Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indie music is dying

Default Indie music is dying

http://grantland.com/features/haim-d...-death-rattle/

I think it has now become pop music and there's not enough bands creating music with emotion .Something can sound pretty and have no soul. Foster the people are a perfect example. I know music fans in my community are leaving our "kroq" station . It's all just pop now with no soul or impressive precision . It's gone to shit . Thoughts?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Indie music is dying

Indie music is more prevalent than ever because of our ability to connect directly to artists and have access to everything at our finger tips. This is dumb. This is also an 8 month old article.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Also WTF is impressive precision?

Also have you considered that you are shit?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Indie music: where did it all go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also where are the music fans in your community going to?

Is it

Other sources by which they are able to listen to indie music?

From this article, I learned Spice Girls were a beacon of everything terrible about mainstream music in '97, but resembling Shania Twain and an Eagles song is a favorable comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Also where are the music fans in your community going to?

Is it

Other sources by which they are able to listen to indie music?
    No nobody gives a shit anymore . They go to old music , they go to metal, they go away from music . It's a shit time for music.All of the new headliners that have emerged the last five years are all shit. Indie music is shit , EDM is shit . Coachella has gone to shit as a direct result of those two genres being compete shit right now .

Have you ever considered that the people you hang out with are all fucking terrible?
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

What's wrong with metal?
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    No nobody gives a shit anymore . They go to old music , they go to metal, they go away from music . It's a shit time for music.All of the new headliners that have emerged the last five years are all shit. Indie music is shit , EDM is shit . Coachella has gone to shit as a direct result of those two genres being compete shit right now .
    i completely agree..i don't think many people on this forum even know what an indie scene is even like..i use to be in the punk scene in the mid 90s to early 00s(ya i know..i'm cooler than you)not the crappy "punk" most of you use to listen to..you know the punk stuff that you use to make fun when y'all were younger..nothing like that scene has even come close to exist..that scene has been dead for many years..but OP is right...most people go toward old music..i mean..look at how popular vinyl is again and how "kewl" it is to buy a talking heads lp..there are few good new bands..everything else is pop music..some of it is good..but most of it is crap..look at the main stage at coachella this year..foster the people..grouple love..naked and famous,msmr,calvin harris..list goes on and on..that's whats in and most people don't care for good quality music..they just like the flavor of the month..to each their own..flame away kids
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Holy fucking shit, that was painful to read
    last.fm

argsgunner consistently wins my vote for worst ever. everything the guy fucking says makes me want to claw my eyes out.

we get it dude.

you hate the board.

you hate everything

we fucking get it

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    argsgunner consistently wins my vote for worst ever. everything the guy fucking says makes me want to claw my eyes out.

we get it dude.

you hate the board.

you hate everything

we fucking get it
    Aww man. Don't claw your eyes out. You need those.
    Lucidity, come back to me. Put all five senses back to where they're meant to be.

lolz...i don't hate the board..what makes me sick is when i've read the craziest shit on this forum throughout the years such as "edward sharpe live is a magical experience"...does anyone even know that they are a fake band that was put together by a major? or how amazing miike snow is..another fake band that was put together..look nothing is wrong with liking either of those acts..but when people consider acts like these "indie"..it's just sad what music is today..and i'm guilty of liking some miike snow stuff.. but i don't consider them indie at all...but indie music is pretty dead..wish the church on york didn't have issues.

on a side note..i'm totally ok with these so called "indie" bands at festivals...i can get as close as i want when i want to watch the mats,nick cave or pulp
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post

we get it dude.

you hate the board.

you hate everything

we fucking get it

but he is like super vip awesome, we have to bow down to him.

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    i completely agree..i don't think many people on this forum even know what an indie scene is even like..i use to be in the punk scene in the mid 90s to early 00s(ya i know..i'm cooler than you)not the crappy "punk" most of you use to listen to..you know the punk stuff that you use to make fun when y'all were younger..nothing like that scene has even come close to exist..that scene has been dead for many years..but OP is right...most people go toward old music..i mean..look at how popular vinyl is again and how "kewl" it is to buy a talking heads lp..there are few good new bands..everything else is pop music..some of it is good..but most of it is crap..look at the main stage at coachella this year..foster the people..grouple love..naked and famous,msmr,calvin harris..list goes on and on..that's whats in and most people don't care for good quality music..they just like the flavor of the month..to each their own..flame away kids
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

What's in the box?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    Please, tell us more about what the glory days were like.

7/1 - Deafheaven @ The Casbah
    7/11 - Cloud Nothings @ Soda Bar
    7/19 - Wolves In The Throne Room @ Che Cafe
    8/5 - Arcade Fire, Spoon, Dan Deacon @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/21 - NIN, Soundgarden, Death Grips @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/22 - Future Islands @ Irenic
    8/23~24 - FYF

I'm sorry your friends have such a treacherous, arduous time finding quality indie music, especially considering it's more readily accessible than every before, unless they like only listen to the radio and read one online music publication. I'm sorry they've given up on music because a massive major festival now also includes radio/pop/shit friendly music for the masses and that they've been unable to move to smaller niche festivals with music that is more suited to them where chances are they will discover even more music that they enjoy.

That article is dumb, and the OP worded it wrong, but the main sentiment is right. Pointless thread since we've discussed it a million times over the past few years, but yeah.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Grantland needs to stick to sports...
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

I'm sorry your friends have such a treacherous, arduous time finding quality indie music, especially considering it's more readily accessible than every before, unless they like only listen to the radio and read one online music publication. I'm sorry they've given up on music because a massive major festival now also includes radio/pop/shit friendly music for the masses and that they've been unable to move to smaller niche festivals with music that is more suited to them where chances are they will discover even more music that they enjoy.
    This is complete nonsense. They have moved on but the fact remains the indie scene is garbage as a majority. It's done , if you can't see the writing on the wall your just not as bright as your angry vocabulary suggests.

And precision means perfection to me , this bands like the Notwist who can plan a song like a symphony. It's mathematical and precise . It's beautifully perfect .

I think it has now become pop music and there's not enough bands creating music with emotion .Something can sound pretty and have no soul. Foster the people are a perfect example. I know music fans in my community are leaving our "kroq" station . It's all just pop now with no soul or impressive precision . It's gone to shit . Thoughts?
    This article is such bullshit. These "genres" are marketing terms and they never were as rigid as (some) people take them to be.

Also I found the article this most reminded me of (which I called bullshit on at the time), about the new Vice Records and how they were offering such an alternative to the stale indie out there at the time... in 2005.

I feel like there has been created, in the past two to three years, an indie-yuppie establishment. Bands like Death Cab for Cutie, Iron and Wine, the Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, they are great bands, really great bands, with great albums, great songs, high quality. And to me, it’s just so fucking boring,” he says. “It’s like fancy-coffee-drinking, Volvo-riding music for kids. And kids should be listening to music that shakes them up more, makes them uncomfortable. … I don’t think we’re ever going to sign an indie rock band. … I want to sign stuff that is more immediate and shakes you up a bit.
    Their answers, of course, were Bloc Party, Death from Above 1979 and the Stills.

I am sure there were similar musings on usenet and in impassioned zines in the early 90s. And in whatever writing formats were available in the late 70s. And so on, forever. Music is music and genre labels can be useful but they're never going to be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

That's all without questioning why people are calling Haim an indie pop band in the first place (since I don't really remember what they sound like and, again, genre label fights are even less interesting than their music). And without talking about twee, a significant subset of indie pop over the ages that has none of the anger and aggression that writer wants.

The "indie scene" isn't a scene and is a ridiculous way of looking at anything. Listen to music. If you like it, continue listening. Maybe check to see related bands and collaborators, their tour mates and label mates if you want but there's no package deal and pay very little attention to the genre labels used by music critics and thinkpiece writers. There's not a story here. There's plenty of great music available; trying to follow a genre as an identity is such a cartoonish high school thing to do.

I mean, really, this is bullshit "I'm calling Fucked Up a punk band rather than an indie band and I can't figure out why indie is so quiet".
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I've never been to Coachella and I'm new to the forum, but I can tell it totally sucks ass. </sarcasm>

At the end of the day, at least in NJ, an issue for independent music--if that is the big tent you are going for--is there are no longer places for it to form and survive. Local bars hardly support original music, record stores dimly exist and established venues are quickly being eaten up by monstrous bullies like Bowery Presents or the Live Nation folks. When Maxwell's closed, the region lost a place that could support music from the bottom up. Regardless of who owns what, musicians will always find an outlet to get their stuff out there and with the access of the Internet, artists can achieve success without sacrificing their values.

I think it has now become pop music and there's not enough bands creating music with emotion It's all just pop now with no soul or impressive precision
    This is complete nonsense. They have moved on but the fact remains the indie scene is garbage as a majority. It's done , if you can't see the writing on the wall your just not as bright as your angry vocabulary suggests.
    Yes, by all means, let's talk about intelligible vocabulary, oh you with the empty platitudes. You actually haven't even provided a cogent definition of "indie" beyond it being a category that Foster the People and Haim fit into, and beyond being something that used to be better on KROQ-esque radio stations. Which is pretty fucking limited scope of a definition to begin with, and also completely wrong. Your argument is tantamount to something as baseless as "all dance music is garbage now" or "rock music is dead" because you dislike whatever is played on the most mainstream channel and have no interest in taking some time to dig deeper. I absolutely agree with you that what is dominating the air waves of what kids listen today is laughable garbage, but indie is not dead and is not dying. Have you ever listened to anything off of the Slumberland label or Woodsist? Are you familiar with any of the acts on the Harvest Record's (an indie record store in Ashville) 10th anniversary festival? Aware that a Sunny Day in Glasgow and Bear in Heaven are releasing new albums this year? Ever listened to Son Lux? KINS is an indie band that I saw at Noise Pop last year that was pretty good, and new. Posse's album Soft Opening is an excellent 'indie' release. Check that out, too.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-10-2014 at 08:29 AM.

If you want to listen to artists that are not big radio hit artists, just come to message boards like this. I get new artists to listen to all the time on this message board alone. If you bank on the radio telling you what to listen to, you will never find anything "new" or really "indie" because the majority of the artists on the radio are either years into their careers and are now away from their Independent label. now for electronic music, you just have to stray away from the charts and just dig, dig, and keep digging. There are tons of great electronic artists/bands out there that just dont get booked because the target audience has not taken the risk to find anything new. Disclosure is a prime example, no one was listening or playing Disclosure when i first heard them a year an half ago and i was so excited to see them at coachella 2013. A few months later more people are listening, now EVERYONE wants to tell me about them and how much they love their songs. It is just venturing out. So dont say indie and electronic music is dead just because you havent found anything new or interesting.

And, really, what's wrong with metal?
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****