Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Music Festivals

Default Other Music Festivals

Now that everyone is dealing with PCD (Post Coachella Depression - the struggle is real ...)
    I was wondering what other music festivals people get into / go to / think have a lineup that compares this year.

I know there is another forum titled "Other Music Festivals" - and maybe this thread should be moved there ...
    but within that forum, there is a myriad of sub-forums with each thread dedicated to a unique music festival, so you could only debate the pros and cons of that particular festival

i wanted to hear what people were thinking would be a great festival to follow-up with among ALL of the festivals

personally - I'm partial to

- Bonnaroo (never been - I don't really LOVE their lineup this year, but I like the camping aspect of it, and the idea of how it runs late until 4am, and is on a chill farm
    - Roskilde Festival (I went last year for the first time in Denmark - consistent amazing lineup - they even got the Rolling Stones plus a lot of up and coming Scandinavian bands that end up crossing the pond over a year later - I saw GOAT there last year before I even knew who they were - also has a similar until 4am Bonnaroo format)
    - Glastonbury (amazing lineup - love that its on a farm)

Primavera - I don't get all the love that Primavera gets on this forum. It's basically the same lineup as Coachella so I struggle to understand why people dickride this festival always. Also it seems like a commuter festival - you go in for the day then go back to your hotel at night. Don't get it.

Thoughts? Keen on hearing them. Disucss ...

Default Re: Other Music Festivals

There's threads for these festivals, lazy asshole.
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

He's "partial to" a festival he's never been to.

OP: there's an entire subforum dedicated to this topic.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/forum...usic-Festivals

You guys didn't read what I wrote

I said - I know there already is a subforum dedicated to each UNIQUE festival where you can debate the pros and cons of that UNIQUE festival - but I wanted to hear a global opinion debating ALL of the festivals - on a general basis

and TomAz - I said I was partial to the format of bonnaroo

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chadmims View Post
    I said - I know there already is a subforum dedicated to each UNIQUE festival where you can debate the pros and cons of that UNIQUE festival - but I wanted to hear a global opinion debating ALL of the festivals - on a general basis
    This makes absolutely no sense.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

A global opinion?

And Primavera is basically the same lineup as Coachella?

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Jesus its not very complicated.

I wanted to see what shows / Festivals people were excited about / looking forward to on a generalized basis this coming summer.

If i go to the "other music festivals" option - and I see "Austin Psych Fest" or "Iceland Airwaves", there I will only find discussions specific to Austin Psych Fest or Iceland Airwaves.

Here - under Misc. Babble - I was curious to see what other shows / Festivals the Boardies were looking forward to now that Coachella was over, and why.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    A global opinion?

And Primavera is basically the same lineup as Coachella?
    Yes global - in both senses of the word. Both geographic and across genres.
    On Primavera - I never get why people (on this Board) always put it on such a high pedastal. Was curious what gets they had, that topped Coachella.
    I don't think they have a camping culture (correct me if I'm wrong) - but in my opinion - Festivals that lack that - lack that sense of community among Festival goers.

So you want us to tell you about festivals in general, across the globe? So basically you want people to make a list of the festivals they've been to and how they compare to Coachella? Honestly, reading the individual threads will give you the answers you're looking for, you'll just have to actually do the work yourself.

January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Alright I give up. I have mine.

Was looking for YOUR opinions / YOUR interests for the summer.
    Stupid me for thinking I could come to a music festival forum and hold a conversation with people interested in music about music festivals.

Really friendly bunch.

There are a lot of social elitist on this forum, chadmims. Tomaz, guidita...etc...there the fucking losers in real life that can basically find the negative in everything and then whine about them on this forum. They can go fuck themselves over and over.

to answer your question though, demf.

Follow up question: what the fuck is a social elitist?

Alright I give up. I have mine.

Was looking for YOUR opinions / YOUR interests for the summer.
    Stupid me for thinking I could come to a music festival forum and hold a conversation with people interested in music about music festivals.

Really friendly bunch.
    I would browse the prior years threads for festivals that you are interested in. You may find reviews from other member's experiences towards the end of the thread. Also if you stick around long enough you will find out where people are going and what festivals are popular and the reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by homersexual View Post
    There are a lot of social elitist on this forum, chadmims. Tomaz, guidita...etc...there the fucking losers in real life that can basically find the negative in everything and then whine about them on this forum. They can go fuck themselves over and over.

to answer your question though, demf.
    LOL LOL LOLLL
    Thanks for answering - DEMF, that one's actually new to me - will look into it.

By the way - amazing handle.

Maybe I should get my title changed to Social Elitist

Not to be a total social elitist or anything, but if you're researching the DEMF homersexual is referring, you should be made aware that it's actually called Movement Electronic Music Festival, and it's put on by paxahau.

There was a DEMF slotted for this year that was going to happen 4th of July weekend but has been postponed til 2015.

Not to be a total social elitist or anything, but if you're researching the DEMF homersexual is referring, you should be made aware that it's actually called Movement Electronic Music Festival, and it's put on by paxahau.

There was a DEMF slotted for this year that was going to happen 4th of July weekend but has been postponed til 2015.
    Shhhhhh! This is privileged information reserved for the social elite.

January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    I would browse the prior years threads for festivals that you are interested in. You may find reviews from other member's experiences towards the end of the thread. Also if you stick around long enough you will find out where people are going and what festivals are popular and the reasons why.
    thanks - i have a rough idea of some people's tastes (been lurking a while).
    i know guedita likes Deep House (but not the scene in LA) - possibly progressive - probably likes techno (90s / early aughts) - minimal tech.
    tomaz apparently hates daft punk.

nathanfairchild actually has what I would consider the most musical overlap with myself judging by his sig (austin psych fest and sonar barcelona) ...
    i'm a huge fan of psych rock (pink floyd) / contemporary psych rock (tame impala, jagwar ma) and progressive / french house / minimal / european indie dance (from the sonar barca set - gesaffelstein, plastikman, moderat, richie hawtin, four tet (actually saw them once and was underwhelmed), bonobo (who i missed for nico jaar, biggest regret)

also from TX (like me) but ive lived in nyc since graduating highschool
    anyway he was definitely the friendliest - go figure ...

alright guys - i'll go back to lurking.
    Peace.

thanks - i have a rough idea of some people's tastes (been lurking a while).
    i know guedita likes Deep House (but not the scene in LA) - possibly progressive - probably likes techno (90s / early aughts) - minimal tech.
    That cuts me, man. That cuts me deep.

That cuts me, man. That cuts me deep.
    HA ! So is that a yes or a no?
    (My gut is telling me no ...)

Primavera - I don't get all the love that Primavera gets on this forum. It's basically the same lineup as Coachella so I struggle to understand why people dickride this festival always. Also it seems like a commuter festival - you go in for the day then go back to your hotel at night. Don't get it.
    Yeah, basically the same lineup, but it would be nice to see Slint, Television, Loop, St. Vincent, Nine Inch Nails, Yamantaka//Sonic Titan, Speedy Ortiz, Sun Ra Arkestra, Jesu, Kronos Quartet, Slowdive, Moderat, Caetano Veloso, Kendrick Lamar a second time, so why not.

Hopping on a train or bus back to a hostel, hotel or apartment at the end of the night really does suck compared to #yoloing to trap music all night at camp or taking a refreshing, hour-long march through a blizzard of dirt, dust, and horse shit to the 3-hour wait taxi stand or the $30-a-mile uber tent. Total rubbish. No appeal there at all. And what's up with those 5pm-6am times?
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

Primavera also books - Za! Which hasn't ever played a show in California
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Primavera also books - Za! Which hasn't ever played a show in California
    Yep. Don't get me wrong, camping fests like Coachella and Glastonbury can be a lot of fun, but sometimes it's nice to be in an amazing city instead of an isolated field.
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yeah, basically the same lineup, but it would be nice to see Slint, Television, Loop, St. Vincent, Nine Inch Nails, Yamantaka//Sonic Titan, Speedy Ortiz, Sun Ra Arkestra, Jesu, Kronos Quartet, Slowdive, Moderat, Caetano Veloso, Kendrick Lamar a second time, so why not.
    This is helpful - finally something really concrete. Don't know some of those names so keen on looking into them - only know NIN, St Vincent, Television, Moderat and Caetano Veloso.

Coachella actually has really quiet and clean campgrounds comparatively speaking (just do a google search of the garbage around some of the foreign ones - you'd have to be there to get a sense of the noise though). It was my first year not camping this year, the bus shuttles were actually amazingly efficient - I don't think I ever waited longer than 30 minutes in the yellow line, and I stayed until the end of the festival every night.

The last night I missed hanging by the campsite, so went with friends into the campground and deliberately stayed past the last shuttle. We went out a side exit past the food court area / medical tent, called a taxi (this was about 2:30am), and had one in 5 minutes. No problem there but we also didn't do the taxi line as we were in an unofficial exit off an access road.

About to turn 30 - so maybe my camping days are over, but really missed the cameraderie and community of the camp ground 'neighborhood'.
    Not camping was far more comfortable - but less rewarding. It took away that "other worldliness" of Coachella you get when you camp.

Also come on - you're camping in a polo field. It's really not roughing it that much.

Well camping at Bonnaroo is terrible. I hated it.

January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yep. Don't get me wrong, camping fests like Coachella and Glastonbury can be a lot of fun, but sometimes it's nice to be in an amazing city instead of an isolated field.
    OK I see what you're saying.

Damn.
    Gurlfrien' is on top of her schiz.

Really. Impressive.
    Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Well camping at Bonnaroo is terrible. I hated it.
    Me too. Waiting ~15-20 hours in line in the car to get a spot, and then the spot was the furthest fucking spot possible from Centaroo entrance. Easily a 2 mile walk.

And Primavera is in fucking Barcelona. I would definitely go there and spend a week in the area but unfortunately right now I don't have the time or money.

So I'm going to Neon Desert Music Festival in El Paso TX over Memorial Day weekend. 2 days, early-bird tix where $55 and they have a capacity of around 12k. Plus, it's in my home town.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I would definitely recommend that people do everything in their power to take a vacation to Spain and do Primavera. It is probably the best thing I have ever done in my life. 2 weeks in Spain, including an amazing music festival.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern