Thread: Happy Mondays?

Default Happy Mondays?

So today is the one day I had to miss this weekend... and I really wanted to see the Happy Mondays. How were they? I haven't seen any responses here yet.

Default Re: Happy Mondays?

bump!

I couldn't believe it when I showed up just before the Mondays were to go on, and the tent was virtually empty. Got a spot right up front.

"The legendary Mr. Shaun Ryder," as he was reverentially introduced (and re-introduced throughout the set), is completely fried, IMO. For literally the first 15 minutes of the set he stood there facing stage left, mumbling into his mic (which was mixed down to barely audible levels) as the female "backup" vocalist carried the show. She was running around, singing and dancing her heart out desperately trying to give the set some life. Shaun never really did much more than stand there mumble-singing and smoking his cig (see pic).

To be fair, it looked like there were some technical difficulties early on, but I don't think that was their biggest problem.

Bez was REALLy missed (stuck in the U.K. with no visa) -- he would have really helped if he were there. But at one point a guy jumped on stage and tried to do his best Bez -- the crowd cheered him, but somebody pulled him off the stage right away. He reappeared a minute later -- I think they realized it was a mistake making him stop and let him go back out.

I know this sounds like a bad review, but I did enjoy it and those who were there seemed to like it, too -- those baggy tunes are classic and work well in a festival environment. I just couldn't help feeling a bit sad seeing bald and paunchy Shaun up there mumbling his way through the set.

It was really just a fun nostalgia trip for many there, I think. Nothing wrong with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahhhh.... thank you so much for the response, I really appreciate it. Yeah, that's about how I expected it would go down. Big shame about Bez, too... but, again, not entirely shocking. For the Mondays it seems kind of fitting in a way that lazy slack and visa problems would effect the set, and probably excusable, too. Not many other bands could get away with that. I remember seeing The Fall for the first time, and it was kinda the same way... Mark E. Smith lazily admiring his fingernails while mumbling nearly incoherantly into the mic, and then dropping it and taking off backstage before the song is even done, only to return when his vocal parts were up again and repeating the process with minimal effort. Initially I thought it would be a "kill your idols" kind of situation, but it actually worked very well for them, and it sounds like - for fans at least familiar with the band - it was suitable for the Mondays, too. Must be something they have in the water in Manchester. Hopefully some video of their set will surface (and hopefully Bez will, too). Thanks again for filling me in!
    Last edited by Tiny Shrine; 04-30-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Yeah, it might not have been ideal, but it was great to see such an influencial band in person, which I had never had a chance to do before. From what I had read in an article, Shaun Ryder was scared to perform on stage for the first time sober - that would account for his "fried" and static appearance. I didn't see the whole set but was glad to have caught at least some of it and cool to hear their songs again.
    "There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way" - Thich Nhat Hanh

I stopped in for a song or two then left. Neither Ryder nor I was on Ecstacy, so the experience wasn't what it once was. -_-

Tony Wilson introduced Happy Mondays, don't remember what he said, something about turning water to wine. I read somewhere that he had cancer, maybe that's why he had a cane. It was a trip to see.

i love the set!!!!!! it was awsome, lots of room to dance, rowetta was the star of the show. i have video of some of the songs but the audio didnt turn out good. i do have video of tony wilson....

I thought it was awesome, but I'm far too young to have seen them during their peak, sooooo....

i really enjoyed happy mondays. i jumped up and down like a nutcase. ya shaun messed up some lyrics but whaTEVer. i got the set list. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (they didnt have time to play the last 2 songs)
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

My viewpoint hey I got to see the HAPPY FUCKING MONDAYS! Yes Bez wasn't there, but that seems right somehow that they would fuck that visa shit up. Also amazing to see Tony Wilson, as for Mr. Ryder seeming fried...(cough)

PLEASE don't say God's Cop was on the set list PF!
    Years Attended:

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

Was WFL one of the last 2? Please say no, or I'll be pissed!
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

I walked in as they did Kinky Afro... I think... That was right around the technical problems shit, and I was thinking "fucking christ... first Air now this shit?..." and the rest of the set was just terrible...

Nowhere NEAR as crazy as Faithless... So I went 1 for 2 in terms of witnessing amazing Sahara acts.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Happy Mondays were amazing. Especially "Step On". Shaun didn't do much but that didn't stop the grooves.

And John Peel, yes, WPL was a casualty. That and Playground were supposed to be the last two tunes.

i have video of tony introducing them and a couple of clips form early on in the set. will have them up in an hour or so i hope.
    I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

video of tony...

I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Happy Mondays music live - 9.5

Happy Mondays stage presence at Coachella = 4.0

You could tell that Shaun was missing Bez. He was pretty frozen on stage. The female singer tried to liven up the crowd but it just wasn't the same without Bez. The pretendo Bez helped though.

Nevertheless, I danced like a friggin maniac. Sorry if my horns got in anyone's way.

hahaha, i saw you then you were a few ppl in front of me.
    yeah, rowetta was awsome. she carried the show thue
    Cos your video is awsome!