Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robyn + Royksopp should headline a day

Default Robyn + Royksopp should headline a day

Anyone who's had the privilege of seeing Robyn + Royksopp this tour knows they are more than deserving of a headlining set. I don't know exactly how big Robyn has gotten but I know "Call Your Girlfriend" and "Dancing on My Own" have permeated pop culture through SNL and Girls, and she was on the 2nd line in 2011 and has only become more popular in the intervening years. She played 3 new songs in San Francisco last night, which hopefully bodes well for the release of new material within the next year. That on top of the Do It Again EP with Royksopp, which is fantastic in its own right, would only aid her viability as a headliner even more, especially in a joint appearance with Royksopp. They sold out the Hollywood Bowl in 2011 and this year, so they certainly have a big enough fanbase in southern California, and really a headlining set is the only way Coachella could do justice to having them both perform. Their set last night featured 8 Royksopp songs, 9 Robyn, and 6 joint. I didn't look at my watch once but I imagine it was in the vicinity of 2 hours. They would be too big for the Mojave, the Sahara hasn't been the best fit for acts like them in years, and it would be unusual for a non-headlining act on the Main Stage or Outdoor Theatre to have a 2-hour set time. This has to be one of the acts that Goldenvoice prioritizes for inclusion in next year's lineup and giving them the top slot one of the days would be pretty forward-thinking for a major American festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Default Re: Robyn + Royksopp should headline a day

I won't be there in '15, so it probably will happen.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

they could be the headliner people (except somewhat damaged) think shouldn't be headlining.

they'd be the best one of those ever, mind you. I support this.

I just want them on the lineup. I couldn't give a fuck less if they headlined or not. By the way, do any of you that went to the bay area show have their set list?
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Röyksopp
    The Drug
    Happy Up Here
    Remind Me
    What Else Is There?
    Eple
    This Must Be It
    Senior Living
    Running to the Sea
    Poor Leno

Robyn
    Be Mine!
    Love Is Free
    Set Me Free
    Indestructible
    Work It Out
    Stars 4-Ever
    Call Your Girlfriend
    Dancing on My Own
    With Every Heartbeat

Röyksopp & Robyn
    Sayit
    Every Little Thing
    The Girl and the Robot
    Monument
    Do It Again

Encore:
    None of Dem
    Last edited by getbetter; 06-29-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Thanks for filling in the title of "Work It Out," Zach. When I checked setlist.fm, that was listed as "unknown."

And Jason, trust me, you want them to headline for the reasons I detailed. They (and everyone interested in seeing them) will be best served by having a full 90-120 minutes, which they won't get if they aren't headlining. Mind you, just seeing them at Coachella would be fantastic, but it would be undoubtedly better if they closed out a night.

Looking forward to seeing the Hollywood Bowl show reviews come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I just saw this shit. Lets stop jerking them off THAT hard. Royksopp was good. Robyn was great if you're gay. Would be a poorly attended headliner.

Can't believe they played The Drug! So good.

Your mom should headline a day
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    This is a muthafucking jam right here. Do you guys even get laid?

Why oh why are Hollywood Bowl shows attended by jackasses that talk really loud instead of watching the band?

Other than that, pretty good show.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I just saw this shit. Lets stop jerking them off THAT hard. Royksopp was good. Robyn was great if you're gay. Would be a poorly attended headliner.
    They sold out the entire west coast...I think you are underestimating who would be watching. It would definitely be better attended than the Stone Roses/Blur combo. I wasn't at the Hollywood Bowl show, but the SF show was fantastic. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. When they played the Bowl in 2013, they played for like 3 hours.

I'd say if either is ever going to be on the top line, it would be them together, and in 2015. I'd rather it be these two then some goddamn teenage whore-friendly bullshit like Muse again.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 06-30-2014 at 06:03 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    the SF show was fantastic. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. When they played the Bowl in 2013, they played for like 3 hours.
    Yeah... I really wished they had skipped the opener and just done a longer set themselves... As my friends and I agreed walking out on Saturday night... We weren't mad at anything in the setlist... but still felt like a lot was missing.

My only other complaint for the night was that I would have preferred Anneli Drecker doing vocals for Royksopp over Susanne Sundfor...

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Robyn was great if you're gay.
    Yes... clearly one has to have a predilection for dick in order to appreciate one of the best performers in the pop game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Yeah... I really wished they had skipped the opener and just done a longer set themselves... As my friends and I agreed walking out on Saturday night... We weren't mad at anything in the setlist... but still felt like a lot was missing.

My only other complaint for the night was that I would have preferred Anneli Drecker doing vocals for Royksopp over Susanne Sundfor...
    I guess it's a flaw in the setup. They need to do their individual stuff, but they want to do all of their stuff together. So each just does 8 or 9. It would be great if they ditched their opener and each did like, 15, and then came out and performed their joint work.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I guess it's a flaw in the setup. They need to do their individual stuff, but they want to do all of their stuff together. So each just does 8 or 9. It would be great if they ditched their opener and each did like, 15, and then came out and performed their joint work.
    It doesn't have to be a flaw in the setup though... I mean, even earlier you referenced the last Hollywood Bowl show... No opener, if I recall correctly, and looking back at setlist.fm... 30 songs performed total between the two of them (31 if you count the tease of Dancing Queen Robyn did... but... eh)... vs 24 on Saturday night... That difference would probably have made the difference between leaving completely satisfied vs feeling like things were left out...

Don't ya'll get silly thinking these two can headline coachella. It would be awesome but it just wouldn't happen. Best bet would be on them closing the outdoor stage

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I'm glad the show was so good. I'm taking part of my vacation to see them at Red Rocks for the end of the tour.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Who?

They sold out the entire west coast...I think you are underestimating who would be watching. It would definitely be better attended than the Stone Roses/Blur combo. I wasn't at the Hollywood Bowl show, but the SF show was fantastic. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. When they played the Bowl in 2013, they played for like 3 hours.

I'd say if either is ever going to be on the top line, it would be them together, and in 2015. I'd rather it be these two then some goddamn teenage whore-friendly bullshit like Muse again.
    Royksopp was fun. Royksopp should headline a tent. They should keep Robyn somewhere else so that everyone who wants to hear some stuff that sounds like teeny-bopper pop can go do that and let Royksopp layer sick beats without her.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

The show was amazing. Stars 4Ever ♥

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Sad that no one really paid attention to/liked the opener. Zhala is great, and Robyn is clearly ecstatic about her so there you go. If The Knife released her music, people would go crazy.

Great show anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaharaIsMyHome View Post
    Ex: If you were having sex with 1 girl and 2 others came in to join in, you wouldn't like that? One girl would most likely be riding u while the other two just stand off to the side and wait. eventually you will get ALL 3 on you. that is kind of like what im saying with Swedish House Mafia...3 > 1

Quote Originally Posted by medornage View Post
    Sad that no one really paid attention to/liked the opener. Zhala is great, and Robyn is clearly ecstatic about her so there you go. If The Knife released her music, people would go crazy.

Great show anyhow.
    I ended up pretty much missing the opener... Would have been interested in checking her out. But it should be noted that the comments in here about the desire for a lack of opener shouldn't be seen as a slight on Zhala. More just the desire for longer sets from the two main acts in a setup like this...

Definitely one of the better ideas I've read in three-and-a-half years on this god-forsaken forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Sub before Prince to end 2015.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    Don't ya'll get silly thinking these two can headline coachella. It would be awesome but it just wouldn't happen. Best bet would be on them closing the outdoor stage
    After having blur/stone roses, arcade fire, black keys, gorillaz, and so many other "shouldn't be headliner" acts headline, I fail to see your argument.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the only headliners that honestly shouldn't have headlined were the stone roses. robyn and royksopp shouldn't headline either. will they? anything's possible motherfuckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Does anybody believe that Jack Johnson should have headlined? That was ridiculous.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Any of you you ass licks at Kimmel right now?

I was at the Bowl last night and would love to see a return visit on the Polo Field. However, they won't headline. The only scenario by which I'd believe GV might even consider it would be if they landed two extremely pricey headliners (think Bowie/U2/Zeppelin/Stones/Talking Heads-caliber) and needed an act that wouldn't exhaust their ability to fill out the second and third lines.
    Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl, Aug. 4
    Spoon - Hollywood Forever Cemetary, Aug. 8
    Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium, Aug. 10
    First Aid Kit - Wiltern, Nov. 12
    Coachella - Empire Polo Field, April 17-19

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Why oh why are Hollywood Bowl shows attended by jackasses that talk really loud instead of watching the band?

Other than that, pretty good show.
    As acoustically perfect as the Bowl is, it is one of my least favorite concert venues. You are stuck in your seat and have little desire or reason to get into the show (see dance) when everyone around you is just sitting and staring into space, chatting up their neighbors or texting/talking on their phones. This is why I will be patronizing the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine for NIN in August.

I have pit tix, btw.
    Last edited by kvnty; 06-30-2014 at 09:07 PM.