Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY WRISTBANDS/IN-OUT?

Default FINALLY WRISTBANDS/IN-OUT?

Coachella is the only major multi-day festival I know of that doesn't provide wristbands and allow in-out priviledges.

Moving to 3 days is that going to change? The majority of festival goers are of the 3 day variety, avoid printing out 3 different tickets per person to get misplaced over the long weekend and checked in each day.

Security is important and must be done when each person enters but that aside this mundane ritual should be ended.

Even it we don't go to full in/out rights, at least save some trees and avoid the anguish of the handful of people in thousands that are going to lose one of those tickets over the longer weekend and speed up the entrance process.

I know this must be fueled by vendors that don't want people ducking out to their cars for victuals and drinks, but com'on there's enough revenue generated especially with the extra day and the relatively low extra overhead.

Default Re: FINALLY WRISTBANDS/IN-OUT?

Sorry I don't quite understand, once you are in the arena area with the stages, are you not allowed to exit ? Uk festivals allow this, yeah the odd person goes for a bite to eat at their camp or a drink but most people can't be bothered the walk back and messing about and end up paying anyway. Aren't they making enough money ?

Thanks,
    Sheri.

Every festival that has three day passes let's you do this. Bonnaroo, Lolla, ACL. They should give you a wristband with your 3 day ticket when they send them out by mail if you buy the 3 day pass. it's that simple. I guess their only worry about doing this is people making counterfeits.

Lurker

Actually, as a person who does production on these types of tours, it makes a lot more sense to not let the people go in and out.
    The money they would lose by letting people out is minimal and isn't one of the main reasons for doing this. They have enough people sneaking in as it is. There are PLENTY of people, that will slip their wristbands off and let their friends who didn't buy a ticket in. It is much harder to deal with the crowds when you have to monitor incoming and outcoming traffic.
    I think Coachella is one of the best run festivals out there and they run it well. Sure there are a few quirks, but overall it runs MUCH smoother than Redding, Leads and Bonaroo. And those festivals allow reentry.

Oh and the entrance process, if you're a camper you don't even have to wait in a line to get in. You have your own entrance. And for those whon aren't campers, as long as your not some duche bag you can go through the same line as the campers and not have to deal with the main one with thousands of drunken assholes.
    Portishead in 2007.
    I have attended every year.

Every festival in Europe does it, just about every multi-day festival in the US does it.

But no, heretofore Coachella in its two day iteration HAS NOT. You show your ticket, go through security, and then your in for that day, if you leave the only way to get back in is by buying another ticket.

Thus my question whether they'll finally relent and change this policy. It's one of the best festivals in the world, but this policy to appease vendors (I'm assuming this is the rationale) SUCKS.
    Last edited by bnyced0; 01-24-2007 at 10:21 AM.

I don't know why anyone would ever want to leave....
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

cheap water, cheap food, underage booze

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I don't know why anyone would ever want to leave....
    Have you ever spent 13 hours a day at a festival, for 3 straight days, where all your meals and beverages are at the mercy of vendors?

In the desert where differing clothing requirements through out the day mean hauling around a ton of stuff all day or suffering later.

If forced most people don't enter a festival until they're sure they'll have no reason to leave, which means if one of the bands you'd like to see is on at noon, but your not willing to sacrifice the rest of your day or a decent meal, or drink elsewhere, just to see that early act you likely won't enter.

I guess for those who only know this type of system you can't really explain it, this is not by any means a deal breaker or the most glaring inadequancy.

If I had to choose one thing to change it would the braindead idea of starting a festival in the desert at noon, instead of at around 5pm and go later into the night. I assume local ordinances are the primary factor, but it seems like most US and UK festivals do so, and it blows. But I'll take one fight at a time.

Dudleyville, AZ (yes, it's a real place!)

everybody's a critic
    I don't have anything clever to say right now.
    Tiff's Myspace

I just wish they would move the camping to the spot they had parking on by the campers enterence last year. If they did this, and only allowed the campers in/outs it would be easy to control. With a shared fence, there would be no other option than to enter the camp grounds by showing the camping wristband. That would be a nice perk for those that are camping and make extra money for them. When campers get there wrist bands, why not scan the venue tickets and give campers a 3 day wrist band. The tickets would then be void, and campers will have in/out ability.
    "my ovaries are bigger than your testicles"

"Procrastination is like masturbation...It feels good until you realize you're screwing yourself"

Seriously, where would you go? I mean, you're not gonna leave your parking space and come back. Unless they checked tickets while you were driving in so you could go back to your car (which would never happen) I really don't see a purpose.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by I_am_138 View Post
    Actually, as a person who does production on these types of tours, it makes a lot more sense to not let the people go in and out.
    The money they would lose by letting people out is minimal and isn't one of the main reasons for doing this. They have enough people sneaking in as it is. There are PLENTY of people, that will slip their wristbands off and let their friends who didn't buy a ticket in. It is much harder to deal with the crowds when you have to monitor incoming and outcoming traffic.
    I think Coachella is one of the best run festivals out there and they run it well. Sure there are a few quirks, but overall it runs MUCH smoother than Redding, Leads and Bonaroo. And those festivals allow reentry.

Oh and the entrance process, if you're a camper you don't even have to wait in a line to get in. You have your own entrance. And for those whon aren't campers, as long as your not some duche bag you can go through the same line as the campers and not have to deal with the main one with thousands of drunken assholes.

So can campers go in and out?

how about the crazy disneyland style handstamps that glow under blacklights? change the stamp every day, that'd be pretty hard to counterfeit, right? if it works for walt disney, why can't that system work for steven goldenvoice? (i just made up that name)

i was hoping they'd do wristbands this year for the 3-day pass holders, too. for example when you arrive with your ticket, they wrap it tightly around your wrist so you can't slip it off for your friends. i just like the idea of them not being accidentally dropped or stolen -- how much would it suck if that happened and i couldn't see the remaining day(s)? also, i think the only reason any of us would want to have re-entry rights is if we want to make an escape for a bit, find another place to eat or, chill by our cars or camps. (i'd highly doubt many would drive back to their hotels to reenergize, but i'm sure an option like it wouldn't make us feel so... "jailed in".)

Banned

I dont see why you would want to leave other than to go do drugs inside your car or get something to eat (which means, having to walk to where ever you parked your car, fight your way out of the parking lot, make your way about 2 miles to a restaurant, eat and then vice versa, except have to park even further because they are only allowing the people who are arriving to park at the furthest parking lot.

the food isnt that bad inside the venue and its not TOO overly priced. if you think about it, you can eat a nice sized meal BEFORE you go to the festival and then just eat one meal inside the venue. the biggest thing is water, which they have lots of for only 2 dollars per bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by josephv909 View Post

the food isnt that bad inside the venue and its not TOO overly priced. if you think about it, you can eat a nice sized meal BEFORE you go to the festival and then just eat one meal inside the venue. the biggest thing is water, which they have lots of for only 2 dollars per bottle.
    I think we paid $18 or $19 for two people to each have a plate of BBQ chicken and rice...no drinks, of course. The food is ridiculously overpriced, and so is the water & drinks.

That being said...I'd still rather pay those prices than deal with getting to my car, driving somewhere, then having to repeat the process in reverse and find a new spot to park and walk all the way back into the festival.

in that case forget the re-entry then. but this 3-day pass -- is it a ticket that i have to hold on to for 3 days, and show (or have scanned) every morning i enter? the last concert i went to, although not as hot as the desert, was humid as hell with all the people and bodies crashing into each other by the stage, my ticket was pretty much deteriorated in my pockets. so i'm thinking a plastic wristband might be better in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystagogue View Post
    I think we paid $18 or $19 for two people to each have a plate of BBQ chicken and rice...no drinks, of course. The food is ridiculously overpriced, and so is the water & drinks.

That being said...I'd still rather pay those prices than deal with getting to my car, driving somewhere, then having to repeat the process in reverse and find a new spot to park and walk all the way back into the festival.
    Agreed.

There is no way in hell you are gonna leave the parking lot once you are in. Drive somewhere to eat? Go back to a hotel? That's BS.

Most people would want re-entry so they can drink cheap beer from their car (or smoke, etc.) Problem with that - if you got all f'd up outside, then came inside, now your stupid ass is the responsibility of Goldenvoice. Since they didn't serve you beer, it's sort of skirts the alcohol laws.

Another perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    you mean #Blowie2014

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShoe View Post
    Agreed.

There is no way in hell you are gonna leave the parking lot once you are in. Drive somewhere to eat? Go back to a hotel? That's BS.
    *sigh* Believe it or not, I've actually done that, this past September at Austin City Limits. But from what I've gathered in the comments here is that there's nowhere in the proximity that's close enough to walk and parking's a bitch to pull in and out from. Okay. I get it.

I am a newbie who's trying to get some info here, so some bitter remarks of implying I'm a druggie who needs to shoot up in my car would be nice not to assume. That's my perspective. Thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by eudaemonia View Post
    in that case forget the re-entry then. but this 3-day pass -- is it a ticket that i have to hold on to for 3 days, and show (or have scanned) every morning i enter? the last concert i went to, although not as hot as the desert, was humid as hell with all the people and bodies crashing into each other by the stage, my ticket was pretty much deteriorated in my pockets. so i'm thinking a plastic wristband might be better in this scenario.
    um no i am sure as in previous years, it's not really a "3-day pass", you will get one ticket, per day, i.e., THREE separate tickets. so if you're that scared or think you will be out of it as to lose your other tickets, leave the other day's tickets somewhere else (your car, hotel room, with someone more responsible etc.)...
    COACHELLA 99-01-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12

Having to keep three tickets safe sucks. I wish they did the wristband thing, it would make life so much easier.

I would just like to go back to my tent, change clothes to adjust to the weather, and maybe drink a green tea or two. I also wouldn't mind to take off to the camp site to take and ice cold shower, and get refreshed before the bigger acts come on. I am sure plenty of people sat in the shade, or fell asleep some where, and would have loved to go take a shower to bring their body temp down. It would only take 30min, and would make the day more enjoyable.
    "my ovaries are bigger than your testicles"

"Procrastination is like masturbation...It feels good until you realize you're screwing yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by bnyced0 View Post
    Have you ever spent 13 hours a day at a festival, for 3 straight days, where all your meals and beverages are at the mercy of vendors?

In the desert where differing clothing requirements through out the day mean hauling around a ton of stuff all day or suffering later.

If forced most people don't enter a festival until they're sure they'll have no reason to leave, which means if one of the bands you'd like to see is on at noon, but your not willing to sacrifice the rest of your day or a decent meal, or drink elsewhere, just to see that early act you likely won't enter.

I guess for those who only know this type of system you can't really explain it, this is not by any means a deal breaker or the most glaring inadequancy.

If I had to choose one thing to change it would the braindead idea of starting a festival in the desert at noon, instead of at around 5pm and go later into the night. I assume local ordinances are the primary factor, but it seems like most US and UK festivals do so, and it blows. But I'll take one fight at a time.
    I've probably been to about 10 of such festivals. Sure, it can get expensive inside, but it's much more convenient and fun to stay inside. You can also try to smuggle in some water or food (campers' entrance) that's cheap. If you get caught, it was cheap, right? Just toss it. No biggie. You'll waste A LOT of time if you try to leave and come back as well. The festival grounds and the parking lot are HUGE. And just imagine if we had ins and outs, the traffic would be constant and absolutely horrible. What a fucking WASTE OF TIME! And security would have more people to check because they'd need to check you back in every time you'd leave. It's a dumb idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I fully agree that there should be in and out privledges, especially now that the festival is a three day festival. Our group is planning on bringing a small RV, which from what I have read will be allowed into the festival parking lots. We will be travelling from Canada and we are not used to dealing with 100 degree weather. So being able to leave the concert to go back to our RV for a nap or to wash up would be huge. Every festival I have been to has had in and out priveldges and I have never had any troubles getting in or out. I just don't think it's fair to expect people to spend 12 to 13 hours and make a choice between leaving and not getting back in. I want to get as much out of this as I can and I'm very excited, but I think being trapped inside once you are in would definitely take away from our experience there.

you're not allowed to even go to your car? sorry i'm a newbie here. was hoping to be able to leave camera equipment in the car and go back for it so i don't have to lug it around all day!

Quote Originally Posted by ckgurl View Post
    you're not allowed to even go to your car? sorry i'm a newbie here. was hoping to be able to leave camera equipment in the car and go back for it so i don't have to lug it around all day!
    No ins & outs.

Besides...it's so far to parking, and it's so hot, you're not going to want to be walking back and forth anyway.

My advice is to bring a small digital camera.

anyone ever think that maybe coachella organizers have no say about the in/out policy. the city of i ndio and the police there have a great deal of say over the rules and regulations of an event going on in their city.

So are you saying that the Coachella organizers have no say, or they're just not going to push for an in/out policy?

I think they need an In/Out Policy...Ive only been to the Sasquatch Music Festival at the Gorge for 3 days last year and it hailed on the 2nd day, and I was soakin wet from the afternoon till midnight when Ben Harper finished playing, and i was freezing and about to get hyperthermia...i even paid 20 bucks for the security guards gloves... but since there are no ins and outs, i just had to leave to get warmth at my car/tent and miss out on the Flaming Lips... it sucked bad, and i think that is good enough reason to allow people to leave and come back in.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    I think they need an In/Out Policy...Ive only been to the Sasquatch Music Festival at the Gorge for 3 days last year and it hailed on the 2nd day, and I was soakin wet from the afternoon till midnight when Ben Harper finished playing, and i was freezing and about to get hyperthermia...i even paid 20 bucks for the security guards gloves... but since there are no ins and outs, i just had to leave to get warmth at my car/tent and miss out on the Flaming Lips... it sucked bad, and i think that is good enough reason to allow people to leave and come back in.
    Hyperthermia? You almost got heat stroke during the hail storm? Weird. They did allow you to leave and come back that day at Sasquatch. Didn't you hear the announcements?