Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lana Del Rey fans teach a course in being a terrible crowd

Default Lana Del Rey fans teach a course in being a terrible crowd

So Sunday night, I caught Lana Del Rey's set near the front of it after seeing Neutral Milk Hotel prior to.

I wrote a review of Lana and how her fans displayed some awful behavior: http://www.grimygoods.com/2014/04/21...photos-review/

Feedback appreciated!

Default Re: Lana Del Rey fans teach a course in being a terrible crowd

Lana Del Rey teaches a course in being a terrible performer.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Lana Del Rey teaches a course in being a terrible performer.

Thank you for this GPS.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Lana Del Sgusting
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

So this year the friend I always go to chella with got robbed the night before leaving for the trip and was not able to go, so I found a ride on wednesday and went with two other dudes then met a group of 7 additional cars. Two of which were packed with teenagers from Park City. I wish they would have been id'd at the gates and never allowed in. Those bitches and their obsession with Lana Del Rey was one of the most annoying things I've ever had to endure. Not only were they obsessive, but they had the bitchiest attitudes. I went to sleep pretty early on friday night. While they thought I was sleeping all they did was talk shit about me. I was worried about getting a ride home so I didnt start any confrontations with my rides friends.

Annoying bitch 1: "Oh my god, I was walking by one of the tents and that dude that rode down with you guys saw us and was all "Hey guys! Coachella, woo!" All I could think was oh my god, he is too coachella for me."

Annoying bitch 2: "Seriously, like this is cool and all but get over it"

...It just kept going like this for around an hour. Apparently im too coachella for them which is why i was the only one really prepared. Fucking dolts.

------
    "All I came to see is Lana. The rest of the lineup is good but if i have to stay at that stage till she plays, so I can be up front I will."

----
    "Oh my god did you see Lana when she was all like, "Can i smoke on stage?" and they told her no but then she lit one up anyway. Like what a badass lol."

^That is how they were most of the weekend. One of them forgot to bring a can opener to eat their food through the weekend and during my saturday morning shuttle trip, I took it upon myself to get the price for one then tell her she can grab it for 8 bucks at ralphs if she wants to wake up at 7am. By the way, she mentioned she forgot her can opener while they thought I was sleeping. It was kind of the perfect fuck you bitch moment without causing a shit show.

** For the record I caught the last 20 mins of Toy Dolls then went to Lana and she wasnt half bad. The voice sounded good as did the music. Her attitude is a show and she is a bad actress. I can tell why she has bitchy fans that put up a front. Birds of a feather flock together.
    Last edited by SONR801; 04-24-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

That audience did suck. True story.
    If you don't like it, we got two words for ya...

Trying to walk up for Disclsoure while most of the LDR crowd left was both a nightmare and kind of funny. It was like a rugby scrum with dead-eyed 100 pound high school/college girls who would not budge or even think about uttering an "excuse me". They were all carbon copies of the same rude, self-obssessed, flower-crown-wearing, selfie-taking person. I can't imagine how annoying it was to have them all swarm the stage during NMH.

This cunt should have never played. It's repulsive to me that she was on the lineup.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

It's funny how people say Lorde and Lana Del Rey attract the same audience. I didn't watch Lana Del Rey, but I watched Lorde's entire set and the crowd for her was great. Packed, but great. However, anyone who I have heard talk about Lana Del Rey's crowd has nothing but negative things to say.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

We were way in the back for Lana and were pleasantly impressed with her performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by SONR801 View Post
    So this year the friend I always go to chella with got robbed the night before leaving for the trip and was not able to go, so I found a ride on wednesday and went with two other dudes then met a group of 7 additional cars. Two of which were packed with teenagers from Park City. I wish they would have been id'd at the gates and never allowed in. Those bitches and their obsession with Lana Del Rey was one of the most annoying things I've ever had to endure. Not only were they obsessive, but they had the bitchiest attitudes. I went to sleep pretty early on friday night. While they thought I was sleeping all they did was talk shit about me. I was worried about getting a ride home so I didnt start any confrontations with my rides friends.

Annoying bitch 1: "Oh my god, I was walking by one of the tents and that dude that rode down with you guys saw us and was all "Hey guys! Coachella, woo!" All I could think was oh my god, he is too coachella for me."

...It just kept going like this for around an hour. Apparently im too coachella for them which is why i was the only one really prepared. Fucking dolts.

------
    "All I came to see is Lana. The rest of the lineup is good but if i have to stay at that stage till she plays, so I can be up front I will."

----
    "Oh my god did you see Lana when she was all like, "Can i smoke on stage?" and they told her no but then she lit one up anyway. Like what a badass lol."

^That is how they were most of the weekend. One of them forgot to bring a can opener to eat their food through the weekend and during my saturday morning shuttle trip, I took it upon myself to get the price for one then tell her she can grab it for 8 bucks at ralphs if she wants to wake up at 7am. By the way, she mentioned she forgot her can opener while they thought I was sleeping. It was kind of the perfect fuck you bitch moment without causing a shit show.

** For the record I caught the last 20 mins of Toy Dolls then went to Lana and she wasnt half bad. The voice sounded good as did the music. Her attitude is a show and she is a bad actress. I can tell why she has bitchy fans that put up a front. Birds of a feather flock together.
    Just wow. Some people kill me. Fuck them. I hope you still had a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    It's funny how people say Lorde and Lana Del Rey attract the same audience. I didn't watch Lana Del Rey, but I watched Lorde's entire set and the crowd for her was great. Packed, but great. However, anyone who I have heard talk about Lana Del Rey's crowd has nothing but negative things to say.
    Yep. Both had similar sized crowds, but aside from a few pushy high schoolers here and there, Lorde's crowd wasn't an obnoxious cult. In fact, one of her campers (yeah, Lorde has stage campers already) willingly gave me her spot for Ty Segall and Chvrches. The LDR fans, on the other hand, were a bunch of stuck-up prudes who probably didn't give a shit about anyone else on the entire lineup, then tried to outdo one another like it was some kind of competition over who had the biggest adoration for QUEEN LANA by shoving each other in pain and causing them to be pulled out. Oh, and those bitches ruined Neutral Milk Hotel for everyone, which is the biggest crime of all.

The thing is, Lana herself didn't perform badly at all. She's come a long way in a short time. But her fans ensured that I will never see her again.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    Just wow. Some people kill me. Fuck them. I hope you still had a blast.
    Thank you! I had a GREAT time minus those dingbats My secret weapon was the 12 cups of very potent canna-granola I made that put the kids to sleep at a decent time, haha! That and EXTENDED morning trips to the coffee shop by Ralphs... Air conditioning + Americano + Cheese danish = Sanity
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

I thought I'd have better luck watching her from the beer garden. BOY, WAS I WRONG. I was still almost crushed to death.
    She wasn't bad, but it was still a waste of time:
    -The crowd killed the mood, obviously
    -She didn't fit in the lineup anyways
    -I missed the beginning of Beck, which I regret deeply.

For the life of me I cant understand how anyone can give a passing grade to a "performer" who uses so much echo and back up track in their "performance".
    Artifical flowers look beautiful from afar and are great decoration but they are far from the real thing and while they never die, they never really live.
    This is how I felt about Lorde and LDR. Watch the recordings and its really clear that minus the production tricks and backtrack these girls are bad american idol acts.
    Anyone with a weak voice who can learn to hold the microphone to their mouth at the right time (in Lorde's case she has trouble doing that) can replicate what you saw up on stage.
    Sorry but someone should do a better job curating the "talent" or at least provide better timeslots to artists vs manufactured bullshit.

I have no doubt that Lorde and Lana del Rey are both very talented singers, but I do agree that Lorde needs some back-up help, as in back-up singers since so many of her songs have harmonies and other vocal melodies that one person could not possibly sing alone. She has the pipes. Perhaps Lana may need some training to make her voice project better so that she could forego the backing tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by craigoneil View Post
    For the life of me I cant understand how anyone can give a passing grade to a "performer" who uses so much echo and back up track in their "performance".
    Artifical flowers look beautiful from afar and are great decoration but they are far from the real thing and while they never die, they never really live.
    This is how I felt about Lorde and LDR. Watch the recordings and its really clear that minus the production tricks and backtrack these girls are bad american idol acts.
    Anyone with a weak voice who can learn to hold the microphone to their mouth at the right time (in Lorde's case she has trouble doing that) can replicate what you saw up on stage.
    Sorry but someone should do a better job curating the "talent" or at least provide better timeslots to artists vs manufactured bullshit.
    Sounds to me you simply don't like the artists which is fine. Many, many, many, many, many singers have done the same thing at Coachella numerous times over.

By most accounts, Lorde's weekend one performance was amazing. I know I thought she sounded outstanding. Her voice was great live. Stating otherwise is completely false. If you don't like her, that's one thing, but to say her performance didn't earn a passing grade is pure idiocy. Caling her a "bad American Idol act" is ridiculously far from the truth. You also do know Lorde had a live band on stage with her, no? It wasn't a "backing track".

------

----

Another reason to have a good job and good money...so you don't have to be STUCK with people like that

I don't know how you handled that...no way could I have sat there and taken it....you're a strong individual.

P.S. the Toy Dolls were awesome
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Another reason to have a good job and good money...so you don't have to be STUCK with people like that

I don't know how you handled that...no way could I have sat there and taken it....you're a strong individual.

P.S. the Toy Dolls were awesome
    Give us some more "stock tips" you doofus.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

this video
    http://pitchfork.com/news/54764-lord...ull-set-video/

Lets dissect Tennis Court start at 8:00 min
    Watch the mic 8:35 in is when they hit the back track
    Any time they hit the chorus its really clear that doesnt have the range that her studio productions present.
    11:20 or so in you can really see the track is up front and she peppers it with some vocals.

Im sorry but I just dont buy this as worthy, its artists who cant reproduce what they create in the studio because the heavy use of oversampling and other production tricks to round out the weak voice.
    For someone who produces music that seeks to shine a light on the falseness of the music business, its a real joke.

For the records I hadnt even paid attention to the band prior, because I wasnt critiquing them just the vocalist. However, since you brought it up there are multiple times when they are miming and clearly playing along to a track.
    Hitting pads and not making noise or not hitting pads and having there be noise, clearly shows that its just for show.

This heavy critique may not have anything to do with the enjoyment of the set, which is why it can be widely praised while still being worthy of heavy critique. At the end of the day, every average music lover doesnt care if its all done live, or if its all done with the crutch of tricks, but for me, as a music fan, I consider art worthy of praise being art that is done honestly.

also for the record I liked Lorde prior (didnt care for LDR, but that really started at the SNL performance when it was clear she didnt have the pipes)
    it was only once I saw the Lorde performance that the shine was off the penny for me.

Lordie is terrible. But, OMFG - I love Lana!
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

I thought Lorde's live vocals sounded great, except on Biting Down when her pitch was too sharp (slightly higher than it should have been). I am not speaking to the band or the back tracks that were played, just to her live vocals. Nice, low-pitched and growlly, a great tone overall.

Craig, Dr. Dre and Snoop, despite having a live band, used lots of pre-produced chrouses and backing tracks. As do many singers, rappers and producers live. The band is still there actually performing. There are loops and samples that may be mixed in there, but the band performed. It's also silly to say Lorde has a "weak voice". Like, I seriously don't understand that argument at all.

I think your problem is that Lorde didn't bring a huge choir to help sing the backup vocals. That's really it. She sounded just fine live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Lordie is terrible. But, OMFG - I love Lana!
    Mr. Fuzz once again displaying the fact that he is one of the worst posters on the board.

She does need a backing choir if she continues to have songs with a backing choir of voices though.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    She does need a backing choir if she continues to have songs with a backing choir of voices though.
    She's 17 and very new to large-scale performances. Of course a choir or a few backup singers would help, but for someone who was playing to small club crowds about a year ago, I'd say she's grown a hell of a lot in the past year. Craig's criticism is silly.

Mr. Fuzz once again displaying the fact that he is one of the worst posters on the board.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

------

----

I want to take a lawnmower to these chicks Dead Alive style. I can't even count how many of these types i saw all weekend

Craig, Dr. Dre and Snoop, despite having a live band, used lots of pre-produced chrouses and backing tracks. As do many singers, rappers and producers live. The band is still there actually performing. There are loops and samples that may be mixed in there, but the band performed. It's also silly to say Lorde has a "weak voice". Like, I seriously don't understand that argument at all.

I think your problem is that Lorde didn't bring a huge choir to help sing the backup vocals. That's really it. She sounded just fine live.
    Comparing Dr Dre and Snoop to Lorde is a bit disingenuous. Rap, for the most part, is a musical art about flow, rhyme and delivery, not about singing on key, diction, etc. So stating that these two artists in an art form with wildly different elements and evaluations can then be evaluated similarly with their use of production tricks is a lost argument.

As a general rule I don't tend to enjoy
    1. Singers who cant sing without significant assitance
    2. Artists whose work doesnt translate live because they cant actually produce the sound from the record OR some other live version of that piece with similar artistic merit
    3. DJ's that press play, dont mix, and use sync buttons
    4. Electronic LIVE PA's that use a recorded presequenced set that is the LIVE PA equivalent of pressing play
    5. Bands that dont play their music and instead mime it.

I dont care if Lorde brought backup vocalist vs a track. I care that she produce an honest live effort. She could have used backup vocalists vs the recording and I still would have said that she doesnt have the pipes to recreate the studio tracks live and should instead do a live set that shows off her actual abilities vs trying to recreate a studio sound live, when she clearly doesnt have the chops.

You can take a half ass singer and put them in the studio with a solid tech and produce the lorde album and that may just be what they did. It seems likely when you see her perform live and she needs so much echo and back track to come close to reproducing the sound.

We dont have to agree man, its ok, we may have a different measuring stick for what we consider quality and we dont have to change our ideals. You can like Lorde for your reasons and I can dislike her for my own and we can both be right.