sat there and made out backstage for a bit, then watched a little tiesto from sidestage(got some great video of the crowd!) before heading back to the hotel and having the hottest sex ever!

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    i like girl talk and enjoyed his set musically, but i read an interview with him a few weeks back and he said his set IS pre-sequenced. so he does basically hit play and then dance around. that's why he does things like wear multiple layers of clothes and strip them off, so there is some kind of performance aspect to it.

i thought having all the people dance on stage was cool -- for about the first five minutes. had that feeling of chaos and excitement. but then as the set went on, it became clear the kids on stage mostly were just random kids out of the crowd who didn't know what to do up there, weren't stage performers, weren't very good dancers, etc.
    no, you misunderstood his comments about his live show. it's all pre-planned, like he has a rough set list that he wants to perform, but it's all done on the fly in a program called Audiomulch (www.audiomulch.com). he cues up every sample by hand. it's as live as it could get. he's said this countless times. he's not trying to improvise. you listen to girl talk to hear the songs put together in a very specific and meticulous manner, that's the appeal of his albums. that's also the appeal of seeing him live. he goes through so many remixes, i wouldnt want to see him just improvise and throw random samples down. for me, it's great to hear mixes and beats that will be on upcoming releases. it's really impressive how he always has new material ready for the shows

i dont think the point of having people on stage is for them to be professional and/or good dancers. it's about not giving a fuck and having fun.

i thought it was pretty rad. it isn't supposed to be serious, you know. believe it or not, sometimes music is just fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuflvr@mac.com View Post

That statement proves conclusively that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. You don't even know what a clip is. Those songs or pieces of songs are called "clips" in a sequencer context, you fuckwit.

And "tempo meshing" as you expertly call it is actually not that hard. I'm not even going to go into it because you clearly wouldn't know what I'm talking about anyway. It's not a fucking mystery.

EDIT: actually it can be difficult, but the difficulty is in the setup. Nobody would be stupid enough to trust a computer to try to warp a track on the fly in a live performance.,

To claim that he doesn't prepare that music beforehand is the most ignorant and ridiculous thing anyone's ever said on this board.

Congratulations, retard.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 05-01-2007 at 08:59 AM.

to clarify: i don't think what he does is incredibly difficult, i just think sometimes that's ok. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by KenMixtape View Post
    not to mention a pompous know it all who didn't even go to coachella.
    I'd rather be called a pompous know-it-all then blabber like an idiot and prove myself ignorant like you.

Mike Relm made Girl Talk look like a bizzaro-world remix of Soul Position's "No Gimmicks".
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

dude. you are a piece of shit jackstraw. straight up

Quote Originally Posted by yolowo View Post
    no, you misunderstood his comments about his live show. it's all pre-planned, like he has a rough set list that he wants to perform, but it's all done on the fly in a program called Audiomulch (www.audiomulch.com). he cues up every sample by hand. it's as live as it could get. he's said this countless times. he's not trying to improvise. you listen to girl talk to hear the songs put together in a very specific and meticulous manner, that's the appeal of his albums. that's also the appeal of seeing him live. he goes through so many remixes, i wouldnt want to see him just improvise and throw random samples down. for me, it's great to hear mixes and beats that will be on upcoming releases. it's really impressive how he always has new material ready for the shows

i dont think the point of having people on stage is for them to be professional and/or good dancers. it's about not giving a fuck and having fun.

The guy who you're responding to right there, talking to about misunderstanding what girl talk does actually makes better mashups than girl talk does.

And if you watch him perform in all the videos right up in his face you'll see that his music goes through scene changes while he's jumping around and sweating all over a bunch of high-schoolers.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 05-01-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daftmonkey64 View Post
    dude. you are a piece of shit jackstraw. straight up
    oooh burrrnnn.

If ignorance is bliss then you must be the most joyous twit on earth.

Best "empty calorie" act of the whole damn weekend.
    Just big dumb stupid fun.
    It was DELICIOUS!
    This sig sponsored by MenocuŽ buttplugs.MenocuŽ butplugs are the only buttplugs Wykked Sceptre uses.

sorry if you missed justice