Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parental convincing problems

Banned

Default Re: Parental convincing problems

"Fuck you I wont do what you tell me."

Try to get one or 2 parents to go--I take my kids every year---I have a great time and there are lots of older fans there--Some of the bands are from your parents time. They could roam around or hang with you.A short vacation in Palm Springs --sounds great for Alaskans in spring. No matter how trustworthy you guys are it is good to have an adult just in case.The festival is safe and there is not a lot of drinking going on what with the separate areas and security. Some of my friends kids take the bus from LA for a day trip and I am there just in case but no one ever needed any help!

i agree. my brother and his wife take their son, which is ridiculous cause he's 3 going on 4 (hyper nightmare at this age).

my first coachella i was 19, going on 20 the week after, and i took my older sister to the festival to avoid the parental concerns while i was AT the festival (cause they think i'll get killed or something). what made this work was that my parents tagged along. you know, you would think it would be lame to pretty much go with your whole family but it was awesome. my parents love making that trip and hope to make it again this year. i think that should be your way of convincing them. a nice, relaxing, family vacation for them to do what they want and for you to go to the festival. you said you're turning 17 before the festival, right? make it a birthday trip. a gift of accompanying you and letting you go. trust me, it's a compromise that's soooo worth it.

do what you're going to do. plan it as if you had consent, but factor in money that you and your parents could split and see what they think about it.

hope that helped.

I agree - ask one or both of them to go.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Barbara, the ninja

I'll be 18 by the time of the festival, so I'm just going to leave Thursday night and when my mom calls me, I'm just going to say that I'm at a huge concert and I'll be back in 3 days.

There's nothing she can do right??

I seriously hope you guys make it, just do some serious brown nosing and trip planning. You at 17 will have soooooo much fun, it will be such an intense and novel experience. Not that I won't have a kick ass time, but I just remember getting way far off on my own for the first time (Indonesia for 3 months @ 18yrs old) I want that kind of experience back.

Banned

Tell your Parents to come with. Its Palm Springs Sun, relaxation, golf, spas, pools....&RAGE!!!!!!

seriously! they'll enjoy themselves while you're having the time of your life at the show. that's the best option, in my opinion anyway.

^ Good points. Have you tried seeing if they'd be interested in attending? I've seen plenty of parents attend concerts and festivals w/ their kids -- they enjoyed it as well, without being overbearing -- and I'm envious as mine never bothered. Also, it might be good to ask any other adults your parents may know (relatives? close friends?) who might consider going and watching over you and your friends. Just an idea.

Convience one of your parents to bring you to the festival - they might even enjoy it. Regarding the stupid comment by the guy about 17 year olds not really knowing RATM - look at all the young kids who were there for the Pixies 2 years back. I doubt any of them were at Pixies shows when I was back in the 90's but who gives a f*ck they are obviously fans now and were there to support their heros.

Yes, I think a good solution for any groups of underage kids from out of town is to bring an adult. Because, between lodging and transport, you're going to need someone who is 18+ (and 25+ would be better for car rentals).

Hell, if the Police are added to the lineup, I'm going to totally end up going with my parents. It's not so bad... they even sometimes pay for stuff!

Lurker

you know, i say just wait until you're 18. coachella is great, and I'm sure you could get away with coming down now, finding a place to stay, and things COULD work out... but it'll be a REALLLLLLLL hassle.

Just wait. All in due time my little grasshopper...

best of luck - i have pretty cool parents and i know that back in the highschool days they never would have gone for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ruiz View Post
    you know, i say just wait until you're 18. coachella is great, and I'm sure you could get away with coming down now, finding a place to stay, and things COULD work out... but it'll be a REALLLLLLLL hassle.

Just wait. All in due time my little grasshopper...
    I agree. When I was your age my parents wouldn't let me go and now that I am older I know why. But you really need to wait until your 18. Then you can do whatever you want!
    ~If you're feeling sinister, go off and see a minister~

i still say dont give up! this is goign to be legendary!! dont miss it just cos your parents said no. but then again i am a firm believer of seizing the day and not letting opportunities pass you by.

old school

Smile Re: Parental convincing problems

O.K. mom & dad. Iv'e been to pretty much all of the major festivals in the U.S. & Coachella is the most underage friendly festival by far. The local authorities and security of the event really do a good job of keeping this event clean and taking care of anyone who doesn't need to be there. If your parenting skills have worked then you won't have to worry about your childred doing the wrong things with the wrong people. They just need to use the buddy system & watchout for one another to have a safe time & great experience. If you have any questions mom & dad I will be glad to answer them truthfully as I'm an honest person.

Get one of your parents to go with. They probably would have a good time.

just wait wait wait.
    i agree, coachella is very underage friendly... but that's not all that is in this equation. getting over here... the new passport laws... the money...

if a problem came about, there might be a change you'd have to have your parents bail you out of it... and that would be god awful.

... taking a road trip from another state is one thing, but your hailing pretty far....