Thread: My Four Days

Default My Four Days

Well, here's my travails, with pictures included

Thursday:
    I finished with class at 4:30, went back to my apartment, got packed and then headed down to San Diego to see Arcade Fire at Spreckels theater. The traffic was horrendous, so I missed Cass McCoombs, and got there right as they were starting. They opened with Black Mirror, and it was deliciously intense; I had tears in my eyes because it sounded so good. The whole set reminded me of why I love this band so much. They were much more restrained than the last time I had seen them, but they hadn't lost their intensity. The show was nothing short of amazing.

Setlist
    Black Mirror
    No Cars Go
    Haiti
    Wake Up
    My Body Is A Cage
    Neighbourhood 2
    Intervention
    Ocean of Noise
    Neighbourhood 1
    Neighbourhood 3
    Rebellion
    Antichrist Television Blues
    Keep the Car Running

The Well and the Lighthouse

Neon Bible

After that, I picked up my friend at the airport, went back to LA to pick up my roommate, and then we headed out to Coachella. I got to my condo around 4, and crashed.

Day 2
    We slept in kinda late, and we made the mistake of taking Jefferson up to the festival. We didn't get in until around 4:30. I immediately went to get my water and T-Shirts (the Pic shirt and an LCD Soundsystem one). I heard Satellite Party playing Stop!, and it sounded really good. My dad, my friend and I wandered over to see Of Montreal. We were standing behind John Peel Is My CoPilot, but didn't want to disturb him as he was with his son. My dad left because they bored him, but I really enjoyed their set. They sounded more enthusiastic than the past few times I had seen them, and they did the crazy costume changes. All in all, they were a good start to the fest for me. We then went over and caught the last few minutes of Silversun Pickups. They sounded much better than on Jimmy Kimmel. I'll check them out next time they come around LA, to see a full, really loud set by them. After that, I went to the first set I was really anticipating; Digitalism. I wasn't sure what to expect from them, but they bust out a live mixing set that was absolutely insane. They built up their songs and then threw out track after track; Zdarlight and Digitalism in Cairo were great. I left somewhat early to catch a little bit of the Arctic Monkeys, and as I was leaving I ran into ChrisLASF, Tessalasset, Jenniehoo and SchoolofRuckus. I saw the last three songs of Arctic Monkeys, and they sounded really awesome. I'd definitely see them play again if I have the chance. After them, I worked my way forward, knowing that I'd be at the main stage for the rest of the day. The Jesus and Mary Chain came on, and they didn't disappoint me in the least bit. They didn't play much off the first album, but throwing out Head On, Happy When I t Rains and Just Like Honey was enough for me. I thouroughly enjoyed them. As soon as they ended, I was pushed forward and had a great view for Interpol, and somehow was pushed into my friend and my roommate. Interpol were better than the last few times I had seen them. They sounded really great, as always, and I enjoyed the new songs. Can't wait for that album to come out. When they ended, the crowd surged forward and I found myself about 20 people from the stage. The wait was uncomfortably cramped, and the crowd was restless, but when Bjork came on, all was forgiven. Starting with Earth Intruders, she threw out classic track after classic track. With the exceptions of It's Oh So Quiet and Human Behaviour, she played everything I wanted to hear. Joga, in particular, was beautiful. Her voice was beyond amazing, the band was spectacular, and her "Sank you!" was so damn cute. This was the show of the weekend for me. I left sweaty, beat and completely satisfied.

Of Montreal

Silversun Pickups

Digitalism

Me, Schoolio, Jenniehoo, Tessalasset

Jesus and Mary Chain

Interpol

Bjork

Day 2
    We learned our traffic lesson and took an alternate route; it took us about 20 minutes to get in. We showed up as the Chuck Dukowski Sextet were playing. They were fun, but nothing spectacular. We wandered over to catch the Fratellis, but the Mojave tent was completely full. We listened to them from the outside, and they were really enjoyable. I wish I could have actually seen them. I went and caught the first few songs of Roky Erikson, but I wasn't feeling it, so I headed over to Hot Chip. Again, the tent was so full we couldn't get in, but they sounded absolutely fantastic. I've never been into them, but they made me a fan with that set. I started to feel sick, so we went into the Sahara tent and I laid down during the start of MSTRKRFT. I would have enjoyed it if I wasn't feeling so shitty, but I was, so instead we wandered over and listened to Peter Bjorn and John. They sounded good, but not too special; it didn't help that MSTRKRFT were drowning them out from where we were. I got some meds and went to see The Decemberists. They were so much fun. They played The Island, had a dance contest during The Perfect Crime, and closed with The Mariner's Revenge Song, complete with attacking whale. Another great show. I then went to meet up with my dad and my friend for the Arcade Fire. The opening songs were amazing, and I could tell that, were I up close for it, that would have been a truly astounding set. However, I left early because I had other plans for the night. I showed up at the Sahara Tent toward the end of Busy P and DJ Medhi. They were having fun, but they were far from good as DJs go. They got the crowd energized, but they weren't mixing anything. When they left, the road crew brought out 18 Marshall amps and a stage setup that included a glowing cross. Justice came out and proceeded to wipe the floor with everyone. They built their set amazingly well, throwing out Phantom early and closing with Waters of Nazareth. I loved them. After they finished, I was right up front for LCD Soundsystem. They opened with Us and Them, and didn't relent until the very last track. All the songs were absolute killers, but Tribulations and Yeah in particular got me. The second best set I saw this weekend. After them, I was so spent that I couldn't bother to stay for the Rapture. I met up with my friend and we watched the first half of the Black Keys. They were really good, but I'd seen them so many times that we decided to check out Cornelius. They were fantastic; reminded me of a mix of Boredoms and Beck. We stayed for their set, and I ran into Schoolio and Jenniehoo again. Went home after Cornelius and got some good sleep.

Roky Erikson

Hot Chip

The Decemberists

Busy P & DJ Medhi

Justice

LCD Soundsystem

Day 3
    We showed up early on Sunday, because we wanted to see some early acts. Lupe Fiasco started off our day, and he was great. He had tons of energy, and he really got the crowd into his set. We left early to catch Tapes 'N' Tapes, and they were as good as I wanted them to be. During their set, I ran into MountMcCabe, and we watched them together. They played a few new songs, and were generally very intense. After them, I headed over to Grizzly Bear. They played an astounding set. The vocals were even better than the last times I had seen them, and they were obviously enjoying themselves. One of the better shows of the weekened for me. I went to catch the first few songs of the Junior Boys. I liked what I heard, but I left after the second song to catch Soulwax. I do not regret this decision in the least bit. Soulwax were absolutely amazing. They started with Teachers and didn't stop playing for an hour. They went through the whole Nite Versions album and crafted an intense electronic show. My only complaint is that they were on too early; these guys should have played after LCD Soundsystem on Saturday. That would have been amazing. After them, I went to Konono No.1. Those guys put me into a dance trance. They played one song for over half an hour, and were so great. During their set, I met up with BBALLARL, Hawkingvsreeves, Kerriann, Schoolofruckus, Caco, ChrisLASF and Yablonowitz. When Konono ended, I met up with my dad at Willie Nelson, but he was kinda boring, so I went to see Richie Hawtin, who was putting on a fantastic DJ/Live Mix set. I really enjoyed him. On our walk back, we saw a few songs by Klaxons, and they sounded solid. We watched most of Placebo, who were good, even though I don't like their music much. They closed with a Kate Bush cover, which made me happy. I got a great spot for Air, and started to wait. And Wait. And Wait. They came on insanely late and played an underwhelming set. Disappointment of the weekend. After Air, I was so exhausted that I just went to the Main Stage and sat down. What I heard of Manu Chao was fun, but nothing spectacular. I hadn't planned on watching Rage, but I didn't feel like going anywhere else, so I caught their whole set, and they were great. I'm so happy that I wound up watching them, and also that I'll be seeing them at Rock the Bells. Much better than I expected. All in All, it was another great Coachella weekend.

Lupe Fiasco

Tapes 'N' Tapes

Grizzly Bear

Junior Boys

Soulwax

Konono No.1

Richie Hawtin

Air
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: My Four Days

thanks!
    Alright... I regret the screen name.

Dude, you could have joined the in-depth review thread. It wasn't just for me. This was easily comprehensive enough.

This sated my ego tho.

I understand.

I feel like a big man now

Go buy a truck and lift it. That will crystalize your status as man.

Perfect.