Thread: What time can I reasonably expect to get out of the venue on Sunday?

Default What time can I reasonably expect to get out of the venue on Sunday?

Yes, I know the show is set to end at midnight all 3 nights, so please don't pummel me with sarcastic comments about reading the FAQ.

My question is not so much about the end time of the show itself, but the time it will take to get out of the venue, into my car, and out of the parking lot.

I have heard horror stories about leaving the venue from people who attended Coachella in its early years, so I'm curious if any of the more recent festival-goers on the board can comment on how much this has improved over the years (if at all).

I am a teacher, and I would be calling in *cough* *cough* sick on Monday, except our school is doing state testing and it would be pretty harmful to miss that (besides the fact that I am already missing Friday to attend the first day of the festival!). It is about a 90 minute drive from Indio to my home, but what time can I reasonably expect to actually get home if I stay until the end of the festival (or at least until the end of RATM's set)?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Default Re: What time can I reasonably expect to get out of the venue on Sunday?

Last year for some reason on the last night they closed the gates and we sat and sat. They were waiting for part of the parking lot to clear out so they kept everyone else in the venue. It took a long time and it started to get irritating just standing there in a huge crowd bottlenecked at the gate entrance.

It did get entertaining when people were trying to jump the fence and all you could see were the trees and bushes moving as the person attempted to get out. It was similar to the movie King Kong when the girl was watching the plants move as Kong got closer before she could see him.

Also, people had fun tossing rolls of toilet paper. That was pretty entertaining too.

I can say for the most part. If you get there during peak time that people arrive, late afternoon, early evening expect to sit on that road for quite a while before getting into the parking lot. And security has to search everyone so if you are there at peak times you can stand in the entrance line up to an hour.

When leaving (if they don't shut the gate), it doesn't take too long to get out of the lot. They do a pretty good job of funneling people out.

My best word of advice is do something to mark your car or you may not see it for a very long time because you will spend the whole evening looking for it.

That's all I can think of right now.

Default Re: What time can I reasonably expect to get out of the venue on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    ......... It did get entertaining when people were trying to jump the fence and all you could see were the trees and bushes moving as the person attempted to get out. It was similar to the movie King Kong when the girl was watching the plants move as Kong got closer before she could see him.
    It looked like the episode(s) of 'Lost' where the jungle comes alive and chases the Losties.

Thanks for the info, ardentbiscuit. I'm kind of hoping that RATM isn't the absolute last act of the night; not because I want to leave early, but because I think traffic will be more manageable if they don't go on last.

GV would be smart to schedule a band or two after them; that way, all the Rage-only people will leave at one time, and all the "regulars" who want to stay until the end will leave at another. That could significantly reduce congestion. I don't think many people will be leaving BEFORE Rage.

rage are the main stage headliner. headliners play last.
    I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by fasttrack View Post
    Yeah, but I thought I had read somewhere on here that certain "main stage headliners" in the past were not the absolute last act of the night -- that another band finished the show on one of the other stages or the tent.

Can anybody back me up on that?

Quote Originally Posted by fasttrack View Post
    What about Nine Inch Nails in 2005? Radiohead didnt play "last" per say in 2004 either.

Depending where you parked will determine when you get out. If you are on one of the outer lots it might be easier. But if you are in the lot right in front of the gates you wont get home til 4 or 5 am depending on where you live in L.A.. If Rage goes early and thats who you wanna see, then leave after they are done and you should be ok.
    Last edited by suprefan; 04-21-2007 at 03:47 PM.

yes. headliners don't always play dead last. in 2005 for example, nine inch nails was headlining sunday, but black star closed the main stage.

edit: yeah. what suprefan said.

what i meant to say is that rage would be the last "main stage" performer. and like suprefan said radiohead wasn't the last to perform in 2004. kraftwerk played later than them.

i would assume that a lot of people will leave after rage plays.
    I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    What about Nine Inch Nails in 2005? Radiohead didnt play "last" per say in 2004 either.

Depending where you parked will determine when you get out. If you are on one of the outer lots it might be easier. But if you are in the lot right in front of the gates you wont get home til 4 or 5 am depending on where you live in L.A.. If Rage goes early and thats who you wanna see, then leave after they are done and you should be ok.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that tip on the outer lots in mind. I had planned on staying until the very end, since I'm not just going for Rage, but I might have to leave early if they do go on earlier. All depends on the Set Times, I guess.

We'll see.

the time it will take to get out of the venue, into my car, and out of the parking lot.
    each year this changes so are you asking for past experiences (that may be moot this year?)

Also, even when you get out of parking, you are now out on a 2 lane road with over 50,000 other people leaving too. So it could very well be over an hour just to get to the main road leading back to the freeway, but then it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

So to recap:
    You have thousands of people leaving at the same time, trying to get out of parking at the same time and winding up on 2 lane residential streets trying to get to the freeway. This time could range from 30 minutes to over 2 hours depending on various factors.

but each year they meet with everyone after to discuss how things could be done differently to try and help everyone. the promoters & city traffic cops are actually on your side, believe me.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer