Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manu Chau

Thumbs down Manu Chau

Last edited by barrett90; 08-21-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Default Re: Manu Chau

I thought he was amazing. But then again I am Mexican.

I did notice the bassist had the same bassline for a couple songs. But the guitars were amazing, you didn't have to understand spanish to appreciate that.

Oh yes. The Mexi-Cans.

Could you be any more obnoxious, or overtly racist?

Quote Originally Posted by barrett90 View Post
    Did anyone else think he (they?) was terrible? Each song had an into part and then they'd go into that same guitar riff and repetitive drumming on each song, while people chanted yayaya or whatever the hell. by about the 10th time they did this I wanted to kill myself, everyone around me was booing or yawning or checking their cell phones, except for the Mexicans, who seemed to love it and sang along. I thought it was a terrible act for the main stage and especially right before Rage.
    Racist
    And obviously must have forgot Rage's ethnicity.

I thought he was good, though unoriginal. I didn't care for his anti-Bush song. I am anti-Bush, but I want to have fun at Coachella, not hear political speeches or songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by barrett90 View Post
    Did anyone else think he (they?) was terrible? Each song had an into part and then they'd go into that same guitar riff and repetitive drumming on each song, while people chanted yayaya or whatever the hell. by about the 10th time they did this I wanted to kill myself, everyone around me was booing or yawning or checking their cell phones, except for the Mexicans, who seemed to love it and sang along. I thought it was a terrible act for the main stage and especially right before Rage.
    Man, you didn't get it. Same ethnicity, same politics as rage.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Smile Re: Manu Chau

i knew nothing about this band but ROCKED out to their first four songs... i thought they were great but i speak limited spanish so could only understand a few songs... the reggae/punk/ska arrangement fit in well and got lots of people into it and past the language barrier
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

They were fucking amazing. I dont like their cds but that live set was great.
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedthebird View Post
    Johan cruisin' the campus for chicks. Oh yeah.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I thought he was good, though unoriginal. I didn't care for his anti-Bush song. I am anti-Bush, but I want to have fun at Coachella, not hear political speeches or songs.
    There is more going on in the world than Coachella, you know.

And you can always walk right away if you don't agree with artists speaking their mind. It's ridiculous that you, or anyone else, singles out Manu Chau about political speeches or songs when at least dozens of acts I saw had political speeches or songs.

E

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Dude, then like why even be there. it was like that all day Sunday with most bands/artist.
    And it was Rage day!

He was amazing lots of energy but at that point where I was in the crowd it was fuckin intense with all the RAGE fans rushing to the front but it was a good vibe & everyone was into it.

I thought they were terrific. There were tons of non-fans moved to dance all the way in the back.

Last edited by barrett90; 08-21-2008 at 02:52 AM.

The Mexicans.

"Look! It's a group of The Blacks!"
    "Look! It's a group of the Japs!"
    "Look! It's a group of the Mexicans!"

It may not have been intentional, but when you refer to a race of people with the word The in front, it sounds like you're classifying everyone because of that. It's a bit offensive.

But I understand that you probably didn't mean it intentionally.

Last edited by barrett90; 08-21-2008 at 02:52 AM.

haha Manu Chao was great, the crowd sucked, but he was great.

People from Mexico (me) consider themselves Mexican. Just because the American government classifies everyone below their borders of a darker skin color Hispanic, doesn't mean that THAT'S not offensive in itself. Cubans aren't Mexicans, Dominicans aren't Mexicans, despite what you think.

Canada is a terrible analogy. Try again.

ddd
    Last edited by barrett90; 08-21-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Are you a Mexi-can, or a Mexi-can't?

I had never really heard Manu Chao before, but I was really impressed.

they were fine but the drumming got fucking annoying after awhile

Im mexican and im not offended if im refered to as "the mexican". Anyway, THE MEXICANS love Manu Chao to a point that annoys me. I saw him in Tijuana like, i don't know, 5 or 6 years ago and the show was amazing. I lost interest in him as he got more and more political and started releasing pretty boring and repetitive albums. Last night, his set was very energetic and different from his usual live set, and i appreciated it.

Maybe you would get Manu Chao if you understand who the man is, he fronted Mano Negra, a french band that was like The Clash fro latin people. So, he's like the french/spanish Joe Strummer. Now you get it?

I thought they were great. One of the best at Coachella for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

"The Brits loved the Kaiser Chiefs"

OMG! RACIST!

Dude, Manu Chao kicked serious ass, they played a really awesome set

But if you're not of any Hispanic descent or don't know what they're saying, then I can guess why you wouldn't like them, haha. But they were SERIOUS.

never heard him before and will never listen to him again...the only reason i suffered through his shit was to keep my spot for rage...

They were my unexpected great band of the festival. They were the perfect band to go on before RAGE. Great intensity level and kept that crazy crowd entertained..
    Ive got the demons in me, Ive got to brush them all away.......

I walked over and caught his last 2 or 3 songs (after leaving air, because they came on so late, I wish I would have just been at Manu the whole time)... I thought they rocked it, people around me were annoying and were like "Is this in Spanish?" Holy fuck, it's music, it's not like watching a movie in a foreign language and you have no idea what's going on. I thought they rocked it (i'm white).. It was really fun.. I wish I would have caught their entire set.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Manu Chao was amazing, he was the only band on the entire line up that you could even put before Rage and not have the crowd boo off stage. Would you rather have had Crowded House before them or Manu Chao? I am of latin roots and I loved it that I could understand what he was saying and all that and a lot couldnt. He has a huuuge fan base if nobody figured it out by now. He was another reason Sunday sold out so fast.

This bad was terrible and should not have been on the main stage. I forgot that I was even at coachella. This band should have been in a little tent in the far back so they could have played to the (you know) type people.