Thread: Local Music in Your Area

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Local Music in Your Area

I searched but couldn't find a local music thread except Drinky's zoo thread and Ron's review thread.

Post local act's videos and info in here. Keep it small. I won't post Prince or Bob Dylan (both local to me) videos or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Default Re: Local Music in Your Area

Underground Cities is one of my favorite Phoenix area local bands. They are a post-rock outfit from Chandler which is where I currently live. This is one of the only local bands that I regularly make an effort to go see, often times going to a venue to see them open for some band and leaving after they play. They are are extremely nice dudes with full time jobs and families, are are always extremely grateful for people showing up to see them play and for buying their merch.

Destruction Unit isn't technically local anymore since they are signed to Sacred Bones and get national media attention, but that does not stop them from playing at least 4 or 5 times a month in Phoenix. The lead singer originally played in Reatards with Jay Reatard. For those that may not be familiar, Destruction Unit play psychedelic noise punk, and they play it really fucking loud. Their music sounds like a psilocybin trip in the middle of the desert. These guys get to open for basically any punk or heavy act that comes through town, so I have had the pleasure of seeing them open for Iceage, Black Lips, Deafheaven, and Parquet Courts.

This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Dad's Acid (Duluth, MN)

I'm seeing them for the first time tonight. These guys just formed last summer and haven't played to many shows. They've been described as fuzzed-out doom-surf.
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Gold-Bears is my favorite Atlanta band. They're signed to Slumberland and they released their debut album, Are You Falling in Love?, in 2011. Their new one, Dalliance, is due out in June. Sporting a heavy C-86 influence – especially early Wedding Present – their stuff is jangly perfection. Along with the older video below, their new single, "For You," is reviewed and streaming right here at Pitchfork.

I also had the good fortune to meet their singer and drummer on line for Record Store Day in 2013, just hanging out and planning to buy Stephen Malkmus' Can album. Not only are they super nice guys, but it turns out their drummer was just finishing his Master's Degree in the department where I teach, and he tutored undergrads in our Writing Center. Useful for trivia only.
    Last edited by roberto73; 04-27-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

San Diego

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Vinyl Station (Phoenix, AZ) - Two piece, singer-songwriter/rock band. Phoenicians, go see them them this Thursday at Crescent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Neutron View Post
    Vinyl Station (Phoenix, AZ) - Two piece, singer-songwriter/rock band. Phoenicians, go see them them this Thursday at Crescent.

These guys are great, I saw them open for Jimmy Eat World in Casa Grande last year.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Today is day 3 of the 8 days of Duluth Homegrown 2014. The local music festival showcases 200 bands over 8 days in close to 40 venues in Duluth and Superior.

Tonight I am seeing a couple bands that I think are pretty great.

Red Mountain
    They started out with just 2 people and have grown to a dozen over the last few years. They remind me a lot of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros with their size and style of music.

Retribution Gospel Choir
    Formed in 2007, this is one of Low's Alan Sparhawk's 5 projects. RBC also incluides Low's bassist Steve Garrington and local band Actual Wolf's Eric Pollard.

Last edited by Neighborhood Creep; 04-29-2014 at 09:37 AM.

I fucking love RGC.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I fucking love RGC.
    Nice. I haven't been able to catch them in about 4 years so I'm pretty stoked about tonight. Sparhawk has 4 projects in this fest: Low, RGC, Murder of Crows, and Black Eyed Snakes.

I've posted these guys a couple of times on the forum. They're my friends, but i was a fan of their music before I actually started hanging out with them so I'm not completely biased. The bands called Wax Children.They're from Covina, CA(SGV). They're not a crazy lets get drunk and party band so I feel like they get overlooked alot because of the whole Burger/Lollipop record scene thats happening in LA right now. They're also all really cool humble guys. They don't have much money for peddles or any expensive equipment, or anything at all in general, but they make up for it by having some genuine talent. Everything they've put out so far has been self recorded in the guitarist garage.
    So far they've put out three EP's. Two of them are up for free Download (I Linked it in their name up there). Each of their EP's has its own sort of feel so far which is pretty cool. They're sound is really chaotic but they have some really good melodies to lead you through haze of sound that they create. They also have some really great lyrics.

Taylor Upsahl (Phoenix, AZ) - 14 year old singer-songwriter with a nice acoustic cover of Alt-J's Breezeblocks:

Listen to her full length on spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/2Rp9KGMF8p6WpGotXbkj2W

I like this band quite a bit:

The kill it live, and my daughter has a crush on the singer.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Blac Jesus & The Experimentalists. They can really lay it down live. Jazz/rock/some really pure soul coming from this band. Really down to earth guys ass well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Nice. I haven't been able to catch them in about 4 years so I'm pretty stoked about tonight. Sparhawk has 4 projects in this fest: Low, RGC, Murder of Crows, and Black Eyed Snakes.
    Retribution Gospel Choir was my first local show when I moved to Minneapolis four years ago. It was such a great initiation to the Minnesota music scene.

Here's a video I took of Low (Duluth MN) that I took a couple weeks back at our Homegrown Music Festival. This was the 6th time I've seen them this year in Duluth, and they have a couple more bigger shows lined up for the area as well. Going 20 years strong.

Southwire (Duluth, MN) My gf is good friends with the female singer. They've been pretty big in the MN music scene over the last couple years. The male singer is a pretty solid rapper too, Crew Jones.

Charlie Parr (Duluth, MN) He's a good mix of folk, blues, and bluegrass. He plays here almost weekly, and has started touring around the world. I guess he has a decent following in the UK and Australia due to his music being in some movie. He's probably my favorite local small name guitar player.

Black Eyed Snakes (Duluth, MN) Another Alan Sparhawk band. I finally got to see them for the first time a couple weeks back, with the addition of Charlie Parr (see above) and it was my favorite set of the 200 act local music festival.

Neighborhood Creep, do you like Romantica? They're one of my favorites from your neck of the woods. I think their singer Ben Kyle is doing it solo now.

The Silent Comedy out of San Diego, California. one of my favorite bands to watch live..