Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robyn + Royksopp should headline a day

Default Re: Robyn + Royksopp should headline a day

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    It doesn't have to be a flaw in the setup though... I mean, even earlier you referenced the last Hollywood Bowl show... No opener, if I recall correctly, and looking back at setlist.fm... 30 songs performed total between the two of them (31 if you count the tease of Dancing Queen Robyn did... but... eh)... vs 24 on Saturday night... That difference would probably have made the difference between leaving completely satisfied vs feeling like things were left out...
    I suspect part of the reason they did 6 fewer songs on Saturday (and probably are doing the same number of songs at each of their performances here) is because it's part of a tour. The Hollywood Bowl show in 2011 was a one-off and if I recall correctly, neither act had been on the road for a while. It's a lot easier for Robyn to play 2 hours and dance her ass off for 20 songs when she's only gotta do it one night instead of over the course of an entire tour, short as that tour may be.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm glad the show was so good. I'm taking part of my vacation to see them at Red Rocks for the end of the tour.
    Man, that's a great venue to see this great show in. If it wasn't so close to our Arcade Fire Montreal trip, I'd seriously consider trying to sell Jen on going there.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Royksopp was fun. Royksopp should headline a tent. They should keep Robyn somewhere else so that everyone who wants to hear some stuff that sounds like teeny-bopper pop can go do that and let Royksopp layer sick beats without her.
    I thought you posted a Robyn video on Facebook last week and expressed excitement about seeing her? Or am I mistaken or did your account get hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by medornage View Post
    Sad that no one really paid attention to/liked the opener. Zhala is great, and Robyn is clearly ecstatic about her so there you go. If The Knife released her music, people would go crazy.
    We saw Zhala at Bestival last year. Middle of the day and she came out with a girl on crutches who did a dance routine while seated on a bed. Weirdest fucking thing. I got kind of excited thinking they were going to les out, but alas, they kept it PG. But yeah, her music's enjoyable enough and I'd be interested in hearing a full-length album.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I suspect part of the reason they did 6 fewer songs on Saturday (and probably are doing the same number of songs at each of their performances here) is because it's part of a tour. The Hollywood Bowl show in 2011 was a one-off and if I recall correctly, neither act had been on the road for a while. It's a lot easier for Robyn to play 2 hours and dance her ass off for 20 songs when she's only gotta do it one night instead of over the course of an entire tour, short as that tour may be.
    Eh... I mean, I see where you're going there... but that setlist at the 2011 Bowl show was pretty much in line with her setlists from touring on her own at the time. Just with the added bonus of Royksopp coming out during The Girl & The Robot and None of Dem...

I thought the show was good but slow down. They'd probably be like 9pm Outdoor.

Wish it was just Röyksopp though, love too many of their songs.

Would love to see them headline, especially Röyksopp.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    the only headliners that honestly shouldn't have headlined were the stone roses. robyn and royksopp shouldn't headline either. will they? anything's possible motherfuckers.
    Go back a few years and read the drama about Arcade Fire headlining for the first time. Every time there is a new headliner, people scream that they shouldn't be a headliner. I thought the Strokes co-headlining a few years ago was complete and utter shite. A Robyn/Royksopp combo seems way more feasible than that.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i don't have to go back and read it, and the fact that people bitched about it seems irrelevant. Arcade Fire had already headlined Lolaapalooza and drew a pretty equal crowd to Soundgarden (their #1 headliner that year) at their first reunion show that wasn't at a 1200 person venue. They also headlined Bonnaroo a few months later. Sure, some of the headliners suck, Jack Johnson and the Killers, and the Black Keys to name a few, but to deny that they had put in their dues and had the ability to pull a headliner-sized crowd is just stubbornness.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Shit, remember the ''Who the fuck is Outkast'' twitter onslaught after the lineup this year? Equating morons complaining to ''They shouldn't headline'' is silly. I wouldn't complain if by some miracle Royksopp ends up on the top line but to think it's a pipe-dream. That's all I'm saying.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

The last two years of Coachella have been the least headliner-driven I've ever seen, and I think we're increasingly getting to a place where it really doesn't much matter who headlines. In terms of audience, Muse and Arcade Fire essentially played to draw against Pharrell and Disclosure, right? "Anything's possible" may soon be less of a punchline than we think.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Also, Calvin Harris drew the biggest crowd of the weekend and he was on 3rd that night. Headliners, unless it's something ridiculous like Zeppelin or something, really don't seem to mean much anymore.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I thought you posted a Robyn video on Facebook last week and expressed excitement about seeing her? Or am I mistaken or did your account get hacked?
    I WAS excited to see her. Then she didn't play Fembot or Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do, and the entire thing turned into a way overdone pop meh fest. As soon as Royksopp got back on the stage and actually dropped a beat with some balls, I was so fucking relieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I WAS excited to see her. Then she didn't play Fembot or Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do
    Same - and also no We Dance to the Beat?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Zhala was silly, and looked really out of place on a huge stage with her goofball little setup. I couldn't get into it.

Robyn has a few tracks that I half enjoy. The lasers were good.

I would think they'd book them for mostly combined songs and put them on the main stage or Sahara. No way they'd get a 2+ hour set.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Yeah I was just bummed that I didn't get to see her back in 2011 or whenever the fuck she put that album out, 'cause that must have been a pretty good show. I do have to give her credit though, not necessarily sure that she did this at your show as well, but the balls it took for her to go into Dancing On My Own and when it reached the FIRST chorus to just completely drop all the music and make the crowd sing not one but TWO sets of the chorus was ballsy as shit. Usually you can maybe get a crowd to do that for one of the last sets of the chorus after they've already heard it once or twice, but she was just like, "Fuck you, sing it now! Oh shit, you didn't quite remember how the second group starts, did you? SING IT ANYWAY!"

Friday Main Stage at 7:30 pm Robyn
    Saturday Mojave at 10:00 pm Royksopp
    Sunday Sahara at 8:15 pm Robyn & Royksopp
    Last edited by WhatLies; 07-01-2014 at 01:33 PM.

the balls it took for her to go into Dancing On My Own and when it reached the FIRST chorus to just completely drop all the music and make the crowd sing not one but TWO sets of the chorus was ballsy as shit.
    Yeah, that gave me chills. She's such a fucking badass
    9/19 - CHVRCHES - Hollywood Palladium
    10/7 - Belle and Sebastian - Ace Hotel
    10/16 - Massive Attack - Greek Theatre
    12/5 - Flight Facilities - The Regent Theater

Why does this have to be a dual set rather than just a Robyn set? I'm seeing them next month so maybe I'll get it then, but it seems like full sets from each would be better.

Does anybody believe that Jack Johnson should have headlined? That was ridiculous.
    Jack Johnson sells millions of records, is on the radio constantly, and had played Coachella prior to 2008. Awful headliner no doubt, but it shouldn't have been that big of a surprise.

EDIT* I'm still wondering why Royksopp have never played this thing. I mean, I'm sure GV has approached them at least once.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-01-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I was there this past Saturday in San Francisco for their show at the Bill Graham Civic Center and I was blown away. I missed Zhala due to traffic because we forgot it was Pride weekend in the city (we came from the central valley, Modesto area). Due to the festivities the parking garage took a while to get too and was packed. We got in just as Zhala was ending so I caught the tail end of her last song. It was a waiting game at that point for Royksopp to come on and HOLY SHIT did they blow my mind. I've been waiting 10 years to see them and I've missed every chance which have been few though. It really seemed like they were having a lot of fun though which sent off a great vibe. I freaked out when they opened up with The Drug and got even more excited to hear Eple and Poor Leno. All around great set. Then Robyn came on. THIS WOMEN CAN PUT ON A SHOW!!! I remember catching part of her set at Coachella 2011 but the tent was packed and I remember wanting to see someone else. I think I might have went back to the camp site to get ready to go see Chemical Brothers. Anyways, She blew me away. She had the crowd in the palm of her hands it seemed like. Then came the dual set which I thought was phenomenal and I perfect way to end it all. All the songs on the Do It Again mini album sound great live and you can tell they are having a blast. It may be because it's still really early on in the tour but still an all around fun night. The only spoiler of the night was during "None of Dem" (they're encore song) some tall bro'd out guy with his hussy girlfriend pushed a 55+ elderly lesbian women that was standing next to us which he was pushing to the front (during the last song even). I shoved him and told him to back off and relax. He faded into the crowd after that. As far as seeing them next year at Coachella. I WANT IT SO BAD but I don't know if it'll be the same thing. A Royksopp set alone would get me there. Throw Jamiroqui in there and my money will be well spent. I have a feeling this tour is a one time thing seeing as how both of them are working on new music (Robyn played some new songs in LA from what I understand). I'm not getting my hopes up but one can dream. As to what stage they play, I don't give a shit. I'LL BE THERE.

I WAS excited to see her. Then she didn't play Fembot or Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do...
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    It's weird to me that those would be the songs you two were clamoring for. Love "Fembot" and all but I don't feel it's in the stratosphere of "Call Your Girlfriend" or "Indestructible" or "Dancing On My Own," and the "Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do"/"We Dance to the Beat" mash-up that she did on the 2010-11 tour was my least favorite part of each set I caught.

Yeah I was just bummed that I didn't get to see her back in 2011 or whenever the fuck she put that album out, 'cause that must have been a pretty good show.
    Where were you during her set at Coachella? She had the Mojave going OFF. I was pretty much uninterested in seeing the Chemical Brothers afterward because I knew it wasn't going to compare.

And sure, if they don't headline but each play separate individual sets in addition to a joint performance, and those appearances were spread out over at least 2 days, I would be pretty happy with that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

I walked up to the tent in 2011 but saw the size of the crowd and was like, "oh fuck no, I cannot handle that." Then as I was turning around, she hit the stage and Fembot starting blasting. I had to stop and shake my ass a little, but after that I fled the throng.

Fembot is great live, but Don't Fucking Tell Me doesn't work well live...it's mostly backing tracks.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    Why does this have to be a dual set rather than just a Robyn set? I'm seeing them next month so maybe I'll get it then, but it seems like full sets from each would be better.
    a) because it's time for Royksopp to be there and Robyn to return and b) they are releasing music together and they're touring together.

It's not hard.

Standing in the middle of a big gay Robyn sing-along WAS fun, sincerely it was, but honestly when you bookend her music with two sets of Royksopp it kinda reveals the shallowness of her production quality. I don't mean "shallow" in a superficial way, I mean you can distinctly hear that it's missing entire spectrums of tones compared to what Royk are doing.

I just gotta throw in some support for this one. Considering tickets to their NY show vanished immediately, and I've never seen scalped ones below $200, this would be my only chance to see them together. Gonna be such a great show!

old school

A 50-60 sub headline spot seems like a waste. And having them as a top line act is a bit ambitious.

Can they do a 75 sub spot like My Bloody Valentine in 2009 or a full 100-120 minute set to close out the Sahara?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    Friday Main Stage at 7:30 pm Robyn
    Saturday Mojave at 10:00 pm Royksopp
    Sunday Sahara at 8:15 pm Robyn & Royksopp
    This would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    A 50-60 sub headline spot seems like a waste. And having them as a top line act is a bit ambitious.

Can they do a 75 sub spot like My Bloody Valentine in 2009 or a full 100-120 minute set to close out the Sahara?
    Yes please for the latter option. Put them against The Black Keys should they return next year.

this would be great - def need a new setlist from their Do It Again tour tho - i love them both but was underwhelmed by the show