Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

Default Re: Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

seriously. how do you expect NO traffic when that amount of ppl are in one place? I didnt have a bad experience getting in or out. except when i lost my car on friday because I was drunk. but thats my fault.

Thanks for all your insight on what happened this weekend. I will be attending Stagecoach this weekend and at least I'll know what to expect. I only hope that the people at the Polo Field iron out all the kinks. $7 for beer sounds okay for a festival but no WATER! They better have water....they are advertising in the Stagecoach message board to pick-up 10 empty bottles and redeem them for one free ice cold water.....yeah, right! Now they want us to clean up for them? They better be fully staffed in every level!....oh another thing. The Stagecoach message boards have been temporarlly not available for 5 days now. I think that's bullshit! We're not able to voice our concerns. Many people are trying to split days/tickets and now we've been cutt out of communication. I thinkg it's their strategy to get people to buy entire festival tickets!

God bless the recylce program. I hated tripping over all the trash in years past. I think it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by boardgrrl305 View Post
    In response to the upset patron:
    We are sympathetic to your message and are aware of the "kinks" in the system. Every year efforts are made to improve the entry and exit of the festival and next year will be no exception, with the Will-Call procedure being at the top of the list. As far as the mass exodus leaving goes, when you have 60,000 people attempting to leave at the same time in an area that only has 2 ways out, it definitely makes for a hairy situation. We offer fantastic camping sites as an option and encourage as many people as possible to go that route, thus eliminating traffic and making it easier to vacate the actual event site as a whole. Any large event USA has traffic issues in vacating a venue site with patrons this large in number and please know that we do read these threads and we will work on improving problem areas. I may not be a "chief" on site, but please know that everyone working here is here because they love the event and the music. The Coachella production crew puts 150% of their heart and soul into the show and we care deeply about making sure that you, the attendees, have a great time. We put great effort into seeing each year improve. Your cries do not fall on deaf ears!
    Hopefully this won't fall on deaf ears either. Consider this helpful advice rather than complaining.

I do think the parking and traffic need some work. Perhaps GV could look at how sporting events do it; NFL games (for example) routinely route 50,000-70,000 people in and out of lots each Sunday. There's something about the way the traffic flows within the lots at Coachella that doesn't seem optimal.

Has GV considered shuttle buses at all? say (I'm just thinking out loud here) park everyone in the desert on the north side of I-10 where there's lots of space, little or no 'local traffic' to worry about, and you don't have to route 50,000 people down little two lane country roads. Just have shuttle buses running continuously. As the other person said it this is how ACL does it and the year I went it seemed to work very very well. This is also how they do it at the Phoenix Open golf tournament and they get 60,000-80,000 middle aged Republicans in their Escalades in and out pretty smoothly too.

I know you guys are trying to improve things, and that's good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I was pleasantly surprised that everywhere water was only $2 a bottle. Pretty reasonable for a major event. I was SO glad I camped, and brought tons of food. I would have gone broke otherwise. I ate a large meal before going in, then a late night sandwich after, and I was good! The hell with those money hungry vendors and their $6 slices of pizza, $6 hot dogs, and whatever.

P.S. here's a cool photo of some dude spinning the rusty metal tree.

wa! wa! waaa! quit crying.

i justed wanted a corona, please work that out for next year.

This was my third Coachella, and I think it's run as good or better than any other festival that I've ever been to. I camp on the Salton Sea, which is about 20 miles from the shows, but has free showers and SHADE to put your tent so you don't start frying at 6:45AM when the sun comes up. I get to the parking lots about an hour before the first band and NEVER have to wait to get into the lot. Me and friends then hang out and eat lunch, have a few beers, and then meander into the show about the time that the first band starts. Every year except 2005 we have walked right up to the gate and walked right in. I usually leave about 15-20 minutes before the headliner finishes, so I don't have any issues leaving the lot either. You can hear the bands during the entire trek back through the parking lot, so you don't actually miss anything. We're back at our campsite by 1:00AM or so and have a fire, drink some more beers, and party until 3:00 or 4:00.

Anyone who thought that they could just show up 20 minutes before the show started and just pull into a parking spot is an idiot. Anyone who thought they could just leave at the end of the night and not hit any traffic when 40K other people are doing the same thing is an idiot as well. I saw the Will Call lines and am sure it was an absolute mess, but didn't it occur to anyone that they were not the only people at the show who would need to pick up Will Call tickets and show up early?

The parking situation does need work but it's a large open field with one or two single vehicle entry/exit points and completely irrational and inpatient people unwilling to wait.I got to my truck fairly early but was stuck in what seemed like a eight car line trying to squeeze through a one car gate.I like the shuttles ideas and would maybe suggest preferred parking in a smaller lot so the getting out at the end of the night isn't insane.But really Friday seemed worse parking wise than Sunday.I really enjoyed the fest and will most likely camp next year to avoid the one part i had a problem with.

One three day pass and a campsite pass= $350.00
    three bottles of water per day= $6.00 dollars per day
    sleeping in your parked car from 1230 am till 230 am and not fighting outgoing traffic= $PRICELESS.

most of your complaints sound like they come from someone that just attended their first sold out Coachella festival.

and

Last edited by jorluivil; 04-30-2007 at 05:59 PM.

In response to darksonCEO, i would like to offer a very interesting point of view to the subject.
    I am currently enrolled in an "even planning" course and San Diego State University. The professor wanted to call it "rock n roll management" but the univ didnt buy that.
    so, the profs and the speaker are and San Diego entertainment bigs. Now there only exists a few rival companies in san diego, the professor being the program manager for that group. so...you may find my information more relevant.
    an event to the scale of coacella was inconcievable to me before i went. i was very pissed on friday, got used to it through the week though. there are ways around the long lines in folks!!! read my top 10.
    you go to any concert and a lot of them arent done well. the venue has a lot to do with it. is it a conventional concert venue? no. everything is brought in. nothing is there. it would be different if there were offices for all the really nice staff, who is in the same fucking heat as you...at work. would you be happy? relax, stop bitching and enjoy the festival without the thought of money. that was definitly part of it for me this weekend. just relax, let it happen. im checking my bank account pretty soon. i get back to you guys on how much i will back up that statement later. but really, if you worry about the price, youre wasting your time. dont have expectations.
    you put yourself in indio. you knew it was going to be that hot or youre a moron. if you care so much, you should prepare to get around these things. i planned a very large amount. even a portable peeing device. sanitary indeed. i should have put that on my top 10 as well. you can imagine that is high on the list. how many times do you have to pee in the middle of a set and the bathrooms are on the other side of the great western divide? adjust. prepare. no one can take care of all these fucking people in this heat, on this property, with the basic urban community streets, all these cars!!! pay all the people who work there, and pay all these bands without some sizeable errors. they could be a lot worse. i can imagine they have ran out of water before. if i was on ecstacy that would not be good. just dont be dumb. thats another good rule for coachella.
    so, i would agree with you that there are many obstacles to having a good time. the festival is not for you. the festival is not for you!!!!!!

STOP FUCKING COMPLAINING!!!!!
    super profundus on the early eve of your day

Quote Originally Posted by darksonCEO View Post
    This message was initially intended for the Coachella Event Coordinators (Administrators), but they don't make themselves available, so I'm writing to all who are willing to spend hard-earned money and TIME to see their favorite artists; What I saw today (Fri.) was absolutely brutal: Will Call folks had to wait in line for NO LESS THAN 2.5 HOURS!!! I saw people who paid full price being forced to miss out on half a day's worth of entertainment because they were standing in line getting burned up by both the desert sun and the unprofessional, unaccomodating, disrespectful staff (and this comment extends all the way to the Indio P.D.) All efforts to expedite the entry and exit processes of the Festival appeared to be non-existent. My carpool and I spent OVER 2 HOURS simply exiting the parking lot. Not to mention the time it took to get from the parking lot to Monroe St. There were 2 traffic patrol people directing fans out of the lot at midnight, neither of whom seemed to be concerned with their job performance.
    And also, it's 7$ per beer once you get in.
    I feel that fans who go to these measures to see their favorite artists perform are being disrespected from the beginning of the Festival until the end.
    My experience was so uninviting that I will NEVER attend the Coachella Music & Arts Festival again, no matter how much I am devoted to my favorite artists.
    For any of you who bothered to read all of this I invite you to respond, even if you are offended by what I have just said.
    How about this...if you don't want to deal with will-call. Don't use that service. Get your tickets in hand before the event.

As for the staff and any kind of services inside or outside of the festival, deal with it. Try working and living in this dreadful climate almost all year round (I do) then having to deal with a flood of people. I don't blame them for being pricks, especially coming from the people who worked there that don't live here.

In regards to the beer being $7? Cry more, don't expect cheap stuff when you're at a festival. I was rather satisfied with $2 water and $3 tea/Gatorade to keep me hydrated during the festival.

To anyone complaining about traffic coming into the festival. Take an alternate route. All I saw was bumper to bumper traffic from 50th all the way down to the freeway on Jefferson. Look at a map and figure it out. Even better, since you're on these forums, ASK FOR AN ALTERNATE ROUTE! I took Washington then turned onto 50th instead of Jefferson to 50th. Took me about 5 minutes to get to 50th from my house. When it would have taken me 2 hours if I went down Jefferson.

I must add, the roads to get into the festival aren't meant to hold that kind of traffic in a small amount of time. Those roads are barely used throughout the year (50th in between Jefferson all the way to Monroe).

Do us all a favor and don't come back since you're so weak and can't deal with assholes. For me, there were more assholes on the inside of the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by thaipod View Post
    I raped three children, did heroin, harrassed a horse, set fire to an emo kid, and stole a cart of churros.

THIS TRULY IS THE LAND OF THE FREE!!!

Banned

well here is my opinion

the beer price: fair price for a quality it is in line with other event pricing;

will call: i had my tixs on me but man i felt for all of u in there, they did drop the ball there. they need more staff and work out a better plan for everyone next year. definetely a problem they need to fix.

traffic: honestly we got out easy but it because we planned it out. i wrote down exactly where we were. but we lucked out cuz we were able to find little paths out before the traffic got bad. they were not very organized. listen i understand traffic issues but they have to get people going in the right direction and work with police better within the polo field. honestly there were times they were fucking lost and they had me going in some opposite direction luckily i was able to turn around but it could of been bad,

another thing: LIGHTING!!!!!!! come on now u can get better lighting for the lots its not that hard people.

so overall many kudos but the parking lot issues and lighting is not that good and u cant continue to have a "what do u expect" mentality

bad traffic is bad and we all understand this, but poor conditions is something different and that hurts us but eventually will hurt u in the long run. think about that..

Agent Orange

I could understand if this is your first year at Coachella so you obviously didn't know what to expect. If you had such a problem with will call then you should have arrived earlier. The beer is decently priced, given the fact that i've bought beer a concerts for over $10 before, and the parking/traffic situation it's not rocket science. You have 50,000 people trying to exit the venue at the same time. Honestly, what did you expect???

The only problem I had was friday waiting in line 2 hours to get into coachella from the camp ground. It caused huge problems with all the girls! But by saturday it was less then a 10 min wait! Problem solved!

Hahahaha....oh man, my entire expenses went towards alcohol, whatever. Worth it. Traffic, duh...its gonna happen. Shit, we couldn't even FIND our car Sunday. Some people man. You go see multiple amazing artists and they still wanna complain.

PS: Will call is pointless. Don't do it.
    http://www.myspace.com/caitapalooza
    WHITE CHICKS AND GANG SIGNS FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Cardgage View Post
    Sadly, what I didnt know is that commie chicks = lack of grooming technology + panties made of burlap = Vagina Crimes Against Humanity.

Wow, it's amazing to read post after post of "empathy" - not, towards thousands, yes thousands of people who spent maybe half of their entire Coachella experience in long, fucked up lines, either getting there, in will-call, or stuck leaving. Just becuase YOUR personal experience was OK or even great, doesn't mean that absolves the event organizers from even ATTEMPTING to provide a good experience for EVERYONE.

"Hey I didn't wait in line/get beat up/mugged/lost/fill in any fucked up thing - so it's your own fault if it did happen to you" Yeah great community spirit there.

As I stated before, this is NOT my first Coachella, I've been to every single one prior and this is NOT the first festival/concert/sporting event I've been to, but Friday's experience just happened to be extremely FUCKED. And yes I can even seperate it from the actual concert experience once I made it inside and before leaving. All the acts I saw were awesome, no complaints about beer/food prices (becuase it's expected they would be high), but none of this changes the FACT that the inbound and exiting traffic needs to be better organized and that for certain people will-call was not used by choice but due to the fact that if your credit card billing address was not in the US you MUST use will-call because ticketmaster won't ship you the tickets or let you use the self-print kind.
    Last edited by ie_guy; 04-30-2007 at 08:43 PM.

parking was my biggest complaint. i expected that it would take awhile to park. i expected heavy traffic. i did not expect to spend 3 hours (AFTER the traffic getting there) dealing with hundreds of cars parking randomly in different directions while 2 young idiots lazily waved light sticks in different directions towards no apparent "lanes". i missed a lot of saturday because of that shit.

oh and on friday night i got stuck in a parking lot with randomly directioned parking for 2 hours because there was no exit. someone finally unlocked the gate.

the point is... you don't sell thousands and thousands of tickets without having at least a somewhat understandable way to park all of those people. i felt like once you were outside of the festival itself you were on your own and GV had no responsibility for any of it.

oh.. one more thing...
    extend the tarp where people line up to be checked by security. on sunday i spend over an hour in direct blazing 100something degree sun smashed in with other people. no way to get any shade or relief without losing my place in line and having to start over again. that's how people get sun poisoning/heat stroke

to the people who say "well DUH it sold out"...

do you don't think GV has a responsibility to the safety of the people who spent the money on those tickets?
    Last edited by ashtraygrl; 04-30-2007 at 09:08 PM.

The only thing that I thought was fucked at Coachella was that people camping on-site couldn't go back and forth between the festival and the campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Lurker

The parking situation was shit partially because all the cars lined up like sheep going the longest way to the exit. The first night, we were dumb and followed everyone else and got stuck for over an hour. We would've been there longer if my brother and I hadn't gotten out and directed people away from the long ass line to the exit. If you didn't get in line with the cars and drove directly to the exit, you could be out in <5 minutes. After that, we just paid attention to where the exits where, ignored where the other cars were going and got out in <10 ten minutes total even while driving a huge RV.

If you were in a line where they were only letting out 7 cars in a hour, you were probably in one of the lines you shouldn't have been in. Like the idiots that lined up to go out the completely opposite direction of the exit and tried to drive through the flow of people walking. I saw traffic people trying to deal with these idiots which they shouldn't have had to do.

Next time people, LOOK AT THE EXIT. It takes 5 seconds to make a mental note of where it is. I saw people driving all the way from the exit to the other side of the lot to get in a line of cars. My brother and I mostly just walked down the lines of cars and said "the exit is there" and we got the lot cleared out a lot faster.

My only really big issue was the way that the camping entrance was handled sunday morning. On saturday we all lined up in advance. It wasn't great to stand in the sun, but for the most part it worked. Then on sunday, the wouldn't let us line up and they kept us behind a barricade and made us wait as a big mob, and then told us all at once to get in line instead of just lining up as we got there. I have no idea where the logic was in that. If there was a reason I'd love to hear it, but it seems completely counterproductive to me. Maybe something happened with the entrance on saturday that I don't know about tht was a problem, but why tell a crowd of people that they can't politely wait in line?

thank you, please DON'T come back...

Quote Originally Posted by cazzopazzo View Post
    In response to darksonCEO, i would like to offer a very interesting point of view to the subject.
    I am currently enrolled in an "even planning" course and San Diego State University. The professor wanted to call it "rock n roll management" but the univ didnt buy that.
    so, the profs and the speaker are and San Diego entertainment bigs. Now there only exists a few rival companies in san diego, the professor being the program manager for that group. so...you may find my information more relevant.
    an event to the scale of coacella was inconcievable to me before i went. i was very pissed on friday, got used to it through the week though. there are ways around the long lines in folks!!! read my top 10.
    you go to any concert and a lot of them arent done well. the venue has a lot to do with it. is it a conventional concert venue? no. everything is brought in. nothing is there. it would be different if there were offices for all the really nice staff, who is in the same fucking heat as you...at work. would you be happy? relax, stop bitching and enjoy the festival without the thought of money. that was definitly part of it for me this weekend. just relax, let it happen. im checking my bank account pretty soon. i get back to you guys on how much i will back up that statement later. but really, if you worry about the price, youre wasting your time. dont have expectations.
    you put yourself in indio. you knew it was going to be that hot or youre a moron. if you care so much, you should prepare to get around these things. i planned a very large amount. even a portable peeing device. sanitary indeed. i should have put that on my top 10 as well. you can imagine that is high on the list. how many times do you have to pee in the middle of a set and the bathrooms are on the other side of the great western divide? adjust. prepare. no one can take care of all these fucking people in this heat, on this property, with the basic urban community streets, all these cars!!! pay all the people who work there, and pay all these bands without some sizeable errors. they could be a lot worse. i can imagine they have ran out of water before. if i was on ecstacy that would not be good. just dont be dumb. thats another good rule for coachella.
    so, i would agree with you that there are many obstacles to having a good time. the festival is not for you. the festival is not for you!!!!!!

STOP FUCKING COMPLAINING!!!!!
    ...State School

I thought it was funny that everyone was waiting in LONG lines for the port o pottys when there were no line needed. I walked right past the long ass line, went into the port o potty area, waited for one person in front of me and got right in. Idiots just see what other idiots are doing and dont even question. People turn into sheep when in large crowds. Not I.

Every night we left after 4 or so songs of the headliner and waited in NO traffic.

I agree with the Water stands. They were hard to locate and not everywhere.

We had a GREAT time all together.
    You ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?

glamourdamaged.etsy.com

the lines for parking and tickets could be facilitated a lot better. but the beer price should not be a complaint. if you have been to ANY concert in the last 5 years you should know that beer is gonna run you $7-9 per cup, if not more. props to the person who came up with the recycling program. i think the field stayed the cleanest of any of the 5 years i have been. plus the added reward of water was nice.

Not sure why people are crying about water? I found water in plenty of places for sale and there was also a free water area where you could fill empty water bottles.

I was a little upset that I stood in line to enter on Friday for at least the entire set of Tokyo Police Club and a little before. Wanted to see them at Coachella but missed out because of the line to enter through security.

But overall, I feel that Coachella is pretty well organized for the amount of people at this festival.

BUT why were the lower class (non VIP) beer garden patrons kicked out of the beer gardens while RAGE was playing. I can understand shutting down the beer lines(I guess for crowd control??) but I just wanted to hand back in the beer garden to finish the show with many others and we were hustled out by the police. I believe it was pretty calm throughout the garden so that really PISSED me off.

But I had a blast despite a couple moments that I feel could have been dealt with differently. This was my second Coachella and I hope to have many more!!!!

The only time I was furious was on Friday, arriving to the show. I got off the freeway at 1:30, I didn't make it in the venue until after 4.

i spent at least 1 hour going down jefferson. the ticket lines had no order.

i agree, this year they did drop the ball. last time it was not chaotic at all. I blame the RAGE fans for the main line problem.

1. if you are getting will call to coachella youre just a moron
    2. beer is always expensive at festivals
    3. you pay good money because coachell has the best lineup than any festilval in north america.
    4. parking is free, unlike most concerts/festivals
    5. when 50 thousand people leave at the same time, and the only way out are 2 lane roads, expect delays genius. its not the ritz, its the desert, where the hell are you in a rush to go anyway

chill out, slow down

but yeah, will call should be addressed, that line was pretty fucking long

and beer prices should be discounted, it turns it in to a REALLY expensive weekend. after sleeping arrangements, food, tickets, gas, they should cut us a break with the beer at least

Water wasn't hard to find at all. Every food vendor had water for $2, there was the water recycling area where you got FREE water, and the two FREE water stations where you could refill your bottle of water. There may have been less water locations because they took out the vendors in the middle and always had waters there, too, but having those easily accessable water refill stations more than made up for that. Not to mention that you were allowed to bring in unopened bottles of water.
    Hello hippies! I smell patchouli!

My only gripes w/ Coachella 07 are ticket related issues, including will call. I had VIP tickets, so I had no option but to opt for will call. This is also true for the most international folks, which had will call as their only option.

Worse, after spending 3 hours on the will call line, I found out that my tickets were not there, I had to head to the box office for another 30 minutes to get them re-printed. Fuck, this meant that I stayed 3 hours at the line for no reason at all... I could have headed to the box office and get them in much less time!

I only got into Coachella about the time Jesus and Mary Chain began playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TopangaPatrick View Post
    BURNING MAN pulls it off pretty good-- ok, 40,000 vs 50,000 plus,
    but the lines move along... kudos for the staff for doing their best
    with the heat and massive crowds! Camping=less headache.
    not a fair comparison, Burning Man is in the open desert with unlimited room for exit lanes. the first stop sign is 8 miles away with no cross traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by thaipod View Post
    Water wasn't hard to find at all. Every food vendor had water for $2, there was the water recycling area where you got FREE water, and the two FREE water stations where you could refill your bottle of water. There may have been less water locations because they took out the vendors in the middle and always had waters there, too, but having those easily accessable water refill stations more than made up for that. Not to mention that you were allowed to bring in unopened bottles of water.
    Yeah, wtf was this???? The FAQ says you can't bring in water, but Sunday they were allowing unopened water bottles in. WTF??????? Why wasn't that posted here? I was annoyed by that. I'm bringing in a case next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what