Thread: Car Camping vs Tent Camping

Default Car Camping vs Tent Camping

Outside of the obvious (size of the spot, parking away from your camp site) whats the diffference between tent camping and car camping? Is either one in a better location? one crazier than the other?

Default Re: Car Camping vs Tent Camping

Last year tent camping was near the entrance to the lot which was far from the main gate. Car camping is larger, crazier and better location than tent last year but I do not know how it will be set up this year.

Other than the 3 things you mentioned, not much. The last 3 years I've camped (always in tent), camp has been in 3 separate locations. 09, tent was in a great location with really soft grass. 10 was decent, had our own little area and away from the dusty roads that cars drove by on. Last year, tent camping location itself left a lot to be desired. Sharp, dead, grass and right next to the horse stables. A bit of a walk, but not bad. Close to showers and potties. It served its purpose just fine of holding our canopy to shade us from the sun and keep our beers cold.

Tent camping sucked ass last year. They put us in the furthest lot on what I can't even call grass, it was dirt and dried up weeds. Being next to the horse stables meant there was always the stench of poo in the air.
    When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power…like God must feel when he’s holding a gun.

For those that did tent camping in 2011, what was it like getting your stuff from car to camp site? Did they have a drop off spot? Or did you park and then walk to the campsite? It looks like I'm camping solo and wondering how far I'll have to lug all my shit in multiple trips.

Last time I camped (2009), it was ONLY tent camping and it was kind of a hassle to get all your shit thru security even with 2 people.

In 2011 the parking for camping was not far from the actual tent camping area. Who knows how it will be this year as they seem to mix it up a lot and as Loopy mentioned...it has been different each of the last 3 years so no real way to count on where it will be this year.

Car camping>tent. In every way.
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

You can ride a bike around right? Just not in the actual music venue / polo grounds. Other than that you can ride through the camp sites?
    Reee hee hee hee heallyyyyy?

The Camping FAQ is really worth reading ...scroll all the way down.
    Can I bring a bicycle? Are there local places to rent a bicycle?

RIDING/PARKING:
    Yes. Find parking/locking area at your own risk. No bikes allowed in Venue.
    RENTING:
    You should check HERE or HERE.

Thanks. I did see that but just wanted to reiterate as far as everything outside of venue. They sell foldable bikes for $200 looks worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Bicycl.../dp/B001SJ9U9E
    Reee hee hee hee heallyyyyy?

I did tent camping last year, and switching to car camping this year. Not having to haul all of your stuff from parking in and of itself is worth it. Add to that the fact that you can charge your phone from the car, and other conveniences that having the car nearby brings. Also, the majority of car camping locations are closer to the venue and the food row, which is something you will want in the morning.

One thing that was good about the tent camping lot is that there was a bit of a hill on the eastern edge of it, so if you'd pitch your tent right under it, you'd get shade (and about 90 more minutes of sleeping time) in the morning. Alas, my friend refused to pitch there, as it was by a trashcan. A stupid reason (as there was nothing but empty 12-pack boxes in it 3 days later) and not worth having less sleep. If it's in the same location this year, be sure to grab those easternmost spots.

thanks for the tip, dumbfound. were they pretty flexible about choosing your own campsite? the years I camped, they just put you next to the people walking ahead and behind you.

You could grab any open spot. We had two passes and grabbed two adjacent spots, but no one ever checked if we had two passes to occupy two spots, so...

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverCat View Post
    Tent camping sucked ass last year. They put us in the furthest lot on what I can't even call grass, it was dirt and dried up weeds. Being next to the horse stables meant there was always the stench of poo in the air.
    with tons of sticky, prickly things. I watched early morning joggers run through it barefoot with a head-held-high air of "I'm getting my workout in, isn't this lovely?". Wankers.
    100% Caffeinated

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants View Post
    For those that did tent camping in 2011, what was it like getting your stuff from car to camp site? Did they have a drop off spot? Or did you park and then walk to the campsite? It looks like I'm camping solo and wondering how far I'll have to lug all my shit in multiple trips.

Last time I camped (2009), it was ONLY tent camping and it was kind of a hassle to get all your shit thru security even with 2 people.
    When I arrived, they had little shuttles that came to tent camping parking and picked you up and took you to tent. If they're still doing that, you could probably get all your stuff in one trip on the shuttle. But again, it's been different every year and I'm sure those shuttles are not running 24 hours on Thursday so it depends when you get there, if they have enough, if they have them at all etc etc. You couldn't drive to camp and drop off your stuff and then drive out. The good part is that there's no security at the camp gates (like in 09) since they searched you already when you drove in.

Its soooooo far (tent camping)

I had lot 8 right by the Safari H&M tents. Fucking tits McGee.

Looks like Tent camping has a nicer spot this year! (Maps are posted on Main site and in other threads so not reposting here.)

That is a significant improvement.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Oh god, it definitely is. I'm kicking myself for not having tried to get tent camping passes sooner than I did.

When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power…like God must feel when he’s holding a gun.

That is a significant improvement. I would have thought twice about switching to car camping if I knew that the location would be so improved.

The big factor to car camping is heat. You will probably wake up around 8:00 and be unable to continue sleeping in your tent from sheer heat. If you heave a car camping spot, you can pop in the back seat, turn on the air conditioning for a few hours, and actually sleep until the festival starts again. Green? No. But if the earth fights with me I will fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Virrago View Post
    The big factor to car camping is heat. You will probably wake up around 8:00 and be unable to continue sleeping in your tent from sheer heat. If you heave a car camping spot, you can pop in the back seat, turn on the air conditioning for a few hours, and actually sleep until the festival starts again. Green? No. But if the earth fights with me I will fight back.
    This year I am bringing a bag of potatoes for asshats like you.

are you gonna make french fries? cuz I like french fries.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

I'll let you add the crabz.

So you're going to suffocate your neighbors with exhaust fumes jut because you're a bit hot? Fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverCat View Post
    So you're going to suffocate your neighbors with exhaust fumes jut because you're a bit hot? Fuck you.
    Agreed. Not cool. Luckily none of our neighbors did this last year. We DID turn on our truck for one day to charge everyone's phones (including a bunch of neighbors' phones). Kept it to like 30-45 minutes.

It is because of douches like this who can't handle the desert that I choose Tent Camping year after year!!

But to answer the original question...car camping is more party...because people have electricity but it sucks because of the gas fumes from douches like Virrago. Also with car camping it is harder to organize a camping group to stay together because people working the festival are tools. With tent camping group spots are easier to coordinate.

Coachella 2012 part deux

Tent>Car, but alas I was not able to get tent camping because I missed the presales. FUUU!!
    Coachella

Crack your window down a bit, run a hose from your exhaust in between your door and window. Sit back and enjoy.

great info