Thread: partial sets...worth it?

Default partial sets...worth it?

Coachella virgin here with a question for people who have gone before: when is it worth it to trek across the fields to catch twenty minutes of another band's set? Right now, my little schedule dealie only involves full sets, but I have a feeling that might change once I actually get there and understand how big the place is...

Default Re: partial sets...worth it?

chances are you will want to ditch a set for something else you really want to see.
    partial sets are fine if you catch at least half of said set.
    "That's the most gangster punk rock shit out there."- Z-Trip showing his love for Paul Tollett

I programmed my phone to notify me 15 minutes before almost every set except the ones I cared nothing about. That way, if I'm in a set and it's not that great, I can get a warning to move on if I wish.

Yeah, I've also found that doing the partial set thing earlier in the day is much easier than doing it later. You have more energy and the crowds aren't as dense. Once it gets to be around 7 PM, however, navigating the Polo Fields can become quite a task.

In the past I have done plenty of partial sets in the past. If you walk fast it usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get from any given stage to another. Thats if you're not stuck in the middle of a big crowd and have to struggle to get out.

But yeah, partial sets are a good solution to any major conflicts in your schedule.

i love partial sets. i look at coachella as an all-you-can-eat music buffet, where you can taste lots of different things without filling up on any one entree.

as for programming your phone to alert you about sets, don't be surprised if your cell reception doesn't work and you get all those alerts as you're heading back to your hotel at the end of the night.

Partial is better than nothing. At least you can see how they are and if you dont like it, leave.

after 6pm - stay and watch the whole thing if possible. you'll miss more than you'll see by switching up all the time, and you will tire out like a mofo by Sunday.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Partial sets are good for bands you are curious to check out but terrible for bands you really desire to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Partial sets are good for bands you are curious to check out but terrible for bands you really desire to see.
    true dat

if you have someone you want to see - forget about trying to check out another - most likely - you'll end up disappointed that you didn't stay put.

Plus it will be that one act where something crazy happens like Danny Devito or Mischa Barton streaks onstage or something - you'll wanna say you saw it.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

There are plenty of artists who I only plan on listening to for a few minutes.

I'm going to see if I can catch Andrew Bird play 'Simple X', Peter Bjorn & John play 'Young Folks', Amy Winehouse perform "You Know I'm No Good", etc.

Not that I don't enjoy their albums, but I'm not interested in listening to an entire set in a festival setting.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

This year I am making a conscious effort to break away to catch bands that I have heard nothing about and just bounce around until I find something I really like. Partial sets are the only way to go when you want to explore and play.

what about in the case of Bjork and Gogol Bordello? I really desire to see both - Bjork because I love her and it's an amazing opportunity to see her live. But Gogol Bordello has one of the best live shows I've ever seen and they are extremely fun!

But if I get a decent spot for Bjork, it will be hard to get out and get over to Gogol Bordello. Dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by fober View Post
    There are plenty of artists who I only plan on listening to for a few minutes.

I'm going to see if I can catch Andrew Bird play 'Simple X', Peter Bjorn & John play 'Young Folks', Amy Winehouse perform "You Know I'm No Good", etc.

Not that I don't enjoy their albums, but I'm not interested in listening to an entire set in a festival setting.
    Good luck with that. Gnarls Barkley didn't play "Crazy" until the very end, when people had to leave to catch the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

I was able to see twice as many bands as my friends last year due to partial sets. Don't be afraid to walk away from a good set to catch part of a better one.

Good luck with that. Gnarls Barkley didn't play "Crazy" until the very end, when people had to leave to catch the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
    Well, I'm kind of counting on that.

If everybody plays their singles towards the end, I'll be good to go.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

I agree with Boourns, as well as the comment about it being easier to make a switch earlier vs. later in the day.

In 2004, I caught a lot of partial sets, and by the end of the weekend, it seemed really fragmented --- aside from the full sets (Pixies, Radiohead, Cure, etc.), nothing stood out as being memorable.

The last two years, I made decisions and (unless that artist was really disappointing) stuck with them through the complete sets. For me, it made things more enjoyable... but I have read others who are happy to see twice the number of artists each day.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Be judicious and leave if you're bored and only if.

I've been regretting leaving My Morning Jacket halfway to see Clap Your Hands Say Way Too Crowded And Not Even That Good Live for a whole fucking year.

i left my morning jacket about 2 songs until the end for a good spot at sigur ros
    i dont regret anything in my life
    as predicted by nostradamus

I say stay put if you're really enjoying what you hear--move on when you are bored, sometimes you just have to catch 2 bands that are playing at the same time. I regret leaving Sonic Youth for I can't even remember who! and Sonic youth were great enough to stay for. Also whe Bjork played we had planned for a partial set but were so mesmerized that we stayed the whole time...just go with your gut!

Last year (1st Coachella), in 2 days I saw +/->60 bands (most of them partial sets - ranging from 1 if hohum thru up to 10 songs if it is really good ... stayed litlle bit longer or even came back on The Zutons, Giant Drag). However, I did stay and watch the full sets of my top favorites (like Editors, Sigur Ros, Franz Ferdinand & Daft Punk) or the surprising great ones (like Be My Own Pet and The Go! Team).

I planned to watch the full set of Depeche Mode but it turned out they would play the same exact setlist I've seen them performed in Atlanta few months prior before Coachella '06. I think I'm just few rows away in the very front and decided to leave after Precious and got out there completely after they sung a couple more songs after Precious. (Oh well, there were lot of disappointments last year that's why I ended up so tired running around the polo field trying to find a great act playing somewhere)

And guess where did I end up? Very front row - middle of Daft Punk's "epic" LIGHT show "for the ages" (I think it's just light show guys but it is really very entertaining one because that included some captivatingly inventive DJing by 2 guys who dressed up as robots, remixing their music they've never done before ... so calm down! Oh well, I thought Editors, Franz Ferdinand and Daft Punk, in that order, are my highlights of Coachella '06).

All the bands pictures I saw last year ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/33202820@N00/

partial sets ... worth it? (not really sure if it will be lot of partial sets or few selected full sets for '07 to me)

Why prolong your suffering on mediocre performances being put out even by your top favorite acts? It's almost always if it is hohum boring from the beginning nothing spectacular will happen in the end. I did extensive research and listening on pretty much every act who were scheduled to play last year (not so much this year).

Ah, the search or missing out on would be '07 epic shows is going to be interesting. Arcade Fire and RATM haters ... FUCK YOU!
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-25-2007 at 07:13 PM.
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

Yeah, partial sets are great.. you will probably get bored with one and move to another.. but at night, it will not be as easy either.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    as for programming your phone to alert you about sets, don't be surprised if your cell reception doesn't work and you get all those alerts as you're heading back to your hotel at the end of the night.
    It doesn't need reception. It's all in the memory. I just entered all the set-times into Outlook and synced it like I do with all my appointments. I can also go into the calender and just scroll down the list.

It's not a fancy/pricey phone at all- Nokia 6103. I would assume most people have the capability built in- just look for something in the menu called "planner" or "organizer".

You crazy kids, playing your vid-ya games and EmPeeThrees (tm) on your phones...you don't even know it can actually do something USEFUL.

Everybody has something like a top 3 bands they want to see each day, stick with those. Sample the other acts you are curious about, if they suck live you'll know by the 4th song that ther set will blow, leave then. Last year thats how i stayed for the entire sets of Lady Sov and White Rose Movement and left the Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah!. I catched a half set of Common and enjoyed it.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I feel that partial sets don't feel like a real performance. If I don't see a band from start to finish then I didn't see them...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

It can be a good thing.
    If you're not into it and kind of bored,
    It gives you something to do and a chance to catch something else.

But, like I experienced last year.. It can suck.
    I LEFT Animal Collective after about 4 songs to not be able to get into Clap Your Hands!
    Can't remember why we didn't go back to see Animal Collective...
    But it sucked balls.
    2 of my bigger draws from last year pretty much both wasted.

Im Drunk... Is it time for Coachella yet???

Thumbs up Re: partial sets...worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    i love partial sets. i look at coachella as an all-you-can-eat music buffet, where you can taste lots of different things without filling up on any one entree.
    What he said.

I always try to watch whole sets for the bands I really dig......if I know I have to leave in the middle of a band, I get too anxious about checking the time, and if for some reason the band I go to see is running late, I then think that I could have stayed longer at the previous band.

If there are 2 bands whom I want to just give a quick look, I am cool seeing partials.

I'll take quality over quantity!

The trick is to accept the fact that you may miss bands you want to see!

I am praying right now that Faithless starts on time and has a killer partial set...because right after I am running my ass over to Bjork.
    An elegant death by glow sticks.

...05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13' and counting...

The question is harder than it sounds. Some sets are so good that it can be difficult to walk away. Not because of the crowds but because you start enjoying the set too much.

You have to schedule beforehand and move on.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.