Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: Coachella 2015: I wanna start a rumor...

Default Re: Coachella 2015: I wanna start a rumor...

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    So...?

Fun.->Arctic Monkeys->Avicii

Sam Smith->Kings of Leon->Tiesto

Iggy Azalea->Pitbull->U2
    Coachella might as well fully jump the shark, this last year was my 6th in a row and I am clearly out of touch/an old man yelling at a cloud/nostalgic of what used to be to have interest for 2015.

Pitbull into U2 would make for an interesting transition though
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

For the record I don't think GV would shoot for Kings of Leon again. U2, Arctic Monkeys do seem like legit contenders.

Sadly, the other headliner will probably be from the pool of:Tool, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, The Black Keys or Kanye West...also, Stevie Wonder would have been a possibility pre-2010.
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

No evidence to support this but no fucking way both Coldplay and U2 headline.

Also The Black Keys are officially out.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

All indications are Arctic Monkeys will shut it down for the foreseeable future following their dates around Life is Beautiful and South America tour in October and November. That would effectively rule them out for 2015, barring a Muse-like one-off.
    Karen O - Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary, Sept. 18
    Slowdive - Theatre at Ace Hotel, Nov. 8
    First Aid Kit - Wiltern, Nov. 12
    Coachella - Empire Polo Field, April 17-19

Wait, was Motoraver the one whose wife left him?
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

I agree with no Coldplay & U2 playing the same year. We can only be subjected to so much blowhard, earnest arena rock in one year. Arcade Fire held that slot last year. So where do we stand?

Foo Fighters
    Eminem
    U2
    ?

Jack White never did a big L.A. show, just a the Fonda, Mayan, Glasshouse. All GV venues...

Just sayin'
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I'm so desperate for any new Tool updates.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    4. Now ask yourself why in 2013 Cliff Burnstein (one of the biggest deals in the music business, arguably bigger than anyone involved with Coachella - http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p...power-top-ten/) felt the need to go to Rolling Stone to champion his booking (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-wire-20130125) of an act that had headlined twice before. Note his satisfaction regarding betting correctly that the festival ultimately would not secure the Stones (which happens to match exactly my posts contemporaneous to the negotiations quoted above, which said, before there were serious rumors online, that talks were happening but nevertheless stated a belief that a booking was ultimately unlikely to happen to impossible because the Stones are simply too expensive for the festival). Think that satisfaction might have to do with those negotiations having led Coachella to force at least one other act to make alternate plans (resulting in Muse adding additional dates just days before the festival announcement), just as I said was occurring at the time?

5. Yes, Burnstein says they "signed" the RHCP deal an hour before the announcement; he also says they'd been in talks for months, just as I'd said (the agreement in principle had in fact happened over a year earlier, according to both me and a moderator on this board). If you think they'd been talking about another act, which act do you think that was (other than the one whose name begins with an M which you insist was never happening)? Ask yourself how well your reading of Burnstein's account squares with Mensch's story here - http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...rty_years_and/. Which do you think is more likely - that Coachella called up Burnstein (I mean talked to Mensch, at a Mexican restaurant in Hollywood) an hour before they were supposed to make an announcement, saying how about RHCP, Burnstein says yes, and Tollett tells someone to call the website and poster guys asap (and, correspondingly, that I magically got my RHCP prediction, which many many people here naysayed, correct just as the clock struck midnight, and that one of the other two acts I predicted magically turned up as a headliner a year later), or that the deal had always been there from the beginning just like I said, and that what actually went down to the wire was Burnstein's trying to get top dollar from Goldenvoice after getting slightly screwed by the Stones move that had ultimately reduced the festival to a single legitimate headlining act, forcing them to bump three subheadliners up to top billing, while Goldenvoice continued to pretend that the Stones were a legitimate booking possibility to try to push Burnstein's ask down.
    http://www.mxdwn.com/2012/10/06/news...13-tour-dates/
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...dd_nyc-ar.html
    Muse announced dates in early October 2012 that took them out of the running. Both Saturdays are open but they weren't going fly cross continent 4 times in 8 days in the middle of a US arena tour with back to back nights on both coasts(2 sets of equipment or not).

The dates were filled in 11 days before Coachella 2013 finally dropped.(January 14th & January 25th).

IMO, the more likely scenario was Muse/QPrime formally agreed to leave 2 April dates unbooked until mid January just to keep some sense of lineup reveal suspense with promoter/manager knowing full well they weren't playing that year. We already know GV makes various managers agree not to release other Spring concert runs known until certain dates in January(especially reunions). GV prefer fans not knowing the big names on the festival until the poster drops, which is hard to do with booking 2 weekends meaning they have be creative with some multi act managers. European promoters have admitted to having "back up" headliners if they are chasing a big fish which is why I think RHCP were contacted early but not under contract until last minute.

As for Subheadliner upgrades, Phoenix said they only reason they gave their album a deadline was a GV offer to headliner(presumably without hearing any material). Obviously a "cheap" headliner to offset any run at the Rolling Stones. Damon mentioned Blur going to the US in the Spring quite early. For Roses/Blur, it's smarter management to headline a smaller festival(ie: Pitchfork) that sub at Coachella - like the Replacements @ Riot fest. Plus the alternating headliner thing must have taken some time to negotiate.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 09-13-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    Any comments on this?
    Totally Respect Stevie.................... but you are a fuckin dooofus

I'm giving this bitch a month before it starts popping off, legit...

Board award nominee: Best Fight About Shit No One Cares About Between Two People That Know Nothing
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths