Thread: Seeking Feedback on simplifying Festival Packing -- Paid Opportunities

Lightbulb Seeking Feedback on simplifying Festival Packing -- Paid Opportunities

Hey fellow festival go-ers, I'm looking for your help with a project that I'm working on to make packing/prepping for music festivals easier and cheaper.

I couldn't find any legit websites that packaged this all together, so I tried putting together one of my own. I've just launched http://www.PakHak.com, and am looking for others feedback as to what you would really like to see in any essential festival kit, and what else can be done to make the prepping process easier.

This is not an ad and I am genuinely looking for help for anyone that might be able to provide it.

My questions:

1. What do you think is challenging about getting ready for a music festival?

2. What do you think are the packing essentials for any day festival?

3. Do you think there is a business opportunity here for someone to streamline the process

I'm willing to pay to interview people a bit more on their thoughts on this. Thank you!

Jeff

Default Re: Seeking Feedback on simplifying Festival Packing -- Paid Opportunities

you're literally on par with what Walgreens charges...but

Im sick and tired of Walgreens ripping us off. - Jeff, Founder of Pakhak.
    $30, saves you a few moments of your time or...

"countless hours planning, store-hopping, packing, and unpacking, only to still find ourselves frustrated at the campsite"

I also want to add that the sunglasses and drawstring bags are given away for free at every festival ever. so you have nothing going for you or this endeavor of yours.
    sorry bud. maybe the next idea you have will be more applicable and profitable...

Default Re: Seeking Feedback on simplifying Festival Packing -- Paid Opportunities

will you pay me for what I just brought to your attention?
    I doubt it.

You need to add SPF chapstick and a pack of wet wipes/baby wipes to your daypack. And xanax bars to the night pack. Also only 1 oz of sunscreen? That's barely anything, bro.

Oh, add a fan to the day pak. That's something people love to have at festivals to cool off with but often forget to pack or don't think about til they see someone else with one.
    Last edited by guedita; 07-07-2014 at 07:40 PM.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Xanax bars to the day pack too, actually.

Also, following up Apache's comment, the following things you've listed as part of your paks (for the low, low price of $29.99!) can typically be acquired for free at festivals due to first aid tents and/or TheFestivalGuy's influence on the greater communal festival spirit:

- sunscreen
    - hand sanitizer
    - glowsticks
    - condoms
    - advil
    - ear plugs
    - lighter

Thanks Apache and Guedita.

I've only started to just try and source the products, and buying those items at wholesale isn't all that cheap. After all the costs are added in plus a small margin, it doesn't come out to being cheaper than Walgreens -- I totally agree. I've considered approaching some manufacturers to see if they would provide these items for free to 'reach the festival market', but haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.

I suppose in general, does anyone else finding prepping for music festivals, particularly multi-day festivals to be rather time-consuming and have thoughts about ways that the frustration could be eased without paying for one of those outrageous 'glamping' tents?

Thanks again, Jeff

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

toilet seat covers seem like a horrible idea for porta-potties in that there is no flush, so that would mean you'd have to lift it off the seat when you are done and throw it in the trash. people can't even ensure they flush all the way.

i think this is an interesting idea, but i would imagine you'd have better luck creating a version for men and a version for women. for example, a women may want some special brand of chapstick that is fancier than what a man would want. same with sunglasses. or maybe a druggie pack for people who actually want glowsticks.

also, many festivals are multi-day, so you may want to think about larger amounts of the items provided. and about selling them at the fest or through the fest. i imagine the type of person who has trouble packing their own bag probably waits until the last minute to do such a thing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

the above poster is right,

you'd be much better off marketing and selling outside festival entrances and on-festival grounds as well.

Yeah -- I agree it's not great for eCommerce for a number of reasons. The shipping cost alone is pretty depressing. The challenge is that these festivals mark-up all of these items so high, that it might be too competitive for them to allow. For example, at Jazz Fest this year, a poncho went for $38!

I love music festivals, but the profits that they make on the necessary items to buy should you forget something, as well as for glamping are just way too high.

Hey all --

So a quick update on this... i've decided to drop the bags and instead focus on allowing people to rent camping equipment on-site at the festival. Ideally trying to make it faster, easier, and greener to set up at the festival. If anyone would like to provide feedback, I'd very much so appreciate it.

Jeff

This is a way better idea but I think it still falls short in my mind only because I can't see quality products being rented for that cheap. Is there a damage deposit? Only asking because canopies get TRASHED mainly due to bad set up and working for a major outdoor company I know the cost to repair and replace is about equal after considering the turn around time of repair(4-12 weeks peak season). And do you have a cleaning fee on these, because I doubt I'd wanna touch a strangers sleeping bag after 4 days at a festival. Just a few things to think of

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i did VIP camping at a fest where everything was already set-up, but a similar concept. i think this is a good idea. if there had been an option to rent equipment, i might have done that as it would have been cheaper. when traveling from afar, it's hard to bring all that stuff on a plane. i would focus on larger items that are harder to bring on a plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.