Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferguson

Default Re: Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Yeah, no big deal. Who gives a shit if cops, soldiers, politicians, anyone who's sworn to protect the general public, people with power, etc. are racist. Move along and say thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And ladies, be flattered when men scream obscenities are you on the street! It's just how things are!
    The point is, the fact that one person used the N word or screamed an obscenity does not qualify as network news.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    The point is, the fact that one person used the N word or screamed an obscenity does not qualify as network news.
    Or, maybe the point is that a person brought in to help quell a tense situation with lots of racial overtones and increasing distrust of police and armed authority figures is not only making a racist statement, but attributing all of the dangerous activities to completely erratic black people. Maybe that is something that should be reported, because otherwise that person's actions are at least being ignored.

Although I guess we've seen how well ignoring racism and police violence and inequality has worked so far. We should probably keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Whatever, Bryan. Must be a slow news day!

Outward expression of racism by member of police force accused of racist act? Obviously irrelevant.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Or, maybe the point is that a person brought in to help quell a tense situation with lots of racial overtones and increasing distrust of police and armed authority figures is not only making a racist statement, but attributing all of the dangerous activities to completely erratic black people. Maybe that is something that should be reported, because otherwise that person's actions are at least being ignored.

Although I guess we've seen how well ignoring racism and police violence and inequality has worked so far. We should probably keep it up.
    i guess what i'm saying is the only way that this story could surprise you is if you had been ignoring this issue until last week.

person who seeks out occupation that requires gun found to be racist may as well be an onion article.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

Except that it wasn't a very good job of reporting...it was presented as an anecdote in a round table discussion the next night by someone who didn't actually hear the comment being made.

The CNN anchor (Don Lemon) doesn't give any details about the CNN producer who the comment was directed to, let alone details about the national guard who made the comment, or present anybody else who heard the comment.

I was walking home late at night, wearing shorts and t-shirt, drunk.

And I thought:

Hey - if I were black, and a cop shot me right now - the medical examiner will just point out that I was intoxicated. I must have done something to provoke it right?

Hey - if I were a woman, and I was raped - it's definitely my fault for wearing revealing clothes, right?

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    i guess what i'm saying is the only way that this story could surprise you is if you had been ignoring this issue until last week.

person who seeks out occupation that requires gun found to be racist may as well be an onion article.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ins...o-prove,33427/
    Last edited by york707; 08-20-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Shooting from yesterday...police pull up around 1:20...1:40 the gunshots start...

Wow

Suicide by cop...coward didn't have the guts to do it himself so he got the police to do it for him.

Suicide By Soda

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I must have done something to provoke it right?
    Have you ever smoked weed or flipped off a camera before? If so, DEFINITELY.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GF0LP20140821

National Guard to withdraw from riot-torn Ferguson, Missouri

The governor of Missouri ordered the withdrawal on Thursday of National Guard troops from riot-torn Ferguson, where tensions have eased after sometimes violent protests were staged nightly since police killed an unarmed black teenager.

-Peaceful demonstrations overnight were the calmest street gatherings in the small St. Louis suburb since riots erupted over the Aug. 9 shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a white police officer.

-But the crowds have thinned, and the mood is decidedly less tense. Police said six people were arrested overnight - far fewer than the scores detained on earlier nights of racial unrest.

Hummm......
    If the news report below is accurate, then I'd say we have a bit of a double standard in the good ol' USofA. Read on:

While Ferguson, Missouri, burns with racism and rioting, misinformation and mayhem over the Michael Brown shooting, another American city is also grappling with the death of an unarmed young man at the hands of police. The incident occurred just two days after the Ferguson event, but, unlike in that case, where a white cop shot a black youth, in this instance the races are reversed. Unlike in Ferguson, there is no allegation that the young man attacked the officer. And there is another difference:

The national media, Attorney General Holder, and Barack Obama are silent.

The young man was 20-year-old Salt Lake City resident and father-to-be Dillon Taylor. Taylor was leaving the 2102 South State Street 7-Eleven on August 11 with his brother, Jerrail Taylor, and cousin, Adam Thayne, when the incident occurred. Writes Fox 13:

According to [South Salt Lake police] Sgt. Darin Sweeten, police were called to the scene just after 7 p.m. after receiving a 911 call of a man waving a gun in the air.

When police arrived they spotted the suspect leaving the gas station with two other individuals.

According to Sweeten, the officers demanded that the suspect and the two others surrender.

The suspect did not follow orders and was shot.

Police have not confirmed whether or not the suspect had a gun or why he was shot.

The two other individuals [Jerrail Taylor and Adam Thayne] with the suspect did comply with police.

Allegations have been made, however, that Taylor was a victim of mistaken identity and, perhaps, overly-aggressive policing. As KUTV reports:

Dillon’s brother and cousin claim they were on their way to visit his parents’ graves and that Dillon was surprised by the police presence. He was not aggressive, they said.

“He had headphones in, and he couldn’t hear [anything], and then they finally surrounded him,” Jerrail said. “They’re like, ‘Get on the ground,’ and [he] pulled up his pants and [they] shot him.”

Thayne believes police might have thought his cousin was reaching for a gun when, in reality, he grabbed his cell phone.

“I was in shock, because he was wearing a white t-shirt and there was blood all over it,” Thayne said. “They ran up and handcuffed him. He wasn’t moving.”

A witness’s video shows police yelling for the two men to remain on the ground as Thayne repeatedly screams that they have shot his cousin.

The two men were taken to the police station, but released hours later without being charged or cited.

Unlike the Ferguson Police, many Salt Lake City law-enforcement officers wear body cameras, and the incident was caught on video. The video is currently being withheld, however; Police Chief Chris Burbank says that it, along with the name of the officer firing the shots, will be released at the “appropriate” time.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

did the community have a long history of black cop on white civilian violence? was the camera video somehow corrupted so it was hard to ascertain details of the attack? were there riots?

unfortunately we don't always get a lot of media coverage on police misuse of power. ferguson happened to get the coverage it did because of the reaction from the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

As a side note, most people locally have been far, far more outraged about this than they have been about anything related to shooting described above.

Also, Salt Lake City has one of the best-run urban police departments in the country.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also, nice copy and paste job from InfoWars, Rodger, you fucking piece of shit.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

what, was the blaze down?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Also, nice copy and paste job from InfoWars, Rodger, you fucking piece of shit.
    I don't think anyone takes Rodger seriously after he made it known what an asshat he is in the healthcare thread. Sad to see he's now going to pollute this thread with his anti-Obama bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

How many times do witnesses have to repeat what they saw for the cops to admit that what they did . . . what they do is wrong?

We are getting emails regarding potential riots this week. Our office building is prepared to go on complete lockdown if riots come to downtown. People are buying plywood to cover store windows. You cannot rent security this week, as all security firms are completely booked.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Damn.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

grand jury decision has been made. announcement expected today.

godspeed, st louis.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I hope it doesn't explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Good thing we just moved from being across the street from the Shaw neighborhood to the safe suburb of Clayton, MO...
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I hope it doesn't explode.
    I hope the grand jury isn't full of idiots.