Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Lana Del Rey fans teach a course in being a terrible crowd

Default Re: Lana Del Rey fans teach a course in being a terrible crowd

She's not even hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Yeah, Fiona is 4/4 on her albums, and while none of the three follow-ups from the youthful debut have been as popular it was, they've each been better.
    While my point was heavy with critique, I conveyed the exact same core point. I own all 4, they are all good, none is as good as Tidal. I left out that they were progressively better, but thats probably because I cant say that Pawn is lesser than EM. I think they are about equal for different reasons, with EM A being not as strong as either.

My point isnt to say she is bad, measuring her from the ground up. My point is to say that I fully believe she could have made the best female solo album of a generation and measuring her from that potential down.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I'm not better than everyone. I am better than you, however.
    You are a 40 ++, bald, overweight, Dr Who fan, that lives in Mesa (I think), in the basement of the house that was once his mothers, and has invested long hours on a message board about music where you make up for your long life of inadequacy by taking pot shots at others when they try to participate. Yes Tom, you got me, I bow down to your exemplary life. Please may I just touch the hem of your garment so I might be just a touch worthy.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craigoneil View Post
    While my point was heavy with critique, I conveyed the exact same core point.
    you conveyed the exact opposite. intentions are not the same as what everyone else perceives.

My point isnt to say she is bad, measuring her from the ground up. My point is to say that I fully believe she could have made the best female solo album of a generation and measuring her from that potential down.
    and some of us believe she did. christ, what DO you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Psychological projection is the act or technique of defending yourself against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in yourself, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Craig lives in Florida, I think, so maybe cut him some fucking slack. HE LIVES IN FLORIDA.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Let me be clear. I am rude, critical, and passionate. I dont apologize for it.
    You are also rude, critical, and while you may be passionate, you tend to pepper the board with random comments of "you suck" which have absolutely zero value.

Also, glad that PSY01 class worked out for you. Would you like to discuss Jungian archetypes next?

When skimming threads, "you suck" flags are actually a nice reference to quickly discern what’s worthy of a read and who actually does suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

You are a 40 ++, bald, overweight, Dr Who fan, that lives in Mesa (I think), in the basement of the house that was once his mothers, and has invested long hours on a message board about music where you make up for your long life of inadequacy by taking pot shots at others when they try to participate. Yes Tom, you got me, I bow down to your exemplary life. Please may I just touch the hem of your garment so I might be just a touch worthy.
    ^what a dumbass sentence

he is better than you, Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    you conveyed the exact opposite. intentions are not the same as what everyone else perceives.

and some of us believe she did. christ, what DO you like?
    This is what i said
    "While I own all 4 FA albums, her career was a bit of a wet firecracker.
    Tidal was such a strong, well rounded effort. Pawn was rushed and unbalanced, didn't get the support that it should have.
    Extraordinary Machine (both versions) felt a bit half baked, self indulgent, unfinished.
    Idler Wheel, the strongest effort since Tidal IMHO really felt like which EM should have been.
    None of the 3 later albums come within the same zipcode of Tidal. Shes done some stunning one offs along the way.

Overall if you look at the potential that was there from Tidal to the actualization of the career, this was a star college QB who later became a sportcaster after a few rough years in the pro's IMHO.
    You can still see FA in there, but fuck she could have produced the best female solo record of a generation and while I enjoy listening to her albums, I often go back to Tidal and wonder what could have been.

That to me is a sad path and I have the same concern for Lorde.

Llama Del Rey in comparison... isnt fit to carry Fiona Apples bags "

So I said, I own all 4 albums. I said Tidal was the best and that IW was the strongest of the next 3.
    I didnt say that 3 was better than 2 because I dont think it was.
    I critiqued all 3 for the reasons I think they arent as good as 1, other than IW which I didnt really touch on.
    While all 4 albums are solid efforts I consider the body of work against what the potential was and consider the view from that lens to be sad.

You said

"Yeah, Fiona is 4/4 on her albums, and while none of the three follow-ups from the youthful debut have been as popular it was, they've each been better."

So while my response included heavy critique, as I stated, the same core point that all 4 albums are good, and that 2 - 4 progressively got better is the same core point.
    I however didnt judge the work solely from the bottom up but looked at it from the potential down.

The world seems so afraid of critique, that all effort must be met with praise, considering its value from 0 to where it got to. I simply dont see things that way. I also consider the effort in comparison to the potential. So while I can enjoy all 4 albums and like them for what they are, I can also put on a critic hat for a moment and discuss what the body of work could have been based on the potential that it came from.

I like a lot of things and actually categorically discount little. That doesn't mean that there isnt value in taking a critical look at the work and considering it from a different lens.

For the record, I do not live in Mesa. Those people suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

You didnt enjoy the messiah reference? I thought it was befitting of someone with such a high impression of themselves.

P.S. Thank you for your critique of which of us is better, I am sure when I go home tonight I will take that evaluation and use it in place of that of my own and that of my family as you clearly are held in great esteem in the world at large.

your first post on fiona.

Oh and Lorde takes the route of Fiona Apple, I'm calling it first. Weak self indulgent follow up, followed by public breakdown, followed by quirky album that gets rewritten at the last minute followed by a fade into black.

OH and you guys can all lap on my balls for all I care, pucker up butter cup.
    that wasn't a critique, it was just vague shit talking with no semblance of enjoyment for fiona. that was what we were all responding to. but go ahead, post another wall of text and see if anyone agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Craig lives in Florida, I think, so maybe cut him some fucking slack. HE LIVES IN FLORIDA.
    It's true and worse yet I come from a long line of degenerate cousin fuckers.

Psychological projection is the act or technique of defending yourself against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in yourself, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.
    He's also close to 40, and his wife is over 40. Glass houses, etc.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    your first post on fiona.

that wasn't a critique, it was just vague shit talking with no semblance of enjoyment for fiona. that was what we were all responding to. but go ahead, post another wall of text and see if anyone agrees.
    That was an opinion but thanks for pointing it out. At its most critical that is exactly what happened to Fiona. She produced a second album with a title so long the work got damn near no support, had a breakdown at the Roseland in 2000 which lead to a hiatus till EM, which was rewritten after it was leaked and widely considered quirky, and then came back with a 4th album that has heavy critical acclaim but sold 72,000 records as of december 1st of last year vs her last effort which sold 6x better.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

That was an opinion but thanks for pointing it out.
    guys, he's just happy someone is finally noticing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

and then came back with a 4th album that has heavy critical acclaim but sold 72,000 records as of december 1st of last year vs her last effort which sold 6x better.
    Dumb point because the record industry has, you know, completely cratered during the time period between 2006 and 2012.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

that was just his opinion, but thanks for pointing it out!

While I was getting ready for Neutral Milk Hotel in the crowd, a girl about 10 feet away had a Lana sign. I offered my buddy 20 bucks to break it, and immediately four other people chimed in offering additional 20s. There was a hundred bucks on the table to break that sign within about fifteen seconds.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

The record industry cratered before 2006.

The drop in overall revenue (not units sold) has been around 20% over the period. Hardly the 84% drop off between records, but thanks for the music industry update there dip shit.

So did anyone do it? I would have done it for $100 and to be called an asshole as a result.
    Hernan Cattaneo b2b Nick Warren and Guy J @ Kingdom Austin 8/31 | Lone. @ Empire Control Room Austin 9/11 | Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    So did anyone do it? I would have done it for $100 and to be called an asshole as a result.
    No, the girl holding the sign was tiny and responded with nothing but fear and sadness to our conversation (I think we were taking out feelings towards other LDR fans on the wrong person) and someone raised a good point that with security being about three feet away it was probably a quick way to get thrown out or even wristband snipped.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Let's shut it down here everyone.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Craig, I see you are talking shit on Fionna Apple now. Why do you hate women?
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

I'm just glad we all found a safe place to discuss Fionna Apple.

So, um, I enjoyed her set. I didn't know her whole catalog but she sounded on key.

Not a Fiona fan. I would say Lorde > Lana > Fiona
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Ugh
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    I don't know how you handled that...no way could I have sat there and taken it....you're a strong individual.

P.S. the Toy Dolls were awesome

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    This was like, REeeeeeaaaaaaalllly Depressing to read. I am sorry to hear that. Hope you still had a blast. Ughhh FUCK those girls. i wish you got their address or phone numbers so i could at LEASt sign them up for a bunch of telemarketing calls.

CRAZY UPDATE HERE: The can opener girl works with this other chick a buddy of mine is dating. SMALL WORLD! I hope we all run into each other when I'm drunk!

@ brandon: yeah it was a blast other than that. Just had to make the best of it. Saw 40 acts, kept myself busy and met some other awesome people that went solo too.

@baily: Thank you & The toy dolls were great! The synchronized guitar flips/tricks and big skank pit are definitely some highlight moments of the weekend.

EDIT** & to contribute to where this thread went, Fiona apple, is a goddess that would devour LDR and Lorde for lunch.
    Last edited by SONR801; 04-25-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire