Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Coachella Usually This Dangerously Packed?

Default Re: Is Coachella Usually This Dangerously Packed?

We were in the Sahara for Glitch Mob, and after that experience, I said let's gooooooo.
    The crowd really does depend on the artist & how close you get.
    We saw Calvin Harris from the beer gardens & had PLENTY of space, but I could tell it was pretty crowded just outside the gates.
    If you don't wanna be in the crowd, then don't work your way up to the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Seriously. 2010 was absolutely insane. THAT was insanely packed. This year wasn't too bad at all. Especially with the Do Lab being moved.
    2010 was absolutely horrible, as well as the impetus for GV to close the pedestrian access beyond Ave. 50 on Monroe St. in front of the festival. Motherfuckers were straight up jumping the fence all day. As far as the Do Lab is concerned, I call it the Don't Lab. I'm really grateful that finally got moved, although it was hilarious to hear Bernard Sumner from New Order cry about how it was too loud last year. Maybe he has some pull after all!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

Empire of the Sun was pretty bad even in the back right. It was a balancing act/shove match inside so I left. The traffic between the Main and Outdoor was bad at night especially if you were close to the fences. It was kind of predictable though but when you're with friends you cant plan out things as well as when you're alone.

Empire of the Sun was packed for how shitty they were/are.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Is Coachella usually so dangerously packed with giant pussies?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post

No.
    Only since 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Was 20 feet outside the back of the tent for Flume and even that was too crowded. No room to move or dance, gf wanted to leave and I gladly obliged. Never would have guessed it to be that popular of a set

My only time venturing to the Sahara was Fat Boy Slim and then Empire of the Sun. We left because it was crazy, and I wanted to see Flume and the Flume crowd was terrible. It was almost like a mosh pit and we weren't even in the tent. It was the only time I pushed through a crowd to leave, apologizing saying, "sorry, it's so bad over there" and people nodded and helped me out. It was the worst I'd experienced. Only other bad crowd vibe was walking against the flow of idiots flocking to Calvin Harris, trying to get to Little Dragon. I didn't stand a chance!
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

No.
    Go fuck yourself.

idk, I (luckily?) skipped the infamous 2010, but I've been going for most of the last ten years and 2014 weekend one felt more crowded to me than any other year.

Friday was ridiculous, and Saturday near Empire of the Sun was scary, but Sunday was great.

The crowd was more like 2010 than, say, 2009 or 2011. Granted, I haven't been to the festival since 2011 so maybe it just felt more crowded than it was. Moving the Do Lab did wonders for getting across the field, though.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

No way. Look at these happy girls of Coachella (picture in the link) ... what the ...

http://variety.com/2014/music/news/h...en-1201161228/
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

I also freak out around large crowds and also create disastrous scenarios in my head. The only difference is that I think about where is the safest place to be then place myself accordingly.

You sound like a fraidy cat without a plan.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Similarly to most people above - the main years I remember Coachella being crazy packed is 2010 and prior, maybe 2009 is in the discussion too. Because before that, Coachella wasn't known as much, so it seemed like the grounds weren't as packed. The crowds now seem definitely less crowded - only at night does the crowds seem to swell to somewhat annoying levels if you are trying to walk around the grounds. Which is another reason that I like to check out the random acts performing against the headliners, to get away from the crowds.

There have been only a few times that I've been truly scared in the crowd at Coachella - 2010 when I was up in the front for Faith No More, and tried to get out of the front section, but felt like I was being crushed alive by Muse fans. Also, in 2007 after Rage Against the Machine when we were heading to the campground - there weren't enough pathways open to the campsite, and the crowd had simply nowhere to go - I had to jump over the turnstile at the entrance in order to not feel like I was going to be crushed.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    If you want to see overcrowded, get in a time machine and go back to 2010.
    After 2010 and trying to go to the Outdoor stage for Thom Yorke... This year was a cake walk! Only time I saw a shit show was everyone running towards Main stage for Calvin. I luckily didn't give a shit about EOTS and had an amazing time watching QOTSA with more than plenty of room to enjoy myself.
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

10/03 Odesza @ MHOW
    10/11 American Football & Into It. Over It. @ Webster Hall
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ T5
    10/16 Chet Faker @ Webster Hall
    10/17 Minus The Bear @ Gramercy Theater
    10/29 Brother Ali @ The Knitting Factory
    10/30 togetherPangea @ Bowery Ballroom
    11/08 The Polish Ambassador @ Irving Plaza
    11/13 CunninLynguists @ Webster Hall
    11/22 St. Lucia @ T5

Thom Yorke in 2010 was the low point of my 10 Coachellas. Nothing I've seen since even comes close.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So maybe it's good that I missed Thom Yorke...? :/ I was waiting blitzed out of my mind over at the main stage for Gorillaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

No.
    so funny

Lurker

I was at the same set. I got near the front for Fatboy Slim and when that was over I wanted to leave but a HUGE rush of people started pushing to get to the front for Empire of the Sun.
    These folks made it very difficult for the four of us to exit the Sahara.
    I would say it was a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    So maybe it's good that I missed Thom Yorke...? :/ I was waiting blitzed out of my mind over at the main stage for Gorillaz.

I was at 2010 - and I was there this year. And I spoke to some of the Golden Voice staff. There were 25,000+ MORE people there this year than in 2010, and while the overall polo field site has expanded, they simply have not adequately expanded the actual stages/tents enough.

Your impression is your impression, but the numbers and festival staff themselves prove this year was way way more crowded and crazy. So do not discount the original poster's point, because frankly she's absolutely right. Coachella has never been that packed before.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    If you want to see overcrowded, get in a time machine and go back to 2010.
    My post re: this year being certifiably WAY more crowded than 2010 is in response to this poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    obviously not by the way you're posting...it wasn't a clusterfuck this year by any means.
    End of story...Saturday night was def packed but not dangerous at all.
    We stay in a house full of a Coachella vets. We've all been to at least 4, some to 6+. EVERYONE agreed this year was insane, we all had "crazy crowded / this has never happened before" stories from various sets. Never mind what festival staff said off the record about this year. Maybe not "a cluster**ck" but overcrowded and barely manageable? Absolutely.

It seems this is all heavily dependent on which sets you went to. The only times it felt overcrowded were the 15 minutes I spent in the Sahara to see Fatboy Slim, walking from the Outdoor to the Main before Outkast, and the LDR crazies rushing us after NMH finished.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Grace44 View Post
    My post re: this year being certifiably WAY more crowded than 2010 is in response to this poster.
    You're aware that the grounds have been expanded, yes? Oh, and isn't Grace that person who was trying to humblebrag about scalping but not scalping at as high a price as other scalpers? Fuck her.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Grace,

Everyone.. EVERYONE.. you stayed with this year is a fucking idiot. If they say 2014 was worse than 2010, they weren't there in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I was at 2010 - and I was there this year. And I spoke to some of the Golden Voice staff. There were 25,000+ MORE people there this year than in 2010, and while the overall polo field site has expanded, they simply have not adequately expanded the actual stages/tents enough.

Your impression is your impression, but the numbers and festival staff themselves prove this year was way way more crowded and crazy. So do not discount the original poster's point, because frankly she's absolutely right. Coachella has never been that packed before.
    If you talked to any "staff" they should know that there is a maximum capacity for the festival and it was only raised by about 5,000 people this year and with the expanded terrace, craft beer gardens, larger Yuma Tent and relocated Do Lab, this year was absolutely nowhere near close to 2010 and I am someone who watched EOTS, Fatboy Slim, Lorde, Capital Cities and various other popular acts throughout the weekend and I only felt like a packed sardine near the Sahara.

Also, the festival promoter himself said there were approximately 30,000 people who snuck in back in 2010, which was on top of the 75,000 passes they sold that year. Back when there was no terrace, no yuma, no craft beer gardens and the Do Lab planted right in the middle of it all. You are absolutely insane if you think this was anywhere nearly as bad as 2010. It took people over four hours to get inside on that Friday because of how crowded it was.

We stay in a house full of a Coachella vets. We've all been to at least 4, some to 6+. EVERYONE agreed this year was insane, we all had "crazy crowded / this has never happened before" stories from various sets. Never mind what festival staff said off the record about this year. Maybe not "a cluster**ck" but overcrowded and barely manageable? Absolutely.
    Most of us here are, as you put it, "Coachella Vets". This was my 8th time and many other people responding to you in here have been to more than that. I can tell you that you and all of your friends are certifiably retarded.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 04-23-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Empire of the Sun was definitely dangerously packed, it was a bad situation. I was there in 2010 as well and this set was worse than anything I remember from that year. Overall though 2010 was more packed than this year.

2010 was unbearably packed. 2014 was not "dangerously packed". Paul Tollett has admitted he could fit many poor people at the polo grounds, but he cuts the attendance in order to make it a more comfortable experience, even if it makes him less money.

2010 was so packed that Iglu & Hartly had a full tent...

Iglu & Hartly...
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella