Thread: Santa Monica Twilight Concert Series

Default Santa Monica Twilight Concert Series

Has anyone been attending any of these? How's the sound? I missed all but the tail end of Jagwar Ma's set Weekend 1 and really want to make it this Thursday but I might be leaving for Vegas the same night so I was wondering if anyone knows how late it's gonna run. I'd imagine these have been ending around 9 or so. Can anyone vouch?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Default Re: Santa Monica Twilight Concert Series

I haven't been yet, but I'll be there on Thursday too. I've heard parking is a bitch. But hey, the concert is free!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I go to these things regularly and they are pretty much two options:

A) Watch the concert from the pier and hear the music.
    B) Picnic on the beach and chat with your friends.

My friends usually opt for the picnic and while it is fun to get a few bottles of wine and party on the beach (the cops allow this just as long as you're being somewhat discreet) you simply can't hear the music. In previous years they had speaker towers pointed towards the beach area as well as a large video screen so if you got there early it was possible to enjoy the best of both worlds. I'd always hoped that they would expand on that - place a speaker tower or two on the sand so more people could hear the music but when I went a few weeks ago for Cults it appeared they had moved in the opposite direction - no video screen and the sound was horribly low. I went up onto the pier for Cults' last couple of songs and I could barely hear them. I imagine this is due to noise complaints from the numerous beach-front condos in the area but that's just a guess. Casey is right, parking is a bitch. I usually walk or take the bus but if I were driving I'd probably park in one of the parking structures by the promenade and walk the rest of the way. The closer you get to the beach the harder/more expensive it gets to find parking.

^^ That's really disappointing to hear. I was also told there were screens and speakers but I guess the person I talked to gave me outdated information. Is watching from the pier pretty crowded? I was really looking forward to relaxing on the beach and watching the show!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    ^^ That's really disappointing to hear. I was also told there were screens and speakers but I guess the person I talked to gave me outdated information. Is watching from the pier pretty crowded? I was really looking forward to relaxing on the beach and watching the show!
    Keep in mind this was only for Cults, which is the only show I've attended this year. I just asked my friend and she said they reinstalled the speaker towers facing the beach after the first concert, although in my experience the sound is still spotty at best from the sand at that's if you have a spot that's close enough to hear it. If you can get there early your best bet is to have a drink on the beach for an hour during the openers and then go up on the pier for the headliner. Most of the crowd sticks to the beach so the pier usually doesn't get too crowded. It's a great time, don't let me dissuade you. Just adjust your expectations if you plan to picnic the whole time.

Well, I'm now most likely not going but please report back!
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Easy parking two blocks from pier at courthouse lot. $4 beers, Jagwar Ma absolutely killing it. Huge dance party on the pier, not sure if the beach was going off or not. Did a pretty great cover of "All Apologies" Jagwar Ma style.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

I remember the beach seemed to have as many people as the pier, and they apparently couldn't hear a thing at Cults. I had no problems hearing anything on the pier, though.

Wonder how things will be for The Zombies.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Bump. Contemplating heading up for Charles Bradley. I'm trying to visualize this or find pics online - so between the two options the pier is closer or farther from the stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Wonder how things will be for The Zombies.
    The Zombies were fucking awesome. Major improvement from Cults - seems like they doubled the number of speaker towers. I spent the whole time on the beach and the sound was the best I'd ever heard from that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Bump. Contemplating heading up for Charles Bradley. I'm trying to visualize this or find pics online - so between the two options the pier is closer or farther from the stage?
    The stage is on the pier. There are also speaker towers pointed south towards the beach area.