Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artists You Had Chance to Catch But Skipped & Now Question/Kick Yourself For Missing

Default Re: Artists You Had Chance to Catch But Skipped & Now Question/Kick Yourself For Miss

actually do feel a bit better. Thanks

Default Re: Artists You Had Chance to Catch But Skipped & Now Question/Kick Yourself For Miss

Weekend 1

QOTSA...I tried, but couldn't breathe thanks to the dust storm. Had to go back to camp, get the mask I forgot, and decided chill for around 20 minutes in the car to give my lungs a break. Heard the whole set, then walked back for Pharrell & a good chunk of Muse. After muse I was so exhausted that I ended up skipping any of PSB.

So mine are QOSTA & PSB. Ugh. I shouldn't have been such a pussy and just gone! Missing darkside at that time sucked too but that was purely due to conflicts.
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

hasn't happened yet fortunately
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    You made the right decision. From what I understand, the crowd for Thom Yorke was ridiculous. Also, you're probably never going to see something like Orbital>Plastikman in the Sahara again.
    Orbital > Plastikman was one of the greatest things ever. So glad I stayed for that in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    You made the right decision. From what I understand, the crowd for Thom Yorke was ridiculous. Also, you're probably never going to see something like Orbital>Plastikman in the Sahara again.
    Thank you, appreciate the reassurance and agreed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    HEY CONGRATULATIONS HOW WAS IT??1?!?!
    Thank you, well worth it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    This won't make you feel any better for missing it, but Calvin was my 2nd fave thing that year (after Cut Copy). The set was a ton of fun with *actual music being performed*. Sadly, I loathe him, his music and everything he stands for now, and feel irrationally betrayed by the direction he's gone! It's like the ultimate in selling out. Yes, I know he doesn't owe me or his other original fans anything, but it just seems like a huge slap in the face, and I cringe to think of him now. Sad times, Calvin. Sad times.

I did the exact same thing (watched the beginning, left for Scissor Sisters) and really regret it. At the time I was super into the new SS album, and while it was fun, I kind of can't believe I chose them over this AF performance. I missed the ball drop and we were running like hell trying to catch the end but only heard maybe 30 seconds of the end of Sprawl II. Such a bummer. Would definitely change my choice there if I could. This year, we still didn't catch most of their set (you'd think I'd learn!) - watching Disclosure, some Duck Sauce, peeking in on Netsky and Lucent Dossier beforehand, but managed to watch a solid 4-5 songs at the end that were AWESOME!!! Festival highlight for me, beautiful ending to the weekend. In hindsight I would have watched more of this and less of the other stuff, though Duck Sauce had some really good parts toward the end (NOT referring to B. Streisand)

Can't fault you for choosing what you did, but the Arctics were INSANE that year. That performance was basically pure sex so you would have won either way, haha. The Arctics are one of my favorite bands, especially after they released the AM record... that ish is ridiiiiiculously great. Can't wait to see them again, hoping at Coachella 2015.

Some of my worst regrets:
    - This one is a bit of a long story, but it was soooo bad I have to tell it. The grandaddy of stupid decisions for me was in 2008. At the time, I was still in college, and had an "important" midterm at 9 am in a key class Monday morning after the festival that I had requested to take later and the teacher refused. At the time, I desperately wanted to go to grad school, so grades were super important to me and this class was one of the most important for my intended academic path. It broke my heart, but my sister and I left the festival around 8pm that Sunday, right after Sons & Daughters played (great set btw), missing SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO/CHROMEO/JUSTICE IN Sahara!!!! I still can't believe I willingly chose that fucking midterm. What a LOSER!!!

Anyway, we drove all night back to NorCal, making it back around 7:30 am. I decided to try and "nap" for half an hour - woke up at 9:15 am!!!!! I ran for my life to the class where everyone was already halfway through the test. I sat down and started writing as fast as I could and thought I finished and did well, just in time. Flash forward to getting the test back - it turns out I had totally MISSED answering one question, so instead of getting an A, I got a fucking C-. I WANTED TO DIE and I still do thinking about this story now. In hindsight, I would have said FUCK THAT MIDTERM because even getting a zero on it, I probably still would have gotten a B in the class. And I didn't even go to grad school anyway, so the whole ordeal was for nothing. In conclusion, BOO ME; WHAT AN IDIOT.

- In 2013 I had an important work event I was on the planning committee for on Sunday, so I went to the first 2 days of the fest and flew home early Sunday morning. It turned out fine overall, and was by far the weakest day of the fest for me lineup wise, so I really don't dwell on this one too terribly. Still, I really would have liked to see Disclosure, the Faint, La Roux, and Grimes especially.

- 2007 was my first year going, and I didn't understand how critical lineup research is to getting the most out of the festival. Because of this, I missed an embarrassing amount of acts that would shortly afterwards become some of my favorite bands - to name a few, Klaxons, Justice, Digitalism, Junior Boys, Peeping Tom, MSTRKRFT. Because of this, every year since I have obsessively looked up every single act on the lineup, just to make sure I don't miss out on anything again like that first year.

Of course there are some other conflicts in there that make me sad, but these are definitely the most glaring things I'd love to go back and have another chance to do over.
    Responses in sequential order to your paragraphs…..

Couldn't agree with you more on Calvin emHarrisment these days. I caught the last song or so from Cut Copy that year and was pleasantly surprised.

How was Netsky?! He's probably in my top 3 or 5 for electronic producers (spanning the entire electronic music spectrum) and live is incredible, was stoked to see him on the lineup this year, and especially the much deserved slot to close down the festival, but against AF, fuck my life. Had to catch a full AF Coachella set this time around and no regrets there. I also heard Duck Sauce were really fun, I have yet to catch them but will definitely do so at some point.

Cool, Arctic Monkeys are one of the big name bands I've never seen nor even explored, looks like it's about my time to do so, good to know, thanks :-)

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hindsight is a bitch isn't it?!

The Faint's playing a few shows a month from now at the Independent, La Roux's coming to SF in July, you might already know this but there you go. :-)

That's how I roll now too, no more such hindsight heartbreaks as a result ;-)

We live, we learn, we conquer Coachella next time ;-)
    Last edited by kuuguy; 05-04-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dillycup View Post
    absolute same issue here. im sure those shows were great
    Woodkid started off slow but built up to a frenzied finale! Would have loved to Caravan over to the Gobi Palace but was getting Knifed nice and deep and loving every second of it. :-) Very curious to hear review of CP though for anyone who caught their set. Anyone???...

Quote Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, Caravan Palace wasn't as good as the last time I saw them.
    Ahh, good to know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Orbital > Plastikman was one of the greatest things ever. So glad I stayed for that in 2010.
    Agreed, it was some of the most euphoric hours of my life, Plastikman especially!