Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2015: I wanna start a rumor...

old school

Default Re: Coachella 2015: I wanna start a rumor...

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    He's headlined Bonnaroo and the mainstage at Lolla. I don't see why he wouldn't also headline Coachella (or why he'd agree to a sub-headliner booking).
    He didn't headline Outside Lands in 2012.

What was the last "rock" performance at Coachella that drew a majority of festival goers?

BEEBUZZ: A non-headlining set in 2012 carries more weight than 2 headlining sets in 2014 in terms of predicting a potential 2015 headlining set.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    He didn't headline Outside Lands in 2012.

What was the last "rock" performance at Coachella that drew a majority of festival goers?
    Jack White's gotten more popular since 2012 though, no doubt. He's one of the few rock artists under 50 that could headline Coachella in 2015 these days. I honestly think he would draw a bigger crowd than Muse, and Blur/Stone Roses for sure.

1/27 Kevin Hart, 1/30 White Arrows, 1/31 Allen Toussaint, 3/1 Fleetwood Mac, 4/4 Stars, 4/17-4/19 Coachella W2

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE BEE HONEY

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Fuck this would be amazing...
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

12/20 Com Truise @ Glasslands
    12/27 Murs @ The Roxy
    02/05 Bonobo @ Output
    04/10 - 04/12 Coachella Wk 1

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    Jack White's gotten more popular since 2012 though, no doubt. He's one of the few rock artists under 50 that could headline Coachella in 2015 these days. I honestly think he would draw a bigger crowd than Muse, and Blur/Stone Roses for sure.
    thats not saying much... Muse not drawing well still doesn't make sense to me.

Muse was the same time as skrillex. To the people that go now, he's pretty much Jesus. Most of them would go for him over Bowie, probably.
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i think it had more to do with the dust both weekends. i saw skrillex for 30 seconds and his crowd was out the back of the sahara but it didn't seem remotely main stage sized.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    You don't have to draw any kind of majority crowd-wise to headline Coachella. Also, Jack White is definitely a headliner at this point (not the case 2-3 years ago IMO).

EDIT* Jack White is way, way more popular than the Arctic Monkeys in the States, Bumbles. Crunch those numbers, buddy.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 09-03-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Muse was the same time as skrillex. To the people that go now, he's pretty much Jesus. Most of them would go for him over Bowie, probably.
    Muse had also just played three nights at the Staples Center the year before, and were touring behind an album that was critically panned.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

TV on the Radio playing a GV venue in L.A. at the end of this month. Shoe-ins?
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

The sounds was awful during Muse weekend 1. They are a band that are known for being heavy, loud rock band and the wind fucked that up for them. Good set, just a little underwhelming. I don't see how Skrillex had so many fans when you had Muse and Nas doing Illmatic. I just don't understand these people who go see someone (Skrillex) who plays SO MANY festivals/shows each year.

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    The sounds was awful during Muse weekend 1. They are a band that are known for being heavy, loud rock band and the wind fucked that up for them. Good set, just a little underwhelming. I don't see how Skrillex had so many fans when you had Muse and Nas doing Illmatic. I just don't understand these people who go see someone (Skrillex) who plays SO MANY festivals/shows each year.
    the times they are a changin'
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Quote Originally Posted by ballroomdancer22 View Post
    TV on the Radio playing a GV venue in L.A. at the end of this month. Shoe-ins?
    Probably

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Ummm Muse was on as the same time as Nas... Nas was the place to be Saturday night. A bunch of kids at Nas looked like they got lost a long the way to Skrillex.

Nas > Muse > Skrillex..
    Last edited by RapidFireTollBooth; 09-05-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

12/20 Com Truise @ Glasslands
    12/27 Murs @ The Roxy
    02/05 Bonobo @ Output
    04/10 - 04/12 Coachella Wk 1

^Agreed. I was never interested in Muse, but the fact that Nas was the same time made that a simple decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    TRAVI$ SCOTT for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ballroomdancer22 View Post
    the times they are a changin'
    Times aren't that different from 2012. I knew a lot of people (friends of friends) that skipped out on Mo' Fuckin' Radiohead to see KASKADE. I can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that Kaskade 2012 was as crowded as Skrillex 2014. The Sahara will always meet it's quota as it has it's own demographic at coachella. The difference is that the rest of the people showed up for Radiohead in 2012 whereas no one showed up for Muse in 2014.

but as for the top of the poster in 2015, there's a high probability that we see these names: AVICII, Coldplay, The Kinks, Jack White, Massive Attack and Timberlake. The question is whether or not GV will fork out the extra $$$ to add U2, Prince, Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, or NIN to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidFireTollBooth View Post
    Ummm Muse was on as the same time as Nas... Nas was the place to be Saturday night. A bunch of kids at Nas looked they got lost a long they way to Skrillex.

Nas > Muse > Skrillex..
    I was 30 feet from the main stage, center, for Queens of the Stone Age, left to get a drink and hit the bathroom, and was able to walk right back up to the same spot for Muse. It was unsettling how easy it was, then amazing.

1/27 Kevin Hart, 1/30 White Arrows, 1/31 Allen Toussaint, 3/1 Fleetwood Mac, 4/4 Stars, 4/17-4/19 Coachella W2

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    but as for the top of the poster in 2015, there's a high probability that we see these names: AVICII, Coldplay, The Kinks, Jack White, Massive Attack and Timberlake. The question is whether or not GV will fork out the extra $$$ to add U2, Prince, Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, or NIN to the mix.
    I'd expect Coldplay, and definitely Timberlake, to cost more at this point than NIN. Jack White is probably close too.

I highly doubt AVICII would headline a day, especially if someone like Calvin Harris couldn't this year. Also, I might be alone here, but I have a bit of faith in Goldenvoice for booking more quality headliners than artists like Justin Timberlake and Jack White. I've hardly been disappointed with most of the headliners in this fest's history so I hope next year won't be different. A Kinks reunion would be awesome though.

Coldplay, Foo Fighters with what I hope is an out of leftfield awesome get, perhaps a U2, Daft Punk, Prince, Timberlake selection

Quote Originally Posted by mb1234 View Post
    I highly doubt AVICII would headline a day, especially if someone like Calvin Harris couldn't this year.
    To be fair, I don't think anyone anticipated Calvin Harris drawing the biggest crowd in Coachella history:

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i doubt that person was saying avicii would headline any more than they were saying the kinks would headline.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by mb1234 View Post
    I highly doubt AVICII would headline a day, especially if someone like Calvin Harris couldn't this year.
    It's definitely not that he couldn't.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Right. If shitty rock bands can headline why not shitty DJs? There's clearly a draw there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Right. If shitty rock bands can headline why not shitty DJs? There's clearly a draw there.
    I think there is a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    TRAVI$ SCOTT for 2015

People just love to be near a cheese dick pressing play, asking the crowd to make some noise, reminding them where they are, then dropping his name like it was a carpet bomb.
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

old school

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    That's a very low standard. Ignoring Blur/Roses for a moment, what was the last headliner to draw less than 50% of attendees without a weather issue?

If GV wanted rock headliners they had chances to book Neil/Foo/Green Day/Pearl Jam yet they instead decided to book RHCP every album.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    You don't have to draw any kind of majority crowd-wise to headline Coachella. Also, Jack White is definitely a headliner at this point (not the case 2-3 years ago IMO).

EDIT* Jack White is way, way more popular than the Arctic Monkeys in the States, Bumbles. Crunch those numbers, buddy.
    The billing order for OSL 2012 was Metallica/Wonder/Neil/Jack/Foo with Stevie playing after White. Coachella has to sell 3 times as many tickets as OSL and Jack hasn't added much to his legacy beyond another strong single and a vinyl with more features than a swiss army knife. What I am noticing is JW getting a bump in popularity for being a "defacto" best rock band out there(sorta like QOTSA in 2013) and not for having the best album of that given year.

Very few major festivals have given Jack the full headliner treatment and Coachella won't have him do a marathon set. I still say he's a "weak" Coachella headliner unless it's billed as the Stripes OR full of notable guests OR there is a strong co-headliner sharing the top line.

Osheaga 2014 - JW and Arctic Monkeys each headlined their night with little competition
    Lolla 2014 - Arctic Monkeys as alternate to Eminem
    Lolla 2012 - JW headline with Gambino/Kaskade/Justice playing the same time
    'Roo 2014 - JW playing with himself with Zedd/skrillex/kaskade/Darkside right before/after
    OSL 2012 - JW playing before Stevie Wonder.

I saw Jack in a mid size venue in 2012 and 2014 and both were at least 1,000 short of a sell out. The Arctic Monkeys got similar billing as Jack in Montreal and some dates in the Northwest. The Jack show I saw 1 week ago wasn't headline material since it was an off night, and I did notice fans bored nearer the back bored out of their minds when he did non familiar material(ie: half the show)

I don't see how Skrillex had so many fans when you had Muse and Nas doing Illmatic. I just don't understand these people who go see someone (Skrillex) who plays SO MANY festivals/shows each year.
    Only so many thousand attendees do "research" before the festival. With the festival now selling 4 times as many tickets as it's "glory years" that means that 80's of attendees only attend the stuff they already know. That, or they are too messed up to know there's a world outside the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    -Kinks would draw flies with this demographic
    -U2 are probably in Vancouver rehearsing in April and have 8 dates at the Forum in May
    -NIN just finished 15 straight months of live work. 2014 or wait a few years.
    -Fleetwood Mac play the Forum Dec 6th. Other festival can't seem to land them. Their last might have been 1980.
    -Timberlake has 2 LA area shows in late November. Plus Coachella would be his 6th/7th LA area shows
    -2015 will be the 16th year that Pearl Jam said "no". Have they played a festival without single day passes?(In Europe or America?)