Thread: Spotify vs Rhapsody vs Rdio vs Beats Music vs Slacker vs..?

Default Spotify vs Rhapsody vs Rdio vs Beats Music vs Slacker vs..?

if you use a premium (monthly fee) music streaming service I am curious which one you use and if you like it or not. Library, UI, reliability, etc. What's best?

my AV guy keeps trying to get me to go with Rhapsody but what the fuck does he know.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: Spotify vs Rhapsody vs Rdio vs Beats Music vs Slacker vs..?

Had spotify, but was over them not having an alphabetized library feature. Switched to beats and have been super happy with it so far.

Spotify just updated and now your library (anything you add to Your Music) can be sorted alphabetically. It is a significant change from how they used to work and I still haven't quite made use of it.

Anyway I am using Spotify. I have a lot of playlists for different things. It's great. It is easy to share them and have collaborative playlists (see my signature). It is also slow to start up as they have to sync/check all of the tracks you have in playlists/Your Music to see if they're still available, etc.

I pay $10 a month so I get no ads and can use it on my phone, too. You can stream, which is great for when you have WiFi. You can also have playlists offline and listen whenever. Though same issue applies: very slow to start up, even if you're just going to use offline playlists [well, to be fair it is slow because I shut off background data. I did this because otherwise the app constantly syncs/checks and it'll use a 1GB or so a month].

The selection is quite amazing. It is relatively rare that I can't find something. It's missing all/most of Bill Callahan/Smog, Spacemen 3, Big Black/Shellac, Placebo and Joanna Newsom. They have a great selection of opera, classical and jazz, too.

I want to check out Beats but I have not gotten to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I haven't had a reason to switch from Rhapsody since subscribing in 2006 or 2007. Anything they don't have (rare) I use my free Spotify account for. Current UI is just OK but it gets the job done. Occasionally there's playback errors. I've also heard good things about Rdio.

I used Rhapsody to check out the lineup of Coachella 2005 but it wasn't long after that that I stopped using it and I haven't been back.

This seems to be a decent article comparing several services. It reminds me why I haven't checked out Beats (besides being busy/lazy): I don't care the slightest bit about their expert curation of playlists. I am way fucking better at curating my own playlists.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I've used Rhapsody since 2006 and have never had a reason to switch over. They were were one of the first to go with a streaming model and the others that have come along since haven't offered anything I don't have already with Rhapsody. I like the fact that Rhapsody has a web based UI. Most competing services do not. It maximizes their cross platform support and means I don't have to download a client application if I don't want to. I can log in on my work computer or a friend's computer. Besides that everything else seems to be comparable. Rhapsody support is pretty helpful and quick to respond in case of problems.

I don't like the absence of a library from spotify and Beats doesn't scrobble to last.fm. So I'm not using any right now.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I love Spotify, I've been a premium user for about 6 months.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

check out mountmccabe spotify if you want to be impressed with the service.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I don't like the absence of a library from spotify and Beats doesn't scrobble to last.fm. So I'm not using any right now.
    As I just noted Spotify's latest update changes this. The old library function (that collected everything in your playlists) is gone, replaced by Your Music, to which you can add things by song, album or artist.

I was hanging with a friend the other night and he has Rhapsody on his phone. They didn't have the Avalanches on there, which isn't that obscure of an act. Makes me think their library isn't too deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Still using lastfm premium, which is going away and I will miss, have had spotify premium for a year or so, but I hardly use it. I signed up for beats two months ago for the whole family, and we love it. It's the first service I use almost as much as iTunes. Granted if iTunes ever upped their match cap of 25000 songs I might use it more again, but I got really disappointed when I realized I couldn't load my entire library.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Still using lastfm premium, which is going away and I will miss
    me too. as far as mobile/internet radio goes it was much better than what the others offered and at $3 a month, really affordable.

I use spotify premium whenever I have a 30 day code, but I haven't used it for any of the offline use. Google music lets you upload 80,000 songs for free, and I use that.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Rhapsody

Not sure if spotify has fixed this either, but when you delete something from your playlist that you have downloaded it would not free up that space on your phone. The only way to get that space back was to delete the app and redownload everything you wanted available for offline listening. Such a ridiculous pain in the ass.

I never had that problem. Maybe it's been fixed then.

I use spotify premium because someone stole my iPod and I needed something with a big library for the car. I love the playlists, because I can just run through a ton of my favorites to make a good shuffle, or I can build a long list of new things that have been recommended to me and explore what's coming out. Plus, I can follow John's playlists and find tons of great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

that's exactly what I did this morning Bryan.

signed up for spotify premium (30 day free trial). made a playlist with albums I don't have in iTunes yet based largely on what I've read in the 2014 albums thread. downloaded those to my phone. Played it in the car on the way to work this morning... and it sounded like shit. I was like, oh man, this sucks. Eventually I figured out the default download setting is 96k.. sheesh. just got done re-downloading at 320. I expect this to sound much better.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I use a combination of Spotify Premium and iTunes Match. Pretty much covers my needs for music on-the-go. Played around with Beats via the 90 day trial and while the service was nice enough, nothing about it convinced me to drop my current system.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    that's exactly what I did this morning Bryan.

signed up for spotify premium (30 day free trial). made a playlist with albums I don't have in iTunes yet based largely on what I've read in the 2014 albums thread. downloaded those to my phone. Played it in the car on the way to work this morning... and it sounded like shit. I was like, oh man, this sucks. Eventually I figured out the default download setting is 96k.. sheesh. just got done re-downloading at 320. I expect this to sound much better.
    Just make sure you keep streaming low quality if not on wifi, like when driving, or it will kill your data usage, unless that's not a worry.

I don't use any of them regularly, but the only one that I've used and didn't hate immediately, was Beats Music. I liked it a lot during the short trial period that I had it. If I didn't just use my own playlists/iTunes/whatever I'd probably pay for it.

I use Google Music All Access because it works fantastic with my Nexus 7. It's the same price as everyone else but I like it because its not tied to any social networking at all. I dont have to see the shit everyone else is listening to and they dont see mine. Nobody ever tries to share their garbage playlists wit me and its not tied to Facebook either. Great UI, very easy to save albums for offline use and its web based, so there's no bulky desktop client that you have to start up. There is an app in the android and apple store for mobile use. I should mention it works better on android than iOS.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The other programs are only connected to social networking if you want them to be.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Spotify has a web based player too now

I've had spotify premium for over a year now and I love it. Great depth of their library for music and comedy - the option to choose what rate to download so if you're in a rush you can download an album really fast. I also like the ability to download the music somewhere with wifi and then not having to use/have good data coverage to play it back.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

how does one share a playlist on this thing

Right click on the playlist you want to share and there is an option to (i) create a collaborative playlist where others can add/delete songs (ii) copy HTTP link if you just want to send the playlist to someone via URL which now launches to web app version I believe (iii) share to your feed or to other spotify friends

FACEBOOK
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I got this idea in my head to make a playlist of songs from 1970s FM rock radio. This was my childhood, and now I have 100 songs on shuffle that remind me of swimming with my friends at the public pool in August 1975.

1970s FM "progressive rock" which (slightly) predated AOR. although my playlist does include late 70s stuff, and some 60s stuff that I learned from mid-70s midwestern FM radio.

Spotify Premium costs less per month than half of what I used to spend at the record stores when I had time to listen to new music.

Plus the back catalogue is pretty rich.

Just get the Beatles.