Thread: Is there much theft on the campsite?

Default Is there much theft on the campsite?

Has Anyone ever had anything stolen from their tent at Coachella?

I'm wondering how safe it would to leave clothes, sleeping bag and stuff in my tent while at the festival. I would take valuables with me, of course.

Default Re: Is there much theft on the campsite?

Last year I had two bags taken out of my tent. The bags had underwear, toothbrush, phone charger... shit that only I could use. I'm lucky I brought my tickets and car keys with me.

Basically, I would try to get a spot on a walkway. My tent was way in the middle of a big group of tents and it's much easier for someone to go through those than the ones on the outskirts.

It is kind of a bummer though since there's not much you can do. Don't bring anything expensive that you won't keep on your person / in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    Last year I had two bags taken out of my tent. The bags had underwear, toothbrush, phone charger... shit that only I could use. I'm lucky I brought my tickets and car keys with me.

Basically, I would try to get a spot on a walkway. My tent was way in the middle of a big group of tents and it's much easier for someone to go through those than the ones on the outskirts.

It is kind of a bummer though since there's not much you can do. Don't bring anything expensive that you won't keep on your person / in your car.
    geez that sucks a$$. that just sounds spiteful... sorry to hear.

i have camped for the past two years (with groups of people) and we've never had any problems... but yeah, definitely don't leave anything you can't replace easily in your tent... and yes, having a site on the walkway definitely helps...
    COACHELLA 99-01-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12

i camped in my car by the 10 freeway last year, so i wouldn't know about theft on the campsite.

though, i do know a great deal about some douchebag spraying beer all over my car and dancing on the hood of my car in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by modeux View Post
    i camped in my car by the 10 freeway last year, so i wouldn't know about theft on the campsite.

though, i do know a great deal about some douchebag spraying beer all over my car and dancing on the hood of my car in the parking lot.
    Wow that sux. Wish you could have caught him?

If possible, I'd get a little lock to put on your tent. It's not really going to stop someone if they want to cut the tent fabric with a knife, but it will deter them enough that they will probably move on to an easier target.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    If possible, I'd get a little lock to put on your tent. It's not really going to stop someone if they want to cut the tent fabric with a knife, but it will deter them enough that they will probably move on to an easier target.

And it might be easier for somebody to spot a person trying to get in because they will be fiddling with the lock with the knife in their hand.. Yeah try and stay in a walkway if possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    Wow that sux. Wish you could have caught him?
    i was more mad that it wasn't me.

they have security walking around throughout the day and night. There are no in or outs during the concert and someone can't get into the campground unless they have a campground pass. The security is mostly looking for people passed out in the tents though since the heat can be a killer, no pun intended... that sucks that someone got something stolen.. you can always leave anything valuable in your car and just get it after the concert if you need it.

Do people leave stuff locked in their cars? I was wondering about where people leave their belongings while not in the campsite.

Thanks

i myself have never had problems. there are plenty of "do gooders" at the camp grounds. i'm sure someone would speak up if they saw something fishy. one year though, the wind took my friends tent. nothing inside fortunately, but it might have prevented it from blowing away.

putting a lock on your tent would be wise, but you might also be setting yourself up if you did this. If someone is looking to steal and they see a tent with a lock the first thing on their mind would probably be, "This tent is has a lock on it for a really good reason". They're probably right.

All my clothes, towels, bathroom stuff, and sleeping bag were stolen last year within the first 30 minutes of me being there. I put my tent up, went to the bathroom and when I came back it was gone. Wearing the same clothes for the whole weekend pretty much sucks, so keep an eye on your stuff. The parking lot is a short enough walk away that I would leave my stuff in the trunk during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by justinaqui View Post
    All my clothes, towels, bathroom stuff, and sleeping bag were stolen last year within the first 30 minutes of me being there. I put my tent up, went to the bathroom and when I came back it was gone. Wearing the same clothes for the whole weekend pretty much sucks, so keep an eye on your stuff. The parking lot is a short enough walk away that I would leave my stuff in the trunk during the show.
    So getting to know your neighbors immediately is a good idea, kind of a group lookout thing? I mean, that won't stop everyone, but at least you've got people around looking out for you, and you them
    You came here to steal our great ideas! You've been foiled, we have none.

I still can't believe there are no lockers or cloak rooms. I am getting so paranoid about my passport!
    Mostly I am in denial. It just seems like its so illogical to not have any cloaking or locker facilities on the campsite that it simply isn't true.
    It says on the main site there are no lockers, but thats for the actual festival grounds...so I am still living on the hope that there is some kind of secure place to store my documents and some backup stuff just in case some junkie nicks my stuff...

Even if they rip you off with the price of the thing, I don't care, I just want to know that I wont spend the end of my trip on a pilgrimage to the Australian embassy.

I was actually having some worries about this too, I was hoping that there would be some lockers at Palm Springs airport, where I could leave flight tickets, passports etc and then just get them before going home.
    Anybody know if this is a viable option?

If you're so worried about the safety of your passport why don't you keep it in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by krunchy View Post
    I still can't believe there are no lockers or cloak rooms. I am getting so paranoid about my passport!
    Mostly I am in denial. It just seems like its so illogical to not have any cloaking or locker facilities on the campsite that it simply isn't true.
    It says on the main site there are no lockers, but thats for the actual festival grounds...so I am still living on the hope that there is some kind of secure place to store my documents and some backup stuff just in case some junkie nicks my stuff...

Even if they rip you off with the price of the thing, I don't care, I just want to know that I wont spend the end of my trip on a pilgrimage to the Australian embassy.
    Be carefull! I don't know of any airport lockers but maybe by chance you know somebody that lives within 100 miles of where you will be maybe family or something

Lurker

the problem with putting it in ur pocket is that if your in the crowd moshing u might end up losing it. Im in the same position coming from outside the country. Apparently their are lockers at the Amtrak and Greyhound Indio station

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

I was just out of the country, and I kept my passport in a pouch around my neck under my clothes. Do that, and you won't lose your passport and you also won't look like a sissy.

If you get the pouches with the clear front part, chicks can see that you're foreign and be all over you
    Peace, Love and Coachella.

Talking Re: Is there much theft on the campsite?

Quote Originally Posted by krunchy View Post

This isn't the f*ing Holiday Inn. Or even Motel 6. This is the DESERT. And if you want security and lockers DON'T go to Coachella. It's a festival, for Christ's sake. Take a backpack and don't get so blasted that you don't notice someone ripping it off your back.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissygirl View Post
    This isn't the f*ing Holiday Inn. Or even Motel 6. This is the DESERT. And if you want security and lockers DON'T go to Coachella. It's a festival, for Christ's sake. Take a backpack and don't get so blasted that you don't notice someone ripping it off your back.
    How retarded of you, thankyou for adding to the proceedings...

I would rather not have to worry about my tent or my person and just have it in a safe little hideyhole. I can lose practically anything but my passport. The greyhound lockers sound bloody excellent as I'm hoping to be getting there via greyhound and if I need anything from the locker it can't be too far away from the festival site....I still would be so surprised if there wasn't a block of lockers on site - its a license to print money really....any enterprising young coachellians who decide to set up a locker tent will get my greenbacks for sure!

Edit: hold on...wtf...I seem to be getting quite a few first post flames! I am somehow pissing numerous people off so much that they finally come out of lurkdom just to flame me! I guess it's just encouraging participation from the members...or something...I wonder if she registered just to post that. I'd be angry too if I was her.
    Last edited by krunchy; 02-06-2007 at 03:06 AM.

vinylmartyr

I'm STEALING ALL YOUR TIMTAMS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    I'm STEALING ALL YOUR TIMTAMS!!!
    lol oh no! You know our weakness! Australians! Retreat!

I'll be bringing a 50lbs safe and chaining it to a 6ft stake in the ground. Hehe maybe I could start a business there?