Thread: Weekend 2, Day 2, not as long, fuck who am i kidding

Default Weekend 2, Day 2, not as long, fuck who am i kidding

Decided to show up a little later so we could to the end of the day vs Friday where we left early.

Got in for the start of Cage the Elephant. Solid live performance.
    Never seen them live and my wife is much more into the band than I am.
    The front man really brought it, lots of energy and antics without going severely over the top. That drew me in.
    Musically, I cant say I'm any more of a fan than I was prior but I have a lot more respect for the band then before seeing them live.

Headed over to CHVRCHES. Gotta love the right side of the outdoor. Always room to spread out and shake your ass pretty close to the stage. Why everyone lines up so deep in front I'll never understand. While this doesnt have anything to do with the music, I remember the lead singer saying last week that they couldnt have their backdrop up because of the wind. Well, they had the backdrop up and if you are going to mention something to someone make sure its work mentioning. (damn im a winey fuck)
    Musically the band was on point, while I think most people can get bored watching someone work pads, I dug it and loved the energy. Hung around till Recover, sang the shit out of it and danced. Then ran to see Holy Ghost!

Holy Ghost! was not on my radar prior to Coachella. So I had no songs to wait for, nothing to expect, just heard good things here and through friends.
    Star set. Great crowd. Dance party with great connection between the band and the crowd that pushed waves back and forth, you could really feel and see it. I'd love to see them again. Not sure the music is something I would normally listen to at home but the live experience was infectious, I went from taking it all in to getting down and shaking my ass. Didnt need to know the music just felt it and it kept coming.

After some wandering, off to the Yuma for Cajmere. Again, the Yuma does not disappoint. Got to a perfect spot, off to the right hands side of the DJ booth about 25 feet back. Between the back stack of speakers and the stage. That spot, is a fucking cocoon, great sound. Music wise it felt a bit between Cajmere and Green Velvet. Not as chicago housy as i was expecting, but no complaints. It was deeper and darker and groovy and sweaty and what house is all about. Man is it nice to hear DJ's mix. To be able to pick out the mix, know that he isnt syncing the tracks and feel someone move the energy up and down to really move you. I think my FB update was, "There is nothing like proper house music, long live the yuma, cajmere rocks!" That pretty much says it all.

Then, off to Dillon Francis, this one isnt my choice but the wife heard a mix of his and wanted to catch the set. By now my feet are feeling their age and we hung back outside the tent to recharge. Great people watching sitting back across from the Sahara. Musically, I'll say this, Dillon Francis is a the shitty DJ I hate the least. The music isnt my favorite, but he uses less of the electro house, big room, cliche beats that I cant stand and once in a great while plays something that I actually like. Its sort of like saying he's my favorite type of shit sandwich but for what its work thats how I feel about it. Also, can we please stop giving this jackasses microphones, seriously.

Then, Lorde, same right hand spot, got up pretty close considering how packed it was (I had no idea how close I was considering, more on that it a bit).
    I'm sorry, I'm going to say it. If they paid that girl $x to perform, they should get 1/2 their money back, cause she sings along to a backing track and if you count the times she is really working its about 1/2 of the time you hear vocals. I still to this day have no idea if this girl can sing and I think its funny to hear a girl sing about the bullshit of life while doing so with a thick backing track. This feels manufactured, a false note, and I left feeling like this is a one and done type of thing. I hope I'm wrong because its actually nice to see someone without all the paint and hair and bullshit but I just feel duped. If she can actually sing, she should be back in control of her career and do a live show that shows it. Then after 30 minutes it was off to the main for Foster the People. Let me say, getting out of this crowd was UNREAL. It went so far back, pretty much all the way to the Gobi and damn near to the edge of the main stage. I didnt realize till then how close we were.

Foster the People by example was sparse. We grabbed the rail next to the sound booth. It wasn't crowded. This is one of the wifes favorites. She likes the new album, I'm not a fan of the new album but dug the first one. The new tracks are getting air play but it feels really adult contemporary to me. Chicks love this shit though cause I was surrounded by young girls with flowers in their hair shaking their ass the and putting their hands up in the air. So, clearly, no complaints on my end. Musically, objectively, I thought they were solid performers, the lead singer can sing and the energy when he goes over to the drum (does everyone have to play the fucking drum now? is the time we live in?) was full on energy. They clearly like the music they are making now vs where they were prior, which actually shows in the lack of real energy in the older tracks. I thought the guy popped a lortab before "pumped up kicks" he damn near went to sleep, like he was thinking, "fuck im so tired of doing this song" Then, half way through he perked up, let the crowd sing along and closed out the track with some energy. I think they are over that period, which I guess is a shame because I liked the energy on that records 10x more than the new record.

Got a little off track at this point, and ended up over at the Sahara for the ending of Fat Boy Slim. As everyone has probably seen now the spaceman was in the tent and that was a killer photo opp. I heard two tracks, cant speak to the mixing or anything, other than WHO THE FUCK PLAYS THE START OF BORN SLIPPY AND DOESNT DROP THE FUCKING VOCAL YOU BRITISH CUNT!!!. Sorry, had to get that out.

Again, a little off track, needed to find a bathroom and the rose garden was PACKED so the best bathrooms with the smallest line are in the Yuma. Same upscale portos and no line. Best festival hack find of the weekend so far. Popped in for 10 minutes of the Magician. That place was a sauna, like knocked the wind out of me hot, and The Majician's set really didnt do it for me. Programming wise the tracks and mixing felt similar to the Sahara, deeper sounds but similar structure. Maybe I caught the wrong part of the set but either way it was too hot to stick around and find out.

Off to the Do Lab. Again, vast improvement over last year. Feels like a proper stage vs an after thought. The DJ was Sweater Beats and damn that is some groovy and baby making music right there. Totally unknown to me prior and really really fucking good. Not sounds I expected, great bass music, R&B, well mixed and the breeze really made it.

Then off to Pharrell. Dude redeemed himself. He promised to bring it to make up for next week and he did. Stayed through TI and Busta (which both made the place erupt) but wanted to make it to Darkside so we dipped. Not sorry we did but the reviews from the rest of the show sounded great. Wish we could have brought our clones.

Darkside, by far my most exciting find of the day. Personally, I have no frame of reference for the band, meaning I cant say "the sound like so and so, with a bit of this type of element" The stage set up, the mirror shooting light across the room, the vocals, the bluesy parts, the techy parts, I literally fell in love with the band. Without a doubt the most excited I've been all weekend, finding something this new and interesting. I'm sure someone will pipe in and tell me there are derivative of something, but for me they were enticing, complex, creative and I'm hooked.

Then the set of the day. PET SHOP BOYS. Shit the intro mix while waiting was better than shit I've heard this weekend. GREAT CROWD! Friendly, polite, great energy, into it. They should take most of the acts and make them watch this show. Dudes are damn near 60 and bring it. Had the funny moment when some young girl ran up and said
    "whose playing next?"
    -- "pet shop boys" --
    "who??"
    --"pet shop boys"--
    ** turns to her friends "we're in the wrong tent, lets go"
    I shook my head, but they are young, I'm sure Skrillex was awesome .

Just the best set of the day, bar none, costumes, visuals, costume changes, the goat people, the vibe.
    I pulled the Dad thing and said, "lets go and beat the crowds back to the shuttles", but 18 year old me hates me for it.
    Those guys are twice to 3x the age of some of the acts out here and put on a show that puts a lot of people to shame. Loved it!

Default Re: Weekend 2, Day 2, not as long, fuck who am i kidding

You go to Foster the People, but don't stay for Queens of the Stone Age? Worthless.

Yeah, I know, I'm a cunt. We saw them in passing while getting lost.
    For what it's worth, they sounded great from hundreds of feet away.
    QOTSA and The Pixies are both sets I would have liked to see but didn't.
    I dont have an emotional connection to either band, other than knowing they are quality music and iconic but I didnt grow up listening to either.
    I blame it on my poor white trash upbringing.

I blame it on you being from Florida

I bet you would get along great with theklein.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Enjoyed the write-up.

A completely different musical experience from mine 1 week prior.

Same festival. And that's why, after all the grumbling, I'll probably be back.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

"FUCKIN' CRAAAAAAAAIG!" - Craig O'Neil's bros when he shows up to the Chevelle concert with a case of Keystone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

+10000000 to Darkside. One of those rare moments where I'm surprised by music. Absolutely ate it up.

Quote Originally Posted by billypilgrimisunstuck View Post
    +10000000 to Darkside. One of those rare moments where I'm surprised by music. Absolutely ate it up.
    Sounds like you ate something else as well.

DARKSIDE were fucking phenomenal , I was so impressed. Easily the best set of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Enjoyed the write-up.

A completely different musical experience from mine 1 week prior.

Same festival. And that's why, after all the grumbling, I'll probably be back.
    I was wondering if I was at the same festival wk1. However, I don't think we will be back

Glad the OP had a great time and took the time for the write up.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    You go to Foster the People, but don't stay for Queens of the Stone Age? Worthless.
    Can't believe they passed up QOTSA for this! Best set of the weekend!
    Last edited by Lynn163; 04-21-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Shit spelling

cage the elephant was cool when they weren't bitching about the crowd sucking ass.

"Good morning coachella" @3pm