Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we losing humanity in music?

Default Are we losing humanity in music?

Daft punk focused their last album on this cause. We all hate the new bands/fest goers. Is it real? Is technology killing our souls? Is it really just us getting old or is it people becoming dependent on technology . Will a great musician emerge again under these times?

We went from this.

Now its guetta

I know there's a small niche group still but wtf happened to our mainstream society views.

Human nature is to be lazy , 100% of pop music is a sample now. Show me one song on the radio that isn't a sample.

What are we doing? It's been probably ten years since a great band has emerged.
    Is music dying? You can throw all your little unknown bands at me but the truth is they aren't GREAT. If you are great people will follow. These bands like the national are merely good. Vampire weekend= good . Most people don't like metal. The pop /dance/indie world has no great bands right now. Say its yelling at the clouds , but it is not. Music is at an ALL TIME LOW and I cant find the upside.

Computers are killing society.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Default Re: Are we losing humanity in music?

Thanks, roboto.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    Daft punk focused their last album on this cause. We all hate the new bands/fest goers. Is it real? Is technology killing our souls? Is it really just us getting old or is it people becoming dependent on technology . Will a great musician emerge again under these times?

I know there's a small niche group still but wtf happened to our mainstream society views.

Human nature is to be lazy , 100% of pop music is a sample now. Show me one song on the radio that isn't a sample.

What are we doing? It's been probably ten years since a great band has emerged.
    Is music dying? You can throw all your little unknown bands at me but the truth is they aren't GREAT. If you are great people will follow. These bands like the national are merely good. Vampire weekend= good . Most people don't like metal. The pop /dance/indie world has no great bands right now. Say its yelling at the clouds , but it is not. Music is at an ALL TIME LOW and I cant find the upside.

The masses are not dictating what i think is good or great, nor should it take any precedence on where you think the "future of music" is headed.

It could be due getting older, young adults are generally the first to fist pump at even an inkling of BPM over 120, and sure it is pretty fucking disgusting. But all those fists being pumped so proudly could be blocking your view of what could truely be deemed "great". It's understandable, it was quite a mindfuck standing at the outside of the Toy Dolls tent, watching the douche fest occuring at Calvin Harris, and seeing the joy had during Little Dragon all from one spot. 3 way different bands doing much different things and doing it well. (even if one of them is a cookie cutter buttonpusher)

The envelope is being pushed my friend, and I'd rather not show you even 1 song from the radio (even if it is to prove a point).
    If the radio is your first outlet for attemting to discover any fresh or somewhat original music, then, you're an idiot.

10 years since a great band has emerged, tell me, who was on the radio back then pushing the limits of what music was becoming at that point in time. Or without you even answering, isnt it safe to say a majority of the bands that might come to mind, probably did not have their full albums played straight through on the radio.

Greatness, in music, I think greatly lies in your live performance, maybe go to a show stfu and watch for what it truely is. Not saying there is a Zeppelin or Jimi of our time, but when Jimi was blowing peoples minds, this was going on too. http://youtu.be/q8q5OT8UZO4

Not saying you are completely incorrect here, I too feel the masses are only getting dumber, my case is in the fact that they want to hear the same fucking songs over and over.

But just relax bud, the culture will always create a counter-culture. Close your blinds and stop worrying what your neighboors are doing at 3am, you have work in the morning.

Humanity: where did it all go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

no way! so bogus!
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Show me one song on the radio that isn't a sample...

It's been probably ten years since a great band has emerged...

Is music dying? You can throw all your little unknown bands at me but the truth is they aren't GREAT...

Music is at an ALL TIME LOW and I cant find the upside...

You sound exactly like some people I knew. "All the great bands are gone, there's no great bands any more". This was, like, 1988. I said, hey, let's listen to some R.E.M.., some Replacements, etc etc. "No that's not great music, that's just imitative crap, where's the great ones like Hendrix or the Who or even the Clash?"

You sound like those guys. Dumb as fuck, mythologizing the past while ignoring the present. Great things are happening RIGHT NOW. You have not been paying attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I can agree that there is no longer great music on main stream radio, but there is great music. You just have to dig. Are computers killing society or just changing it? Perhaps the masses are not all getting dumber, but rather divided into the dumber and the smarter. I feel, roboto, you are only describing pop culture rather than society as a whole.
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

You sound exactly like some people I knew. "All the great bands are gone, there's no great bands any more". This was, like, 1988. I said, hey, let's listen to some R.E.M.., some Replacements, etc etc. "No that's not great music, that's just imitative crap, where's the great ones like Hendrix or the Who or even the Clash?"

You sound like those guys. Dumb as fuck, mythologizing the past while ignoring the present. Great things are happening RIGHT NOW. You have not been paying attention.
    You know, Tom (can I call you Tom?) you and I have had our little differences around here – primarily, though not entirely I have to say, due to my poor responses on your “Saturday 2014 is the worst Coachella lineup ever” thread – but I agree wholeheartedly with you on this.

I’ve mentioned before, I’m old enough to have attended Led Zeppelin as my first concert, back in ’69 (Cleveland’s Public Hall). Of course, I missed catching live my share of the “biggest guns” back then (the Beatles, the Doors, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, others) but I did catch a shit-ton of concerts by other acts likely in roboto’s “golden age pantheon”, everyone from Earth, Wind, & Fire and the Temptations to Yes and Pink Floyd and Bowie and the Who and the Doobie Bros and Black Sabbath and the Stones and CSN&Y and CCR and the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Allman Bros and Kraftwerk, on and on.

And I’ve continually kept up with contemporary “rock/pop” music from then till now, ELO and Lynyrd Skynyrd to the Pretenders and Queen and the Talking Heads and the Clash and R.E.M. and Prince and Depeche Mode and NIN and Aphex Twin and Green Day and the Chem Bros and Beck and Gorillaz and Basement Jaxx and Tool and and Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire, ad nearly infinitum.

Well over a thousand live concerts across 45 years (and counting) and thousands of albums listened to across those decades, too (bought my first vinyl record in ’64 – Meet the Beatles – and I’m old-fashioned, still mostly buying albums and not just tracks of artists I like; with the operative word being “buy”). Music’s not my life, but I’ve not been just a casual listener, either.

My opinion, based on fairly intently listening to, and trying to stay current with, “rock/pop” music all those years, back nearly to the beginning? There was no “golden age”. That sort of nostalgic mythologizing about some “better” time from which we have sadly fallen is, far as I’m concerned, for children, fools, and narrow-minded rightwingers. Others not in those categories ought to know better. Doesn’t mean everything’s just as good all the time, of course not. But a “golden age”, an Edenic former existence from which we are now debased? “Music is at an ALL TIME LOW”? Nonsense.

There’s a lot of good and wonderful “rock/pop” music being created right now by many talented artists, though Tom and I differ somewhat, at least, on what constitutes that, as really any two of us would to varying degrees (Tom called me a dumb fuck for enjoying Washed Out, I disagree with that assessment). Obviously, there’s a lot of crap out there, too; it’s been ever thus. But as I see it, there’s actually more good and even great stuff out there now than ever before.

A numbers/building-on-the-past/technology-expanding-possibilities thing, I believe. And today there are sub-genres on top of sub-genres not imagined in years past.

I don’t think technology in music is an unalloyed good, but I’m glad we’ve moved past acoustic-only, you know?

Far as I’m concerned, these are the good old days.

old school

Tom makes a very valid point. Some bands have to age like a fine wine or cheese. Many of the said great bands aren't appreciated until they have long disbanded and new generations discover them.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Great things are happening RIGHT NOW. You have not been paying attention.
    Or he is undoubtedly too stupid to realize.

I'd write out a counter argument roboto, but you seem like a lost cause. More than anything, this train of thought is just lazy. Clamoring for the "Golden Age" takes no effort whatsoever, when you could be discovering what's happening now.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

I mean, have you even listened to Drake?
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH no.6 View Post
    You know, Tom (can I call you Tom?) you and I have had our little differences around here – primarily, though not entirely I have to say, due to my poor responses on your “Saturday 2014 is the worst Coachella lineup ever” thread – but I agree wholeheartedly with you on this.

I’ve mentioned before, I’m old enough to have attended Led Zeppelin as my first concert, back in ’69 (Cleveland’s Public Hall). Of course, I missed catching live my share of the “biggest guns” back then (the Beatles, the Doors, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, others) but I did catch a shit-ton of concerts by other acts likely in roboto’s “golden age pantheon”, everyone from Earth, Wind, & Fire and the Temptations to Yes and Pink Floyd and Bowie and the Who and the Doobie Bros and Black Sabbath and the Stones and CSN&Y and CCR and the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Allman Bros and Kraftwerk, on and on.

And I’ve continually kept up with contemporary “rock/pop” music from then till now, ELO and Lynyrd Skynyrd to the Pretenders and Queen and the Talking Heads and the Clash and R.E.M. and Prince and Depeche Mode and NIN and Aphex Twin and Green Day and the Chem Bros and Beck and Gorillaz and Basement Jaxx and Tool and and Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire, ad nearly infinitum.

Well over a thousand live concerts across 45 years (and counting) and thousands of albums listened to across those decades, too (bought my first vinyl record in ’64 – Meet the Beatles – and I’m old-fashioned, still mostly buying albums and not just tracks of artists I like; with the operative word being “buy”). Music’s not my life, but I’ve not been just a casual listener, either.

My opinion, based on fairly intently listening to, and trying to stay current with, “rock/pop” music all those years, back nearly to the beginning? There was no “golden age”. That sort of nostalgic mythologizing about some “better” time from which we have sadly fallen is, far as I’m concerned, for children, fools, and narrow-minded rightwingers. Others not in those categories ought to know better. Doesn’t mean everything’s just as good all the time, of course not. But a “golden age”, an Edenic former existence from which we are now debased? “Music is at an ALL TIME LOW”? Nonsense.

There’s a lot of good and wonderful “rock/pop” music being created right now by many talented artists, though Tom and I differ somewhat, at least, on what constitutes that, as really any two of us would to varying degrees (Tom called me a dumb fuck for enjoying Washed Out, I disagree with that assessment). Obviously, there’s a lot of crap out there, too; it’s been ever thus. But as I see it, there’s actually more good and even great stuff out there now than ever before.

A numbers/building-on-the-past/technology-expanding-possibilities thing, I believe. And today there are sub-genres on top of sub-genres not imagined in years past.

I don’t think technology in music is an unalloyed good, but I’m glad we’ve moved past acoustic-only, you know?

Far as I’m concerned, these are the good old days.
    well gosh. Now i feel guilty. can we be friends now? I'm sorry I was such a dick.

PS Totally sincere, not being a sarcastic asshole. at least not this time.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

This is deja-vu.

DFH has definitely already given Tom the "we've had our differences but I agree with you spheel" before bloviating about all the music he's seen and discussing how he's still seeing music and bla bla bla.

Tom's definitely already stated, in response to DFH, that he feels bad about being a dick before, genuinely and not sarcastically.

roboto, or a poster as equally stupid as him, has definitely made this thread before, bemoaning how current music has SOLD OUT and isn't the same and nothing is great anymore.

And people have definitely treated it as a topic worth actually responding to.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

If you are great, people will follow.

Can you have music without humans?

Funny that you use P-Funk as your first example when George Clinton is such a vocal supporter of sample-based music, worked on some of the earliest electro-funk records, and really didn't appeal to the mainstream white audience in nearly the way that David Guetta does now. If you wanted a more apt example from that time, you could have gone with the Bee Gees, which definitely makes your argument less valid.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

If music loses roboto is humanity restored?
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Can you have music without humans?
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ompose/374916/

When Pharrell Williams accepted five Grammy Awards this year on behalf of the French group Daft Punk, the duo were dressed as robots. This may have foreshadowed a coming invasion by real music robots from France.

Computer scientists in Paris and the U.S. are working on algorithms enabling computers to make up original fugues in the style of Bach, improvise jazz solos a la John Coltrane, or mash up the two into a hybrid never heard before.

“We are quite close now to [programming computers to] generate nice melodies in the style of pop composers such as Legrand or McCartney,” says Francois Pachet, who heads Sony’s Computer Science Lab in Paris.

The commercial applications of such efforts may include endless streams of original music in shopping malls that can respond to crying babies with soothing harmonies, as well as time-saving tools for busy composers. But the questions raised by computerized composition are more abstract—touching on the nature of music, art, emotion, and, well, humanity.

The music-bots analyze works by flesh-and-blood composers and then synthesize original output with many of the same distinguishing characteristics. “Every work of music contains a set of instructions for creating different but highly related replications of itself,” says David Cope, a computer scientist, composer, and author who began his “Experiments in Musical Intelligence” in 1981 as the result of a composer's block.

“It’s truly impressive,” says jazz guitarist Pat Metheny, commenting on a track by a jazz-bot programmed by Pachet’s team to sound like sax legend Charlie “Bird” Parker blended with French composer Pierre Boulez. “I sent it to Chris Potter, the saxophone player in the band I am touring with right now, and asked him who the player was. He immediately started guessing people.”

Computerized composition raises questions about the nature of music, art, emotion, and, well, humanity.
    The French robot that mashes up Parker and Boulez is a lot more advanced than most efforts at computer-penned music. For instance, another jazz-bot emulates Bill Evans with mixed results. Known for his heavenly flights of pianistic virtuosity, often while doped up on heroin, the classically trained Evans defined Cool Jazz on Miles Davis’s “Kind of Blue” outing, the most popular jazz album ever. Sony’s Evans-bot sounds more like it’s doped up on a cocktail of Thorazine and Windows 8. The lush chordings and rush of arpeggios are trademark Evans, but the ham-fisted dynamics and pointless melodies reveal no one human is home.

In 1950, World War II code-breaker and forefather of artificial intelligence Alan Turing introduced a blindfold test to see whether computers could fool humans into believing they were communicating with other humans (“humans” who were actually computers). The test would determine, essentially, whether computers can “think.”

But can they swing? “I would submit that you can certainly make a computer swing,” says Brooklyn-based musician and technologist Eric Singer. “You can kind of jitter that swing a bit to make it sound more human. “

Singer helped devise a computerized band called the “Orchestrion” that Metheny recorded and toured with in lieu of live musicians in 2010. The Orchestrion (also called a Panharmonica) was reportedly invented in 1805 by musician (and, some said, swindler) Johann Nepomuk Maelzel. Beethoven, a fan of early music tech, featured Maelzel’s musical automatons—powered by a bellows—in between symphonies at concerts in 1813.

David Cope has designed EMMY, an emulator named for the acronym of Cope’s “Experiments in Musical Intelligence” project at UC Santa Cruz and elsewhere. EMMY spools out miles of convincing music: from Bach chorale to Mozart sonata to Chopin mazurka, Joplin Rag, and even a work in the style of her creator, Cope.

Ray Kurzweil, pioneer of music synthesizers and author of “The Age of Spiritual Machines” is quoted on Cope’s website voicing the question inevitably raised by projects like EMMY: "When Cope's program writes a delightful turn of musical phrase, who is the artist: the composer being emulated, Cope's software, or David Cope himself?”

Metheny thinks he has the answer, and it’s flattering to humankind. “Instead of thinking of it as computer-generated music,” he says, “I tend to think more along the lines of ‘computer assisted,’ since whoever writes the code or whichever user sets the parameters is already going to be making many of the decisions about what the result might be like.”

If a fist-pumping robot can rock a party, can a computer compose a symphony that brings tears to human eyes?
    Authorship questions aside, the rise of robots may have less-than-happy results for some humans. When Cope was getting started in the early 1980s, musicians’ unions were decrying another perceived foe of the working musician: the synthesizer. It was fast replacing horn sections and even whole bands on stages and studios from Hollywood to Hong Kong.

Today the synth is a staple of most genres of recorded music. But the solo synth player who replaced a live band at a lounge in Las Vegas 30 years ago, is existentially threatened by a DJ with a pre-recorded set of tracks on a MacBook.

So when the robots come for the DJs, who will speak out for them?

Maybe here's who: the enraged dance music fans who reacted to a parody article that went viral earlier this year about a robot DJ taking over a dance club. One defender of human DJs—who didn’t get the joke—commented “F**k you … a robot will never be able to read a [crowd] and play to a [crowd]… Who ever is creating this needs to be shot or worst … Robots will never fully be able to compare to a true entertainer!!!!”

A DJ’s limited duties at a live show—mostly keeping levels right and matching beat tempos between pre-selected tracks—was fodder for Andy Samberg’s SNL send-up called “When Will The Bass Drop?” “Davinciii”, a lampoon of superstar Avicii, looks to the crowd like he’s working the sounds behind the deck, but he’s really playing with model trains, frying an egg, painting a self portrait, and anything else to stave off the boredom.

In reality, the dance music genre is mediated, if not ruled, by machines. “The power and sheer volume would not be possible without computers,” says Quilla, a composer and “topline” vocalist for Tiësto and other über DJs. “So one could argue that computers are already wildly succeeding in moving people's souls: making them laugh, cry, throw themselves down on the ground and thrash around in pools of other people's sweat.”

If a fist-pumping robot can rock a party at the Las Vegas nightclub Hakkasan, does that mean a computer can compose a symphony that brings tears to human eyes?

“I’m sure there are people who cry to Taylor Swift; I’m sure there are people who would listen to Rachmaninoff and be like, ‘dude, that is so boring,’” Singer says. “We can go deeper on this, like do humans actually have emotions or is it all just chemical and electrical brain impulses that are very complex?”
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 08-19-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

well gosh. Now i feel guilty. can we be friends now? I'm sorry I was such a dick.

PS Totally sincere, not being a sarcastic asshole. at least not this time.
    Yeah, no, we’re cool. Thanks for saying that, though.

Like I wrote on some thread or other earlier, it was mostly on me, anyway. You accepted my apology and quoted the “quality of mercy” line from Merchant of Venice, but in the altered form of the Mekons album title from the long ago time, which made me chuckle.

When I responded poorly to some criticism of my comments (some of my very first on this board) on your “Saturday 2014 sucks” thread, I was then roundly and (mostly) deservedly mocked for my responses. Afterward I felt like Ralph on that Simpsons episode where he did something typically-stupid (like eat paste) and the teacher told him, “the children are right to mock you”. Not my finest hour.

A few (there you are, guedita!) were unnecessarily nasty, as I saw it, but really, that’s what I get for leaving myself out there like a slow hanging curve. I’m new here, and I quickly found out that’s what this forum is like oftimes. C’est la vie and no reason to stress over it.

And guedita – sorry if you find my comment “bloviating”. Not my intent, but if that’s how you see it, then that’s what it is to you. I was making the point (perhaps way over-stated, all right, “bloviating”) that my experience gives me the long-range perspective to say this “the golden age is past and music is at an all time low” nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Seems like a fairly widely-held belief, though. Pisses me off that so many of my fellow boomers – fuck, the vast majority of them, I think – buy into this bullshit about music from “their day” being so much better than today’s. Old and crotchety not just in body, but in spirit. For someone younger to do that is even more wrong.

I think it’s a topic worth responding to, as a minor subset of the broader “golden age” bullshit so many people are given to about any number of things. It’s a pillar of rightwing political thought. Hell, I think it’s foundational to the conservative take on Abrahamic religion. The Fall of Man and all that.

You think it’s not worth responding to, bully for you.

Well shit, heart cooks brain, now you've got me worried roboto's on to something.

Fuck.

I'm actually of that 5% of humans who listen to a shit load of music. I respect a lot of it , but it is getting worse. I love the songs when people share pain:
    I love the imagination :

I love the fun . But nobody is stepping up to be great anymore. Was Radiohead the last great band ? Maybe that was it. That was the peak. They introduced the world to the computer anxiety , and that was when it really ended. Pre RH and post RH. Start the time period.

This is deja-vu.

DFH has definitely already given Tom the "we've had our differences but I agree with you spheel" before bloviating about all the music he's seen and discussing how he's still seeing music and bla bla bla.

Tom's definitely already stated, in response to DFH, that he feels bad about being a dick before, genuinely and not sarcastically.

roboto, or a poster as equally stupid as him, has definitely made this thread before, bemoaning how current music has SOLD OUT and isn't the same and nothing is great anymore.

And people have definitely treated it as a topic worth actually responding to.
    So, what’s up with you, guedita?

I have been lurking for a long time and have read a number of your posts and you appear like a smart and witty person with an extensive knowledge of current dance music of the non-cheesy kind. Socially aware, too.

So far, so good.

But then you almost invariably turn mean, often for no other reason I can see than to spew some bile. The nastiness in this post is at an uncommonly low level, sure, but the ennui fairly drips from you. Like it makes you bone-weary to find yourself surrounded by so many lesser mortals.

I knew a lot of young women like you a few years ago at university in the Northeast. Smart, knowledgeable, left-leaning and up against the patriarchy. And about as much fun to be around as a spitting cobra.

Maybe in real life you are a kind, sweet and generous person, and only online do you come off as a lefty Sarah Palin-like mean-girl, just with a much better command of the English language. Maybe. Around here you are never going to change your approach, that’s obvious. You are convinced that constantly being a sarcastic asshole is a perfectly fine mode of human interaction, so screw anyone who doesn’t like it. And you have plenty of suck-up defenders who validate you and cheer on your nastiness. So the board-queen of assholes routine will continue, maybe for another 23,000 posts. How lucky for all of us.

And DFH6, try this. Write your posts in Word or an email draft, then edit the crap out of them before posting. Cut down on the bloviating. Guedita has a point. And no on cares that you saw Led Zeppelin fifty years ago. Make your case without dragging out boring stories of your vanished youth.

Back to lurking.

I was thinking last night about applying the concept of Bakhtin's heterglossia to sampling in music to argue that there is currently more expression of humanity in both its format and accessibility, but I should probably refocus my efforts on changing my online personality so that lurking Ivy League grads might want to spend time with me in person, should the occasion arise.

Kid A
    Ok Computer
    In Rainbows
    Amnesiac
    Hail to the Thief
    The Bends
    King of Limbs
    Pablo Honey
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

I was thinking last night about applying the concept of Bakhtin's heterglossia to sampling in music to argue that there is currently more expression of humanity in both its format and accessibility, but I should probably refocus my efforts on changing my online personality so that lurking Ivy League grads might want to spend time with me in person, should the occasion arise.
    No, guedita, never change. Certainly not to facilitate some unlikely Ivy League meet-up.

I like your approach using Bakhtin’s heteroglossia as applied to the diverse voices – particularly sampling – within modern music pieces. Sounds intriguing. I remember reading some of his stuff in Russian class long ago (he had recently come back in vogue then) but my Roosky was never good enough to really grasp it so I had to cheat and read an English translation.

Whether or not you could convincingly argue from Bakhtin that there is currently more expression of humanity in said modern music pieces is an interesting question. Or maybe you were kidding.

Like sweetmolly, I’ve also appreciated your thoughts and recommendations on non-cheesy new dance music. I caught some pretty good acts both weekends this year at the Do Lab based on your, and some others, suggestions. Hadn’t known about the French Express label before, for instance. And really liked Desert Dwellers, early as it was.

And within your thousands of posts there appears to be a fair amount of worthwhile shit on a number of other topics, too. Just need to elide past the piles of noxious snarky stuff, and avoid arousing your inner Queen of Hearts (Jefferson Airplane got that one wrong). You pissing in my Post Toasties here (old person expression, probably not in the Urban Dictionary) was pretty mild, actually.

And now I’m bloviating, so I’ll stop.

Lurker

Music's always been mostly crap, with a small percentage of great stuff.

People tend to forget about the crap from back in the day, and remember the good stuff.

Seriously, pick a year when music was 'good.' Look at the songs that got awards and had the most sales. Most of it is forgotten.

Gue, you've already made your Ivy League connections. I'm sure you're over it.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH no.6 View Post
    No, guedita, never change. Certainly not to facilitate some unlikely Ivy League meet-up.

I like your approach using Bakhtin’s heteroglossia as applied to the diverse voices – particularly sampling – within modern music pieces. Sounds intriguing. I remember reading some of his stuff in Russian class long ago (he had recently come back in vogue then) but my Roosky was never good enough to really grasp it so I had to cheat and read an English translation.

Whether or not you could convincingly argue from Bakhtin that there is currently more expression of humanity in said modern music pieces is an interesting question. Or maybe you were kidding.

Like sweetmolly, I’ve also appreciated your thoughts and recommendations on non-cheesy new dance music. I caught some pretty good acts both weekends this year at the Do Lab based on your, and some others, suggestions. Hadn’t known about the French Express label before, for instance. And really liked Desert Dwellers, early as it was.

And within your thousands of posts there appears to be a fair amount of worthwhile shit on a number of other topics, too. Just need to elide past the piles of noxious snarky stuff, and avoid arousing your inner Queen of Hearts (Jefferson Airplane got that one wrong). You pissing in my Post Toasties here (old person expression, probably not in the Urban Dictionary) was pretty mild, actually.

And now I’m bloviating, so I’ll stop.
    LOL thread was worth it everyone who doubted.
    Fuck your couch DFH you American Psycho ass fucking perv weirdo.
    While you are in IVY league can you tell vampire weekend they are terrible.
    Your a bitch,
    signed roboto the greatest poster on this shithole.