Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Personnel Incompetence

Default Security Personnel Incompetence

I have attended Coachella every year for the past 6 years and 2014 was the first year that I saw this scale of total incompetence from the security personnel. It was apparent that for the vast majority had never done this before. They were both very rude and had zero knowledge about the festival grounds or the proper routes to take to parking lots or the direction to walk to make it to certain surrounding streets. On multiple occasions I saw them misdirect hundreds of groups of people in the wrong direction only to see them have to turn around after walking half a mile. How is this possible that these people were so ill informed. That there was no general coordination of any kind and that they were so disrespectful to the festival goers. This is NOT what I experienced in previous years. Please fire this security organization you hired and use another firm.

Default Re: Security Personnel Incompetence

The maps come out in plenty of time to print them out yourself. Why rely on a bunch of people who show up on Friday for a festival they have no knowledge of, no incentive to gain knowledge of, etc.? Security is there to keep things secure, it's in their name. They are not traffic control, in charge of directing people. So much information available at our fingertips within seconds, yet taking those precious few seconds to do so has gone the way of the dodo.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

steve hits the nail on the head. there's no time to train everyone one everything they should know, or would know if they worked at coachella 4 days a week like a normal job. not to mention the dudes with megaphones shouting IF YOU'RE NOT SURE WHERE TO GO ASK.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I thought the Coachella security and staff were better than they've ever been this year---lots of "have a good time," "enjoy yourselves," and a lot less searching hassles. Granted, I didn't have to ask them any questions because I have attended for years now, and I AlSO know how to read a map. I see you want everyone "fired." Time to get a life!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

Lurker

Attended the last 6 years and still lost??

Quote Originally Posted by kellybuck99 View Post
    I thought the Coachella security and staff were better than they've ever been this year---lots of "have a good time," "enjoy yourselves," and a lot less searching hassles. Granted, I didn't have to ask them any questions because I have attended for years now, and I AlSO know how to read a map. I see you want everyone "fired." Time to get a life!
    I noticed the same thing from security and only got called, "ma'am," once. No complaints here!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by markinetic View Post
    Attended the last 6 years and still lost??
    Exactly. I'm a slow learner, but after six years things are running pretty smooth for me. Check your math.

I've been to Coachella 7 out of the last 8 years and I thought this year's hired staff was worse than any previous years. I had a few frustrating encounters with hired staff members this year.

While walking from the parking lot (Lot 14) to the Polo Field, we had staff direct us to walk on the right side of the dirt road. So after walking down the right side for a several yards, we had another staff member yelled that we were walking on the wrong side of the road and to cross over to the left side. So again after walking a few yards we had another staff member yell that we was walking on the wrong side of the road and to cross back over to the right side. I told him that what was going on and he response was "I'm Sorry, I know" I parked in the same lot 5 of the 6 days this year and this happened 3 times. I assume they wanted people to walking on a certain side so as to stay away from the vehicles going up and down the road. That makes sense but if the staff is in charge of traffic control then they should know where to direct the traffic.

Also during bag check one day, the person checking my bag took everything out of my bag and set it on the table and then told me that I was OK to enter. The staff member handed me my empty bag and I had to made me to put everything back myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm for through bag checks but if they are going to take everything out then they should have to put it back.

Also on the Saturday of weekend 2, we were walking to the gates before they opened and were stopped several hundred yards away and were not allowed to walk any further. After waiting for several minutes someone asked what was going on and the staff members response with "Well the gates don't open until 11 so it doesn't matter if I let you go or not." Yes that is true but it was as rude and unnecessary. I also assume that this didn't coming from Goldenvoice either as we were allows to walk up to the gates prior to them opening on Sunday.

I know in the scheme of things these are very small complaints but when you have people yelling at your or pulling unnecessary crap it doesn't help the experience. Coachella is so well run that it's almost like we, or at least I, have an unrealistically expect perfection in all aspects of the festival.

I will say that I did encounter, what seemed to be, very experience and polite staff members too. Not everyone was bad. More good encounters than bad but more bad encounters than any previous year. Having gone to festivals in both of the last two weekends since Coachella I will say that Coachella is a heck of a lot more organized than other festivals. All of the negative experiences I had this year came from younger people. I don't want to condemn all the young staff members as I had pleasant in counters with youngs staffers too.

Quote Originally Posted by bullcat View Post
    Also during bag check one day, the person checking my bag took everything out of my bag and set it on the table and then told me that I was OK to enter. The staff member handed me my empty bag and I had to made me to put everything back myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm for through bag checks but if they are going to take everything out then they should have to put it back.
    Are you serious? Security has a job to do...you know, like searching people? It will slow everything down if they have to repack every assholes water bottle and extra t shirts. Complaing about packing your own bag after a search, lol.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

Bullcat is throwin' out some bullshit.

I thought the gate security did a great job this year. I never encountered too long of a line and when I did they picked up the pace or brought in new people to search. I had one guard find a frozen water bottle and was intelligent enough to realize it could not be alcohol, so let me in with it, but I had to pour out the second liquid water bottle.

The staff inside the festival at the beer gardens was awesome. They were high-fiving people as they entered the beer gardens, dancing with them, saying "have a good time" and most importantly moving the line along.

I never had a problem with security this year. They even felt me up every day when I entered. Bonus.

Seemed like security was pretty good this year. Only real thing I noticed was that during both Title Fight and Anti-Flag the security guys at the front of the stage were manhandling a few of the crowd surfers it appeared. Seemed like they didn't want the catch the crowd surfers, but instead they were trying to toss them back into the crowd. Never seen this kind of thing done before. Except for that they did a good job it seemed like.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

I almost killed a security guard this year . True Story

You need to peel a few layers off that onion, so we can get the whole story.

I agree that security was actually pretty good this year (high fives, saying have a good time and such, just acting generally positive) except they took some things away from me which I suppose I'm not allowed to bring there

Edit: Actually after further thought, your security person is much more likely to be a douche if it's one of the blue shirt ones
    Last edited by SanDiegoChella; 05-07-2014 at 03:55 PM.

the worst line I ever encountered was on Saturday when I went into onsite camping to check it out...it took 45 minutes to get back into the fest.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    Are you serious? Security has a job to do...you know, like searching people? It will slow everything down if they have to repack every assholes water bottle and extra t shirts. Complaing about packing your own bag after a search, lol.
    Explain to me how dumping a bag out is necessary for a security search? I've had to go through bag searches at various events for 15-20 years and I've never had that happen. Is that necessary now? Please explain.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bullcat View Post
    Explain to me how dumping a bag out is necessary for a security search? I've had to go through bag searches at various events for 15-20 years and I've never had that happen. Is that necessary now? Please explain.
    they asked me to dump my bag out on friday wknd 2. it was fuckin' fine.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

The only mildly annoying experience I had was being told I couldn't leave a beer garden with a water bottle.

You know why they do that right? To make sure that you aren't putting alcohol in your water bottle.

I understand that you say it was only "mildly annoying", but I really don't understand what "mildly annoying" is even supposed to mean. You are either annoyed or not annoyed. It's ok if you were and if so then you should just say "YES THAT WAS ANNOYING" but instead you pass it off in this passive aggressive manner which isn't helpful to anyone.

events for 20 years and you've never had to dump out your bag before Coachella 2014?

wow, that's either a massive lie or you're insanely lucky when it comes to that....

I've never had to dump out my bag.

The worst time I had with security was back in 2010 when I wore a total bright raver outfit (short shorts and neon yellow top) and my fanny pack, and security looked in every teeny tiny pocket and moved stuff around.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

amyzzz,

I tend to disregard anything with you're name attached to it.
    I don't believe you either. and I know you're not that lucky...

Well you're an idiot then because everyone knows I always tell the truth, to a fault.

My only complaint every year is that when they are doing the bag searches and pat-downs, it's completely different depending on which person you get conducting the search. They still rarely let anyone bring umbrellas through, even though they haven't been listed as a "banned item" for years... Also, this year on day 3 of weekend 2 a security girl wouldn't let my wife bring her migraine medicine through. When we told her that we had brought it in the prior two days with no problem, her rude response was "well, it must not have been at THIS checkpoint" ... Eventually the girl next to her said it was okay and she let us through, but you don't have to be that rude about it. She makes it sound as if everyone else was making a mistake and that she would have caught it if it had been her, or anybody at THAT security point.

UMBRELLLAS! OH NOES! Apparently you can BUY those parasol/umbrella things within the venue and sometimes they will let you bring them back in, but you cannt bring your own personal umbrella in. It's a bitch. I complained about that like 8 or 9 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    You need to peel a few layers off that onion, so we can get the whole story.
    I'll just say that a blue shirt tried to act, what you would call "Hood" in the ghetto, towards me. Little did the punk know that Indio is my HOOD and handled him like a BOSS. The look on his face when he saw me backstage behind the Gobi tent...Priceless !

High 5ing everyone was cheesy.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.