Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

Hybrid View

Default Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

This message was initially intended for the Coachella Event Coordinators (Administrators), but they don't make themselves available, so I'm writing to all who are willing to spend hard-earned money and TIME to see their favorite artists; What I saw today (Fri.) was absolutely brutal: Will Call folks had to wait in line for NO LESS THAN 2.5 HOURS!!! I saw people who paid full price being forced to miss out on half a day's worth of entertainment because they were standing in line getting burned up by both the desert sun and the unprofessional, unaccomodating, disrespectful staff (and this comment extends all the way to the Indio P.D.) All efforts to expedite the entry and exit processes of the Festival appeared to be non-existent. My carpool and I spent OVER 2 HOURS simply exiting the parking lot. Not to mention the time it took to get from the parking lot to Monroe St. There were 2 traffic patrol people directing fans out of the lot at midnight, neither of whom seemed to be concerned with their job performance.
    And also, it's 7$ per beer once you get in.
    I feel that fans who go to these measures to see their favorite artists perform are being disrespected from the beginning of the Festival until the end.
    My experience was so uninviting that I will NEVER attend the Coachella Music & Arts Festival again, no matter how much I am devoted to my favorite artists.
    For any of you who bothered to read all of this I invite you to respond, even if you are offended by what I have just said.

Default Re: Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

Traffic is horrible every year. There are 50,000 people what the hell did you expect?

thestripe

Coachella is not for the weak.

Quote Originally Posted by ED GEIN View Post
    Traffic is horrible every year. There are 50,000 people what the hell did you expect?
    i do agree that the leaving part needs some work. they park us against a fare the wrong way they was for exiting, we had 2 austin powers everybodys cars...pain in the ass the couldve been avoided with a little thinking b4 hand...

Quote Originally Posted by ED GEIN View Post
    It was a lot more than that. The newspaper said about 90,000.

u cant really bitch about a 7$ beer.....every event is that way, music, baseball..etc...

Come to ACL! We know how to treat people, and you can't beat our shuttle service.

And there is no will-call BS. Takes minutes to get into the doorway, even if you get there once doors open.

acl?

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    acl?

ACL Fest in Austin held every September - same idea - 3 days, 130 + bands all in a park in the city. Pick-up and drop off is remarkably easy. Caught Massive Attack, Tom Petty, Gnarls Barkley, Flaming Lips, blah, blah, blah... Had such a blast I went ahead and bought tickets this year before the lineup was announced.

www.aclfest.com

As for the parking situation - it is what it is. I managed to get out in 30 minutes time which I considered pretty good - especially since I was parked in a lane where the exiting traffic went the other way so I had to do some quick manuevering to get out of there. I left around 11 pm.

Better signage would be better. I didn't see the balloons with numbers when I got there but noticed them when I left. Balloons in different colors that are lit would be helpful.

I agree about the lines. I had my tickets, so it took less than 5 minutes to get in (after 2 hours fighting traffic). I was shocked to see a VERY VERY VERY LONG will call line. Shocked. They know the exact number of people who will be at will call picking up tickets, so they should have the appropritae number of windows & trained staff to expedite the lines. Truly, shocked., and thankful I didn't get the AX GOLD VIP tix - I would have to wait a LONG time in that single line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I will agree that the parking and traffic situations are a joke, but it really can't be changed all that much. the major problem with the parking are the asshole people who will not show ANY respect to anyone else in the lots. There is a solution, they should let us turn right out of the lot and go the other way. There is another way in and out, its the one I take each year. The problem is, they will only ley you come IN from the other way. When the show is over i was told i couldn't turn right out of the lot. As far as the the lines to get in, I haven't had a problem, and the booze problem, that's an easy one---take pills.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc2929 View Post
    and the booze problem, that's an easy one---take pills.
    hahaahhaa

I don't know who is in charge of logistics this year, but they are not doing their job. The parking situation last night was completely unacceptable. Over an hour and a half on only seven cars allowed out of the exit. I was here last year and had none of these problems. If they canít figure out how to make things go more smoothly, they have no right doing this.

Lurker

In response to the upset patron:
    We are sympathetic to your message and are aware of the "kinks" in the system. Every year efforts are made to improve the entry and exit of the festival and next year will be no exception, with the Will-Call procedure being at the top of the list. As far as the mass exodus leaving goes, when you have 60,000 people attempting to leave at the same time in an area that only has 2 ways out, it definitely makes for a hairy situation. We offer fantastic camping sites as an option and encourage as many people as possible to go that route, thus eliminating traffic and making it easier to vacate the actual event site as a whole. Any large event USA has traffic issues in vacating a venue site with patrons this large in number and please know that we do read these threads and we will work on improving problem areas. I may not be a "chief" on site, but please know that everyone working here is here because they love the event and the music. The Coachella production crew puts 150% of their heart and soul into the show and we care deeply about making sure that you, the attendees, have a great time. We put great effort into seeing each year improve. Your cries do not fall on deaf ears!

Each year, it grows...Did anyone even notice the fact that what was 2 lanes before, is now 4? Give these people who are working out there a break! While we're dancing n' jammin' to the music, they're dealing with 50,000 people! I live less than a mile from the venue and had to go all the way around, but ya know...It's to be expected with that size crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by boardgrrl305 View Post
    We are sympathetic to your message and are aware of the "kinks" in the system. Every year efforts are made to improve the entry and exit of the festival and next year will be no exception, with the Will-Call procedure being at the top of the list. As far as the mass exodus leaving goes, when you have 60,000 people attempting to leave at the same time in an area that only has 2 ways out, it definitely makes for a hairy situation. We offer fantastic camping sites as an option and encourage as many people as possible to go that route, thus eliminating traffic and making it easier to vacate the actual event site as a whole. Any large event USA has traffic issues in vacating a venue site with patrons this large in number and please know that we do read these threads and we will work on improving problem areas. I may not be a "chief" on site, but please know that everyone working here is here because they love the event and the music. The Coachella production crew puts 150% of their heart and soul into the show and we care deeply about making sure that you, the attendees, have a great time. We put great effort into seeing each year improve. Your cries do not fall on deaf ears!

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Each year, it grows...Did anyone even notice the fact that what was 2 lanes before, is now 4? Give these people who are working out there a break! While we're dancing n' jammin' to the music, they're dealing with 50,000 people! I live less than a mile from the venue and had to go all the way around, but ya know...It's to be expected with that size crowd.
    They do this every year for cars that park furthest parking exit away from Monroe. Your really making a u-turn to get back onto Monroe.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Hopefully this won't fall on deaf ears either. Consider this helpful advice rather than complaining.

I do think the parking and traffic need some work. Perhaps GV could look at how sporting events do it; NFL games (for example) routinely route 50,000-70,000 people in and out of lots each Sunday. There's something about the way the traffic flows within the lots at Coachella that doesn't seem optimal.

Has GV considered shuttle buses at all? say (I'm just thinking out loud here) park everyone in the desert on the north side of I-10 where there's lots of space, little or no 'local traffic' to worry about, and you don't have to route 50,000 people down little two lane country roads. Just have shuttle buses running continuously. As the other person said it this is how ACL does it and the year I went it seemed to work very very well. This is also how they do it at the Phoenix Open golf tournament and they get 60,000-80,000 middle aged Republicans in their Escalades in and out pretty smoothly too.

I know you guys are trying to improve things, and that's good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Exclamation Re: Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

It took 1.5 hours to get out of the parking lot on Sunday night, breathing in dust and fumes (almost killed me after being there since 11am). The funny thing is, if you leave about 1 hour before the end of the show, you can turn RIGHT out of the parking lot. This way you have to go around the block to get back to the 111 or the freeway, but I think it might take less time for everyone to get out if BOTH ways were open still at 12pm! Maybe some traffic could be routed out to Washington before going to the freeway?

By the way, Ozzfest is held at Devore, CA, has a 65,000 capacity (no campers), and the parking is bad, but not as bad as Coachella, and they only have one way to exit the area. I guess having no traffic signals (cross traffic) helps.

Is there any possibility of setting up a shuttle service, with parking in outlying lots, kind of like what Hollywood Bowl does? I would be willing to pay extra for such a service, especially if it avoided the mob scene leaving the lots. I would pay also for a shuttle back to the hotel, similar to the airport shuttles. It seems this might be a popular service, and would cut down on the number of cars.

If I attend next year (likely) I plan on taking a 2-hour nap in my car after leaving the venue, if I am there till the end. It isn't worth it to try to leave at the same time as everyone else.

And, camping is not an option for everyone.

i hit no traffic going to the fest and getting out took 5 mins Just dont take Monroe to get there take washington to avenue 52 and park in lot 4 you hit ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFIC THERE OR BACK it took 25 mins from getting in the car to gettin to our hotel in PALM SPRINGS which is a pretty far drive get a map and avoid MONROE AVE 50 and 48 at all costs and park in a lot far from the fest but close to the street oh and about tickets why didnt you spend the $2.50 and print them at home was that way to expensive for you to do lines will be better today being security can focus on getting you in not getting you your tickets

sorry, i didn't see 4 lanes, in or out
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

BURNING MAN pulls it off pretty good-- ok, 40,000 vs 50,000 plus,
    but the lines move along... kudos for the staff for doing their best
    with the heat and massive crowds! Camping=less headache.

Quote Originally Posted by TopangaPatrick View Post
    BURNING MAN pulls it off pretty good-- ok, 40,000 vs 50,000 plus,
    but the lines move along... kudos for the staff for doing their best
    with the heat and massive crowds! Camping=less headache.
    not a fair comparison, Burning Man is in the open desert with unlimited room for exit lanes. the first stop sign is 8 miles away with no cross traffic.

I think it is all just in the planning. My friend and I tried to arrive early and had our tickets in hand. Getting tickets via will call at an event where there will be thousands attending does not make sense. Getting in took us about 35 minutes. As for getting out you have to try to leave early before the bulk of attendees try to make their exit. We just heard Bjork's first few songs and left. We still hit about 30 mins. of traffic on the way out.
    they try to look trendy/but I think it's a shame/they all look the same

Lurker

I went friday, this was my first coachella and I went mainly for the jesus and mary chain and Bjork. The will call line as nuts....I printed my tickets online and walked right in. Leaving was a mess but I expected it would be. I just layed in the back of the truck a bit til about 2 am then drove right out stress free. I thought overall it was ruin well and the beer prices were cheaper than I expected. Carefull planning will make it more enjoyable.

Mine is OK... Get off the field about 1 and on the freeway at 2... I think it's pretty good. Better than forum already. I had to wait for more than an hour to get out from the parking lot!!

1 thing sucks forever... WHERE THE HELL IS BOTTLE WATER?? I have been running for water on the field but couldn't find any... finally just got some beer and lemonade...
    Last edited by emosdnah; 04-28-2007 at 01:06 PM.

Kentucky Derby pulls it off too. 100 - 150K people; all leaving at the same time...never had a problem getting out of there either.

Also, with 100K people in the infield, all who purchase tickets THE DAY OF get in and out with no line, at all. How can they handle 100K people with NO lines and Coachella can't handle 60K people (spread out) with mega lines?

Thumbs down Re: Coachella lacks respect for patrons!

I've been to every single Coachella since the first one and Friday's experience was FUCKED. Sorry, no other word to describe taking 2 hours from the freeway off-ramp into the venue, then waiting another 2 1/2 hours in the will-call line, then having a security guard just open up the side gate and letting the bulk of the remainder of the line simply walk in WITHOUT tickets or being checked, then spending 3 hours in a parking lot with 0 (zero) staff guiding or directing the whole mess until reaching the exit gate. WTF!!!! For spending over $100 per ticket I would expect and have received much better planning not only at PAST Coachella events but at most other large venues that understand that having bands show up to play is NOT the only part of planning a professional and succesful event.

The parking/exit situation was a lot better than the last time I attended ('04). My only complaint: why weren't enough schedule books printed? Surely they knew how many tickets they sold. I was not handed a booklet upon entering venue and when I asked for a schedule the ticket/security people simply told me the schedules were posted outside each tent. I didn't bother printing up a schedule as I thought that this would be a no brainer for Goldenvoice. I arrived around 4pm, and there were still thousands of people streaming in. Do I sound like I'm whining? God, old people must love the internet. You can just log on and complain instantly. No dusty old typewriters and US Postal Service needed!

I'm glad i wasn't the only one upset with the parking situation, I understand taking there desired direction leads you to a one lane road either way to and from the field but once you get past that why the f are we still dealing with traffic lights? it's midnight gv or the city of indio can;t see the benefit in just allowing people to ignore traffic lights and what not to either be fast tracked to the 111 or 10.I guess i could see during the day when people are arriving the idea of traffic but it's midnight or later.Thats my only real complaint i guess is the traffic, mainly because my truck is a manual and it's hard to spend two hours with the clutch having to be operated after standing the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseTears View Post
    The parking/exit situation was a lot better than the last time I attended ('04). My only complaint: why weren't enough schedule books printed? Surely they knew how many tickets they sold. I was not handed a booklet upon entering venue and when I asked for a schedule the ticket/security people simply told me the schedules were posted outside each tent. I didn't bother printing up a schedule as I thought that this would be a no brainer for Goldenvoice. I arrived around 4pm, and there were still thousands of people streaming in. Do I sound like I'm whining? God, old people must love the internet. You can just log on and complain instantly. No dusty old typewriters and US Postal Service needed!
    We walked in around 2 and were not handed a schedule either. I don't think they hand them out that late. At this hour it appears you go to the KROQ tent and pick them up there. That's what we did.They were right outside the tent in a big box. We wouldn't have known though if we hadn't gone in there to cool down.